Mariah Bell cheer thread: Rise Up

DreamSkates

I can't add more to what other posters have said about Mariah's magical, beautiful skate - maybe how we were standing on our feet cheering and crying and roaring and clapping before she eneded and how that erupted inot even more when she was taking her bows at the end and in tears. She deserved every point (151+?).
Edit: I have a photo but don't see a way to add it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am very happy to hear that Mariah had a great skate at the nationals. I hope that carries into worlds. Can't wait to see the videos but probably they are blocked by now.

Fiero425

:sasha1:
I am very happy to hear that Mariah had a great skate at the nationals. I hope that carries into worlds. Can't wait to see the videos but probably they are blocked by now.

Mariah was quite impressive! Emotionally the crowd was with her with many feeling teary-eyed over her performance, but I knew Liu would blow her out of the water just because of her jumping ability! Liu is probably the only lady who'll be able to compete against the Russians and Japanese in the future! Too bad she's too young to go compete abroad now! :sasha1:

DreamSkates

:sasha1:

Mariah was quite impressive! Emotionally the crowd was with her with many feeling teary-eyed over her performance, but I knew Liu would blow her out of the water just because of her jumping ability! Liu is probably the only lady who'll be able to compete against the Russians and Japanese in the future! Too bad she's too young to go compete abroad now! :sasha1:
There is more than one kind of winner. Alysa - certainly applaud and appreciate her technical abilities - but Mariah won the night for me in many ways.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Since I am limited in my computer use right now, I watched Mariah's free skate without the sound. I could 'see' though not hear the crowd reaction, and her reaction when she finished. I hope to watch this with the music at some point. I hope she can reproduce this at worlds. It won't matter if she medals or not, but the sheer joy of skating one's best must be awesome.

Cachoo

There is more than one kind of winner. Alysa - certainly applaud and appreciate her technical abilities - but Mariah won the night for me in many ways.
In my mind Alysa was the clear winner in the 17 and younger set (girls) and Mariah won the night with the 18 and over group (women.)

DreamSkates

Adam's a good coach. He may think of this as his "relaxation" right now, but I'll bet there'll be other skaters wanting to work with him.
Not likely relaxed at the Championships. In an interview with him and Mariah, he said he at 12 cookies before the long program! and when Mariah was completing her last seconds of the free program he was at the boards jumping up and down!

Bellanca

Turbo is such a cutie! 🐇

ETA: respectfully requesting more Turbo pics! 🐰

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
New article by Nick McCarvel in which Mariah's program music is revealed (scroll down to read the transcribed interview):
Excerpts:
...this season Rippon has choreographed her short to “Glitter in the Air” by pop artist Pink [link to listen to the song on YT].
And for the free skate? Bell’s other choreographer, Shae-Lynn Bourne, has laid out a fan favourite for her: ABBA.
“I've done some slower (programs) the last few seasons, and it was kind of like… as much as I would love to do something like that again, I need to push myself out of my boundaries a little bit,” she explains. “I'm super excited about it. I've got ‘Dancing Queen’ in there, and then I also have a slower part with ‘The Winner Takes it All.’”
“It's just something different. … I feel like these two programs have the potential, again, to be so special for me.”
OC: This is a strange time right now. What are you trying to focus on in your skating? Maintaining certain things… adding other things?
Bell:
There's this awesome opportunity right now (with few) competitions on the horizon, so it's the perfect time to work on new elements. I am working on some new elements and working on new combos, including different spins and trying to use the time well. And obviously triple Axel, which has always been something that I believe that I can do. We spent a little bit of time on that last season, but it was kind of hard because of all the competitions.

I am trying different things; I think the sky is the limit. I believe that I can do so much more. And I think I'm just getting started. You know? I am often asked about my age. Twenty-four? That used to be ancient in skating. (But) I feel so young because I feel like I have so much to learn still. I think that keeps my spirit young… that’s what Rafael tells me. We have so much more that we can do. We’ll see. I'll see what happens.

I think it's actually a really special opportunity for skaters to have this time to work on these other things and maybe when conditions come back (it will be) even more interesting. Maybe everybody will be completely different. It kind of makes it more interesting.
Video montage that includes both audio & video from her interview (with an appearance by her bunnies at the end :)): https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...ter-mariah-bell-i-want-to-push-my-boundaries/

Last edited:

Bellanca

^ Thanks for sharing a great interview from MB. Plus, we got more Gizmo and a new buddy or two?! The family is expanding. 💥 👏

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
New interview with Mariah.

Bell knew she wanted a medley of songs for her free skate and Bourne proposed ABBA. Bell turned it down, then listened to it while on the ice and fell in love. The program includes four of the Swedish pop band's hits: "Dancing Queen," "Mamma Mia," "Thank You for the Music" and "The Winner Takes It All."

"It's turning out to be one of my most favorite programs I've ever done," Bell said. "It's super interesting and I like it because it pushes me out of my comfort zone to be a little more creative. It's also a great time to do that – we have this season and then the next one is the Olympic season, so I can choose if I keep these or what kind of style in the last three years worked well for me and choose programs based on that for the Olympic season."

Sylvia

TBD
New interview with Mariah.
For those too lazy to make the extra click ;), here's the article by Brandon Penny:
Coach Rippon's quote at the end:
"I think one thing that I've seen is Mariah under pressure skates a million times better," Rippon noted. "I want to see more consistency in her practices, so she can feel even more solid when she goes to these events.

"She did an excellent job last season, but to be on the Olympic team she's going to need to show she's very consistent and super reliable. For Mariah, her secret weapon is she will need to be the most solid and reliable skater that they have. I think she can do that."

Bellanca

^ I sure hope so because the look on Mariah's face in the kiss and cry when her Nationals score posted and she realized that she had missed out on making the PyeongChang Olympic team was heartbreaking.

alexikeguchi

I really enjoyed Mariah's program at Skate America. What I love about her skating is that she has such a great phrasing in her movements. She is able to fine tune her speed, bladework, and upper body movement with such sensitivity. I feel she is almost in a class by herself in this regard.

ETA Omigosh! She is so charming and adorable in her interview!

Last edited:

Allskate

I really enjoyed Mariah's program at Skate America. What I love about her skating is that she has such a great phrasing in her movements. She is able to fine tune her speed, bladework, and upper body movement with such sensitivity. I feel she is almost in a class by herself in this regard.

ETA Omigosh! She is so charming and adorable in her interview!

ITA. Love the short program. And the interview was wonderful. I thought it was great that she went out of her way in the interview to say how fortunate they are to have the opportunity to compete and to note the hard work of those who made it happen.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for bumping this thread back up @alexikeguchi :D - here are 2 recent articles that I posted earlier this month in the U.S. Ladies thread in GSD:

Lynn Rutherford spoke to Mariah and Molly Oberstar (co-choreographer of Bell's SP to "Glitter in the Air") before the 2nd opportunity Points Challenge results were known for this article that was published on Oct. 7: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2020/O...Off-New-International-Season-At-Skate-America

Article by Phil Hersh with several quotes from "fairy godmother" :D Rippon (Oct. 22):
“I want Mariah to have the same experience [I did]. She can’t control what the other girls do. I have told her that doing what she does really well should always be her focus.”
Bell is training a triple Axel, so far without success. Rippon also has her working on doing more than one triple-triple jump combination in a free program. Some days, he will have her try five triple-triples in a run-through, and Bell did a second triple-triple at one of the ISP events, falling on the second jump of the combination.
“Definitely in these days, we need skaters internationally who have triple Axel and quad,” Arutunian said by phone on his way to Las Vegas this week. “Unfortunately, it is very difficult when a skater comes to you this late.” (Bell was 20 when she began working with him in 2016.)
“Who is to say I won’t do a quad or a triple Axel?” Bell said. “Is it easier for younger athletes? Sure. But I’m just coming into my prime.”
(Arutunian said the exact same thing about Adam as well. ;))

I thought Mariah didn't skate as freely as she can in her SP tonight, but she had a bit of a rough practice & SP run through earlier today so I was happy she landed everything and received all level 4s on her spins & step sequence. :)

She has swapped in a 2A+3T combo at the start of her ABBA medley FS (she landed 7 triples in her run through on Thursday but only did that one combination jump) - here's hoping she will have a performance she's happy with tomorrow!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information