2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

Alvyne

Translation of this article, where Charlie explains his reasons for retiring.

At the time of writing, I have not yet announced it to my coaching staff or my partner, Lubov Ilyushechkina.

But my decision is irreversible: it's over. Today I am officially turning the page. I say goodbye to figure skating.

It's an indescribable relief. A feeling of freedom like I haven't felt in a very long time.

At the same time, I feel guilty and I dread the moment when I'm going to have to tell them. I know it will be a hard blow for Lubov and for Richard Gauthier, our head coach. But for once, I want to listen to myself, follow my instincts and, above all, take the time to explore what life without skating has to offer.

The reality is that I got back into this project when I was already down on one knee. Exhausted from the last few years, I got back on track with a new partner, like a good workaholic.

After the Pyeongchang Games in 2018, everyone was surprised by my break-up with my old partner. After all, Julianne Séguin and I had pulled off a tour de force by placing in the top ten couples at our first Olympic Games, despite a course full of pitfalls and injuries.

But something inside me had broken without me really understanding it. When I came back from South Korea, I thought I needed a change of scenery. A complete renewal to get my career back on track. A fresh start to get my motivation back. What I wanted to avoid at all costs was making the same mistake I made during my first Olympic cycle. I had let figure skating take up all the space.

I'm a jack-of-all-trades. My energy is generated by my ability to have a diverse life. That's what feeds me. But elite sport no longer allowed me to keep that balance.

My whole life revolved around one goal: going to the Games. Once I achieved that goal, I wondered what the next step would be like.

Since the age of 14, when I left the family nest in Trois-Pistoles alone to move to Montréal, I wanted to accomplish something bigger than myself. To prove to myself that I could achieve what seemed, at the time, a utopia.

This may sound strange to you, but I'm not a figure skating enthusiast. I'm more of a lover of sliding, in all its forms. But it was in skating that I had the greatest talent. If I wanted to achieve my Olympic dream, this was the best vehicle to get there. So I got on board. I told myself that if I could get there, I would be happy, fulfilled and life would open up for me.

And I did it! To this day, I still can't believe it. I am and always will be a member of the Olympic family.

And then the emptiness came. And instead of looking it in the face, I kind of ignored it.

On the front, everything was fine. I even managed to make myself believe that everything would be better with a new partner. That I was going to find happiness in skating with Lubov. When we started our new partnership in February 2019, my goals were clear.

I had already achieved my first dream, which was to participate in the Games. If I was ready to embark on a new adventure, it was for the medal. To be on the podium was my ultimate goal.

But I promised myself that I would do it with balance in my life. I was going to put all the necessary energy into training, but I was also going to keep some space to cultivate my other interests.

During the year I stayed away from my sport, I revisited some of my old passions. I started renovating my condominium myself and went back to school full time. I took some time for myself. But I was still blinded by greed. I wanted an Olympic medal at all costs.

That's when the opportunity to skate with Lubov presented itself. I contacted her, and before long, the chemistry set in. We had three years to form a strong partnership and become competitive enough to aspire to an Olympic podium. We surrounded ourselves with a new team. We joined Richard Gauthier's school, which welcomed us with open arms.

The honeymoon lasted almost a year. We were lucky enough to have the world championships in Montreal in 2020. We thought it would be an incredible springboard to establish our reputation on the world stage. It was not a foregone conclusion since five Canadian couples were fighting for two passes. But we were confident. We had a phenomenal and very promising start to the season. Everything seemed to indicate that we had a realistic chance of getting our spot on the Canadian delegation.

We worked hard. We trained even harder.

Then skating slowly came back into my life. It took over the whole place.

We had to place in the top two at the Canadian championships to get our ticket. But the closer the championships got, the harder the training got. The stress was omnipresent. What was natural for us at the start now seemed more complicated. We were struggling to improve our technical content while maintaining a high level of performance.

I could see the competition coming, and in my heart of hearts, I doubted it. I even talked to my psychologist about it.

"There are days when I wish I could hurt myself to have an easy way out. To have a reason to withdraw and move on. »

When she asked me if I wanted to go deeper into my reaction, I took offense. I said no!

I can't dig down to understand what's at the bottom of these thoughts for fear of realizing that I'm somewhere else in my life.

I was in denial.

It was in that state of mind that I went to the Canadian championships. But don't think I didn't take this competition seriously. Lubov and I gave it my all. But the result was disappointing. After a strong short program we had a counter-performance in the free skate that took us out of the race.

Against all odds, Skate Canada decided to wait until after the Four Continents Championships to name the second couple to compete at worlds. I should have welcomed this opportunity... We had another chance to qualify.

But deep down inside, I still had this discomfort. A kind of ball that was gradually invading me. Even at home, I wasn't the same person anymore. I didn't have any energy left. Skating drained me instead of motivating me.

It was really hard. And that's when it hit me. I told myself that, at worst, the four continents would be my last competition. Worst case scenario, I'd retire.

When I got home, I went back to see my psychologist and we analysed what was behind my discomfort.

And when it became clear to me, I felt so relieved!

So I skated for the last time at these championships. Two poor performances. I'm sorry, but I'm not surprised. My soul was gone. And to be successful in figure skating, you have to be invested with your whole being. I just couldn't do it anymore.

I'm also feeling a sense of guilt. Guilt for Lubov and Richard, but also guilt for Julianne.

She will always be the person I had the best time with in my career. She's the one I've worked with through the greatest trials and tribulations of my career. I hope she understands that the problem wasn't her. Our breakup was probably a big blow to her. Julianne may have even felt that it was because she wasn't up to it, but it wasn't. I had to change my environment and explore something else to see where my lack of motivation came from. Was it the context of my training? Or was it deeper? Today I know. But to know for sure, I would have had to shake up a lot of things around me.

Lubov and Richard have now been advised. It's not ideal to make this kind of announcement by video conference, but with the confinement, I had no choice. Lubov wanted us to call each other to plan the next step. I had to tell her the conversation wasn't going to be the one she was expecting.

I understand it's a big disappointment to them. Especially for Lubov, who dreamed of competing in her first Olympics with me. I realize the sacrifices she's made and it breaks my heart to feel sorry for her. But I also feel that, in some ways, Richard understands me. Richard has always wanted his athletes to be happy. I wasn't happy anymore.

The world of figure skating has given me a lot. I have met people who have accompanied me on this journey and helped me become the man I am today. To the coaches, choreographers, psychologists, federation members and all the skaters with whom I have shared so many great moments, I want to say thank you.

To Julianne and Lubov, rest assured that I have always been honest in my approach.

The dream I have cherished all my life is behind me and I realize that this accomplishment has not changed who I am. To be precise, I love the person I have become and what I have accomplished through my athletic journey. But I'm mad at myself for believing that all that mattered was the finish line. I promise myself that I won't take that approach again.

Most importantly, I realized that what I saw as a finish line was really just the beginning of my life.

Skating is part of who I am. But it's not who I am.

I find it exciting not knowing what the future will be made of. It leaves all the doors open for me. I can't wait until after COVID-19 to see what's behind it.

Last edited:

screech

It sounds like it was absolutely the best choice for Charlie and his mental health. But absolutely terrible in the way he went about it. I feel terrible for Lubov, who had regained Olympic hopes, but also packed up her life and moved to Montreal for this partnership. While I wish Charlie all the best in his future, I'm not a fan of how he went about this.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
It sounds like it was absolutely the best choice for Charlie and his mental health. But absolutely terrible in the way he went about it. I feel terrible for Lubov, who had regained Olympic hopes, but also packed up her life and moved to Montreal for this partnership. While I wish Charlie all the best in his future, I'm not a fan of how he went about this.

I agree with all of this. I don't like how he went about everything but he sounds remorseful, and he truly sounds broken. I hope he's getting the help he needs.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I wish him well...........sort of. I loved watching them skate. He took a little of my heart and probably a lot of Luibov's.

I think it should be a law that no one should be allowed to make any life changing decisions during the Coronavirus days!

As an aside, a friend of mine is a lecturer and author specializing in the difference in generations, how they communicate, how they each see the world. She says this era is going Covidielles. (Like millennials, but not)

puglover

All the best to Charlie. I hope he can move on and put all of this to rest. I thought I read that Charlie had gotten married a year or so ago. Does anyone know if that is true?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
All the best to Charlie. I hope he can move on and put all of this to rest. I thought I read that Charlie had gotten married a year or so ago. Does anyone know if that is true?

He got engaged last summer, not sure if he married yet.

dramagrrl

For people who didn't see Lubov's IG post, the graphic says, "It's a knife in the back. I had no idea." Clearly, Charlie did everything he could to make himself look good in the press, but his statement in the article that he has always dealt with his partners honestly doesn't seem to be backed up by either of his partners.

Skate Talker

Well it sounds like he has no stomach for facing those most affected by his decisions until he has already "gone public". Perhaps he feels somehow cushioned from the backlash that way or is somehow afraid he might cave in to them? Maybe he just wants to make sure he is first to the media so he get to present his spin on the situation before the others have time to digest and make their own statements? No idea really but I think this is called getting out in front of the situation. Good media strategy but bad relationship strategy?

Rock2

I for one think his remorse and story are genuine. Doesn't excuse him but it explains everything. Completely sucks for both Julianne and Lubov, truly.

He's not the first to have an existential crisis of motivation, life purpose, happiness, etc. You have a sense that it's something wrong within you. You can't diagnose it properly, you can't figure out how to fix it. Professional help can't even resolve it.

So what should he have done? Many people would choose to internalize it in the hopes they would get over it or sort it out on their own. That approach does have some merit. Telling his partner of a personal crisis would on the surface have been a 'nice thing to do' but would have consequences in itself, such as cause weeks or months of stress and worsen the training environment, which would have lasting effects on the partnership even if he got over it somehow.

An analogy. Ever been in a committed relationship with someone and had doubts if you wanted to continue? If so, was your course of action to pull that person aside and say "hey I'm going through some stuff - it's not you - but I'm not sure I want to be in this relationship....but I'll let you know in a few weeks or months". If the assumption is it's your own personal crisis that you're trying to understand - and nothing your partner can help with - I wouldn't be surprised if most people polled on this dilemma would take the path of saying nothing until a decision was made.

Same with business relationships. Do you tell your boss you're not into your job and are thinking about other options or do you let them know only when you have decided to leave? There are a number of psychological and human nature explanations why we often organically follow this sort of path.

Again, not here to excuse Charlie but I can say I can understand what he went through, while also feeling for the resulting impact on the lives of two innocent people in this equation.

But there may be some silver lining....if Bardei would just answer his dang phone.....

Last edited:

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
He says he loves sliding, maybe he can take up luge. Preferably singles, so he doesn't have a partner he can let down.

I can see why Luba and Richard feel blindsided, but on the other hand if Charlie had said every practice he was unsure of goals or motives and whether to continue, they might have dumped him months ago.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I for one think his remorse and story are genuine. Doesn't excuse him but it explains everything. Completely sucks for both Julianne and Lubov, truly.

He's not the first to have an existential crisis of motivation, live purpose, happiness, etc. You have a sense that it's something wrong within you. You can't diagnose it properly, you can't figure out how to fix it. Professional help can't even resolve it.

So what should he have done? Many people would choose to internalize it in the hopes they would get over it or sort it out on their own. That approach does have some merit. Telling his partner of a personal crisis would on the surface have been a 'nice thing to do' but would have consequences in itself, such as cause weeks or months of stress and worsen the training environment, which would have lasting effects on the partnership even if he got over it somehow.

An analogy. Ever been in a committed relationship with someone and had doubts if you wanted to continue? If so, was your course of action to pull that person aside and say "hey I'm going through some stuff - it's not you - but I'm not sure I want to be in this relationship....but I'll let you know in a few weeks or months". If the assumption is it's your own personal crisis that you're trying to understand - and nothing your partner can help with - I wouldn't be surprised if most people polled on this dilemma would take the path of saying nothing until a decision was made. There are a number of psychological and human nature explanations why sometimes organically follow this sort of path.

Again, not here to excuse Charlie but I can say I can understand what he went through, while also feeling for the resulting impact on the lives of two innocent people in this equation.

But there may be some silver lining....if Bardei would just answer his dang phone.....

Doubts? Sure. Depression? Who knows. Fork in the road? ok. Make a firm decision? Great.
And then begin by announcing it to the press? WAY BAD FORM>

honey

Where did it say Lubov found out from the press? Her Instagram post says she was informed yesterday. He obviously has been orchestrating today’s release for some time, but it’s not like she found out from an article first, is it?

I feel his behaviour has been harsh with his partners, but I also think the judgement people are passing on him has also been harsh.

At the end of the day, a pairs partnerships is a business relationship. When you're thinking of leaving your current place of employment, you don’t usually tell them until you’ve already got another job lined up. How is this different? If he had told them what he’s been thinking, who is to say Lubov wouldn’t have started to look at other options?

It’s interesting, in Duhamel/Radford’s book, Eric is very open saying that he had the try out with Meagan behind his existing partner’s back. He felt the opportunity with Meagan was too high to pass up, but worried because of their size that it wouldn’t work at all and would be scrapped after one try out. His reasoning was, no need to upset the existing partner if this doesn’t work out with Meagan. And if I can’t skate with Meagan, then at least I’ll still have a partner. I don’t see anyone going around saying his a monster the way they do with Charlie.

There is so much time and money spent in this sport, that there are certain decisions that need to be made to keep people going and to allow them to get the things they want. It absolutely sucks for Julianne and Lubov that they felt blindsided by Charlie, and I feel terribly for them. However, I also don’t think Charlie needs to be crucified for doing the things he felt were best to further his career (and now it sounds like to help him in matters far bigger than skating).

To be clear, I think he could have handled both splits with more grace. But I also see where his behaviour stems from and understand that as well.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
He honestly sounds insufferable, in my ungenerous opinion.

Good for him taking care of his mental health, 100% priority for his AND Lubov's safety. I'm just... not impressed, even knowing this was a super-possible outcome. I was more lenient about his partnership with Julianne ending because that made sense considering how injured she was. :( Not that I any longer consider Charlie so thoughtful in his decision, but it might have been best for her health. Now, it's just a pattern of treating those he works with terribly while he moves forward with his life. It's too bad.

I'm just heartbroken for Lubov. If she isn't snapped up ASAP, there is no justice. Screw it, pull someone out of retirement or drag an ex patriot back. Whatever. It. Takes. :p

And just like that, the exceedingly small field of senior Canadian pairs has managed to drastically shrink further in a matter of weeks. :(

euterpe

Lubov knew how Charlie 'dispensed with' his previous partner, so she couldn't have been that schocked the same thing happened to her. But she gave up a great job with Cirque and moved to Montreal to accommodate him.

If I were Charlie's fiancee, I would be wondering what's going to happen next......

skategal

Bunny mama
He honestly sounds insufferable, in my ungenerous opinion.

Good for him taking care of his mental health, 100% priority for his AND Lubov's safety. I'm just... not impressed, even knowing this was a super-possible outcome. I was more lenient about his partnership with Julianne ending because that made sense considering how injured she was. :( Not that I any longer consider Charlie so thoughtful in his decision, but it might have been best for her health. Now, it's just a pattern of treating those he works with terribly while he moves forward with his life. It's too bad.

I'm just heartbroken for Lubov. If she isn't snapped up ASAP, there is no justice. Screw it, pull someone out of retirement or drag an ex patriot back. Whatever. It. Takes. :p

And just like that, the exceedingly small field of senior Canadian pairs has managed to drastically shrink further in a matter of weeks. :(

ITA. I too gave him the benefit of the doubt with Julianne because of the severity of her injury and could understand he wouldn’t want to pressure her to come back too early or wait for a full recovery.

But all that Lubov gave up to skate with him, plus the stress and cost of getting Canadian citizenship..just wow.

I sincerely doubt that he didn’t know he would do this after one season together if they weren’t Canada 1 or 2.

I think he knew full well he was only planning on doing this for a year if they didn’t get the results he wanted but didn’t bother telling Lubov that because she would hardly disrupt her whole life for one year.

dramagrrl

But all that Lubov gave up to skate with him, plus the stress and cost of getting Canadian citizenship..just wow.
To be fair, she had already gone through that process to skate with Dylan, so that had nothing to do with her partnership with Charlie. She says she always loved Canada, and I believe her boyfriend is Canadian (or at least lives here), so I think she was always planning to stay here even after her partnership with Dylan ended.

She did, however, uproot her life, give up her circus contract, and move to Montreal to skate with Charlie.

I sincerely doubt that he didn’t know he would do this after one season together if they weren’t Canada 1 or 2.

I think he knew full well he was only planning on doing this for a year if they didn’t get the results he wanted but didn’t bother telling Lubov that because she would hardly disrupt her whole life for one year.
I thought this from the beginning - it is one of the reasons why I said upthread that I am not surprised about his retirement or the way he went about it - but if I had suggested anything like this at any point between his breakup with Julianne and, like, yesterday, at least half a dozen posters would have jumped on me for it.

skategal

Bunny mama
To be fair, she had already gone through that process to skate with Dylan, so that had nothing to do with her partnership with Charlie. She says she always loved Canada, and I believe her boyfriend is Canadian (or at least lives here), so I think she was always planning to stay here even after her partnership with Dylan ended.

She did, however, uproot her life, give up her circus contract, and move to Montreal to skate with Charlie.

I thought this from the beginning - it is one of the reasons why I said upthread that I am not surprised about his retirement or the way he went about it - but if I had suggested anything like this at any point between his breakup with Julianne and, like, yesterday, at least half a dozen posters would have jumped on me for it.

Ok good. I’m glad she didn’t have to get citizenship for Charlie. I forgot that part. :rofl:

And yes i remember that you were one of the few that called it right re: Julianne as his statement doesn’t indicate at all that he broke up with her due to her recovery from injuries.

puglover

I can't help but wonder if he would be feeling differently if he and Lubov had skated up to their potential at Canadians and equally solidly at 4C's. I felt there seemed to be a bit of impatience about the pairing of Lubov and Charlie. They did gel really well and had a nice look together with that spectacular lift to finish. But they were only a 1st year pair. It least domestically they were very competitive and in a few years - who knows what they could have done. I guess Charlie has looked at all of that and felt this was his best course of action.

barbarafan

He says he loves sliding, maybe he can take up luge. Preferably singles, so he doesn't have a partner he can let down.

I can see why Luba and Richard feel blindsided, but on the other hand if Charlie had said every practice he was unsure of goals or motives and whether to continue, they might have dumped him months ago.
Also if they realized he was not really into it so that he was all of a sudden doing little baby throws which Lubov was supposed to complete 3 turns after and get her feet under to land them maybe they would have had it out with him. Not following though on moves is very dangerous...This is pairs. How he was performing was very dangerous. I am so glad Lubov was not injured while he was in the moon.

Rhumba d’Amour

I can't help but wonder if he would be feeling differently if he and Lubov had skated up to their potential at Canadians and equally solidly at 4C's. I felt there seemed to be a bit of impatience about the pairing of Lubov and Charlie. They did gel really well and had a nice look together with that spectacular lift to finish. But they were only a 1st year pair. It least domestically they were very competitive and in a few years - who knows what they could have done. I guess Charlie has looked at all of that and felt this was his best course of action.

i admit that I, too, wondered when I heard the news if Charlie might have found the motivation to continue had they placed second at Nationals and/or beat Walsh/Michaud at Four Continents and so, been named to the Worlds team. i remember suspecting that the whole point of not naming a second pair to the Worlds team after Nationals was to hold a spot for Luba and Charlie, if they were to have a decent showing at Four Continents. It really did seem that Skate Canada was in their corner.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I´m sure if their season hadn't ended with a whimper and rinks weren't closed and we weren't all locked in our houses and away from others he might have been more motivated to try longer. But if he is prone to doubt and lack of motivation I think this is the best timing to do this. At least it gives Lubov a chance to find someone. From the letter they were meant to video conference with each other and the coach to make a plan, he decided he wasn't into it anymore. At least this time he did it before they choregraphed their programs and began training.

Breakups are hard, especially for the blindsided but he does Lubov no favours to continue when his heart isn't in it.

Xsktrx

Always skated with class, but unfortunately there is more to being a class act than how you present on the ice. Charlie has moved on and so will skating carry on without him. Hopefully in his next chapter he will learn to consider how his actions impact other’s lives, just not his own.

dds262

And your point is....
For people who didn't see Lubov's IG post, the graphic says, "It's a knife in the back. I had no idea." Clearly, Charlie did everything he could to make himself look good in the press, but his statement in the article that he has always dealt with his partners honestly doesn't seem to be backed up by either of his partners.

EXACTLY my take away....it said more than any other part of his statement. He owed his partner more honesty and integrity.....not a blindsiding knock out punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information