The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsZem

I see the sea
But then you have something like in pairs with Tarasova/Morozov having the third highest SB, #1 in WS, but they didn’t make the GPF. It seems ridiculous to have some of those teams that made the gpf seeded ahead of them and t/m just be an invited skater.
It's no different than if a top team misses Worlds. And if they can't base seeds on Worlds, it makes sense to tie the GP to this season's.

But I'm sure that the ISU will manage to come up with some convoluted scheme that will please no one.

nimi

I think they will go either with SB lists, either with Worlds rankings. Both options are fine with me and seem relevant.
I expect them to do that, but it would suck for a team like Turkkila/Versluis. They missed most of the season because of her injury and Worlds was their only chance to earn more WS points towards a top24 placement and get a SB was at Worlds. (They won their season debut competition at Egna with excellent performances and a new PB but that's not an official ISU SB). :(

In Gadbois news: There will be a live stream later today
Join a live-stream with Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon, Romain Haguenauer and their top Ice Dance couples from the Ice Academy of Montreal. Messages of encouragement and togetherness in the aftermath of the ISU World Figure Skating Championship Montreal 2020 cancellation.
You will also be able to ask questions during the live feed.
Plus we have a little surprise dedicated to the global skating community :)

Dobre

Generally speaking, I don't think it will make too much difference how they do the seeding for the dancers.

The ladies, on the other hand, . . . the Korean ladies have no host federation to get them onto the GP, and the last two seasons we have seen that without a top 10 Worlds berth, they get skipped over for less competitive athletes. They both had a real shot at the top 10 at Worlds, and that is the only way they could control their own destiny for two berths. Hopefully they are all high enough on the SB list (4 in the top 24) that GP hosts will feel ashamed not to invite them this season.

Turkkila & Versluis are stuck in the mess that happens when you are a borderline team & are out injured for a season. There's just nothing that can be done there. At least they are supported by their federation rather than competing for Russia or the U.S. where missing the GP often seems to correlate with splitting up. (Possibly due to funding?)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
The Montreal livestream was :wuzrobbed So much love to all the athletes who are so disappointed right now. I was excited to hear Marie France's announcement at the end, though! Jordan from On Ice Perspectives will be filming all the athletes performing their favorite programs of the season - full costumes and makeup, and they will share it with us later. :)

Dobre

I think perhaps the person they hoped would do the filming cannot get to Montreal (or be sure of getting back home). The post below the cancellation announcement seems to imply this.

Colonel Green

With the season over, I guess it's list-making time! Bonnie & Clyde was the surprise 💪 musical of the season.

Senior RD
🥇 Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Nikolaj Sorensen - Bonnie & Clyde
🥈 Wang Shiyue & Liu Xinyu - Chaplin: The Musical
🥉 Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri - Paramour ( :wuzrobbed )
4. Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier - Mack & Mabel
5. Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker - Saturday Night Fever

Junior RD
🥇 Natalie D'Alessandro & Bruce Waddell - "He Loves and She Loves"/"Le Jazz Hot"
🥈 Miku Makita & Tyler Gunara - Hairspray
🥉 Elizaveta Shanaeva & Devid Narzyhnyy - Bonnie & Clyde
4. Diana Davis & Gleb Smolkin - The Aristocats
5. Irina Galiyanova & Grayson Lochhead - Bonnie & Clyde

Senior FD
🥇 Lilah Fear & Lewis Gibson - "Vogue"
🥈 Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri - "Space Oddity"/"Life on Mars"
🥉 Madison Chock & Evan Bates - Egyptian Snake Dance
4. Allison Reed & Saulius Ambrulevicius - "Churchyard"/"It Happened Quiet"/"Soft Universe"
5. Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier - "Both Sides Now"

Junior FD
🥇 Utana Yoshida & Shingo Nishiyama - Don Quixote
🥈 Maria Kazakova & Georgy Reviya - "In the End"
🥉 Elizaveta Shanaeva & Devid Naryzhnyy - "River"
4. Emmy Bronsard & Aissa Bouaraguia - "Space Oddity"/"Fame/"Let's Dance"
5. Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva & Andrey Filatov - "Sign of the Times"

Dobre

Just wanted to give all the dance fans an extra heads-up that @alchemy void is apparently replaying the 2006 Olympic OD.

AKA A Day That Will Live in Infamy.

Potentially 20? programs, with videos from 5 different broadcasts. I've never seen some of these videos as they weren't all shown on U.S. television, and in the past I've found that some of the ones I did see are not easy to track down . . . as strangely enough, not everyone automatically wishes to watch top-notch international athletes in their very not-best performances of their lives.

Link to the play-by-play thread is here:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...06-olympics-od-12-30pm-cdt-6-30pm-cet.107040/

The time is listed at the top of the thread. I believe it is tomorrow, Mar. 21st, at 1:30 P.M. Eastern; but I'm not good at time converting so feel free to check the top of alchemy void's thread where the CET and CDT times are listed.

VGThuy

The Olympic Channel just uploaded the entire 2018 Pyeongchang Free Dance competition:

ETA: Maybe we should do a forum-wide watch of this some time this weekend.

Ka3sha

I still remember 2018 Games pretty good (Zach :angryfire ) and feels to be a bit too recent event to rewatch for me for now.
What do you think about 2014?

But anyway I will most likely join you, no matter what we choose :lol:

Dobre

I still remember 2018 Games pretty good (Zach :angryfire ) and feels to be a bit too recent event to rewatch for me for now.
What do you think about 2014?

But anyway I will most likely join you, no matter what we choose :lol:

I also loved that podium in 2018 :encore:
And ice dance event was great! Was happy to witness it live, will gladly relive it now!

:rofl: The ubermatrix is a scary, scary place. :rofl:

I love watching the 2018 Olympic dance competition, of course. However, because I love it, I still have it on DVR so if people would rather watch Worlds, it's fine with me.

A lot of the top athletes who went to Worlds were more relaxed there, I think. Many of the teams made nervy mistakes in the RD at the Olympics, but then sometimes it just feels more that way the bigger the event because every error impacts you in a more major way.

Regardless, both dance events were good. The men, OTOH.:watch:

Ka3sha

:rofl: The ubermatrix is a scary, scary place. :rofl:
Haha now I see how it looks :lol:

My reasoning was that if we get to choose an event to re-watch, then I'd be more interested in some older events.
But since ISU will be streaming 2018 Worlds on their channel, we don't have a say here. And since I watched it live in Milan, it would be interesting to compare impressions :)
Honestly I hope there are more events to come, the more skating - the better :cheer2:

Re 2018 OG event - I don't have anything against the results there and overall that was a good event (just not for C/B and H/D)

Last edited:

VGThuy

yeah not a good memory for me too would rather watch 2014 or 2010

There was already a watch party for 2010 last weekend. I found 2014 dull as dishwater, but if people want to watch that, they can.

@Dobre, I just remember 2018 Worlds being more of a coronation than anything with all the rivals for the medalists out of the way. I guess the battle between W/P and C/L for bronze was interesting and it was nice to see W/P end their season on a high note and also sad to see C/L not medal at their home country.

Last edited:

dancing_on_ice

Gah, it'll be a long time before I don't feel devastated watching the 2018 Olympics free dance. It's heart-wrenching to see how defeated Chock and Bates look after their fall. 2018 Worlds is a decidedly more calm competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information