Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Any idea what an Uber might generally cost from the airport to downtown Montreal? We are staying at the Embassy Suites downtown.
If you looked at the ground transportation link provided above the taxi & limo fares to downtown were given as:
Montréal-Trudeau / Downtown
Taxi - Fixed fare$41
LIMOUSINE: $58 / $63

And there is a link to a site where you can get an Uber estimate: https://www.uber.com/global/en/airports/yul/

Satellizer

existing
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet - more information from Evenko:

If you choose to skip events, that is your choice, you may enter anytime after the doors open.

In regards to entering and leaving the venue during the event, we currently do not have any information concerning those procedures, therefore it remains up to the discretion of the security.

DobrinFan

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet - more information from Evenko:

If you choose to skip events, that is your choice, you may enter anytime after the doors open.

In regards to entering and leaving the venue during the event, we currently do not have any information concerning those procedures, therefore it remains up to the discretion of the security.

On the official website it says this:

Fans must have their ticket scanned out when leaving the building during the event and tickets will be scanned upon re-entry into Centre Bell.

peibeck

Simply looking

concorde

Yesterday, I decided that my 15 year old daughter and I will go (Friday and Saturday). Getting 2 good tickets together was outragiously $$ so we will be in the nosebleed section.

Still waiting on the confirmation from HTG regarding our hotel reservation.
Late this afternoon I got the hotel confirmation. We are at the Sheraton. The Marriott was sold out.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

ISU announced that short track speed skating worlds scheduled in Seoul, South Korea in 2 weeks will be postponed indefinitely.

I was wondering how the Corona Virus would affect upcoming sporting events. There is talk that the Tokyo Olympics are also in doubt, and that some athletes are considering staying home as well.

victorskid

It is not unusual for the practice rink to be closed to the public - I have experienced this in Helsinki, for example. Usually it is an issue of lack of seating. It is generally advertised that the Gala practice is not open but sometimes they have actually let folks in. I'm not surprised it is closed this year, with the new award format included as well as the extra set-up taking place.

npavel

I was wondering how the Corona Virus would affect upcoming sporting events. There is talk that the Tokyo Olympics are also in doubt, and that some athletes are considering staying home as well.

Philip Hersh@olyphil

says on twitter
@SkateCanada
statement re: worlds: As per government regulations, all travelers will be screened at their point of entry. We have consulted with the Public Health Agency of Canada and they have still assessed the public health risk associated with the COVID-19 as low for Canada.

Erin

Banned Member

Philip Hersh@olyphil

says on twitter
@SkateCanada
statement re: worlds: As per government regulations, all travelers will be screened at their point of entry. We have consulted with the Public Health Agency of Canada and they have still assessed the public health risk associated with the COVID-19 as low for Canada.

FWIW, if anyone is wondering what this means, I just flew into Canada today (from the US), and the screening appears to consist of asking if you have been to Wuhan in the last fourteen days. That was the only change I noticed in point of entry procedures.

victorskid

FWIW, if anyone is wondering what this means, I just flew into Canada today (from the US), and the screening appears to consist of asking if you have been to Wuhan in the last fourteen days. That was the only change I noticed in point of entry procedures.
I would expect them to be inquiring about travel to a couple of other "hot spots" like Iran & Italy soon, if they are not yet doing so.

smurfy

Philip Hersh@olyphil
says on twitter
@SkateCanada

Who decides? The Government of where the event is - Canada, or the ISU - due to member countries that request it, or what other entity?

smurfy

The screening at "port of entry", e.g. the Montreal airport, is determined by the Canadian government for all arriving travelers, not just those going to Worlds :)

My question relates to the event -whether it would be cancelled or postponed.

victorskid

My question relates to the event -whether it would be cancelled or postponed.
It is the ISU Championships so I presume they would make any final decision but the host country would be consulted. As of yesterday, there were no discussions about this at the ISU, according to a statement given to Phil Hersh and posted on Twitter:
Just asked @ISU_Figure vice president Alexander Lakernik if there any discussions within ISU of postponing upcoming World Fig Champs in Montreal (Mar. 16-22) because of Coronavirus. His answer: “There are no discussions on the subject at the moment."

skatingguy

decently
I finally got my vacation request formally approved for my trip to Worlds today. Talk about stressful, making me wait until this long. But.... :cheer2:

And if that dang coronavirus comes and spoils my plans, I'll be 😡
Enjoying a two week break at home self-isolating to see if you develop the virus? :unsure:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The Worlds 2020 people seem to have screwed up again. They sent an email out to ticket buyers (I know this because my friends and I all got it) that's meant for the skaters:

Special Events

You are invited to attend several special events including the ISU Skating Awards. The awards will take place at Centre Bell at 16:00 on March 22, 2020. Attendees are invited to dress in formal / cocktail attire. For all skaters with exhibition programs, please consider that the dimensions of the ice surface available for your performance will be reduced. Please see the below diagram highlighting the space you will have available for your exhibition program. For more information on the Awards, please visit www.isu-skating-awards.com.

In addition, all competing athletes and Award Nominees are invited to walk the Red Carpet prior to the ISU Skating Awards. The event promises to highlight the beauty, glamour, and elegance of figure skating and its participants! We anticipate commencing the red-carpet event at 13:30 on March 22, 2020. A detailed schedule, including transportation pick up time, will be provided onsite at the event.

Kindly RSVP your attendance for both the ISU Skating Awards and Red-Carpet Event by March 15th, 2020 to [email protected].

Immediately following the excitement of the ISU Skating Awards, you are invited back to the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel for a cocktail reception and the Closing Banquet. Please remember to bring your ticket and let the celebration of the Championships continue!

victorskid

It is not just meant for skaters but also Federations - the first line says:
Hello ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2020 Athletes and Participating Federations,

And at the bottom, it says:
*Federations please share this information with all relevant parties within your organization.

By the way, I did not buy my tickets directly so am not sure what sort of mailing list they were using.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
The Worlds 2020 people seem to have screwed up again. They sent an email out to ticket buyers (I know this because my friends and I all got it) that's meant for the skaters:
You mean I'm invited to attend the reception and banquet at the Fairmont Hotel. So I got my tails pressed for nothing. 😢

Lilia A

It wasn't just sent to ticket buyers because I got that email too and I didn't buy tickets. I am on Skate Canada's mailing list, so I guess they selected the wrong group in whatever mass email software they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information