Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Canada33

IOW, if a collaborative arrangement is in existence, as it appears to be, I wouldn't expect any knock-down, drag-out fight over pairs teams. There is such a thing as getting along and mutually agreeing to what works best for various pairs, and/or listening to the wishes of pairs who wish to make a switch, for whatever reason.

Indeed, we shall see. :watch:
Agree. I don't think anyone anticipates the coaches feuding as you mention, but ultimately skaters at a higher level are rather confident in looking out for their own best interests and be the ones to reach out to other coaching teams when a change is warranted. Time will tell.

Vase

Purkiss/Evans Had a successful year. And I like what I see.
Marcotte did put teams together this season and they just didn’t gel as well as Andrew/Daleman.
Or skaters didn’t enjoy pairs
Alison done well with her Novice team that joined when the Wirtz’s left Ontario
And W/M have improved greatly, but through interviews they seem to be getting lots of different eyes, including RADFORD who created their long program.
I’d say the coaches seem to be all communicating and working well together, I just hope to see more teams develop.
I’m just surprised there are not more teams, with three clubs that have good pair coaches
With the revamping of Canadian teams, I’m sure there will be lots of changes.

Xsktrx

I believe the only collaboration between Alison and Bruno is with Kirsten and Mike. Alison was Mike’s coach for years when he skated with Margaret Purdy. It’s possible when K&M moved to Ontario, back in Alison’s neck of the woods Mike asked she become involved again. I haven’t seen Alison in the Kiss n Cry with any of Bruno’s other pairs or vice versa. I have seen Alison and Andrew both in the Kiss n Cry for E&T, P&Z and B&B so they have appeared to be working together pretty well across the board. Apparently Andrew has 1 or 2 really young teams as well. But I agree/hope all these coaches put the development of pairs in general for Canada ahead any personal territoriality.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Agree. I don't think anyone anticipates the coaches feuding as you mention, but ultimately skaters at a higher level are rather confident in looking out for their own best interests and be the ones to reach out to other coaching teams when a change is warranted. Time will tell.

Yeah, I'm just not sure why there's this notion being mentioned that some of Marcotte's skaters may wish to switch to Purkiss/Evans (as you suggested earlier -- see below*), unless it's a natural development as a result of the collaboration between these sets of coaches. Just because certain coaches appear to be having building success, does not necessarily mean 'a change is warranted' for certain teams who are with other coaches. A lot of different factors are involved in determining where and who to train with. Making a switch shouldn't be about who is popular. It should be about determining the right fit, and getting to the bottom of whether or not skaters' particular needs are or aren't being satisfactorily met in their current camp.

* Will be interesting to see if any of Marcotte’s teams make the move from Oakville to Evans/Purkiss part of town.....

You seem to be putting forward that somehow Purkiss/Evans are better coaches due to some recent steady and improving results for their skaters. However, the good results barometer can go up and down from season-to-season. Or, there can simply be a slow and steady rise, followed by a downturn as skaters retire and coaches' circumstances change.

Xsktrx

I agree completely. This seemed to have started with someone wondering out loud whether Luba & Charlie should make a coaching change and I believe Bryce Davidson’s name came up as a possible option. Bryce was originally involved with Patricia, Zach and Alison but seems to have stepped away from doing any pairs coaching at the moment that I know of. I only mentioned Alison and Andrew as a pair of coaches in Ontario that should not be overlooked based on their recent success. I wasn’t suggesting that Charlie or Luba would or should go to them. I think I brought it up because there seems to be a tendency to automatically assume that everybody in Ontario should want to run to Bruno because of Bruno‘s reputation and he is certainly an excellent coach as evidenced by Kirsten and Mike coming with him to Ontario. I was just suggesting that it would appear that Alison and Andrew are also solid pairs coaches which is a good thing for Ontario pair skaters to have more than one option.

Canada33

Yeah, I'm just not sure why there's this notion being mentioned that some of Marcotte's skaters may wish to switch to Purkiss/Evans (as you suggested earlier -- see below*), unless it's a natural development as a result of the collaboration between these sets of coaches. Just because certain coaches appear to be having building success, does not necessarily mean 'a change is warranted' for certain teams who are with other coaches. A lot of different factors are involved in determining where and who to train with. Making a switch shouldn't be about who is popular. It should be about determining the right fit, and getting to the bottom of whether or not skaters' particular needs are or aren't being satisfactorily met in their current camp.

You seem to be putting forward that somehow Purkiss/Evans are better coaches due to some recent steady and improving results for their skaters. However, the good results barometer can go up and down from season-to-season. Or, there can simply be a slow and steady rise, followed by a downturn as skaters retire and coaches' circumstances change.

You stated did not expect knock down/drag out fight amongst coaches and they respect wishes of skaters. I agreed, but regardless ultimately up to the skater who they want to be coached by.

You have mentioned a few times the coaches are ALL collaborating. I agree that some pairs coaches are collaborating but based on info and kiss & cry hard to say they all are on a regular basis.

I agreed Purkiss/Evans produced the best RESULTS this past season across Nov/Jun/Sen. Great short/long term results can trigger coaching changes in skating and really any sport. As you state so many variables to consider when determining who is the best coach for skater/team

aftershocks

Banned Member
... you have mentioned a few times the coaches are ALL collaborating.

I was only referencing the Marcottes and Purkiss/Evans, based on what I've read in this thread and seen at some of the competitions. Others are more knowledgeable than me about the inner workings between coaches and students at Canadian rinks.

Plus, many of us are speculating without a direct line into the minds and thoughts of the skaters and coaches we are referencing and gossiping about on here. ;)

Anyone who has direct, first-hand knowledge :sekret:, don't be sly or shy, DISH! :watch:

Xsktrx

I was only referencing the Marcottes and Purkiss/Evans, based on what I've read in this thread and seen at some of the competitions. Others are more knowledgeable than me about the inner workings between coaches and students at Canadian rinks.

Plus, many of us are speculating without a direct line into the minds and thoughts of the skaters and coaches we are referencing and gossiping about on here. ;)

Anyone who has direct, first-hand knowledge :sekret:, don't be sly or shy, DISH! :watch:
I believe the only collaboration between Alison and Bruno is with respect to Kirsten and Mike. I don’t believe there’s any other collaboration going on between those two. With respect to Allison and Andrew, it would appear that they have teamed up to form a coaching partnership so it may no longer be a collaboration but an actual coaching team as they are both coaching most if not all of their respective pairs. I am unaware of any other collaborations between coaches, at least in Ontario.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Trent and Evelyn have just posted that they have been selected for the World Team.

Skate Canada has updated the team as well on their website.
There is a whole thread about this - encompassing both Worlds and Junior Worlds and all disciplines :)

Cant Skate

I was just checking out the entry lists for Challenge Cup and noticed Olivia Boys-Eddy skating Senior pairs with Livio Mayer for AUT. Has this already been discussed and I missed it?

barbarafan

I agree, but I'm not sure who they should go to.....and I would assume that Charlie being a newly wed, would prefer to stay in Quebec. BUT if they would go, how about Bryce Davison?
Others above questioned the throws and i agree with those who said that it's "just a blip". I wonder if Luibov is/was injured since I cannot recall her doubling throws before??
The thing is she was hardly thrown any distance and very low- there was no way she could have made 3 rotations. So maybe Charlie has some sort of upper body injury (although their lifts would be worse then) or something has got screwed up in the timing...so she is jumping not in sync with his throw....At warmups they were doing perfect throws though so I am really confused...One thing for sure...with what they turned out Trent and Evelyn deserved the place and I am so gutted that they won't be there. Too bad worlds last yr did not come up with 3 spots.

Xsktrx

Well, after a few weeks they’ve already got the second-best twist in Canadian pairs.

So happy for Brooke, I was worried that with Brandon leaving it might be a struggle to find her a suitable partner.
Well this is exciting! Ben is quite tall and a similar build to Brooke so already I like their appearance and lines. So happy for both of them. And yes, that’s quite a twist given they can’t have too much time together to perfect their elements. Can’t wait to see what else they can do as the season progresses.

Xsktrx

Benjamin Minar turned 19 in November, so they will have 2 years of junior eligibility. And the twist does look great. SxS jumps aren't shabby either. Really promising start.
Thanks. Just noticed the second pic of the jumps. Totally agree the triple double combo looks good already. The timing is good.

Vase

Happy to see we have teams to challenge each other.
Elements are looking good from the start.
Both long and lean builds, interesting to see for a pair team

Vase

When did they end their partnership? I don't remember seeing anything about it.
I’m gonna guess, it ended when Brooke went looking for a partner.
She has the technical elements, at the moment, but growing is still not ended and connection with with a partner hasn’t been there and she was with Brandon for many years, I’ve heard a few stories and I don’t think he planned on quitting for school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information