U.S. Ice Dance 2019-20 season news & updates

heartyxo

I think H/B could still get to worlds this season but I honestly don’t see them making it to Beijing.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think usfs wants to push new teams and they should before it's too late. And honestly this is already h/b's 6th senior season. they just don't have it. The international judges made it clear they don't like them anymore and I hope usfs caught the message. I would rather see a national podium with at least one non-gadbois team, please.

Look, I'm rooting for C/P too, but there's no need to be rude about it.

ccpompom

Well sorry not sorry but it is what it is. The system is not fair unfortunately and I don't think it'll be ever. We all want this sport to be all about who has the best skates/programs/ss but that's not the way it works. Once judges drop you that's it there's no way for you to climb your way up unless you bring something exceptional to the table next season. I can appreciate hb's skating and I admire their hard work and determination but y'all have to know they will 100% beaten by s/d at worlds. Usfs has the deepest field in ice dance in the world currently. They should know a team like h/b will never be on a world podium beacuse it's ice dance and you get points for being pretty and tall. And like aren't we tired of seeing a gadbois swept at every competition?? Please let the other schools rise and I'm not talking about Igor's only.

angi

Well sorry not sorry but it is what it is. The system is not fair unfortunately and I don't think it'll be ever. We all want this sport to be all about who has the best skates/programs/ss but that's not the way it works. Once judges drop you that's it there's no way for you to climb your way up unless you bring something exceptional to the table next season. I can appreciate hb's skating and I admire their hard work and determination but y'all have to know they will 100% beaten by s/d at worlds. Usfs has the deepest field in ice dance in the world currently. They should know a team like h/b will never be on a world podium beacuse it's ice dance and you get points for being pretty and tall. And like aren't we tired of seeing a gadbois swept at every competition?? Please let the other schools rise and I'm not talking about Igor's only.
The coaching team is irrelevant, we should hope a deserving team won't make it to the podium because it will mean a Gadbois sweep? Not very logical I have to say. A Gadbois sweep is perfectly fine when the skaters deserve the scores they get.
H/B might have been struggling but I think they are still lightyears ahead of C/P in terms of skating skills and interpretation of music. They are also stronger in lifts. C/P might be a promising team but they need a few more seasons before they will be skilled enough to challenge any top team and I think that when you compare their Flamenco FD with H/B (sort-of) Flamenco FD the differences in abilities and interpretation are very apparent.
And S/D might overtake H/B at worlds (emphasis on might) but they are just as likely to overtake C/P as well when you compare their GP scores, so that's not really relevant either.

Spiralgraph

I'm a fan of H/B and I'll be rooting for them at Nationals. I also like C/P but I believe they need another season of experience before they might surpass Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. And the poster her grace is right, C/P aren't eligible for the next Olympics because Christina can't become a citizen in time.

Oh and it is very possible to rise again in the International standings after you've dropped behind other teams. Remember the Shibs? They had many people dismissing their chances. Never say never.

Last edited:

heartyxo

Everyone, even USFS, knows H/B aren't getting on a world podium, but neither is any US team that isn't H/D or C/B until this Olympic cycle is over. And the only US team that could overtake them at the moment is C/P and as mentioned there are citizenship issues so USFS won't be eagerly pushing them either. Frankly none of the other US teams are up to it even with the depth. I think its H/B vs C/P for bronze and they both have reasons not to be pushed and USFS should probably just focus on getting H/D or C/B a medal at worlds.
I don't get why people dislike teams just because they're from Gadbois.

Last edited:

heartyxo

I think USA is lucky to have many talented senior teams right now, and I include last year's national pewter medalists McNamara/Carpenter and Green/Parsons, who are having quite a solid debut season, in the group. :)

True! It's a shame M/C have been injured because they could have really been in the fight for bronze, but it has hindered them a bit sadly. I think Green and Parsons look great together and have had some impressive results considering it's their first season. I could definitely see them getting to the top of US ice dance in a few years.

Carolla5501

And this is why the Olympics have talked about throwing ice dance out . And maybe by the should . If you can’t have a sport that’s actually a sport not some kind of popularity contest then it doesn’t deserve to be called a sport. I love dance but the judging is pathetic and it’s going to take something drastic to shake it up. And if that’s what it takes I’m all for it

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
By 2026 it could be Nguyen/Kolesek who are the US's best hope for a medal. Seriously, we can't expect H/D and C/B to continue past Beijing, C/P not only have citizenship issues but they're not living up to their potential yet, I love H/B but see the drawbacks and the Wheaton teams have yet to come up with the wow-packaging that separates you from the pack.

Dobre

Gooo, Lorraine & Quinn! :cheer2:

I thought of all kinds of logical things to say here, but we don't know what's going to happen & we can't read the future a few weeks in advance so we certainly can't read it six years out. Therefore, I opted for pom poms and personal fandom.:)

Last edited:

Lara111

I really hope N/K grow a few more inches smaller teams just don't look as impressive as taller teams and i don't even mean teams as tall as H/D. H/B have always to me been at a disadvantage because he in particular is short. Same with Michael Parsons.
They are probably done growing. He is 18 and she is 17.

Rhumba d’Amour

smaller teams just don't look as impressive as taller teams and i don't even mean teams as tall as H/D. H/B have always to me been at a disadvantage because he in particular is short. Same with Michael Parsons.

i would suggest that lack of height is not an issue, but lack of height differential is. Pairs and dance men who are on the shorter side do perfectly well with more petite partners.

mattiecat13

By 2026 it could be Nguyen/Kolesek who are the US's best hope for a medal. Seriously, we can't expect H/D and C/B to continue past Beijing, C/P not only have citizenship issues but they're not living up to their potential yet, I love H/B but see the drawbacks and the Wheaton teams have yet to come up with the wow-packaging that separates you from the pack.
Honestly, I hope H/D and C/B retire after Beijing. I thought C/B would move on after the last Olympics. And if the Shibs decide to come back, it would be even more discouraging to lower-ranked teams to continue to compete.

heartyxo

I would be surprised if H/D and C/B didn’t retire after Beijing. I am glad C/B didn’t last time though because everyone wanted them to and were attacking them for so many things (mostly out of their control). They have already proved everyone wrong and I hope they continue to do so.

Last edited:

dancing_on_ice

I’m curious as to what will happen in US Ice Dancing after 2022 since its very unlikely that H/D and C/B continue. There are a lot of talented younger teams that could step into their place, it’s just a matter of who can step up in the post-Olympic season

Jammers

I would hope both C/B and H/D retire after Beijing. Evan will have been to 4 Olympics by then just how many Olympics does one need to go to before calling it a career plus both teams will be over 30 years old. US Dance needs to enter a new chapter post Beijing.

Sylvia

TBD
Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen are in Lausanne, Switzerland for the Youth Olympic Games -- here's hoping they have an amazing experience! :) The YOG opening ceremony is tomorrow. The RD is on Saturday, Jan. 11 & the FD on Monday, Jan. 13.
Local news feature on Wolfkostin/Chen (with Igor Shpilband taking about them) filmed right before they left for the Youth Olympics:
In this YOG Team USA photo taken at the athletes village building (called the "Vortex"), 3rd from the left is Wolfkostin & then Chen:

Jeffrey had a fall during their YOG Rhythm Dance in Lausanne today but they skated well aside from that; W/C are currently 5th (57.02) of 12 teams after the RD.

Good luck to the Peals later today in Poland!
... Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal are listed in the Adv. Novice Dance event that takes place on Jan. 11-12 (they made their international debut last year, placing 6th at Bavarian Open).

Last edited:

Rafter

I think usfs wants to push new teams and they should before it's too late. And honestly this is already h/b's 6th senior season. they just don't have it. The international judges made it clear they don't like them anymore and I hope usfs caught the message. I would rather see a national podium with at least one non-gadbois team, please.

ccpompom.....let me guess. Christina Carreira and Ponomarenko. And pompom happens to be Anthony’s instagram handle. Hmmmmm.

litenkyckling

ccpompom.....let me guess. Christina Carreira and Ponomarenko. And pompom happens to be Anthony’s instagram handle. Hmmmmm.
I'm not sure what you're implying about this account but CPom is the fan name/hashtag for C/P so yes this poster is likely a C/P fan - just to clarify is all!

C

casken

Tell that to Davis and White.

I'll give you the tall part, but she looked like a Disney princess come to life.

As for Nationals, at this point I'm pulling for Green/Parsons to pull off the longshot bronze. They've gelled quicker then I was expecting, their FD has grown from "ho-hum" to be the most compelling FD of any of the American teams (yes, even ChockSnake) and I would love to see what it would look like at Worlds. (Again, props to whoever remixed the music) Only the lifts still need to be smoothed out but I think that will come.

heartyxo

I'll give you the tall part, but she looked like a Disney princess come to life.

As for Nationals, at this point I'm pulling for Green/Parsons to pull off the longshot bronze. They've gelled quicker then I was expecting, their FD has grown from "ho-hum" to be the most compelling FD of any of the American teams (yes, even ChockSnake) and I would love to see what it would look like at Worlds. (Again, props to whoever remixed the music) Only the lifts still need to be smoothed out but I think that will come.

I really like Green and Parsons, they have so much promise.

vireo

... just how many Olympics does one need to go to before calling it a career ...

As many as one wants, providing one qualifies. There's no limit. Canadian equestrian Ian Miller holds the record, having competed in ten Olympics.

I don't think the top US teams have been allowed to rest on their laurels. They've all worked very hard to keep improving and hold their positions. None of them should be pushed to retire because lower ranked skaters have been waiting a long time for their "turn".

Let the teams-in-waiting earn their turn by raising their games and beating the teams above them. Failing that, we can all just watch H/D, C/B and the Shibs go after Drobiazko/Vanagas's record of most Olympic appearances for a figure skater (five). :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information