Rsport interview with Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Ka3sha

Elizaveta came to talk to the journalists right after exhibitions, so it was a starting point.

- Where did the idea of your new ex come from?
- It was me idea, this is one of my favorite songs. I like the clip, so I suggested it to my coach, Aleksey Nikolaevich Mishin, and my choreographer, Tatyana Nikolaevna Prokofiev, and they agreed. That's how my gala program was born.

[Liza's new exhibition to Destination Calabria]
- Aleksey Nikolayevich had a competitive program, when Tamara Nikolaevna Moskvina and he skated in hussar outfits.
- Yes, I saw the photos.
- Did he recall it , when you were working on your gala program?
- No, he didn’t.
- Now, when some time has passed, what do you think about the competition? After all, you could have won bronze.
- First of all, I am in any case glad with my result here and how this Nationals went. I took the risk with a quad jump in the free program and, as Alexei Nikolayevich said, for me it was a victorious defeat. I took a big step forward and learned a big lesson from this Nationals. I don't regret anything, I don't regret making mistakes or skating imperfectly or that the final result could have been different. I am absolutely okey with these results. It is necessary to go out and try a program with a quad jump, to learn something else and to continue developing. It was very difficult to land a quad in competition after only two weeks from the moment I learnt it. I guess I was not quite ready for it. But I understood that it was necessary, that it was a good moment to try it.
- You say that you also need to learn something else, something more. But maybe you need to stabilize your quad toe first?
- Of course, we will work on it, so it will be as realible as triple axel. Last season I trained triple axel a lot and was able to include two axels in a free program. But there is a theory that if you can land a quad toeloop, then you can also learn a quad salchow. To say the truth, I don't really believe in this theory, but we will try. Right now I can feel all four rotations in the air, I am not afraid of trying another quad jump anymore. I have crossed this line. But for now we need to stabilize the quad toeloop.
- What were your first emotions after you landed a quad for the first time?
- It was very cool, I got goosebumps. Because I realized what a step forward it was for myself - to land a quad at almost 23 years old - for me it was very significant. I didn't believe I would succeed up until the last practice, when I finally land it. I don't have such a strong intuition. Women's intuition, yes, but not a natural one. It was the same when I was learning triple axel. And then I realized that it is possible. As soon as I had understood it, I landed it , right on the same day. Probably, I wasn't so upset with not too successful performances here because I realize how much progress there was this season.
- Did you celebrate the date somehow or maybe made a note in your diary - "My first quad"?
- I am not that sentimental. I just thought that it was very cool. And that’s all. There was nothing else like that.
- If you were skating last here and knew that other skaters did some mistakes, would you make your program easier?
- No, I understood the situation in the final group, I knew my goals for this year's Russian championship. I wanted to land a quad. If we knew that I disn't feel this jump, we would;t try it here. And I needed this experience to try to land a quad under pressure. Therefore, I wouldn't change my tactics, I would still take all the risks.
- Will you take part in any other competitions this season?
- We haven't discussed the plans yet, but perhaps it was my last event of the season.
- There are other international competitions, the Russian Cup Final.
- We will see. We haven't talked about this yet.
- How do you evaluate your points this season in terms of judging? Did you have a feeling that the judges didn't give you points you deserve?
- In general, I had such feelings. Therefore, we even decided to return the 3toe-3toe combination, because the judges didn't like my 3flip-3toe one. But it was also necessary to skate in a more relaxed way. When you come out of the nowhere, you are happy with any points that are above 70 [in the short program]. And when you have reached a certain level, and the points are getting a little lower, you don’t quite understand why it happens. But recently I have competed in Zagreb and I skated there more relaxed and the judges gave me much better points. If you go out confidently and skate in a cool manner, you will be given great points. And when you are nervous - no, you won't. I have already said that we should take it from ice dancers, to skate as there is no tomorrow.
- Fans discussed your somewhat harsh reaction to your points at the event in Finland this year. Do you regret that reaction?
- I never regret anything.
- But to say the truth, were you disappointed then?
- There was no disappointment on my face. There was perplexity, not disappointment.
- What is the secret of your longevity?
- It's in desire to develop, to become better; in the feeling that you can still do something for yourself and contribute something to figure skating. You won't just stop, when you feel you can do more.
- What was your coach's role in this?
- The most important one. I wouldn't have been here without him. He is the greatest coach, very wise. I’m still in sports thanks to him. An athlete can't skate without a coach - you always need support, tactics and an understanding of what you are doing and why. You go through it side by side with the coach.
- There is a feeling that Aleksey Nikolayevich has many reasons for frustration and has closed a bit. Does he take judges marks personally, for example?
- I don’t know, I didn’t talk to him on this topic. It seems to me that he has seen so much in life and in skating, that nothing will break him and nothing will surprise him anymore. I think he knows that we can handle everything and everything will be fine in the end. And I didn't notice that he has closed. Everything is fine during practices.
- Some people think that now you have become the embodiment of that very mature female single skating, and now even with quads. Does this role inspires you?
- I never fully realize my position and actions. I try not to think about it. I believe each person should calmly and quietly think about himself and never lose his head. Perhaps, it is cool that many are inspired by me and that I helped some people in some ways and have contributed something to figure skating. But still, I am very calm about this. First of all, I am a person; and out of figure skating I am just Lizka Tuktik - a cheerful girl. I try to go through life with this attitude.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I loved Liza's costume in the exhibition when she just came out on the ice. Was hoping it is a modern version of the old show number by a couple, Vorobieva/Vlassova, which i loved as a kid, in the same costumes. They were coached by Moskvina (Mishin's pairs partner). That was a great and fun number then "Tiryam, Tiryam" or "Limping King".

later Moskvina/Mishin claimed it as "their own" ... :D

starrynight

Liza is absolutely right in that she had to try the quad and learn to do it under pressure.

After all, even if she had won third with an easier layout, I doubt they would have sent her to Euros or Worlds anyway. Trusova would have been subbed in regardless. She needed that quad to make a claim for the World team. So might as well go for it.

Mishin is correct in saying it was a victorious defeat.

Good luck to Liza in continuing her training. She will need to remain ready to be a substitute for Euros and Worlds if necessary and this is good time to calmly work on stabilising the quad. Particularly as she says she only learned it two weeks ago.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
After all, even if she had won third with an easier layout, I doubt they would have sent her to Euros or Worlds anyway. Trusova would have been subbed in regardless. She needed that quad to make a claim for the World team. So might as well go for it.

People keep saying that. I'm not so sure it's true. With a third place Liza would have had a VERY strong claim. They know she can score well internationally, and leaving off a medalist might have caused an uproar. It's not like last year when none of the medalists were able to go.

starrynight

People keep saying that. I'm not so sure it's true. With a third place Liza would have had a VERY strong claim. They know she can score well internationally, and leaving off a medalist might have caused an uproar. It's not like last year when none of the medalists were able to go.

Maybe Euros, but I think Worlds would have been unlikely. There would have been another rematch at a Russian Cup event.

At any rate I don’t know if I would have liked to witness the kind of political carnage that would have gone down had a Tukt without a quad been sent instead of Trusova. All the coaches have been acting incredibly immaturely recently and I’m glad that Tukt will not be drawn into that.

Better off Tukt stabilising that quad during her time off and trying to win on the same terms as her competitors.

Dobre

Elizaveta has never needed a quad in order to muck up a free skate at Russian Nationals under pressure. She made a decision; she finished 4th. It is the highest Nationals result she has had since 2015. She is making an active attempt to improve, and she seems to have maturity & perspective in facing the result. Plus, you never know. If something opens up, she now has a 4th place result at Nationals, 2 GP bronze, and two silvers & a gold on the CS. It's a nice solid season behind her.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Liza is absolutely right in that she had to try the quad and learn to do it under pressure.

Liza was absolutely right to try quad. If not for higher points then to simply try it at a competition. That's why one learns new elements.. :lol:

As to not making the Euro team even if she came in 3rd - that's absolutely not true. Russian Feds, at least for Euros, do name first 3 placed Senior Ladies to the team. That's why last year it was - Konstantinova, Zagitova, Samodurova (while Konstantinova and Samodurova were on an average weaker than Tuktamyshev and Medvedeva). Also, once Konstantinova did not medal at the Euros last year, the 3rd spot on the World team was played off between Tuk and Med).

However.... i do remember how Mirai Nagasu, who came in 3rd at US Nationals 2014, were kicked off the Olympic Team in favor of Wagner, who was 4th... ;) So if you think this approach is wrong, go and make sure it does not happen in figure skating in your own country again.. :lol:

insideedgeua

I loved Liza's costume in the exhibition when she just came out on the ice. Was hoping it is a modern version of the old show number by a couple, Vorobieva/Vlassova, which i loved as a kid, in the same costumes. They were coached by Moskvina (Mishin's pairs partner). That was a great and fun number then "Tiryam, Tiryam" or "Limping King".

later Moskvina/Mishin claimed it as "their own" ... :D

Thank you for sharing this. I hadn’t seen this video of Irina Vorobieva before. She still looks exactly the same. I’ve just sent the link to her.

Tinami Amori

Thank you for sharing this. I hadn’t seen this video of Irina Vorobieva before. She still looks exactly the same. I’ve just sent the link to her.
😍
send her more fotos, from the old days...
- when she was doing a show number with Chetveruhin..

- with Vlassov in early 70's...

and to be fair to Liza... since it is her topic....

Great girls, wear great hats... :D

(Also, i hope Irina fixed all possible health issues, and found a way to coach or to consult).. love to her!

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Liza was absolutely right to try quad. If not for higher points then to simply try it at a competition. That's why one learns new elements.. :lol:

As to not making the Euro team even if she came in 3rd - that's absolutely not true. Russian Feds, at least for Euros, do name first 3 placed Senior Ladies to the team. That's why last year it was - Konstantinova, Zagitova, Samodurova (while Konstantinova and Samodurova were on an average weaker than Tuktamyshev and Medvedeva). Also, once Konstantinova did not medal at the Euros last year, the 3rd spot on the World team was played off between Tuk and Med).

However.... i do remember how Mirai Nagasu, who came in 3rd at US Nationals 2014, were kicked off the Olympic Team in favor of Wagner, who was 4th... ;) So if you think this approach is wrong, go and make sure it does not happen in figure skating in your own country again..
:lol:
Wow way to pick out something out of the grave... also don’t you live in the U.S.?

Tinami Amori

Wow way to pick out something out of the grave... also don’t you live in the U.S.?
Weather it is from the "grave" or not... there is a matter of consistency, honesty and reality. A poster is insinuating that "Russian Feds are unfair"... if Liza earned 3rd place she still would not be sent to the Europeans... oh, evil Russians again.

When if fact in the great US of A a 3rd place winner was removed in favor of a "better skater" for the Olympic team who did not medal at the Nationals that year.

Then we have a "not so old story" with Ross Miner who came in 2nd at US Nationals and was REMOVED from the Olympic Team in favor of "a better skater" Rippon who came in 4th.

Just because this site is "north American bubble", and people post "anti-Russian" stuff, does not mean they will not be called on it. Before seeking non-existent dirt across the ocean, it's best to look at the same events in your own back yard.

Perky Shae Lynn

Just because this site is "north American bubble", and people post "anti-Russian" stuff, does not mean they will not be called on it. Before seeking non-existent dirt across the ocean, it's best to look at the same events in your own back yard.
What anti-Russian stuff? Details, details!

Tinami Amori

What anti-Russian stuff? Details, details!
Read few posts back.... "Russian Feds would not let Liza be part of the Euro team even if she won 3rd place at nationals"..;) that and many other constant insinuations that "something is wrong in Russian sports".

starrynight

I wouldn’t have thought it anti Russian to say that one Russian skater with better results this season would be sent over another Russian skater with a lesser body of work? Particularly as there is a precedent of this happening to Liza last season?

Or is Liza not considered Russian?

I always thought only the winner of Nationals was guaranteed anything.

At the end of the day Trusova has so many quads that her landing a couple of them are going to give high scores. Tukt will need her quad to justify being sent over Trusova.

And again, I am not from North America. So anti-American sentiments have nothing to do with me.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Weather it is from the "grave" or not... there is a matter of consistency, honesty and reality. A poster is insinuating that "Russian Feds are unfair"... if Liza earned 3rd place she still would not be sent to the Europeans... oh, evil Russians again.

When if fact in the great US of A a 3rd place winner was removed in favor of a "better skater" for the Olympic team who did not medal at the Nationals that year.

Then we have a "not so old story" with Ross Miner who came in 2nd at US Nationals and was REMOVED from the Olympic Team in favor of "a better skater" Rippon who came in 4th.

I think you are a bit over sensitive and see anti-Russian agenda even when it was not meant to be there. I agree this did happen in the USA, but also in Russia. Wasn’t Leonova sent to Europeans even though she placed only fifth at the Russian nationals in season 2008-09? The top two were not senior eligible (Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva), Russia had two spots and should send Gerboldt and Petuskova, who placed third and fourth. Yet they decided to skip Petushkova and send Leonova who placed fifth instead. So I really struggle to understand why you are so touchy about someone suggesting that the Russian federation could make some replacement. Don’t get me wrong, I am glad that they didn’t because in my view at least it is fair, but the bottom line is, the Russian federation (same as any other skating federation) can make whatever decision they want to make. The skater is unlikely to sue them, because it would mean end of their skating career. No need to get all in fighting mode just because someone suggested that they can do what they want to. They can, accept it.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll

In your mind I guess but nobody ever really said such a thing...

Marco

I feel for Tuktuk. From the scores it appeared like she wouldn't have won the bronze even if she had landed the 4toe, and that's with 3 significant errors from Trusova. She doesn't have the quality of Kostornaia or the difficulty of Trusova - 4th is probably the best she could hope for, with or without Med and Zag. Incidentally Med scored a 225.76 at Russia GP in front of an international panel - so perhaps Med would have been the closest to breaking the top 3?

starrynight

I think Tukt is just fine. She’s not regressing at all. If anything she has made a huge leap forward this season - two triple axels in the free and has landed a quad in practice - which I think is leaping a huge divide to the next level for an adult.

That’s a real achievement and I think based on the interviews she knows this.

She’s undergone a revolution these past two seasons. Out of nowhere the tech came back and advanced, great programs, lots of new exhibitions and participation in shows.

insideedgeua

😍
send her more fotos, from the old days...
- when she was doing a show number with Chetveruhin..

- with Vlassov in early 70's...

and to be fair to Liza... since it is her topic....

Great girls, wear great hats... :D

(Also, i hope Irina fixed all possible health issues, and found a way to coach or to consult).. love to her!

Sorry also to derail.

Thank you for those photo links. I hope to see Irina one day this week and will show them to her.

Happy to let you know that after her accident a number of years ago now, she has recovered very well. She still does a little coaching each week.

liv

I like her attitude and take her results as only positive as well.

So much has been said about the 3A, and yes, they deserve accolades for their achievements... but as has been said ad nauseum, who knows what will happen if/when they grow etc.. What Liza is doing is showing that growing up isn't the end for jumping, either. She had troubles when she grew, but continued, worked hard, and then got her 3A back and now learned a quad. I would say she is travelling through more uncharted territory than the 3A, purely because she is doing it as a fully grown adult, which many people doubted would be possible. Everyone knows it is easier to rotate quickly when you are tiny. She should be an inspiration to female skaters everywhere.

bardtoob

I would say she is travelling through more uncharted territory than the 3A, purely because she is doing it as a fully grown adult, which many people doubted would be possible. Everyone knows it is easier to rotate quickly when you are tiny. She should be an inspiration to female skaters everywhere.

I would add even more so if speaking of quads over the next two seasons. We know from Tonya and Midori that the 3A is possible at Liza's age, but the quads would be a boundary that SHE AND ONLY SHE could easily break ... AND IT WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT CASE STUDY FOR DR. MISHIN.

I find it interesting that nobody questions Liza's potential to upgrade her technical content. Yes, maybe she will not get 9s in interpretation (this season), but the idea to see 4T or 4Lz on her protocols is not considered far fetched by anyone.

anonymoose_au

Love the interview! Liza is my fave for sure! I'm a bit bummed that she might not compete in anymore competitons this season, but I look forward to seeing what she gets up to next!

Goooo Liza!

starrynight

My personal desire would be to see Tuktamysheva try to ride the wave of the great shape she is in and try a goal of landing the quad in competition before the end of the season - even if it is only a local competition. She has been landing good quads in practice and warm up - she's not that far away from succeeding.

But of course, it is up to her and her coaches what she chooses to do.

Tinami Amori

Alexei Mishin and his group are putting on an ice show at Jubilieny Rink in St. Pete., on March 09, 2020.
"Hot Ice with Liza Tuktamysheva and Friends - Impossible is possible!"...:cheer2:

--

(I personally think it is a great idea, when instead of twitter arguments people actually go out and do something creative and commercially beneficial.. hope Mishin's show is a success!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information