Finnish skating news, 2018 onwards

J

Jeschke

The Ruutu+ service is different and is mostly only showing national competitions + synchro (+ the Finlandia Trophy). So don't go for that one. :lol:

Edit: Wait, were you asking about the Finlandia Trophy in particular? Then yes, they are showing all of FT from what I understand. I'd assume there's on-demand but not sure. But in any case, Ruutu+ is not free either, so it's not much different from the official FT stream... Another edit: Ahh but with the 14-day free trial period it IS free in the beginning, obviously. :wall: :rofl: Never mind me being slow. Not sure what kind of info it wants when you subscribe though.
Awesome post Hanna :rofl:
I'll try my luck and bring my finnish twin out there.

If it fails, I hope for YT videos coming up and personal footage by you.
We know, you can provide the best here :40beers:
#tsarevaandvikforever

Elka

Ruutu+ can be a bit tricky. You have to log in through a Google account or Facebook or create a "Sanoma-account" to log in. It does not say you have to be in Finland to do it, it just says it only works in Finland, if not otherwise stated, and it is not. It costs nothing to try, you need Google-translate I suppose to get to the free trial. Yle Areena/TV2 shows something, probably not everything, but it stays in Areena for 30 days. Geoblocked also.

nimi

A former national competitor has told Yle about her #metoo experiences with a male coach:
Very short version of the story: "Kati" (not her actual name) was a minor when the (alleged) grooming & inappropriate behavior was going on. She's now an adult. Later on, another former skater contacted her and told about similar experiences with the same coach. This second skater contacted the Fed about it, but because she wasn't prepared to give up her anonymity, the Fed basically said there's nothing they can do. The two women also contacted SUEK aka FINCIS (Finnish Center for Integrity in Sports), who had the same response and did nothing. The coach, whose name or location isn't disclosed in the article and who says he never harassed his students, is still coaching.

Fed's response:

Kiira (who knows the coach) was quoted in the article saying it's a systemic issue and this case could be the tip of the iceberg. She also retweeted the Yle article with the caption "Wake-Up Call!!!" and tagged the Fed's official twitter account.
Update: the coach is not currently coaching. The skating club he was working with said it was a mutual decision to end the working relationship and there were "many factors" behind the decision. The (alleged) harassment was going on earlier, when the man was coaching at a different club.

nimi

Looks like Emmi will be making her GP debut in a few weeks. :watch:
ETA: Ooops I just remembered she actually made her GP debut last year in Helsinki, it just wasn't a very memorable debut :p
Let's hope she skates better this time around!

Peltonen took Hendrickx's spot at Rostelecom.

The Worlds & Euros spots will be once again decided based on SB scores. Both domestic and international scores count.
Jenni's 181.20 from Finlandia is obviously the top score this far, and Viveca is the only current Finnish lady who's been able to score higher in the past. Jenni says that the Euros are her main goal this season, but she's aiming for Worlds as well and she could up her tech content in her programs.

Last edited:

nimi

Viveca is on the entry list for Golden Bear. Not sure if that competition will be streamed (their website is not the most informative or user-friendly lol) but I hope that she'll actually skate there and that there will be vids.

Other Finnish sr entries: Sofia Sula, Minttu Heikkinen, Valtter Virtanen

Last weekend's competitions didn't really affect the race for the 3rd Euros spot, but I might as well copy paste some stuff from @SkatingFinland anyway:
Oona Ounasvuori 10th at Minsk Arena Ice Star, 137,18. And now she also has technical scores for Europeans.
Linnea Ceder 3rd (148,27) and Laura Karhunen 6th (138,64) at Halloween Cup, Hungary.

J

Jeschke

Viveca is on the entry list for Golden Bear. Not sure if that competition will be streamed (their website is not the most informative or user-friendly lol) but I hope that she'll actually skate there and that there will be vids.
There will be no livestream :(

nimi

Other Finnish sr entries: Sofia Sula, Minttu Heikkinen, Valtter Virtanen

Last weekend's competitions didn't really affect the race for the 3rd Euros spot, but I might as well copy paste some stuff from @SkatingFinland anyway:
Oona Ounasvuori 10th at Minsk Arena Ice Star, 137,18. And now she also has technical scores for Europeans.
Linnea Ceder 3rd (148,27) and Laura Karhunen 6th (138,64) at Halloween Cup, Hungary.
I haven't searched for Golden Bear vids because I assume there aren't any...?
Anyway, the results page exists: Dr. V placed 4th with 183.64 points and Sofia finished 6th with 154.37 points, which currently gets her 2nd in the SB standings, behind Jenni and ahead of Linnea. So, that's currently the score that Emmi and Viveca need to beat to get to Euros.

Speaking of Emmi...
I checked Emmi's IG and she posted some practice footage few days ago, but yeah, IDK. It looks like her competitive season is supposed to start in November (Volvo Open Cup). She announced her new FS (Vinegar & Salt by Hooverphonic, choreo Mark Pillay) in June and the national monitoring camp was held in early August, maybe they just thought she needs more time? (It looks like she was off ice for 6 weeks in spring, so maybe she's been dealing with injury or something?)
She did an interview and told that she did indeed injure her foot (ligament damage) last spring. She's been training in Finland because of the rehab process. She was able to resume normal training a month ago or so, and later on she'll decide whether she'll return to Lambiel or whether she'll keep training in Finland with Sirkka Kaipio as her coach. She's going to keep her short from last season but will debut the new long at Volvo Open Cup.

Sylvia

TBD

Machine translated excerpt:
Satu Niittynen, Coaching Manager at the Finnish Figure Skating Association, tells Yle Sports that Lindfors has not been able to get fit during the training season. Niittynen saw Lindfors practice last week at the National Team Camp in Vierumäki.
- Her back needs rehabilitation and because of that she has not been able to practice fully. At the camp, she was able to participate in the activities, but there was an unfinished business, Niittynen says.
Lindfors' back problems were the result of last season: she was unable to compete in last spring's World Cup due to back problems.
Emmi Peltonen, on the other hand, opens the season in Latvia and also participates in the Chinese GP.
ETA: Volvo Open Cup Senior ladies compete on Nov. 8 & 9; Peltonen is scheduled to compete at Rostelecom Cup the following week.

Last edited:

nimi

Orihara/Pirinen just won their first international medal (bronze) in Riga. Congrats!

podium pic
I came across their FD on YT:

Emmi will skate today in the 3rd warm-up group, probably around 5:15 pm local time.

SP starting order: http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo40th/SEG003.HTM
Day 4 Time Schedule: http://kristalice.lv/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/timetable_8_11New.pdf
ETA: Emmi stayed on her feet and is leading after the short!

Last edited:

nimi

nimi

Orihara/Pirinen just won their first international medal (bronze) in Riga. Congrats!

O/P got another bronze at Santa Claus Cup with 166.58 points, despite falling on the FD twizzles. New team Klinovitskaya/Partanen also skated there, placing last with 129.41 points. (Apparently there was a live stream but I didn't catch it.)

T/V are on the entry list for Finnish Nats! Looking forward to finally seeing their new programs! :cheer2:

nimi

Nats results page: http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/1920/YLJTSM2020/index.htm

Jenni is disappointed about losing the gold in the free, couldn't really say what happened today. Emmi is happy about bouncing back after a disappointing short and keeping her focus in the free, now it's back to work and trying to make up for the training time she lost earlier because of the injury.
The sr events were streamed in the Yle Areena service, and the archived & geoblocked streams will be available there for 4 weeks.

They will announce the Euros entries this coming week, but based on the selection criteria the line-up should be O/P & Roman & Jenni, Emmi and Linnea.

Last edited:

Dobre

Does the fact that Turkkila & Versluis did not compete at Nationals mean they are definitely not competing at Worlds? Or is that yet to be determined? (I ask because sometimes--such as with Nazarova & Nikitin last season--a team will miss Europeans but can still make an argument for Worlds based on results at another competition).

In either case, it is a shame that T&V did not make it back for Nationals. Only one spot outside the top ten at last year's Europeans. So close to earning two berths for this year, and surprisingly strong results all of last season.

nimi

Does the fact that Turkkila & Versluis did not compete at Nationals mean they are definitely not competing at Worlds? Or is that yet to be determined? (I ask because sometimes--such as with Nazarova & Nikitin last season--a team will miss Europeans but can still make an argument for Worlds based on results at another competition).
The Fed's selection criteria for ice dance: The highest points average of 3 best competitions of the season. Both international events and the Nats count. The deadline is Feb 23.
MM-KILPAILUT – Montreal (CAN) 16.-22.3.2020
Valintakriteeri MM-kilpailuihin on kauden kolmen parhaan kilpailutuloksen kokonaispisteiden keskiarvo. Vertailuun otetaan ISU:n kv-kalenterin kilpailut sekä SM-kilpailut.
MM-kilpailujen ilmoittautumisaika päättyy 21 päivää ennen kilpailun alkua, 24.2.2020. Luistelijavalinnat tehdään viimeistään yhtä päivää (1) ennen ilmoittautumisajan päättymistä 23.2.2020.
During the RD event, the commentator said that Juulia is almost fully recovered. So, if T/V were able to compete in 3 sr Bs in Jan/Feb and produce good enough results to pass O/P, they could meet the criteria and qualify for Worlds but... yeah. Time is running out.

I think the Fed has the final say though, so there could be some scenarios – like if O/P failed to make the FD at Euros and T/V skated a good competition around the same time – where they might make an exception and not follow their own selection criteria. (I hope O/P have a good Euros debut, though.)

Finnice

As @nimi said, the Finnish Fed has a clear criteria, and seems that time is really running out for Juulia and Matthias. There will be the Nordics and some other competitions, but we´ll see.

IDC a.k.a. Ritti

The Nordics (and Nordics Open) have no ice dance event.

International assignments by the Finnish Figure Skating Association:
So far, Turkkila/Versluis have been assigned (tentatively) to Egna Dance Trophy, Feb 7-9.

Viveca Lindfors has been assigned to 3 events in the spring:
Challenge Cup, Feb 20-12 (Netherlands)
Coupe du Printemps, March 13-15 (Luxembourg)
Triglav Trophy, April 6-12 (Slovenia)
The deadline for nominations for Worlds is February 23, so it looks like Viveca would have to score 181,21 or more at Challenge Cup, depending on what the score to beat will be at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information