From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Tinami Amori

You are claiming that Zagitova cannot continue skating due to bad basic technique when she has skated a grand total of 3 competitions since winning Worlds before stopping and STILL had decent enough results :lol: (which yes, you say are meaningless)...
I would (and have been) take Andrey aka Pushkin's comments on any "hot Russian topic" with a grain of salt. I once asked him, some years ago, why on the same subject do you say something provocative for the FSU readers, but then go on a Russian site and say exactly opposite to what you said on the English-language site, which is provocative to the Russians? and he told me "I am just trolling". So, just keep this in mind, there are people who like to entertain themselves at the expense of others.. and it is not about "seeking the truth" or "feeling strongly on an important subject". ;)

Tinami Amori

so, the TAT-Plush-ET exchanges continues, listed above... Somewhere Plush also mentioned that it was him who got Lipnitskaya Gold in the Team Event, because it was his skating that "did it".. :lol:

Here is Eteri's reply... or rather "non-reply". She posted a poem by М. Tzvetaeva, a famous Russian poetess from first half of 20th century.
:D
Here is the english translation.
"Simple is my posture".

Last edited:

feraina

Sotnikova had great basic skating skills, much better than Tuktamysheva, Liptnitskaya, Radionova, Medvedeva and Zagitova. She had mostly unmémorable programs and didn’t have the best artistry though i have rewatched her Olympic programs multiple times and found them quite enjoyable. she definitely peaked at the right time.

Pogorilaya also had great skating skills. And she survived puberty well. I’m sad she couldn’t continue because of injuries.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
The Russian skaters who can glide are: Sotnikova, Pogorilaya, Tsurskaya, Kostornaya, Kolyada. None of them is nearly as good as Chan, Hanyu, Uno, Kozuka or Kostner, they are on Tomasz Werner scale. Just for the record....
Sotnikova was lucky competing with Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya - both sucked in gliding. Tuktamysheva had slightly imptoved over the years, but she is nowhere near Kostornaya.

muffinplus

She has had no opportunity to train one because they have all left her. I wonder why.🤔

"All left her" is such a blanket statement. Same can be said for skaters who left other coaches... so what? Are you gonna say Buyanova cannot train post puberty either? Like obviously her training methods don't work for everyone but you are basically creating a causal relationship when there isn't one necessarily

Tsurskaya left skating period...

And I literally can't believe I am reading Sotnikova is considered to have great skating skills now?

Last edited:

starrynight

Maybe we could cut out a lot of the fighting by accepting that there’s a real issue across the board and many training camps of female single skaters not staying in the sport as adults?

Radionova is a good example of a girl who was absolutely tiny as a 15 year old but inevitably grew up and was lost to competitive skating. A shame as she was very expressive and entertaining. I really liked Techno Titanic.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
And I literally can't believe I am reading Sotnikova is considered to have great skating skills now?
Gliding. Can you read the difference between gliding and skating skills?
And yes, compared to the other Russians of her time (Lipnitskaya, Tuktamysheva, Radionovova, Leonova, Makarova, Gosviani, Sakhanovich and so on...) her skating skills were by a mile better.

muffinplus

Gliding. Can you read the difference between gliding and skating skills?

That falls under the term "skating skills" in English as far as I know unless I am missing some linguistic nuances

And yes, compared to the other Russians of her time (Lipnitskaya, Tuktamysheva, Radionovova, Leonova, Makarova, Gosviani, Sakhanovich and so on...) her skating skills were by a mile better.

"Globally" speaking her skating skills are still mediocre to average..when compared to someone who is actually good

That's not to speak of her jump technique. I really don't understand how someone could call it wonderful and then say Zagitova has bad technique but whatever

Last edited:

LoopCombo

Maybe we could cut out a lot of the fighting by accepting that there’s a real issue across the board and many training camps of female single skaters not staying in the sport as adults?

Radionova is a good example of a girl who was absolutely tiny as a 15 year old but inevitably grew up and was lost to competitive skating. A shame as she was very expressive and entertaining. I really liked Techno Titanic.
I loved her! :cry:

Ka3sha

The Russian skaters who can glide are: Sotnikova, Pogorilaya, Tsurskaya, Kostornaya, Kolyada. None of them is nearly as good as Chan, Hanyu, Uno, Kozuka or Kostner, they are on Tomasz Werner scale. Just for the record....
Speaking of Kostornaia and skating skills. At GPF I found myself thinking that she used to have better skating skills and posture two years ago. Yeah, I still love her and believe that she is the best among current skaters (Satoko aside), but she stopped progressing and maybe has even slightly regressed in PCS department. And choreography doesn’t help either. Her great basics and natural musicality still helps a lot, but she has so much potential and with right approach can become the best of the best.. It’s a pity her team doesn’t find it necessary to work on PCS as well.

Same with Kolyada. He has always had the potential, but it never lead anywhere.

Last edited:

analia

Sotnikova did have great skating skills. Better than Kostornaya in some ways (speed and power, for example). People complained about her posture but it never bothered me any.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
That falls under the term "skating skills" in English as far as I know unless I am missing some linguistic nuances
Not so much linguistics, but this is the definition of the skating skills. As you can see it includes more than only gliding
"Globally" speaking her skating skills are still mediocre to average..when compared to someone who is actually good
Am just curious - have you ever seen her skating while sitting on the rink? Because it took me seeing Patrick Chan skating live to understand why he is a different league and what is the real difference between him and the rest of the field. His gliding did not look so much different than, say, Pluschenko's on the TV.
The same goes with Sotnikova - her gliding was superior to those she competed with. Fortunately for her she never competed with Chan, Hanuy, Abbott, Verner, Brown, Kozuka, Lambiel, Vassilevski or Uno

starrynight

The actual translations of the first comments of Tarasova and Plushenko are written here and to be honest I didn't think there was anything much controversial in their comments and then next we have the intensely aggressive response from Sambo 70. Of course then everything escalated from Plushenko who doesn't take a fight lying down.

lol I mean a good way for Eteri to continue laying down the law about what happens to anyone who crosses her. Makes you appreciate how brave Medvedeva was to change coaches.

feraina

The actual translations of the first comments of Tarasova and Plushenko are written here and to be honest I didn't think there was anything much controversial in their comments and then next we have the intensely aggressive response from Sambo 70. Of course then everything escalated from Plushenko who doesn't take a fight lying down.

lol I mean a good way for Eteri to continue laying down the law about what happens to anyone who crosses her. Makes you appreciate how brave Medvedeva was to change coaches.
I think I lost even more respect for Eteri after this. Whereas before she was only badmouthing powerless former students, plus maybe Brian Orser, who was far too polite to talk back. This time she went after some very respected figures of Russian figure skating. As straight talking as Russians are, I can’t think of anyone acting like Eteri. Not a shred of humility or respect or professionalism for that matter for anyone who might present the smallest chance of making her look bad.

If ever she stops producing champions, she should watch her back. She’s managing to make enemies left and right.

Perky Shae Lynn

I am amazed that Medvedeva was able to leave her and still have support of Russian fed. Having TATs on her side was huge. Med is fearless, probably more fearless than we realize. It's very telling that Zagitova was looking for human support from Plushenko. Empathy ain't Eter's game.

Eteri is the Viktor Tikhonov of skating. Tikhonov ruled Russian hockey with an iron fist... until he didn't. The players rebelled. Some stayed loyal to the bitter end. Most hated him with a passion. Fetisov, the great Russian defenseman, escaped and was called a traitor in Russia. Both Tutberidze and Tikhonov would not recognize humility if it bit them in you know what. Eteri will inevitably learn her lessons though. That's how the universe works.

Last edited:

Bigbird

I think I lost even more respect for Eteri after this. Whereas before she was only badmouthing powerless former students, plus maybe Brian Orser, who was far too polite to talk back. This time she went after some very respected figures of Russian figure skating. As straight talking as Russians are, I can’t think of anyone acting like Eteri. Not a shred of humility or respect or professionalism for that matter for anyone who might present the smallest chance of making her look bad.

If ever she stops producing champions, she should watch her back. She’s managing to make enemies left and right.

We don't know the half of it. For all we know Eteri was probably spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information