Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Phil Hersh had this to say about Bradie (his post-GPF article is linked in this GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...kating-revolution-progressing-quickly.106546/ ):
Tennell, 21, the top U.S. woman at the 2018 Olympics (ninth) and the last two World Championships (sixth and seventh), this season has displayed the best overall level of skating in her career. But a lack of quads and triple Axels has dropped her exponentially further behind the leaders.
Yet Tennell presses on.
“She may never catch them, but we keep pushing forward, trying to improve on both components and technical,” said Denise Myers, who coaches Tennell. “She is not settling for where she is now.”

SkateFanBerlin

There’s a relationship between a person’s sexual preference and their taste in clothes and makeup?
Is it really "taste". Some ladies can get away with toning it down a little - i.e. Megan Duhammel. But, most show up pretty made up; I think it's expected. Is there a relationship between the sport you choose and "taste" regarding clothes and makeup?

Adam said when he was coming up he had little soldier outfits for each year. I think after he came out he was quite free with what he wore (and, I think a little makeup too!). Would be interesting to see a woman - lesbian or not - who challenged these norms.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I have to believe Adam Rippon coming out has helped others to come forward. It must be strange for Amber. Ladies figure skating is so girly. Maybe she likes the sequins and all that make-up. But, what if she doesn't?
There’s a relationship between a person’s sexual preference and their taste in clothes and makeup?
A woman can be bi/pan and still be feminine. A lot of bi/pan women kind of go back and forth though. Janelle Monae and Tessa Thompson are really good examples of queer women who float back and forth stylistically. Evan Rachel Wood is bi and leans towards more masculine presentation, Anna Paquin is more feminine. It's just what each person likes. I'm bi and my clothing style leans more masculine but I wear a bunch of jewelry and refuse to be seen in public without eyeliner (unless it's the hospital because why put that much effort in looking good when you're going to spend 3 hours in a waiting room).

I don't know much about Amber Glenn outside of the fact that I enjoyed her programs well enough this season, a quick look at her Instagram makes me think she leans feminine but I could be wrong.

Basically this is an overlong way of saying we contain multitudes, some of us vacillate between the feminine and masculine and some of us go more one way than the other.

Tavi

Is it really "taste". Some ladies can get away with toning it down a little - i.e. Megan Duhammel. But, most show up pretty made up; I think it's expected. Is there a relationship between the sport you choose and "taste" regarding clothes and makeup?

Adam said when he was coming up he had little soldier outfits for each year. I think after he came out he was quite free with what he wore (and, I think a little makeup too!). Would be interesting to see a woman - lesbian or not - who challenged these norms.

I do think it’s a matter of taste, with the caveat that since many skaters are quite young, their taste may not be very developed, and they may lack the confidence to say “this is who I am and what I want.”

With respect to Megan, I don’t think it’s a question of what she can get away with - she’s an extremely confident woman and that’s reflected in everything she does and what she wears. Vanessa James, Karina Manta, and Evgenia Medvedeva also have very strongly developed styles. All four of these women present themselves very differently.

Anyway, this is way OT for this thread, but to bring it back slightly on topic, in addition to seeing if Amber’s style morphs now that she’s out, I’m actually very interested to see how Gracie presents herself going forward - because it’s clear that she’s far from the perfect princess she was packaged as.

These books may be of interest to some people:

I think both are available on Amazon.

Tinami Amori

I have to believe Adam Rippon coming out has helped others to come forward. It must be strange for Amber. Ladies figure skating is so girly. Maybe she likes the sequins and all that make-up. But, what if she doesn't?
Clothing and style in general, for many people, is more and more unisex and there are less and less appearance norms of what is feminine or masculine. People of any sexual orientation more and more commonly wear/chose what they find aesthetical, comfortable, self-expressive, etc. One's style today is not an indicator of sexual prefs.

In the "Dallas Voice" article, it says that the term "queer" is now acceptable and preferred by same/bi-sex community.. wow! i don't have a problem with it at all! but, in german "quer" depending on context means "to cross the norm", "au contraire", "be at odds with", "transversal", etc. Interesting that gay/bi community does not mind using a term that underlines "crossing over the norm", thus confirming there is "normal" vs. "other". But it is that communities decision, although i wish, when it came to consensual/adult sex lives of private people, there would not be distinctions in terms of what is "normal" or "other".

After the JGPF Alysa Liu got to do some sightseeing in Rome (Castel Sant’Angelo) and work on the ice as well:
That's my girl!...:biggrinbo

olympic

Pertinent excerpt from the Dallas Voice article:

Ice dancers Karina Manta (in 2018) and Rachel Parsons (after she stopped competing earlier this year) previously have come out publicly as bisexual.

ETA: Wikipedia says Fumie Suguri came out as bisexual in November 2014.

🤩 Fumie?

sk8nlizard

Just waking up and saw this news. Gracie Gold has moved to marina zueva in Michigan

I was unable to get the article to load, but since Zueva is in Florida I would imagine this is an old article. I do not know Gracie but if she is planning to make a coaching change, i would think she would wait til after Nationals to make a move. Moving rinks, homes, coaches is a lot and she worked hard to qualify for Nationals. But who knows?

feraina

The article clearly says "Copyright 2017." 🕵️‍♂️

The chances that Gracie Gold will ever work with Marina Zoueva again are vanishingly small. :shuffle:
I would think so. After all her career and health fell apart under zueva’s watch.

Sylvia

TBD
The article clearly says "Copyright 2017."
This old GG article (Copyright 2017 The Associated Press) comes up in a news search as being published "1 day ago"... very weird.

ETA:

Jeremy Abbott's latest Instagram stories indicate he is on his way to work with Gracie & her rinkmate, junior Lara Annunziata, via train from NYC (presumably headed to Philly / Aston, PA).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Very odd. Yes I saw that it was published today....

I then thought inst Marina in Florida....

I was just waking up..... strange article I guess.

Vagabond

This old GG article (Copyright 2017 The Associated Press) comes up in a news search as being published "1 day ago"... very weird.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone. 😏

skatingguy

decently
I've never heard of the Wellston Journal before but it seems like someone is trying to create a news site by re-posting old news articles to attract clicks. I checked some of the other headlines from the site and google searches find they were all originally posted to other sites in 2017.

Vagabond

I've never heard of the Wellston Journal before but it seems like someone is trying to create a news site by re-posting old news articles to attract clicks. I checked some of the other headlines from the site and google searches find they were all originally posted to other sites in 2017.
It appears to be a fake news site, using a recently registered domain name. See the comments section , and you can look up the domain registration on www.whois.net.

There was a newspaper called the Wellston Journal in Wellston, Mo. that ceased publication in 1964.

Carolla5501

A little makeup? Umm..... it was more than a little LOL!

I would think so. After all her career and health fell apart under zueva’s watch.

Oh let's step back.. See Frank Carroll! He shoved her down that road IMHO!

Sylvia

TBD

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's interesting that Carolina Kostner has been requested to assist Alysa in learning the more creative and mature aspects of skating. Kostner is an excellent advocate and tutor. Maybe with JGPF in Turin, the assistance worked out logistically. I wonder if Alissa Czisny might have also been approached as a former U.S. ladies skater who is also an esteemed artist on the ice. In fact, I believe Carolina was in some ways inspired by Alissa's skating...

Frida80

It's interesting that Carolina Kostner has been requested to assist Alysa in learning the more creative and mature aspects of skating. Kostner is an excellent advocate and tutor. Maybe with JGPF in Turin, the assistance worked out logistically. I wonder if Alissa Czisny might have also been approached as a former U.S. ladies skater who is also an esteemed artist on the ice. In fact, I believe Carolina was in some ways inspired by Alissa's skating...

Wow. I’m dumb. I knew Alysa was still in Italy, i just didn’t realize it was because she was working with Carolina. I thought she was taking a well earned break. :slinkaway

concorde

Wow. I’m dumb. I knew Alysa was still in Italy, i just didn’t realize it was because she was working with Carolina. I thought she was taking a well earned break. :slinkaway
Nationals is less than a month away. No way is the girl gonna take a break in her training. I would think it would intensify.

I do wonder who is pushing who in terms of Alyssa and her dad. I really believe that the amount of training she does is over the top even when you compare what to other US JGP athletes of the same age. Just saying the whole scenario is pretty intense. My biggest fear is that if something happens to her and she cannot ice skate, then what? Its alot of eggs in one basket.

Jammers

I think the biggest thing Carolina is doing with Alysa is teaching her how to skate properly. She needs help with her skating skills and speed which Alysa's coach has failed to do to be honest. It might be as simple as learning how to push the correct way on the ice to get more power and speed. If anyone can do it it's Carolina.

Frida80

Nationals is less than a month away. No way is the girl gonna take a break in her training. I would think it would intensify.

I do wonder who is pushing who in terms of Alyssa and her dad. I really believe that the amount of training she does is over the top even when you compare what to other US JGP athletes of the same age. Just saying the whole scenario is pretty intense. My biggest fear is that if something happens to her and she cannot ice skate, then what? Its alot of eggs in one basket.

I’m pretty sure she’s pushing herself. She’s the type you have to pull off the ice because she’s so eager.

As for the second question, it’s obvious. She’s goes to college and gets a job. Kimmie got accepted into a PA program. Rachel is going to be a psychologist. All skaters eventually retire and find work. Alysa’s father is a lawyer. I’m sure she’s college bound.

Willin

As someone who spent time at the rink she trains at, its ALL her. Her Dad’s rarely there and when he is he’s working on his laptop. He’s not one of those psycho rink parents at the boards forcing their kid to train.

aftershocks

Banned Member
If anyone can do it it's Carolina.

Carolina definitely exhibited great speed as a competitive skater, but that doesn't mean because she was speedy in her career that she can necessarily effectively teach others. Possibly Carolina can, but it's not a given.

Alysa's current coach was also a competitive figure skater, so if she's seeking help for teaching Alysa, that means assistance in coaching Alysa in certain aspects of her skating is needed. Many first coaches can take their students only so far.

I am reminded of the example of Brian Boitano. He stayed very loyal to his coach, Linda Leaver. Meanwhile, Leaver was very smart about ensuring that she sought out coaching assistance and a choreographer in Sandra Bezic, who helped improve the creative and artistic aspects of Brian's skating. This is similar to the way Bradie Tennell's coach has sought outside expert help for Bradie to improve in all aspects of her skating. Sometimes though, skaters find it necessary to switch coaches. The decision should never be taken lightly if there is something calming and productive a star skater finds in the presence of their main/ initial coach.

feraina

As someone who spent time at the rink she trains at, its ALL her. Her Dad’s rarely there and when he is he’s working on his laptop. He’s not one of those psycho rink parents at the boards forcing their kid to train.
I’m not surprised. Not only does she look like she just loves skating, but her dad is a single parent with five little ones to feed and take care of. I doubt he has the time and energy to do any more than taking her to practices and comps and paying for it all.

feraina

I’m not surprised. Not only does she look like she just loves skating, but her dad is a single parent with five little ones to feed and take care of. I doubt he has the time and energy to do any more than taking her to practices and comps and paying for it all.
In fact, I’d guess that the amount of investment required to sustain her passion is such that sometimes he probably feels a little overwhelmed.

Just speaking as the working mother of two little ones, with a wonderfully invested father also in the picture...

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
hmmmm is speed something you can really teach?

I think your body can produce speed or it cannot.

I dont think you could have taught Caroline Z speed at any stage or age in her career.

I dont think Osmond nor Kostner nor Harding were taught to skate fast, they simply just had bodies that could do so...

thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information