Korean skating news & updates

seabm7

It's official now. Ranking and Korean National will not be in Seoul.

Ranking Competition venue,
Yi Sun-sin Ice Rink
370-42 Nambu-ro, Onyang 6(yuk)-dong, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do
61 x 30 m
473 seats

Korean National venue,
Uijeongbu City Government Office Indoor Ice Rink
136 Cheyuk-ro, Nogyang-dong, Uijeongbu-si, Gyeonggi-do
61 x 30 m
986 seats

If you live in Seoul, it will take more than two hours to reach either of these venues, which is about the same amount of time needed to reach the 2018 Olympic venue in Gangneung. :(

Last edited:

gotoschool

I have to say that I was amazed at how much I enjoy the performances of Young You. Though it has been challenging for her to land in competition, her triple axel at Skate Canada has such great horizontal distance and she does it with such beautiful abandon and the spontaneous smile of surprise after landing it is priceless. She has a fabulous mix of power and grace both in skating and in jumps with picturesque symmetrical rotation that is really quick with fine height and distance. She has remarkable maturity, sensitivity and power in artistic expression especially for her age. She also has impressive speed, deep edges with smooth flow, erect posture and beautiful elements like in the LP with the spread eagle transitioning into the triple loop, illusion and a picturesque Biellmann with fabulous centering and speed and the arcing arabesque at the end, with the highlight for me being her stunning Ina Bauer leaning way back with such smooth speed timed just right to coincide with a sublime emotional peak in the music. In addition, the turns, flow and musicality in her step sequence are crisp and rhythmic with a few groovy shoulder shakes and the quick sideways bend and turn with the arms and legs outstretched as she turned to face the camera and audience. Finally, her facial expressions, for example at the beginning and end of the program and during the Ina Bauer, are dramatic but subtle and not overdone. She has lovely expression with her arms which is held for the right amount of time, and there is a wonderful wistful distance in her facial expression, that appears almost like the portrait for a painting, at the beginning and end of the program. While some have criticize the choice of music tracks, I find that they add emotional diversity to the performance through montage that I think is represented best by combining lyrics from each of the three sections into the wistful phrase: The certainties of star quality disappear in a veil of Argentina's tears.

Young You is a striking example to me of why I have decided to judge for myself what performances I like best because I don't feel that she is given the credit she deserves in the system, though she certainly isn't the only skater, though I think everyone else should have the right to decide for themselves as well.

I also really like her SP, but I will try to write more later. As far as Juniors, Haien Lee is another skater I am really impressed with. Her step sequence in her LP is fabulous.

Last edited:

seabm7

Finally,

The venue for the ranking competition is

Gimhae Arts and Sports Center (GASC)

2060 Gimhae-daero, Nae-dong, Gimhae-si, Gyeongsangnam-do
30 x 61 m
464 seats

Figure skating fans from the Busan metropolitan region are very happy now. However, Gimhae, a historical town and suburb city to Busan, is at the Southeastern corner of Korean Peninsular, so it will be a headache for all the competitors who have to find room and boards ASAP. The venue is 40 minutes by light rail from Gimhae International Airport (PUS).

The Busan metropolitan region has a mild seaside weather. It's popular among Russian and Japanese tourists.

Last edited:

Dobre

Moving this conversation from the Team Trainwreck thread so that I can respond to it here (as two serious posts in a row don't really suit the TTW thread ;)):

Thanks for the coaching info. I had thought Yelim was in Colorado but that was maybe just for a brief training stint.

Yelim was in Colorado last season. Per Sylvia, it was always planned to be a one-season experience. I'm not sure which Korean ladies Yelim is training with now. She used to be with the same coach as Wi, but I have not seen Yelim with the same person as before this season so she is possibly at a different rink now from the one where she was training before going to Colorado?

Sylvia

TBD
Yelim was in Colorado last season. Per Sylvia, it was always planned to be a one-season experience.
@seabm7 (not me) posted back during Lombardia Trophy in September: "According to another rumor, her [Yelim's] family planned only one year of training at Colorado from the start."

Hea Sook Shin & Lee Eun Hee are listed as Yelim's current coaches in her ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054721.htm

seabm7

Other than her ISU bio, there has been no official words on Yelim's coach situation this season.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

When will the ranking competition take place?

And sorry to ask again: which team is determined here? 4CC?
I lose track :drama:

Sylvia

TBD
I came across this article (dated October 2, 2019) that was not posted previously in this thread (Haein LEE, 14, is competing this week in her first Junior Grand Prix Final):
That Lee was the third South Korean to reach the Junior Grand Prix podium at three consecutive events is also impressive. At the season-opening event, Grand Prix de Courchevel in France on Aug. 23, Wi Seo-yeong, 14, was the runner-up to Kamila Valieva of Russia. And in Lake Placid, New York, on Aug. 31, the 13-year-old Park Yeon-jeong got silver medal behind Alysa Liu of the United States.
This has already been the most successful ISU Junior Grand Prix season for South Korea, with one event plus the season-ending Grand Prix Final remaining. And that's saying something because the country has produced at least one medalist in the ladies' singles in each of the past four Junior Grand Prix seasons.
... Lee and Wi are eligible for the senior Grand Prix series for the 2020-2021 season, as they will be 15 by July 1 next year. Park, born in January 2006, has two more years before she can start competing in senior events.

seabm7

For the Ranking Competition:

The venue, Gimhae Arts and Sports Center (GASC), has just one ice surface. KSU is going to rent Busan Buk-gu Culture Ice Sports Center to accommodate more practice time during the evening. The distance between GASC and Buk-gu is 20 km.

Last edited:

Marco

I think it is sad that the successful JGP debut of someone as talented as Haein Lee with her consistency and all around solid skating is not met with more enthusiasm. Yes she does not have a quad or 3axel yet but her skating is quite lovely.

binbinwinwin

I think it is sad that the successful JGP debut of someone as talented as Haein Lee with her consistency and all around solid skating is not met with more enthusiasm. Yes she does not have a quad or 3axel yet but her skating is quite lovely.

She is quite lovely and very hardworking and I would love to see her podium but we will see. She actually said in an interview that she has begun practicing the 3A but she is focusing on being clean and giving good performances.

Sylvia

TBD
I think it is sad that the successful JGP debut of someone as talented as Haein Lee with her consistency and all around solid skating is not met with more enthusiasm.
More enthusiasm by whom? Many of us who watched the JGP this fall posted a LOT of positive things about her in the JGP play by play threads this season... she has a lot of fans here. :)

ETA:
As far as Juniors, Haien Lee is another skater I am really impressed with. Her step sequence in her LP is fabulous.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Lee will have to move up to senior before most of the fan base notices her. For example, numerous FSUers have discovered Kostornaia this season even though she was compelling on the JGP circuit.

OTOH, Lee might not move up at her first opportunity. if Lee moves up, she’s probably only getting one initial GP (like Lim and You in their rookie seasons—each got a very late second one from the sub list) and maybe only one total (Kim this year even though she was a JGP Finalist last year). So she might stay junior even though she’s good enough for senior. :wuzrobbed

all_empty

More enthusiasm by whom? Many of us who watched the JGP this fall posted a LOT of positive things about her in the JGP play by play threads this season... she has a lot of fans here. :)

ETA:

Right?? I think I was posting about Haein two years ago lol.

Marco

Great! Her moving up to seniors next season (if she does) is going to give Eunsoo and Young some competition...

seabm7

Eunsoo showing a trio of bank officers how to do stretching. KB bank is the official sponsor for KSU.

seabm7

^ They closed the 4CC ticketing site now. It looks like they still haven't finalized everything.

seabm7

4CC all event tickets open tomorrow.

http://4conti2020seoul.com/intro/

(Note: The official home page may be down due to traffic overload from time to time.)

All event tickets open on December 17, 13:00 KST and
Single tickets/practice session tickets open on January 2, 13:00 KST.

The sale sites for the all event tickets (including gala, main rink practice sessions, booklet, and gifts) are,

in Korean

in English

1,200 South Korean Won (KRW) = 1 US dollar (USD)

Gold package 242,000 Won = 210 USD
Silver package 176,000 Won = 150 USD

Last edited:

insideedgeua

4CC all event tickets open tomorrow.

http://4conti2020seoul.com/intro/

(Note: The official home page may be down due to traffic overload from time to time.)

All event tickets open on December 17, 13:00 KST and
Single tickets/practice session tickets open on January 2, 13:00 KST.

The sale sites for the all event tickets (including gala, main rink practice sessions, booklet, and gifts) are,

in Korean

in English

1,200 South Korean Won (KRW) = 1 US dollar (USD)

Gold package 242,000 Won = 210 USD
Silver package 176,000 Won = 150 USD
Thank you! I’ve been trying to fine 4CC ticket information and this is very helpful. ❤️

Just clarify, are the prices above for single sessions or all event?

seabm7

Day/Single session tickets

Feb. 6 - rhythm dance, pairs short, opening, ladies' short. (practice not included)
- Gold 44,000 KRW, Silver 33,000 KRW

Feb 7 - free dance, men's short. (practice not included)
- Gold 44,000 KRW, Silver 33,000 KRW

Feb 8 - ladies' free, pairs' free. (practice not included)
- Gold 55,000 KRW, Silver 38,500 KRW

Feb 9 men's free only. (gala not included. practice not included)
- Gold 55,000 KRW, Silver 38,500 KRW

Feb 9 gala only. (men's free not included. practice not included)
- Gold 77,000 KRW, Silver 55,500 KRW

Each main rink practice session
- 16,500 KRW. (no seat assignment)

Underground practice rink is not open to general public.

Sylvia

TBD
Tweeted results for the KSU President's Cup Ranking Competition (determines 2020 4CC team): https://twitter.com/eunju975/status/1206771364192907264

Competition thread in Kiss & Cry with results (thanks again, @seabm7): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2019-south-korean-ranking-competition.106534/

SR Ladies top 10:
Yelim KIM 208.67 3 1 (68.61 SP, 140.06 FS)
*Haein LEE 207.36 2 2 (70.23 SP, 137.13 FS)
Eunsoo LIM 201.77 1 4 (72.68 SP, 129.09 FS)
Young YOU 191.74 9 3 (57.46 SP, 134.28 FS)
Jihun TO 191.65 6 5 (63.10 SP, 128.55 FS)
*Seoyeon JI 187.59 5 7 (64.60 SP, 122.99 FS)
Hanul KIM 180.49 14 6 (52.86 SP, 127.63 FS)
*Seoyeong WI 178.41 4 8 (65.64 SP, 112.77 FS)
Jiwon MO 모지원 166.25 8 11 (58.21 SP, 108.04 FS)
Dabin CHOI 164.90 7 13 (60.36 SP, 104.54 FS)
* internationally not senior eligible this season; MO's age is unknown.

SR Men top 5:
Junhwan CHA 254.44 1 1 (89.61 SP, 164.83 FS)
Si Hyeong LEE 215.87 3 2 (71.39 SP, 144.48 FS)
June Hyoung LEE 213.30 2 3 (72.55 SP, 140.75 FS)
Young Hyun CHA 200.50 5 4 (69.18 SP, 131.32 FS)
Sejong BYUN 197.46 4 5 (70.30 SP, 127.16 FS)

SR Dance (1): Yura Min/Daniel Eaton 165.69
JR Dance (1): Jeongeun Jeon/Sungmin Choi 121.44 ( http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106197.htm )

Team Korea for the 2020 Youth Olympic Games, based on the YOG selection competition back in October (Korean article): http://www.gukjenews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=1183954
Young YOU (her DOB is May 27, 2004): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102446.htm
Younghyun CHA (his DOB is Sept. 24, 2003): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102439.htm

Last edited:

seabm7

4CC all event ticket situation

* Gold (2nd floor)
A1 to A5: Not opened. Probably for the ISU family.

A6 to A17: Mostly sold out. However, I expect many people will cancel their tickets tonight or next several days, since there is no penalty fee for next 7 days

* Silver (3rd floor)
B6 to B7: Not opened. Not sure why. Broadcast camera?
B15 to B17: Not opened. Probably for the athletes

B1 and B24: Mostly sold out. These seats are right behind the judges and the VIP area.

Other B areas are mostly untouched by buyers.

Last edited:

insideedgeua

Thanks for all of your information Seabm7.

I already have seats but I managed to get 2 for other family members. As I was trying to set up an account and log in, I could see the number of tickets going down very quickly. I would expect that there will only be single seats left in the Gold.

all_empty

Tweeted results for the KSU President's Cup Ranking Competition (determines 2020 4CC team): https://twitter.com/eunju975/status/1206771364192907264

Competition thread in Kiss & Cry with results (thanks again, @seabm7): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2019-south-korean-ranking-competition.106534/

SR Ladies top 10:
Yelim KIM 208.67 3 1 (68.61 SP, 140.06 FS)
*Haein LEE 207.36 2 2 (70.23 SP, 137.13 FS)
Eunsoo LIM 201.77 1 4 (72.68 SP, 129.09 FS)
Young YOU 191.74 9 3 (57.46 SP, 134.28 FS)
Jihun TO 191.65 6 5 (63.10 SP, 128.55 FS)
*Seoyeon JI 187.59 5 7 (64.60 SP, 122.99 FS)
Hanul KIM 180.49 14 6 (52.86 SP, 127.63 FS)
*Seoyeong WI 178.41 4 8 (65.64 SP, 112.77 FS)
Jiwon MO 모지원 166.25 8 11 (58.21 SP, 108.04 FS)
Dabin CHOI 164.90 7 13 (60.36 SP, 104.54 FS)
* internationally not senior eligible this season; MO's age is unknown.

Despite her placement, Hanul had a fantastic free where she hit everything. IMO she was better than Eunsoo that night but some under-rotations and lower PCS may have fit in.

ETA, I described her as "boxy" and she totally isn't upon rewatching. Great performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QciqVB77afA

Very innovative choreo sequence and great video quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information