Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Cant Skate

Of course because they train there...I'm just stating what I saw listed. They can represent one province while training in another. I can't understand why they would switch though if it's not a typo because funding for athletes in Quebec is waaaay better than what Alberta athletes get. Which probably has a lot to do with why Purich and Chudak also represent Quebec even though they are BOTH from Alberta.

Colonel Green

Meagan is formally listed as a coach on the Japanese team Miura/Kihara's ISU bio, which is, I believe, the first time any of the Oakville pairs have listed her as such (even though we've seen her clearly acting like a coach at a number of domestic events for Canadian junior teams).

aftershocks

Banned Member
Kirsten/Mike attacked that free so much better than SCI, speed in and out of everything. They are really well trained this season. Clean up death spiral and spins, they could get a bronze in Montreal.

Yep, KM-T/M had a better start to this season and better programs than last season. Kirsten was injured and they had a slow start to training last season. As well, Kirsten has admitted struggling a bit with her competitive mindset in suddenly being Canada's #1 team. It is certainly a tremendous help to have a strong, politically adept fed backing them. It's also obviously a boost for 2020 Worlds being in Montreal during a season where there's a lot of jockeying for position with some top teams taking a break.

I'm sure Skate Canada will be pushing for Kirsten & Michael to get on the podium in Montreal, along with Gilles/Poirier in ice dance. It will be interesting to see what happens, particularly as we all know that Canada is scrambling to rebuild in all their disciplines with the retirements of their veterans post 2018 Olympics. M-T/M have definitely grabbed and taken advantage of their opportunities this season. The judges enjoy rewarding fight and consistency. Still, it will take more than cleaning up death spiral and spins to get on the World podium. M-T/M are not an unbeatable, rock solid team with great weapons. Their biggest weapons are heart, toughness and consistency, plus political backing and the perception of Canada having a strong legacy in pairs.

Getting on the pairs podium in Montreal would be a huge coup for K&M, but the possibility will revolve around the performances of a number of teams with more rep, at least on paper. Certainly, Peng/Jin haven't yet produced what they are capable of, particularly with Peng skating injured, and of course T/M are vulnerable right now. As well, it's not clear yet who will be the third Russian team at Worlds: Will Z/E be back? Will one of the younger teams Mish/Gal or Pav/Kho prevail over Stol/Novo and/or Z/E at Russian Nationals? The Italians aren't looking very competitive at the moment (also dealing with injury).

Sui/Han should take World gold with no close rivals, and Boi/Koz are odds on favorite for silver. What happens at GPF will also matter in K&M's quest if they can manage to take down P/J, Mish/Gal, and Pav/Kho for bronze, which isn't impossible, but it's also not a slam dunk. The same will go for Worlds. If K&M are third or fourth at GPF, they help their chances at Worlds. Placing 5th or 6th at GPF won't give them as much bragging rights or momentum to make the podium at Worlds. Still, qualifying for GPF is a boon all by itself, regardless of where they place among the six teams.

If Luba & Charlie further develop into an exciting team with greater difficulty, a unique style and exceptional elements, it will be interesting to see the battle that ensues between them and M-T/M at Canadian Nationals going forward. Right now, K&M are taking every advantage of their opportunities this season with top teams out, and L&C still building a new partnership.

As someone mentioned earlier, it would be even more interesting to see how Kirsten and Trennt might have fared as partners. It won't happen at this juncture since both have already invested so much into their current partnerships, and it's difficult restarting as a new team. Still, Trennt is such a great pairs guy and Kirsten is such a great pairs diva that the 'What ifs' are definitely worth contemplating. Albeit I never thought of it until someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. Meanwhile, Michael with Evelyn would at the least be a good physical match, and they both appear to have neat, easygoing personalities.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Meagan is formally listed as a coach on the Japanese team Miura/Kihara's ISU bio, which is, I believe, the first time any of the Oakville pairs have listed her as such (even though we've seen her clearly acting like a coach at a number of domestic events for Canadian junior teams).

Miura/Kihara are looking very strong. It was cool seeing their reaction in the kiss 'n cry at NHK after breaking into 60+ territory in the sp. It will be fun seeing Meagan in the kiss 'n cry as a coach. :)

Colonel Green

As far as major international medals go, I think KMT & Michael’s default placement at the Grand Prix Final would be fourth. Getting on the podium means out-jumping default third place Peng & Jin, like they did at Four Continents (there was also a bad throw there, which P/J also occasionally have given how huge they are). Bronze is certainly achievable there, with a little luck.

It’s very hard to get them higher than fifth at Worlds, the way things currently stand — that’s based on the assumption that James/Cipres are back in good form (Zabiiako/Enbert remain an unknown). They’d need to be clean in a very messy event to move onto the podium. Not impossible, but unlikely.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Bronze is certainly achievable there, with a little luck.

ITA that 4th is the default for K&M on paper at GPF. Obviously, bronze is definitely possible, considering K&M's performances on the GP, their good programs, political back-up and judges' good favor. Yet, bronze is not a slam dunk with the hungry 2nd and 3rd Russian teams in the mix, and Peng/Jin to overcome as well. P/J obviously haven't yet fully lived up to their talent nor have they been particularly consistent. It's been reported that Peng is skating with pain, so that's a factor too.

Because of the young Russians' (M/G & P/K) strong tech abilities they are given higher PCS scores than they deserve. Probably M-T/M will be shown more respect on PCS over them, which didn't happen at Skate America for Denney/Frazier over P/K as much as it should have. Of course, D/F's jump consistency weakness is the main issue that held them back a bit. Still IMO, at home D/F with their strong fp should have grabbed silver over P/K. The kicker was C-G/LD not performing as expected for taking gold at SA (with most of the political capital backing them).

If K&M perform consistently and aggressively at GPF, and the other teams falter a bit, bronze is possible there. Still, a lot would have to happen for KMT getting on GPF podium (i.e., P/J, M/G, and P/K having problems), but the odds aren't as difficult as they will be at Worlds.

It’s very hard to get them higher than fifth at Worlds, the way things currently stand — that’s based on the assumption that James/Cipres are back in good form...

The fact of Worlds taking place in Montreal is the biggest reason for K&M and their fans hoping for the podium there. It certainly doesn't hurt to have the podium as a goal. I haven't heard with any certainty that J/C are planning to be at Worlds next year. It looks like they may be gearing up for Euros though. I guess Worlds isn't out of the question for them either particularly in view of the competitive lay of the land this season. It will depend on how J/C and their coaches feel they are doing and what their strategies are going forward.

I agree that it will be more difficult for K&M at Worlds to reach the podium than at GPF, regardless of whether J/C and Z/E are back. Because if Z/E don't make Worlds for Russia, either M/G or P/K could take their place. And Peng/Jin are always a factor. So whatever happens at GPF will be interesting, in terms of trying to gain momentum and rep advantage.

Colonel Green

ITA that 4th is the default for K&M on paper at GPF.
If K&M perform consistently and aggressively at GPF, and the other teams falter a bit, bronze is possible there. Still, a lot would have to happen for KMT getting on GPF podium (i.e., P/J, M/G, and P/K having problems), but the odds aren't as difficult as they will be at Worlds.
You agree that they're fourth on paper, but then say them being third would require three other teams to have problems, which would mean you actually think they're sixth on paper.

Kirsten & Michael beat M/G at NHK in both programs -- in the short program, where both made errors and KMT/M had the lower TES, they still won. And in the free skate, where both skated cleanly, KMT/M also won (despite lower TES due to level issues and lower GOE things like the twist).

While it is only one competition, the data we have says that a clean KMT/M beats a clean M/G. They've never competed against P/K, but their scores this season have been higher then them too.

I haven't heard with any certainty that J/C are planning to be at Worlds next year.
They are. There's no uncertainty there.

aftershocks

Banned Member
They are. There's no uncertainty there.

I'm with Claire. Is there a link which provides certainty about J/C's plans? We've heard different things about their plans due to them juggling Vanessa's appearance on BOTB. The latest I heard, based on a brief interview Jackie Wong had with Vanessa for Ice Talk, is that they are prepping for Euros. Initially, J/C had planned to compete at French Nationals and Euros, and skip Worlds this season. But Vanessa explained that those plans became uncertain when they weren't able to get the training time they had anticipated during her stint on the show.

Since Vanessa and her Canadian hockey star partner were eliminated earlier than expected from BOTB, perhaps she and Morgan have gotten caught up with their training. The interview with Jackie is posted in their fan thread. Vanessa mentioned Euros, but I didn't hear her say anything definite about Worlds for this year. They may be playing it by ear, unless you have some unimpeachable insider scuttlebutt that trumps the rest of us lowly fans. :p

Obviously, this discussion while precipitated by KMT/M's competitive outlook, is straying into general pairs thread territory and should be taken there, or to J/C's thread regarding their plans. Sorry for the OT...

Last edited:

clairecloutier

On Sept. 13, James/Cipres posted a French federation press release on their Facebook page. The press release stated that they would compete only at French Nationals and Europeans this season (not Worlds).

That's why I was wondering if there is a newer link with more info.

I would love it if they decide to compete at Worlds!

Colonel Green

That's a different phrasing of J/C's plans than I had previously seen regarding Nationals/Europeans, so my perception might indeed have been mistaken (perish the thought :drama: ).

But frankly, if they felt ready to compete at Europeans, I'm not sure why they wouldn't go to Worlds.

aftershocks

Banned Member
You agree that they're fourth on paper, but then say them being third would require three other teams to have problems, which would mean you actually think they're sixth on paper.

Kirsten & Michael beat M/G at NHK in both programs -- in the short program, where both made errors and KMT/M had the lower TES, they still won. And in the free skate, where both skated cleanly, KMT/M also won (despite lower TES due to level issues and lower GOE things like the twist).

While it is only one competition, the data we have says that a clean KMT/M beats a clean M/G. They've never competed against P/K, but their scores this season have been higher then them too.

There's no need to split hairs. Regarding 'default,' I was just going along with you on that, but I typically don't subscribe to 'default' terminology or thinking when opining about possible skating outcomes. Regardless of any of the parameters of our debate, GPF is a completely different animal from GP competitions.

Good re the head-to-head numbers vs M/G that you cite. I already indicated that K&M should be ahead on PCS over both M/G and P/K. Plus, K&M have veteran status, solid political backing and good rep from their recent performances. Tech is another matter, dependent upon how teams perform on the day. Although on paper per past events, the Russians have the technical advantage.

On Sept. 13, James/Cipres posted a French federation press release on their Facebook page. The press release stated that they would compete only at French Nationals and Europeans this season (not Worlds)...

I would love it if they decide to compete at Worlds!

Thanks Claire. If you didn't hear Vanessa's interview with Ice Talk, which she gave to Jackie Wong at Skate Canada, you can find the link in J/C's fan thread. That interview is the most recent update I'm aware of. I thought Colonel Green had insider info with that adamant claim about Worlds.

Last edited:

barbarafan

There's no need to split hairs. Regarding 'default,' I was just going along with you on that, but I typically don't subscribe to 'default' terminology or thinking when opining about possible skating outcomes. Regardless of any of the parameters of our debate, GPF is a completely different animal from GP competitions.

Good re the head-to-head numbers vs M/G that you cite. I already indicated that K&M should be ahead on PCS over both M/G and P/K. Plus, K&M have veteran status, solid political backing and good rep from their recent performances. Tech is another matter, dependent upon how teams perform on the day. Although on paper per past events, the Russians have the technical advantage.

Thanks Claire. If you didn't hear Vanessa's interview with Ice Talk, which she gave to Jackie Wong at Skate Canada, you can find the link in J/C's fan thread. That interview is the most recent update I'm aware of. I thought Colonel Green had insider info with that adamant claim about Worlds.
I just saw an instagram (on Vanessa's)of them working with Shae Lyne...Bourne.

puglover

Pairs has lost some of it's intrigue for me. Now everyone is doing pretty much the same elements and the differences if skated clean are all about the GOE per element with perhaps the program adding something.

blue_idealist

That's a different phrasing of J/C's plans than I had previously seen regarding Nationals/Europeans, so my perception might indeed have been mistaken (perish the thought :drama: ).

But frankly, if they felt ready to compete at Europeans, I'm not sure why they wouldn't go to Worlds.

Yeah, that doesn't really make sense to skip Worlds and do Euros, unless they have something else going on during Worlds or don't want to travel far.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Yeah, that doesn't really make sense to skip Worlds and do Euros, unless they have something else going on during Worlds or don't want to travel far.

Eh, if they have touring opportunities and can avoid Montreal "spring," then more power to them. But I totally agree, and hope they change their minds.

I've finally seen KMT/MM's LP from NHK, and wow, justice for Kirsten, and my undying point that she really was born to be a pair girl. She's got it in her! I'm sorry, who is she skating with again?

Nationals is going to be a bloodbath! So exciting!

karmena

Janef

Pairs has lost some of it's intrigue for me. Now everyone is doing pretty much the same elements and the differences if skated clean are all about the GOE per element with perhaps the program adding something.
I think i know what you mean. There is a certain amount of predictability as well. Like when you see certain teams you already know before they start they are going to botch a twist or miss the side by side jumps I also think there is only a few teams right now that have that at extra something that makes them stand out and shine above the others

Janef

Eh, if they have touring opportunities and can avoid Montreal "spring," then more power to them. But I totally agree, and hope they change their minds.

I've finally seen KMT/MM's LP from NHK, and wow, justice for Kirsten, and my undying point that she really was born to be a pair girl. She's got it in her! I'm sorry, who is she skating with again?

Nationals is going to be a bloodbath! So exciting!
Yes she sure has a sparkle on the ice. She seems to embrace both the performance and competitive aspect of the sport

Catherine M

barbarafan

I was at a Saints/Falcons game watch party last night so missed jr and sr pairs so am starting my day off with the replay on dailymotion of Sr pairs short programs. Here's the link if anyone needs it:

thank-you so much....I was jumping in and out and only have seen a few teams.xxx

Catherine M

Random thoughts after watching jr and sr Short programs from challenge this morning.

First of all, thanks to Skate Canada for making the Dailymotion feed not geo blocked.

1. Sign me up for the Stellato/Deschamps bandwagon. They are amazing. You forget that they haven't been skating that long together. I'm going to start the prayer circle that USFS doesn't become petty and Deanna gets her release now that her ISU time is almost up after Golden Spin next week. I've always thought that Max was a top pairs guy so I'm happy that he looks so happy skating with Deanna.

2. If her name wasn't on my screen, I would have never, ever recognized Chloe Choinard. She's all grown up now and looks sooooooo good. Still a shame her partnership with Mathieu Ostiguy had to end due to height difference, something that can't be controlled. I know Davis has been out of skating/competing for awhile so I'll give him a break but hopefully skate canada is monitoring Choinard closely as she's a true talent.

3. I want to get on the Brasseur/Bardei bandwagon so badly but right now they seem like two singles skaters that met up in the lobby and decided to skate together. At least she landed the throw.

4. I think that double axel by Chloe Panetta was the first one she's ever landed in competition.

5. Puberty comes when you least expect it as I think Brooke McIntosh looks like she's 6 inches taller than two months ago when she was on the JGP. Be interesting to see if she and Toste can rebound in the free later today.

6. Levesque & Hudon's skate made me :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information