What should Stanislava Konstantinova do at this point?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I felt really bad for Stasia Konstantinova, particularly at COR. She had a terrible SA but I thought she would skate better at COR to redeem herself. She did not. I don't know if she is focusing on school, like her teammate Maria Sotskova is doing. She has often struggled with her jumps but the rest of her skating is mature and artistic, when she lands the jumps.

With the new crop of talented skaters, even past world champions may not make the world/Euro team. Is there a reason some of these skaters who are not 'old' but just don't have the talent to make it to even a GP next year? Why would they be still trying to compete? I am sure each has her own reasons and we don't know what they are.

I was thinking that Stasia is just 19. May be she could switch to ice dance? She has good artistic qualities even though she is lacking in jumps. I am not saying one can just switch to ice dance. It could be 3-4 years before she becomes a contender for a GP assignment, but if she really wants to have a career in skating, may be she needs to look at other disciplines, or skate as a pro, without the pressure of competition. Skating singles in the deep ladies field in Russia must be so tough, and in Stasia's case she is not competitive with even skaters from other countries.

If she is like Sotskova, she could go to school, get a college degree and find another career. I can't decide that for her. Only she can, but I find it very painful to see her struggle the way she did in both her GPs this year. She is going to be even lower when more youngsters turn senior next year. To me at least, it appears that she won't have a future in Russia as a skater after this season.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Biggest thing IMO is that she needs to go back and re-learn the jumps without the hand(s) over her head. It’s really throwing her off now, and if it’s not causing her to be tilted from the take-off, she’s underrotating the jumps probably because of the added force.

She was pretty consistent for a while but has always seemed to crumble under the biggest pressures after Russian Nationals. This year, she has none of that and isn’t really skating inspired either.

Since she’s not going to be able to completely rework her technique in a month (before Nationals), I wouldn’t expect much from her there. It’s going to have to be an off-season of working really hard, starting in January, but even then she’s highly unlikely to get anything past a Grand Prix in the future for Russia.

bardtoob

Since she is fit from being an athlete, maybe she can maintain her fitness and spend her time posting pictures of herself on Instagram shopping, clubbing, and soaking up sun throughout Europe ... You know, to inspire the little people.

... I jest, of course.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
No, the country really did change it's name - they're the Sean Combs, Puff Daddy, P. Diddy of countries.

This is crazy. They change their country’s name like changing costumes (wildly exaggerated statement of course).

Ka3sha

No, the country really did change it's name - they're the Sean Combs, Puff Daddy, P. Diddy of countries.
It has always been “Czechia” in Russian language, so I wonder if it has something to do with Slavic languages and Cyrillic alphabet.

As for Stanislava - I have liked her since 2015/16 season when she had a wonderful “The Sleeping Beauty” LP in which she was not a Sleepong Beauty (as probably any other 14 yo girl would do), but Carabosse:

To me it seems that something went completely wrong after the Aurora Games. Maybe an injury or any other serious problem - can’t say. She has always been a headcase and a true trainwreck, but it was not the same. For example, at Eusos last year it was pretty clear that she failed in the SP just because of nerves and pressure and that she would nail everything in the LP on the next day. And now she seems to be completely off.

Last edited:

Taso

I'm worried about Stanislava, too. She was always this on one segment of the competition, off the next, on one event, off the next type of skater. 3 disastrous competitions in a row with each segment a mess is just...something is wrong. It can't just be her headspace, right? She has written about her struggles in that area herself a few times. I hope she heals through whatever is bothering her. I love her tremendous power and expressiveness, and she seems like a kind soul. It's my hope she switches to the Malaguena program from the Aurora Games and nails her beautiful February SP at Golden Spin and Russian Nationals. Would be nice...

S

SmallFairy

It was always Czechia in Norwegian too (or Tsjekkia in our spelling) so no big deal really;)

And for Stasia....I just want her to shine, she’s such a beautiful skater. I don’t know what’s wrong,but she seems so off, and it’s heartbreaking to watch:(

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It must be so difficult for skaters like Konstantinova and to a lesser degree, Sotskova and Samodurova, knowing that even at their best, they are still going to be at a massive technical disadvantage to Team Eteri's 3A.

Last edited:

Bonjour Sherry

No offense to Stasia, but although she's had tough luck, she has been WAY more fortunate than many other Russian ladies who were unceremoniously dumped by the judges or the federation (i.e., Gubanova, Tsurskaya, Nugumanova, Tarusina).

She was given many opportunities to prove herself (JW, Worlds, Euros). After blowing up a major competition, she was given a second chance, and she would blow it up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information