Why all of the mid-routine costume changes?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Truly.Why all of the mid routine costume alterations (Scherbakova, Meite, LeCavelier, Zabiako, Kavaguti-the first?)? What on earth does it have to do with sport? Is it written into the IJS code of points, eg, effect a costume change in the middle of a step sequence to raise the level?

Have skaters from countries other than Russia and France ever done this? (Yeah, Scott Hamilton comically altered his costume a dozen times during his Wizard of Oz routine for SOI. That was for pure comic entertainment, though.)

hanca

Values her privacy
Truly.Why all of the mid routine costume alterations (Scherbakova, Meite, LeCavelier, Zabiako, Kavaguti-the first?)? What on earth does it have to do with sport? Is it written into the IJS code of points, eg, effect a costume change in the middle of a step sequence to raise the level?

Have skaters from countries other than Russia and France ever done this? (Yeah, Scott Hamilton comically altered his costume a dozen times during his Wizard of Oz routine for SOI. That was for pure comic entertainment, though.)
Why couldn’t competitive programs have change of costumes for entertainment? I like to be entertained while watching competitions. If it is not forbidden to make those changes, then it is allowed.

skatfan

Hamilton did a ton of costume changes for “Walk This Way” (oops it was actually Hair!) -don’t remember the Wizard of Oz program though.

I think costume changes are fine if done for a reason. LeCavelier and Shcherbakova seem well thought out and helpful to their programs.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sorry but this belongs in the Trash can. Is there an article on this topic or just an opinion? I don’t see a link to an article or interview, etc. I enjoy the costume changes when well done, and it is JMO.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Frau Muller

Scott’s Oz was the greatest - hilarious. He went from Dorothy to Wicked Witch to midget (lollipop guild), etc. (Jeff Bilings masterpiece of a costume that changed character a dozen times!) It’s from the 1998 SOI tour, the one right after his return from major illness: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-jan-15-ca-8416-story.html
I have it in my DVD collection...just rewatched & laughed like crazy now!...but all “views” seem to have been pulled from YouTube. Hence, whenever I see a costume change in an ISU competition, my first thought is “comedy tonight.”

I started this thread sincerely wondering if the rules offered a points incentive for doing the costume switch. I find it outrageously tacky/funny but, if there’s a bump in points, then I understand the motivation.

Last edited:

zigzig

I LOVE these!! It’s obvious that the skaters love it and if it makes it more fun for them to perform then why shouldn’t they impart that joy to the audience?

I also loved Vanessa Gusmeroli’s jewel thief program where she reveals the stolen bracelet :lol:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

It is totally stupid. Competely not related either to the program or the sport. Can you imagine the 49's changing their shirts before they kick for extra points?!!!!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I still don't get why Trusova has one and Kostornaia doesn't. It would make so much more sense for Twilight. (Maybe it's just because I've never seen GoT!)

Frau Muller

Can you imagine the 49ers placeholder and kicker doing side by side 2axels before kickoff?

Totally different sports. Apples and oranges. Not to mention the NFL is notorious for multiple sets of uniforms: home, away, throwback, color rush, etc.

You said the word: SPORT. Tacky (or not) costume changes are for EXHIBITIONS. Like Scott Hamilton used to do...in SHOWS. Also Victor Petrenko’s Tosca pro-comp number, when he switched to a bloody shirt at the end. I could only laugh...although the character got shot. Silly gimmick.

Last edited:

skatfan

You said the word: SPORT. Tacky (or not) costume changes are for EXHIBITIONS.

I remember a certain Russian pairs team incorporating a costume change and winning a world title and Olympic silver medal back in the 1990s. It’s not new.:rolleyes:

Marco

Why?

Why not? To me this isn't all that different to a mid-program music or tempo change. In theory, if the change helps convey the story or express the mood, then sure this should help the score (a little bit). If it doesn't, then no one should care.

It's still a thrill to watch.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I find costume changes usually happen when a skater can't really tell a story or hold interest to the point you are zoning out of the performance and voila, costume change to wake the audience and judges up again. I'm more impressed by those that don't need the gimmick.

Frau Muller

Exactly. It’s a gimmick & a tacky one at that. Just like Petrenko’s tasteless switch to the bloody shirt at the end of his Tosca exhibition. Eteri’s talented skaters don’t need this sort of silly distraction. I understand the pro exhibitions. Or, in the eligible ranks, if a mediocre skater is banking on the gimmick to get an audience reaction...but I don’t understand why Eteri’s brilliant skaters need or want this.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

IJS has hobbled singles and pairs of so much individuality and originality, I'm all for skaters who offer something a little bit different.

Drag race could provide some inspiration as well. Some of the contestant's 'RuVeals' are mind-blowing.

Frau Muller

Ban the costume changes in a serious sport, I say! And while we’re at it, ban lyrics once again...especially sappy female ballads (Amber Glenn sort of stuff). All of this is ok for exhibitions or pro show skating. Harrumph!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Ban the costume changes in a serious sport, I say! And while we’re at it, ban lyrics once again...especially sappy female ballads (Amber Glenn sort of stuff). All of this is ok for exhibitions or pro show skating. Harrumph!

As AbFab's Edina Monsoon said to her best friend when the two of them crashed daughter, Saffy's study group in the family kitchen, "Watch out, Pats. We're entering a 'no fun' zone".

Last edited:

Orm Irian

I'd have thought it was kind of hard to argue against a costume change in a program based on a character whose storyline literally involves getting a makeover...

Frau Muller

As AbFab's Edina Monsoon said to her best friend when the two of them crashed daughter, Saffy's study group in the family kitchen, "Watch out, Pats. We're entering a 'no fun' zone".

I wish that we would enter a “Stop pandering to the masses for higher ratings” zone! How about elegance and dignity, to heck with ratings. This used to be a beautifully ELEGANT and CLASSICAL-MUSIC-FOCUSED sport.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I wish that we would enter a “Stop pandering to the masses for higher ratings” zone! How about elegance and dignity, to heck with ratings. This used to be a beautifully ELEGANT and CLASSICAL-MUSIC-FOCUSED sport.

I think you need to stick with the ballet if you’re concerned with skating attempting to catch up to the times. And we were seeing different genres of music coming into skating in the early 70’s, if not earlier (where there are hardly any videos).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information