From Russia with Love [#34]: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
:lol: The fed isn't going to WD Konstantinova if they left Sotskova to compete.
No, I don’t think they are, but only because at this moment there is no one significantly better. One could argue that Nugumanova, Gubanova and Guliakova are better, but their results were not such that one would bother to do the swap. They may look better in home competitions, but internationally they wouldn’t necessarily get better score than Konstantinova, so Konstantinova may as well compete herself.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
No, I don’t think they are, but only because at this moment there is no one significantly better. One could argue that Nugumanova, Gubanova and Guliakova are better, but their results were not such that one would bother to do the swap. They may look better in home competitions, but internationally they wouldn’t necessarily get better score than Konstantinova, so Konstantinova may as well compete herself.

Sakhanovich did much better in her GP. Give her another one, but may be Stasia will surprise everyone this time.

hanca

Values her privacy
Sakhanovich did much better in her GP. Give her another one, but may be Stasia will surprise everyone this time.
Sakhanovich didn’t do much better. She scored 175, which is not acceptable even for Russian junior girl and she is a senior. Her score may be higher than Konstantinova’s score, but there is not much difference in both of them getting score that their federation can’t be happy with.

Tinami Amori

At Volvo cup (ladies jr. results for top 2).

Sinitsina - 1st after FS.

Shabotova - 2nd (she cried at bit in k-n-c, not happy with results, but was fine by medal ceremony).

Medal ceremony.

ChiquitaBanana

few tidbits:

---
Volvo cup was interesting... :D

Ksenya Sinitsina skated SP at Volvo Cup, missed her first jump combo, currently in 6th place, but will likely make up the difference in FS. Her only competition is Shabotova (now rep. Ukraine), so it is 1 and 2 for either one of them.

Sinitsina SP (in 6th currently)

The time it took before she got to the Kiss and cry was something... That fight and arm squeezing. I wonder how long she’ll stick with her coaches. Clearly there is something not working there. I know, teenagers can be a mess at times...

Tinami Amori

The time it took before she got to the Kiss and cry was something... That fight and arm squeezing. I wonder how long she’ll stick with her coaches. Clearly there is something not working there. I know, teenagers can be a mess at times...
That was Moiseeva, not her main coach, Panova is her main coach. Sinitsina is usually calm and reserved. That was not her typical behavior. not making excuses, just listing facts. She fell on her steady element, and was very upset. The time the girls had to skate was 8:00 am, she skated second at 8:15 am, and was clearly not very awake.

She is literally "head to head" at the rink with Shabotova, and did not want to lose to her. She is also competing with Tarakanova (in the rink setting) for "favorite girl in her group" and Tarakanova is not a push-over either. Now that Kanysheva left, there are 3 girls trying for the "leadership" in the group, and having a failed skate means "losing ground".

Mad for Skating

Mikhail Kolyada on Instagram on his surgery:

They make such a beautiful couple!

however... something very interesting... :lol: Nina Mozer and Fedor Klimov were accompanying and training, this rather unknown skaters.. Varvara Kurosenko (one can see Mozer's profile during the skate, and sitting in Kiss and Cry with Fedor Klimov).

Aw, it’s always nice to see Fedor around, he seems to be a very supportive coach. But I would hardly call that “something very interesting” as if it’s a grand conspiracy ;)

As far as I can tell from her Instagram, Fedor has been coaching her for about a year or so, and before that she was at Angels of Plushenko. She's not the first singles skater Fedor has worked with. I don't know if she has any prospects, but I do like her costume. 🤷‍♀️

That’s great! I believe he’s also coaching a junior girl from Croatia along with the Croatian pair team Petranovic/Souza-Kordeiru.

Now this is simply adorable! Thanks for sharing, I needed a smile!

hanca

Values her privacy
I wonder if Korovin will find another partner. He is pretty reliable jumper, but I don’t think with Efimova they will get anywhere. The juniors are ageing up every year and moving to seniors. In the past two season Efimova/Korovin has been overtaken by Pavliuschenko/Khodykhin, Boikova/Kozlovski and Mishina/Galliamov and with every year they will be further dropping in standings. After this season there are another three promising pairs that will be moving up... It’s a pity to waste a good partner only because Efimova can’t jump.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I wonder if Korovin will find another partner. He is pretty reliable jumper, but I don’t think with Efimova they will get anywhere. The juniors are ageing up every year and moving to seniors. In the past two season Efimova/Korovin has been overtaken by Pavliuschenko/Khodykhin, Boikova/Kozlovski and Mishina/Galliamov and with every year they will be further dropping in standings. After this season there are another three promising pairs that will be moving up... It’s a pity to waste a good partner only because Efimova can’t jump.

They can also move and skate for Azerbaijan or Belarus

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
La Tuk missed the GPF by falling on the SP
oh well

The 3A had been her money jump this season. Too bad she fell on it in the SP. she could have still won the silver by either doing 3f3t instead of 3f2t in the SP or by not making the two mistakes in the LP.

It is water under the bridge now. Best luck at the Russian nationals and next season.i feel bad for her.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Watching Sui/Han's Lori Nichols choreography really, really makes me wonder why the Russians have never gone to her for pair choreography. S/H are excellent skaters but the placements of the elements to the music is what really makes that program special. All they have to do is execute. I had high hopes for Marina (and will wait till the end of the season to pass final judgment), but the Olympic season is fast approaching. There's a lot of talent in the Russian pair field, but they need something to work with to let that talent shine. The Chinese realized they needed help and went and found it. Come on Russia. Give your talented skaters something that show cases their talents best!

hanca

Values her privacy
Watching Sui/Han's Lori Nichols choreography really, really makes me wonder why the Russians have never gone to her for pair choreography. S/H are excellent skaters but the placements of the elements to the music is what really makes that program special. All they have to do is execute. I had high hopes for Marina (and will wait till the end of the season to pass final judgment), but the Olympic season is fast approaching. There's a lot of talent in the Russian pair field, but they need something to work with to let that talent shine. The Chinese realized they needed help and went and found it. Come on Russia. Give your talented skaters something that show cases their talents best!
I don’t think the choreography is their biggest problem. They have had problems with consistency; they have been making silly mistakes. It is then hard to fight against pairs that are clean.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Watching Sui/Han's Lori Nichols choreography really, really makes me wonder why the Russians have never gone to her for pair choreography

Lori Nichol will not work with the Russian pairs, so it’s not an option. In an interview last year, it sounded like Trankov would have taken T/M to her for choreo if he could have.

I suppose she has her reasons, but she’s missing out on getting to work with some amazing talent.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Lori Nichol will not work with the Russian pairs, so it’s not an option. In an interview last year, it sounded like Trankov would have taken T/M to her for choreo if he could have.

I suppose she has her reasons, but she’s missing out on getting to work with some amazing talent.
That's too bad.

Cherub721

YEAH!

She did the other T&M's LP in 2005 I believe. She must have changed her stance or Trankov was exaggerating.

feraina

She did the other T&M's LP in 2005 I believe. She must have changed her stance or Trankov was exaggerating.
Did trankov say she wouldn’t or they couldn’t? Lori charges a lot. RusFed may not be able to afford it.

Tinami Amori

There are no words (documented) from Lori Nichol about "not working with Russians". A while back there was an interview with Trankova on RIA/R-sport and it was Trankov who made this comment, that sounds more like his assumption.

T: Although, i myself always dreamed about working on a programme in Canada with Lori Nichol.
Q: What is stopping you from asking her now? (for T/M)
T: Lori does not choreograph for the Russians. She works with Chinese a lot, creates the most wonderful work for them, but in her whole career, as far as i know, has not created even one piece for our pairs. Why? I was never able to find an answer to this question.

- ...... Хотя сам я, например, всегда мечтал о том, чтобы поставить программу в Канаде у Лори Никол.
- Что же мешает обратиться к этому специалисту сейчас?
- Лори не ставит программы русским. Она много работает с китайцами, делает для них совершенно замечательные постановки, но за всю свою карьеру, насколько мне известно, не поставила ни одной программы никакой из наших пар. Почему? На этот вопрос я никогда не находил ответа.

Did trankov say she wouldn’t or they couldn’t? Lori charges a lot. RusFed may not be able to afford it.
Again...... this is how the conversation went (Trankov's words in another interview).

Q: Talking about the Chinese (S/H), how can one catch up with them? increase the difficulty in tech-content, adjust something mentally?
T: The Chinese have a weapon, which we can not surpass, unfortunately. It's Lori Nichol's choreography. She creates fantastic programmes, and develops a non-chinese (skating) style in their (chinese) pairs. We (in russia) do not have our own Lori Nichol. Maybe some day there will be such a person. We don't have, in general/overall, such choreographers, who would work (with skaters) constantly, come to the rink all the time and stand by the boards the whole time, and really we don't have that much money to pay such a person.

- А если говорить про китайцев? Как их догонять - делать сложнее элементы, исправлять что-то в психологии?

- У китайцев есть оружие, которое некому у нас переплюнуть, к сожалению. Это хореограф Лори Николь. Она ставит фантастические программы, прививает их парам абсолютно не китайское катание. У нас своей Лори Николь нет. Может, когда-нибудь и найдется такой человек. Ну нет у нас таких хореографов, чтобы человек постоянно работал, приезжал и стоял у борта, и денег у нас столько нет, чтобы платить ему.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Another world record, according to the Russian news, and a video... :lol:

A 6-year old figure skater, Polina Sazhena completes a 4S, on the ice, with safe-guard.. :summer:

(translation of what she says): I want to keep repeating it (make it solid) and later include it in my programme. So that i can win gold at the olympics. I want to thank my coach for teaching me. I did not know i can do it.
Her coaches are Ksenia Ivanova and Alexei Vasilevsky.

Polina's other skating.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

I love Efimova/Korovin, but she can’t jump and he can’t lift. It’s not just one or the other. However, if she paired up with a guy who could lift and he paired up with a girl who could jump, they might both improve their standings a bit. It’s just frustrating because I find them to be one of the more engaging Russian pairs right now.

zebraswan

I don't think Lori Nichol does good work for everyone (I don't even like all of S/H's programs). I actually hate a lot of her choreo for those skaters who obviously don't inspire her. So there is no guarantee she would make anything great for Russian pairs. Anyway, I like Russian pairs the most because I love the Russian style, not North American. There have been plenty of well choreographed Russian pair programs...just look at S/K, K/S, A/R in recent times. Maybe not for T/M but I don't think that can all be the fault of the choreographer, when they've tried so many (and not all Russian) and nobody seems to know what to do with them.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I don’t think the Russian Fed is willing to pay Nichol’s $20k fee. Tchernyshev charges $5k and doesn’t require travel to Morth America. Sounds mostly like economic reasons.

Also, I agree that her work is very hit and miss. Paying $20k and possibly getting a dud is a big risk. Better to pay $5k for a probable dud.

ChiquitaBanana

I don't think Lori Nichol does good work for everyone (I don't even like all of S/H's programs). I actually hate a lot of her choreo for those skaters who obviously don't inspire her. So there is no guarantee she would make anything great for Russian pairs. Anyway, I like Russian pairs the most because I love the Russian style, not North American. There have been plenty of well choreographed Russian pair programs...just look at S/K, K/S, A/R in recent times. Maybe not for T/M but I don't think that can all be the fault of the choreographer, when they've tried so many (and not all Russian) and nobody seems to know what to do with them.

Sui/Han’s lp is a masterpiece. I could rewatch it over and over...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I wonder if T&M should try Matveev? He did good work for B&S. If he is in Tamara’s group he may not want to help T&M though (if B&K are working with him).

I do believe that Marina will figure out the right choreography for T&M. Give her time. I love the Russian style of pairs skating. I hope they will stick with it. Whenever they tried to deviate from it, it was a disaster, like Candyman, and a few others.

Mad for Skating

I don’t think the Russian Fed is willing to pay Nichol’s $20k fee. Tchernyshev charges $5k and doesn’t require travel to Morth America. Sounds mostly like economic reasons.

Also, I agree that her work is very hit and miss. Paying $20k and possibly getting a dud is a big risk. Better to pay $5k for a probable dud.

Yeah, but paying $5k for Candyman isn’t a great investment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information