Survivor S39: Island of the Idols

BaileyCatts

I still don't get why Noura was the only one who voted for Jack (well, Dean did but that one I get :lol: ). I mean why did everyone vote for Dean because wouldn't they have agreed to split the vote 'just in case' the others thought Dean might have had an Idol? And why did Jamal give his Idol to Noura? She wasn't even a target? All these years watching and I still don't get this game. :rofl:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I still don't get why Noura was the only one who voted for Jack (well, Dean did but that one I get :lol: ). I mean why did everyone vote for Dean because wouldn't they have agreed to split the vote 'just in case' the others thought Dean might have had an Idol? And why did Jamal give his Idol to Noura? She wasn't even a target? All these years watching and I still don't get this game. :rofl:

They were convinced Dean didn’t have an idol because he didn’t play one when Tom got voted out, and none of them knew which way the vote was going. Kellee had it all thought out for sure. And she also wants Dean on her side but that’s coming from different tribes and it has to be hush-hush, hence why she still voted for Dean knowing it wouldn’t matter.

I (and Jenny) really think Jamal’s move was just to show how good of a person he is post-game. It made no sense.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Thinking also that Kellee and Dean might be particularly concerned about anyone knowing they are working together (at least for now :lol:). They have a connection - they realized they know some of the same people - but perhaps they are hiding that, given that Dean must see that one of the reasons Chelsea got voted out was because he was getting too close to her. Remember he was on a mission to figure out what happened, and he might have also concluded that the only thing that saved him was the need to win challenges, which, since they all think merge is imminent, will now work against him.

As for voting out Jack, which at first surprised me, is this the remnants of the former Vokai taking down the Molly-Jack-Jamal alliance? For us it's been months, but for them, only two weeks since that tribe saw the need to topple the people with the power.

Which again brings me to Jamal. Assuming his idol was regular one, he should have kept it. But then again, he didn't know Jack was going, thought it was Dean, maybe thought he was back on top with everyone listening to his wise words about racism and gender politics, so he impulsively kept going with it by giving his idol in a fashion he thought would have further impact (to a woman, to an oddball outsider).

Jenny

From the Bloc
If this is true, I can't wait to see
Yul and Ethan

Here's a list of all the winners - with pictures, very helpful, because I certainly don't remember all these people, even for the seasons I watched!

I'm glad to see Tyson there, really liked his gameplay, and thankful not to see the worst winner ever Vecepia. Very disappointed not to see JT though - he was a great player, loved him! Kim and Sarah were both good, and really, this wouldn't be a show if Parvati wasn't there :drama:. And we all know Brian has no intention of ever getting involved in this again, but he was a great player and it would be fun to see him, and some of the other early winners, have to dust off their skills all these years later against many winners who are much younger and more adept at how the game has evolved.

ooo here's an idea - instead of the regular way they do the jury, how insane would it be if the jury was made up of all the other winners! And not looking like they were slumming it like Rob and Sandra, but all dressed and fabulous in their resort best, with segments where we get to see them snarking over umbrella drinks about the people actually playing :rollin:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I don't get why Jack was so ecstatic about "making the jury"; I thought pre-merge contestants don't make it to the jury?

jamesy

delightful
I don't get why Jack was so ecstatic about "making the jury"; I thought pre-merge contestants don't make it to the jury?
Jeff specifically said “first member of the jury” when he finished reading the vote. I don’t think Jack was expecting it (cause you’re right, pre-merge doesn’t typically make jury), so his excitement for that makes sense.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Thanks, I was half paying attention after having worked that night, so missed that!

smurfy

If that list for the next Season is true, I only remember 5 of them. :shuffle:

Lol
I have watched probably every episode.
I remember the earlier folks - some of the more recent - not much.

This past week- interesting episode. Before TC - it seemed almost predictable and it played out how Kelly said - but that was an entertaining TC. I love how the lesson this week with Rob and Sandra was about thinking forward and that is what Kelly did.
If Dean keeps his mouth shut about where he got the idol - and Kelly & Dean keep their relationship secret - that will be fun to see it play out. If they both make the final 2 or 3? - Kelley can just say - Dean is only here because of me. Nora did wonder why he didn't play the idol last week - Dean should just say he just found it since the previous TC.

So looks like the merge next week. Maybe I will finally be able to keep straight who everyone is.

Rogue

Sexy Superhero
And why did Jamal give his Idol to Noura? She wasn't even a target?

Until Kelly told him otherwise, Dean thought he was in and Noura was out. So Jamal naturally thought that Dean was voting for Noura because that was the "plan."

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Until Kelly told him otherwise, Dean thought he was in and Noura was out. So Jamal naturally thought that Dean was voting for Noura because that was the "plan."

That's what I thought, too--he was trying to keep his numbers and assumed Dean would vote for Noura.

tony

Well, I take it all back about Noura playing the part so well. So far ;)

DreamSkates

I'm glad the producers intervened and talked with everyone about boundaries, and spoke directly to Dan. They should have done that sooner.

tony

I have a feeling this episode is probably going to get a ton of backlash. The girls were all stressing how uncomfortable they were, Jamal pushed getting rid of Dan, and Janet felt sensitive over the situation and wanted to do something about it. Then they all pretend that it isn't that severe, or make comments that basically add up to 'in the game it's not important enough for me to get rid of him'.

Dan was talked to by producers, which is really unprecedented (even showing us clips with the producers/camera crew in the background, which I only remember one other time-- at a reunion show to prove a point that a contestant did say something), and he should absolutely know that Janet wasn't lying to him. I mean there's still 45 minutes left in this episode and maybe it will come out that he does trust her, but I'm just baffled.

The only thing I can think of is this entire thing is context for something that's going to happen in a future episode, and that would either be him showing some kind of signs of this again or maybe him making the finals and then having all of this blown up in his face? I really am confused by all of it.

Totally team Janet now. And I can't believe Kellee went home with two idols after she sensed she was in danger. The second Missy looked right towards her when Jeff asked if anyone had an idol, I would've been on my feet throwing one at Jeff.

Last edited:

tony

Now we know the context. Both Dan and Aaron can go. Aaron thinks he knows everything and the amount of eye-rolling he's given to Janet/the situation is ridiculous. I hope he feels incredibly stupid watching this episode tonight.

ETA- anyone else sense how guilty Missy felt during tribal? I feel like we are going to get a big apology from her coming up.

The girls REALLY should be able to run away with the game at this point, but we'll see..

Last edited:

Susan1

They even had a warning at the beginning of the episode.

But yeah, I kept thinking is this how they would be in real life - complain to your girlfriends but when confronted, say it was no big deal. It sets metoo back 10 years.

Was Missy so afraid of being voted out for speaking up? She should have apologized to Janet in front of Jeff and everyone and on camera.

While they were running around whispering, I was thinking why didn't all of the women go to Dan in a group and tell him how they felt. I guess they needed the drama for the voting meeting.

Poor Janet!!!!! How can she trust anybody now.
And I can't believe Kellee went home with two idols after she sensed she was in danger.
I kept saying "play it, play it" to the t.v. :)

Last edited:

DreamSkates

I will add that Jamal had the courage and wisdom to speak those words that needed to be said so clearly as he did. But they still voted him off. Is it "just a game" after all? Not IF the women truly felt uncomfortable. I don't think it is worth giving in to stay with their alliances, who are men (including the eye roller).

Jenny

From the Bloc
I struggled with this episode. Of course I want to support victims, and I also want to give the accused a chance to tell their story. I thought the "evidence" was minimal - maybe only one incident where I could see something I thought was starting to cross a line - but of course it's what people were feeling that matters, including Dan in terms of his intent. What's also important is the extent to which a) Dan asked permission when it came to things like snuggling at night (which happens with the most unlikely bedmates every season due to the conditions) and b) the women told him when they felt he'd gone too far (like touching their hair).

So we didn't see much of that at all. What we did see is a lot of talk among the women, not with any of the men including Jamal who has made it clear that he's an advocate for women and for doing right in general, and not with Dan. And we saw some of the women go along with it for gameplay reasons. Although even that, with editing, who knows what her thought process was, and how many conversations we missed.

I'm also struck that Kellee broke down on her solo interview, the same Kellee who gave us some of the best Survivor tv ever in thinking through her strategy live (or was it?) in a solo interview. And who was a very good player - could have been one of the best - until she believed (why?) that she was not a target, to the point where she didn't do the smart thing and give up one of her idols knowing she had a backup for later in the game.

I feel for Janet, in many ways I think she was the only one being genuine and without any other agenda throughout this whole thing.

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
But there's something else, and I think it's important. The producers, after taking initial action while it was happening, had months to sort this out, and no doubt hundreds of hours of footage to work with.

So the question is, what happened, and what do they want us to think happened? This is after all CBS, the network of Les Moonves and Charlie Rose. And this is the show produced by the same man, Mark Burnett, who worked very closely with Donald Trump for many years. It's also the network that's had a ton of controversy associated with one of its other long running programs, Big Brother.

And Survivor is also a show where the contestants are made to (albeit agree to) spend all their time in their underwear.

As Tony pointed out, we never see the production crew, but now suddenly we do. How is it they were even filming each other? On purpose I'm sure, so that we all saw clearly that there are checks and balances. And they had meetings with everyone - although notably did not give Dan any camera time to explain himself before that, while the accusations were flying. And they made a point of telling us in a very serious fashion the actions they took, in writing.

And the network gave them two hour timeslot to do it, so that they could continue the story over what was otherwise two episodes.

What does it all mean? I don't know. But I think there's more to this story that one man getting inappropriately handsy with one, two or five women.

And finally, in the end, of all the choices in this, it's Kellee and Jamal who are gone, and while Dan got a lot of votes, Karishma and Janet also did. Wow.

Last edited:

smurfy

I am still trying to figure out what happened. I watched it on my DVR - started at 11pm - so was tired.
I am going to watch again. Glad they did a 2 hour show - would have been even harder to know what was going on otherwise.
I agree with what was posted - that this is part of the something in the future and lots happened we didn't see and hopefully it will all make sense by the end.

I believe Janet meant what she said it was not game - she was trying to do something right.
The girls - I am not sure if I am rooting for them or not? I have liked them and they all seem smart and playing, but if they used this for gameplay - not right.
In TC -Dan either is innocent or totally clueless that he did anything - IMHO.

There is something with Lauren and Missy that I like - they both are strong players but from different tribes.
Jamal - interesting guy - liked what he said at the second TC - but just did not fit in.
Krishna needs to be gone.

We shall see.

smurfy

Oh - forgot - wish Dean had given Kellee heads up. Or did he and they didnt show it.

BaileyCatts

How could Kelle be so stupid with 2 freaking Idols in her pocket and she knew she was not on the right side of the numbers! Unless I was counting wrong, they still did not have enough votes to get rid of Dan. I would have played one regardless of all the "I trust you" crap going on, and the "you are safe" comment from (was it) Missy right freaking there at Tribal? That right there would have told me she was lying and play one of those damn Idols. I still don't get this game but even I know you cannot trust what anyone tells you in this game! They all want to beat you for a freaking million dollars! If you have an Idol, especially 2 Idols, and you are stressing and questioning if you should play it ….. then play the damn thing!

And what exactly does Dan do for a living? His comments at Tribal were so strange.

tony

How could Kelle be so stupid with 2 freaking Idols in her pocket and she knew she was not on the right side of the numbers! Unless I was counting wrong, they still did not have enough votes to get rid of Dan. I would have played one regardless of all the "I trust you" crap going on, and the "you are safe" comment from (was it) Missy right freaking there at Tribal? That right there would have told me she was lying and play one of those damn Idols.

I believe the whole thing is that Kellee thought Lauren and Dean at the least were on her side, and that would’ve been enough. She probably thought she had one or two of the other girls, too (Missy after their long talk and Elizabeth by association), but Missy’s hard questioning of her during council would’ve sent me signals along with the look directly to her before the votes were read, as I mentioned earlier. To clarify one point though, she asked Lauren during the voting if she was okay- it wasn’t a random comment to her.

They should’ve showed more of Dean and his confessional on why he thought it better to go against her after she had just saved him.

Also, re: @Jenny and your thoughts, pretty much all of the friends I have that are still hardcore fans suspect there is more to this story and we had to get this long context out of the way first. I think everyone in general is confused by the episode. And I think because Jeff went in so hard on Dan (and they showed it all), could it be that the situation comes up yet again sometime soon?

Dan is a talent manager, representing several actors/actresses.

ETA final thought- how dumb can this group really be to go after Karishma, though? She’s going to do whatever everyone else wants until the end of the game and I’m still not sure that she knows even half of what’s going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information