2019/20 ISU Grand Prix Assignments & Alternates thread

Dobre

Without any offense intended who the hell is Yujin Choi and why is she getting picked over Kim?

I hope nothing is wrong with Yelim. (We just saw her so I will cross my fingers for NHK though I think Japan has skipped her once already).

Yujin Choi was 10th at Korean Nationals last year and 6th & 7th at Nepela and Finlandia last season. Per hairbobo's list in post #382, neither she nor Glenn were on the alternate list as of that post, but both were among the next 3 in line. Anyway, as it is a situation of athletes pulling out late, we are fortunate the spots will be filled. It is pretty common for late invites to be assigned to athletes that live nearby.

Of course, it is possible a Chinese lady could defeat Choi, but it sure did seem like an ideal opportunity for Yelim to receive an invite:cry:. Both she & Glenn have comparable, strong SB scores from this season relative to the ladies on the alternate list. And the fact that China invited Glenn & You implies that they were open to inviting higher-scoring athletes. I am happy for Amber.

oleada

Yeah, I think Glenn definitely deserved an invite, but I wish Kim had gotten to go instead as she's had very strong results for the past two years.

analia

Most likely Glenn and Choi are the only two who have Chinese visa in hand. Takes a few days to get a visa and that's when you live close to a consulate.

seabm7

We might be reaching the part of the season where this becomes unnecessary, but here is our updated ladies alternate list...

24 KOR Yelim KIM (SC)
39 ITA Marina PIREDDA (none)
42 AZE Ekaterina RYABOVA (RC)
45 USA Courtney HICKS (none)
56 FIN Emmi PELTONEN (RC)
58 GER Nicole SCHOTT (IdF)
60 USA Megan WESSENBERG (NHK)
61 SVK Nicole RAJICOVA (none)
62 AUS Kailani CRAINE (CoC)
63 CZE Eliska BREZINOVA (none)
Next 3- A Glenn, YK Yamada, Y Choi

Was Glenn really out of the waiting list? I thought of several possibilities.

• Craine already got a CoC ticket. Doesn't that mean we have to skip her name when counting the waiting list for CoC?
  • Piredda was included in a JGP sub list. Is she still eligible for GP?
  • Had Rajicova decided to skip GP? Though she did not tell anything about her plan for this season yet.

When Glenn got two tickets (SA and CoC), she was removed from the list. The waiting list will be open for next people, such as Yamada and Choi.

Last edited:

Dobre

Haven't the foggiest about Rajicova. (There is always the possibility that someone has come off the list that we do not know about).

• Craine already got a CoC ticket. Doesn't that mean we have to skip her name when counting the waiting list for CoC?

My understanding is that the pool of 10 remains the pool of 10 until someone is truly removed from the list. (That this was a change when the alternate list was expanded from 5 to 10).

ETA: Or someone may win a Challenger and go into the pool.

• Piredda was included in a JGP sub list. Is she still eligible for GP?

Feel like we had an athlete that pulled out of the JGP make the GP at some point in the past, but I could be remembering wrong.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Haven't the foggiest about Rajicova. (There is always the possibility that someone has come off the list that we do not know about).

My understanding is that the pool of 10 remains the pool of 10 until someone is truly removed from the list. (That this was a change when the alternate list was expanded from 5 to 10).

Feel like we had an athlete that pulled out of the JGP make the GP at some point in the past, but I could be remembering wrong.
I don't think that having been a JGP alternate disqualifies you (though I'm not certain), but if the plan was that she skate the JGP from the beginning, the federation may not have submitted her for the GP. In which case, I don't think she would be on the replacement list.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Yea I really tend to think that Piredda, Hicks, and Rajicova aren't even on that list... in which case the top 10 would be-

Y Kim, Ryabova, Peltonen, Schott, Wessenberg, Craine, Brezinova?, (was Glenn), Yamada?, Y Choi, Hanul Kim
Next 2- P Sorensen, D Grm (75th on SB list)

J

Jeschke

Any word if Lecavelier will be ready for GP RUS? Only 2weeks away and she just wd from GP FRA due to injury.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

J

Jeschke

There is only one possible replacement (a lot of people always waited for) for NHK: Leonova!
And ISU better gets its shit together (#ttw has shown how it's done), bends its own rules and make that happen! :D
#perkovarule

seabm7

Most likely Glenn and Choi are the only two who have Chinese visa in hand. Takes a few days to get a visa and that's when you live close to a consulate.

Kim lives and trains in Seoul. Of course there is a Chinese consulate in the city. Choi attends a college at Sejong City, which is three hours away from the said Chinese consulate. One needs an inter-city bus or a train to go to the center of Seoul from Sejong City.

Even though Korean fans are happy for Choi, they feel sad for Kim.

Last edited:

analia

Kim lives and trains in Seoul. Of course there is a Chinese consulate in the city. Choi attends a college at Sejong City, which is three hours away from the said Chinese consulate. One needs an inter-city bus or a train to go to the center of Seoul from Sejong City.

Even though Korean fans are happy for Choi, they feel sad for Kim.

Choi might already have a visa was my point. Tourism, business, all the same. It lasts many years normally. And I thought Yelim Lim trains in Colorado. I guess that's not true anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information