The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollymgr

That's stretching it quite a bit. That could be said about most songs which are romantic in nature. To find a piece of music that fits the criteria of the prescribed rhythm and theme is no easy task, especially with the Finnstep. I looked through several of the other teams choices and if I had to pick any of the music for them based on all the concern about the age difference and her being a minor, she might as well take two years off.:rolleyes:
Music choices aren't the cause of abuse in skating.

Khaleesi

The age difference gets brought up because she is a minor, and that just is inherently an issue that Wheaton should be aware of when designing their programs.

It really should not have been hard to come up with an RD for them that wasn't built around a pun about them having sex. That's a low bar.
How old is she?

laviemn

That's stretching it quite a bit. That could be said about most songs which are romantic in nature. To find a piece of music that fits the criteria of the prescribed rhythm and theme is no easy task, especially with the Finnstep. I looked through several of the other teams choices and if I had to pick any of the music for them based on all the concern about the age difference and her being a minor, she might as well take two years off.:rolleyes:

Who said music choices are the cause of abuse in skating? No one.

I said that I think fans, not all but at least some, are looking at the sport with a different perpective because certain issues have been brought to the forefront in the last few years. And it affects how we react to certain programs and partnerships.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Without even stopping to think about it, I could name a dozen show tunes that would have no creepy references and would make good SDs.

And no one is saying that they could be condemned or shamed or boycotted. Just that they and their team should think about these things a little more carefully.

Dobre

The age difference gets brought up because she is a minor, and that just is inherently an issue that Wheaton should be aware of when designing their programs.

It really should not have been hard to come up with an RD for them that wasn't built around a pun about them having sex. That's a low bar.

1. I don't assume that idioms are puns, much less sexual ones. I very much doubt her mother does.

2. I assume her coaches are not native English speakers so why would they make this assumption?

3. Can we really not think of any minors skating to programs that could be referred to as sexual puns or inappropriate for the athletes' age? Big Spender is one of the most common RD songs in the junior ranks this season. For goodness sake, "All That Jazz," "I Can Hear the Bells," Moulin Rouge, Cabaret . . . a LOT of pieces of music can be interpreted as being about sex. And the odds are pretty good that some of these teams are composed of minors & nonminors considering the junior age range.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

1. I don't assume that idioms are puns, much less sexual ones. I very much doubt her mother does.

2. I assume her coaches are not native English speakers so why would they make this assumption?

3. Can we really not think of any minors skating to programs that could be referred to as sexual puns or inappropriate for the athletes' age? Big Spender is one of the most common RD songs in the junior ranks this season. For goodness sake, "All That Jazz," "I Can Hear the Bells," Moulin Rouge, Cabaret . . . a LOT of pieces of music can be interpreted as being about sex. And the odds are pretty good that some of these teams are composed of minors & nonminors considering the junior age range.
1-2. If their team doesn't understand the song (which I very much doubt), that doesn't change that the program is a bad choice.

3. I certainly never said that there aren't minors skating to inappropriate songs. We've had those discussions on this forum (and elsewhere) before in many instances. The fact that others do it as well doesn't mean it's not an issue for Green/Parsons.

twinklestar

Green/Parsons doesn't look like a pedophile couple. There is one junior couple, the first time I saw them, I thought "oh wow they look like a pedo couple".

muffinplus

Roman Kostomarov is so disgusting...just read that Papadakis and Cizeron's "gay" skating isn't his cup of tea because Cizeron isn't manly enough and there is no "gender role" division... Such embarrassing comments. How did he ever win an Olympics? :blah: He wishes he could have an ounce of Cizeron's dance ability....

Bigbird

Roman Kostomarov is so disgusting...just read that Papadakis and Cizeron's "gay" skating isn't his cup of tea because Cizeron isn't manly enough and there is no "gender role" division... Such embarrassing comments. How did he ever win an Olympics? :blah: He wishes he could have an ounce of Cizeron's dance ability....

:rofl::violin: And consider the timing just before P/C are to skate at their first GP assignment. The Russian establishment and the word classy have no association one with the other. The upcoming ice dance championships will be won on ice, let them talk and if there be any illegal back door dealings let them be caught.

Bigbird

The whole "ice dance should have clearly gendered roles" thing is not new... it's such an limited and narrow minded way of seeing what dance is? Statements like this usually reveal people with pea-sized intellect

It doesn't prevent so many persons from perceiving the beauty of Guillame and Gabriella. And if their style were so offensive why does Katsalapov try so earnestly to copy everything Guillame does? His comments are unfortunate and ill-timed and they will be seen for the empty dreck that they are. So, as I said let him talk, let them all talk, these two will take it and become stronger as a result.

Bigbird

Kostomarov's reputation was already trash everywhere but Russia. He's an alcoholic who used to hit his former partner Samenovich.
Well that puts that in perspective. There were also reports that he was less than gentlemanly with Navka, but for the sake of sport they say we put up with all things. The nerve of this troll.....

kittysk8ts

What a rude and unnecessary thing to say. Also completely untrue. Jealousy!

twinklestar

P/C flamenco wasn't at all gay, nor their Mozart. After that, they've been doing more non-gender stuff dancing(abstract, intellectual... and tbh it's starting to be quite boring, before they were doing more sexy stuff), plus some people talked about Cizeron's private life, then there was V/M trying to fake a love story though we don't really know Moir's real sexual life but he was smart enough to keep it a secret. I don't think the Fame RD will help them with the "gay dancing" comments. The thing is that Montréal is a very LGBT town, so it probably influences P/C. Russia is more traditional old school. Kostomarov's opinion is not something "special" in Russia.

Last edited:

Bigbird

P/C flamenco wasn't at all gay, nor their Mozart. After that, they've been doing more non-gender stuff dancing, plus some people talked about Cizeron's private life, then there was V/M trying to fake a love story though we don't really know Moir's real sexual life but he was smart enough to keep it a secret. I don't think the Fame RD will help them with the "gay dancing" comments. The thing is that Montréal is a very LGBT town, so it probably influences P/C.

Why are we even having this discussion? Kostamarov, is just a troll looking for attention. Ignore him already.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
As far as I'm concerned, any skating program that could be described as gay or queer or gender-nonconforming is one that I strongly support: Bobrova/Soloviev's sailor OD, Adam Rippon's fierce vogue steering wheel SP, Fear/Gibson's FD as well as last year's . . . to name a few examples that aren't Papadakis/Cizeron. (And parodies of heterosexuality are also great.)

Make Skating Queerer!!!

barbarafan

P/C flamenco wasn't at all gay, nor their Mozart. After that, they've been doing more non-gender stuff dancing(abstract, intellectual... and tbh it's starting to be quite boring, before they were doing more sexy stuff), plus some people talked about Cizeron's private life, then there was V/M trying to fake a love story though we don't really know Moir's real sexual life but he was smart enough to keep it a secret. I don't think the Fame RD will help them with the "gay dancing" comments. The thing is that Montréal is a very LGBT town, so it probably influences P/C. Russia is more traditional old school. Kostomarov's opinion is not something "special" in Russia.
I will wait to make any comments on their programs until I see them. P/C are the most artistic and beautiful skaters competing at this time and this garbage is spoken out of jealousy, insecurity and fear. Perhaps he forgets that worlds are in Mtl and the crowd will be judging the moves on the ice ...not the gimicks and nonsense of other's insecurities.
On another note...I hope Katsalapov comes to Mtl with his behavior in check as if he starts smacking his partner around or cutting up his competitors legs he will be spending his free skate in a Mtl jail.

twinklestar

P/C’s FD last year was very Herero in nature.

I guess Kostamorov was asleep then?:rolleyes:

In any case, yes, he is jealous.

He only wishes he was 1/2 as good as Guilliame and he knows he will never be as fabulous no matter how hard he tries.
No, it wasn't heterosexual, sorry. It was more like a poem or a dream.

I forgot the last RDs(sexy Tango and samba), they weren't gay at all, but I suppose Kostomarov is talking about the last FDs. What he calls "gay" is the abstract, intellectual, non-sexual FDs they've been doing since "Build a home".

I don't think he is jealous, it's not like he never was able to get first place.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
As far as I'm concerned, any skating program that could be described as gay or queer or gender-nonconforming is one that I strongly support: Bobrova/Soloviev's sailor OD, Adam Rippon's fierce vogue steering wheel SP, Fear/Gibson's FD as well as last year's . . . to name a few examples that aren't Papadakis/Cizeron. (And parodies of heterosexuality are also great.)

Make Skating Queerer!!!
If you can of course overcome your dislike of slam :p , you're in for a treat because from the few photos of FD practice at IdF, Guillaume just ransacked Rippon's see-through collection. And to add to your message, I just love gender bending programs, bring them on.

skategal

Bunny mama
No, it wasn't heterosexual, sorry. It was more like a poem or a dream.

I forgot the last RDs(sexy Tango and samba), they weren't gay at all, but I suppose Kostomarov is talking about the last FDs. What he calls "gay" is the abstract, intellectual, non-sexual FDs they've been doing since "Build a home".

I don't think he is jealous, it's not like he never was able to get first place.

Their FD last year was a duet by a man and a woman calling each other Lover and lamenting that they can’t be “together” as soon as they want to.

Not sure you can get anymore hereto than that???

And it was sexy as hell.:swoon:

Not sure what Kostamorov is talking about except he is an idiot. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information