U.S. Men 2019-20 season - news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
On Ice Perspectives filmed Jason Brown's Schindler List (first 2 parts were uploaded in August):
Part 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1T6T1DHC-a/
Part 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Wqbq1HO20/
Part 3 (just shared by Jason today): https://www.instagram.com/p/B3RsEgLHrvg/

ETA:
"Schindler's List is a piece of music I've always wanted to skate to. I'm really excited that I'm doing it this year and it's very powerful, emotional, strong and captivating, but also dark, and I just really hope to pull the audience in and take them on a bit of an emotional journey. I love that program and I'm just so eager to get out in front of an audience."
[Source is this pre-Skate America article]

Last edited:

mtnskater

Nathan must have learned a backflip over the summer. I’ve never seen him do that move before. He did a beauty in the exhibition after the Japan Open. One of the best backflips I’ve seen ⭐

jlai

Question everything
Nathan must have learned a backflip over the summer. I’ve never seen him do that move before. He did a beauty in the exhibition after the Japan Open. One of the best backflips I’ve seen ⭐
Yes, there were clips of him learning and doing it in the summer.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR MEN

Vincent Zhou (231 US Intl)
Alexei Krasnozhon (230 US Intl) 208 Detroit
Jimmy Ma 219 Detroit E (200 US Intl)
Camden Pulkinen (216 Autumn Classic) 186 Philadelphia M
Tomoki Hiwatashi (214 US Intl)
Yaroslav Paniot 213 Golden West P
Andrew Torgashev 212 Philadelphia (196.23 @ JGP)
Ryan Dunk 209 Glacier Falls (205.90 @ JGP)
Sean Rabbitt 205 Golden West P
Dinh Tran 197 Detroit P (175.23 @ JGP)
Joonsoo Kim 192 Collegiate P
Sebastien Payannet 189 Golden West P
Daniel Kulenkamp 181 Golden West P
William Hubbart 175 SA Regional E

TBD: Nathan Chen (Skate America), Jason Brown (recovering injury)

Everyone scoring over 190 total from 2019 Nationals achieved the 92 TES, so Kulenkamp and Hubbart aren't out of the woods yet even if they manage top 4 in their section.

JUNIOR

Ilia Malinin (203 JGP) 201.84 Philadelphia E (intl)
Maxim Naumov 192.78 Cranberry E (179.15 @ JGP)
Matthew Nielsen (186.71 @ JGP) 184.87 SLC Challenge M
Eric Sjoberg 183.91 Glacier Falls P (153.26 @ JGP)
Lucas Altieri 183.02 SLC Challenge E
Joseph Klein (182.88 @ JGP) /165.48 SLC Challenge M
Liam Kapeikis 180.96 Seattle Ice Fest P (162.33 @ JGP)
Nicholas Hsieh 174.09 Skate Wilmington E
Goku Endo 170.48 Glacier Falls P

Joseph Kang 170.26 SA Regionals E
Daniel Martynov 170.16 Southport (Novice) M
William Annis (167.54 @ JGP) 162.75 Cranberry E
Daniel Argueta 157.57 Detroit M
Daniel Turchin 152.16 SLC Challenge M
Eric Prober 152.10 Philadelphia E

Bold = top 4 per section

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re. the Senior list of scores above: Ukraine's Yaroslav Paniot (scored 213.80 at Golden West) is listed for SWP Regionals in Senior Men so he must have received permission to compete from USFS.

Re. the Junior list: Even though Lucas Broussard qualified for the ISP with a Novice level score, he did not test up to Novice this season (this is what I posted in the U.S. Regional thread in Kiss & Cry about him):
Lucas Broussard won [NWP] Intermediate Men with an impressive total score of 165.09 (56.41 in SP, 108.68 in FS). His FS jumps all received + GOEs: 3S+3T, 3Lz, 2A+3T, 3Lo, 3F+2T, 3S (received 8 bonus points for his 7 triples and one 2A). He was invited to compete in the Novice Challenge Skate in Salt Lake City last month and won that event (his NWP free skate was a cleaner performance so I'm looking forward to seeing the Fan Zone video).
Andrew Torgashev and Ryan Dunk have been assigned to the Asian Open Trophy in early November which should give them both a bye through their respective Sectionals (this will be Dunk's Challenger Series debut; he already made his senior international debut this past spring at Challenge Cup in The Hague).

Jimmy Ma competes in his first senior international outside the USA at Finlandia Trophy this week.

P.S. @mtnskater, Nathan learned the back flip in Sun Valley when he was there for a show in August. Pro skater Ashley Clark taught him in the indoor rink and then he did one unassisted on the outdoor rink (scroll down to view her Instagram story clips): https://twitter.com/aboutNathan0505/status/1160614772963856385

Firedancer

aftershocks

Banned Member
It appears that Adam's appeal and fame far surpasses the figure skating world by this point. And there's not huge amounts of money or activity happening for pro skaters. He obviously has his sights set on other goals and realms beyond skating, while also not completely forgetting his athletic career origins.

Adam's success beyond skating has been stratospheric. He's been offered multiple opportunities, which has positioned him in ways that has taken him in unique directions and on a busy path involving new friendships. That's not unusual. Sadly, Adam and Ashley were never able to share going to the Olympics together, as they had likely hoped. In 2014, Adam was odd-man out, and he faced some serious soul-searching regarding how to move forward. He ended up coming back stronger and more determined.

In 2018, Ashley was odd-woman out, facing the end of her competitive career with all the soul searching that entails. For Ashley, her period of self-reflection and coming back more determined happened in 2010. But Gracie Gold's career trajectory coincided with Ashley's, which complicated how Ashley's accomplishments have been viewed, since Gracie was seen as having more talent.

In any case, both Ash and Adam have similar career trajectories, but his public success was greater post his Olympics. Ash was there for Adam when he was down, but he couldn't be there in the same way for her post 2018 Olympics, as she seemingly had been there for him in 2014. This is based purely on my observations, and on comments they have made.

ETA:
The article didn't go into detail about their relationship. It just used past tense in mentioning they 'were' very close. They both said some months ago that they had a chance to talk and work through their different emotions and circumstances that have impacted their friendship.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Adam's publisher should have scheduled a book signing in Vegas during SA. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Perhaps USFSA deliberately nixed that as Adam might have drawn a tremendous amount of attention from the competing skaters. In addition, Adam lives in Las Vegas which really would have made this a no-brainer.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

eurodance2001

Jimmy Ma finished 4th overall & 2nd in the FS today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Ug7QymyC8
Pasquale Camerlengo choreographed his "Blues for Klook" FS.

ETA that both his 147.01 FS and 213.49 total scores are new ISU personal bests for him.

Camerlengo involved explains why I felt I was watching a Takahashi rip off... dont get me wrong, I like Jimmy and he did well but.. quite a few parts of the program are exactly from Daisuke’s as well as music cuts almost exactly the same.. watch the last minute to minute and a half especially with the placement of the lutz, exact same entrance into the flip, pause at the end of the rink for the footwork sequence right into the end spin...

that said, Jimmy has the attitude and spark to make this special and his own.. I hope as the comfort level with the program increases, he is able to do so.

olympic

LOL that he fell on his easiest jumping pass. He would've scored above 150 in the LP w/o that fall

Tavi

In most recent Ice Talk, Nick and Jackie recap Finlandia, preview Skate America, and end with a 20 minute interview of Jason Brown - among other things, Jason talks about his new programs and his car accident / concussion.

Sylvia

TBD
You can listen to "Ice Talk" podcast directly from this link:
Jason's interview starts around the 32 minute mark. He said he withdrew from Nebelhorn Trophy last month because he "couldn't spin without getting sick" and has been running his programs in practice for the past 2 weeks and doesn't have concussion symptoms anymore.

Preview clip of Jason's SP:
ETA that the same video is also on YT:

Last edited:

Fiero425

On Ice Perspectives filmed Jason Brown's Schindler List (first 2 parts were uploaded in August):
Part 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1T6T1DHC-a/
Part 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Wqbq1HO20/
Part 3 (just shared by Jason today): https://www.instagram.com/p/B3RsEgLHrvg/

ETA:

[Source is this pre-Skate America article]

I look forward to it one of these days! It'll be hard to outdo the one time Irina Slutskaya worked a program without dependence on jumping! She performed a version of Schindler's list from maybe '99-2001 using the music at exhibitions and minor competitions that limited jumps like "The Masters" and The Japan Open! :barrel

- - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3judUdDuE4 - -

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Update from regionals- qualifying total min score for Nationals is 92...

Sebastien Payannet (67.90 in FS+ 36.52 in SP, total 104.42) made it from SWPac.

Emmanuel Savary (49.40 in FS+ 43.30 in SP, total 92.70) just makes it from Southwestern Regionals.

So far no other men from the senior regionals comps have attained the 92 total.

skateboy

I look forward to it one of these days! It'll be hard to outdo the one time Irina Slutskaya worked a program without dependence on jumping! She performed a version of Schindler's list from maybe '99-2001 using the music at exhibitions and minor competitions that limited jumps like "The Masters" and The Japan Open! :barrel

- - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3judUdDuE4 - -
I don't believe I've ever seen this from Irina. What a spellbindingly heartfelt, beautiful program! Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information