Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavi

The Skating Lesson will have to tone down its own "cheese." Only so many copyright strikes on YouTube before a channel is shut down.

Except that TSL rarely includes video footage in their recaps so they’re unlikely to get shut down for copyright violation.

What they posted here was an excellent quality fancam of Gracie’s SP, and I’m sorry it’s down because it was much better than the ones I saw on Twitter.

To be honest since this was a fancam, not NBC footage, I’m not even sure NBC was within their rights to block it.

Last edited:

natsulian

Bradie adding arms over the head variations? Interesting. Also, her jumps look SOO much more secure than I thought. Medalling might be difficult considering there are only two weeks left until Skate America, but anything can happen. Remember Nathan’s disastrous showing at Japan Open last year? He then went on to have an undefeated season. Bradie is a hard worker and I’m sure we’ll see vast improvements. Best of luck to her.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Bradie adding arms over the head variations? Interesting. Also, her jumps look SOO much more secure than I thought. Medalling might be difficult considering there are only two weeks left until Skate America, but anything can happen. Remember Nathan’s disastrous showing at Japan Open last year? He then went on to have an undefeated season. Bradie is a hard worker and I’m sure we’ll see vast improvements. Best of luck to her.

hun.. can you send me the results link... ANL is exhausted form trying to find one.. I MUST know how my girl, Bradie is doing......

added later:

Bradie came in 5th? 124?

all I could find was this https://www.rockerskating.com/news/...pen-play-by-playresults-ladies-free-mens-free

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Ohhh THANK you so much Sylvia.

Bradie has hit Ashley Wagner / Carolina Kostner / Mao Asada territory with me where I feel like Im watching a mature woman skate and no longer a girl.

Just love it.

But with Trusova constantly putting down a 160 can anyone challenge?

added later: her score is low... Despite the fall on her second 3/3 and the pop I would put this much closer to 130.

holy cow, have you guys seen what YT comments are these days??? Whats wrong with the world.

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Except that TSL rarely includes video footage in their recaps so they’re unlikely to get shut down for copyright violation.

What they posted here was an excellent quality fancam of Gracie’s SP, and I’m sorry it’s down because it was much better than the ones I saw on Twitter.

To be honest since this was a fancam, not NBC footage, I’m not even sure NBC was within their rights to block it.
:huh: Most sporting competitions do not allow you to take video. While this is rarely enforced, if someone owns the broadcasting rights, fan cams and publishing of them are in violation of those rights.

Also, TSL monetizes anything that can get past the initial YouTube filter. If someone owns the broadcasting rights to a competition video they’re monetizing, they’re in violation of not just YouTube’s TOS, but also the law. Enough of these strikes, and what @greenapple is saying is true, especially with the unknowns in the new environment Youtubers find themselves in.

Tavi

:huh: Most sporting competitions do not allow you to take video. While this is rarely enforced, if someone owns the broadcasting rights, fan cams and publishing of them are in violation of those rights.

Also, TSL monetizes anything that can get past the initial YouTube filter. If someone owns the broadcasting rights to a competition video they’re monetizing, they’re in violation of not just YouTube’s TOS, but also the law. Enough of these strikes, and what @greenapple is saying is true, especially with the unknowns in the new environment Youtubers find themselves in.

You’re probably right, but without seeing the actual contract between NBC and USFS, we don’t know for sure. And if NBC does have and is vigorously enforcing those rights :), I’m not sure why there’s still another clip of Gracie’s program on YouTube that was also posted yesterday, that’s not blocked.

Carolla5501

you just dashed my hopes . One can only hope that the trash will go away

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Sorry for dashing your hopes. But unlike so many here, I don’t think think TSL is trash.
People who take others’ work, and monetize it are trash. They literally lift peoples’ twitter videos and monetize them on youtube. People can say they’re just doing it for fans so more people can see content, but that defense stops once they decide to be greedy and profit off someone else’s work.

Teamgracie

I’m following the person from yesterday that posted Gracies skate and he just said that a skater just skated to the exact same music that she will be skating to. That’s too bad. If it’s the same as her long program planned from last year I’m surprised that happened. I can’t wait to see her skate it, it’s emotionally relevant for her, it will be emotional watching it.

all_empty

Wow Mirai and Bradie. Not perfect, but very good performances.

We saw Mirai at Aurora, and she upped the technical content even more here. Kudos for her for doing the 3+3 (I'm sure the 2A+2T could've been a 2A+3T). And of course the playful Mirai we love at the end. The crowd was so behind her.

This is my favorite Bradie program. She has narrow shoulders and long arms, and is making a noticeable effort to create more extended, beautiful shapes with her limbs. Pale colors on fair skaters doesn't always work, but I think her costume is gorgeous (could do away with the clasps in the back and just go for a keyhole).

As she has done in the past, she's saving difficult content for the end, but the highlight is the choreo sequence, which Mariah Bell milked so successfully last year. Bradie can make it a real moment -- it is stunning.

Teamgracie

She made it! Beautiful dress. I hope to see her live in Hyannis, never have before.

Does anyone know how sectionals work? Do you just go or are there tickets or anything? In all my years of following skating I have never been to a sectionals event.

Congrats 🎉🎊 so happy for her.

Sylvia

TBD
South Atlantics Senior Ladies top 5 have qualified for Easterns:
119Emily Zhang, SC of Wilmington160.771117.52178.29
217Jill Heiner, Annapolis SC256.972101.41158.38
318Gracie Gold, IceWorks SC351.21484.18135.39
416Cailey Weaver, Panthers FSC449.40582.56131.96
513Julia Biechler, SC of Wilmington641.49388.68130.17

FS protocols: https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/27725/SEGM024.html

The joint Eastern Sectional Singles & Ice Dance Finals will take place Nov. 12-16 in Hyannis, MA. Tickets will be required but I haven't seen prices listed online yet.

Teamgracie

FS protocols: https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/27725/SEGM024.html

The joint Eastern Sectional Singles & Ice Dance Finals will take place Nov. 12-16 in Hyannis, MA. Tickets will be required but I haven't seen prices listed online yet.
Thank you, do you know where to get tickets? Will it be on USFS site when they are available?

Tavi

People who take others’ work, and monetize it are trash. They literally lift peoples’ twitter videos and monetize them on youtube. People can say they’re just doing it for fans so more people can see content, but that defense stops once they decide to be greedy and profit off someone else’s work.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinions, but aren’t you making assumptions? Regarding this particular video, since Dave and Jonathan both live in the NY metro area, it’s entirely possible one of them attended regionals and took it, or a friend did and gave them permission to use it. While I haven’t looked in depth at all of TSL’s work and don’t plan to, their recaps, whether you like them or not, are original content.

I’d also guess that most of the skating videos posted on YouTube are taken from broadcasts. And most of us here happily watch them and complain when they’re blocked. There’s a simple solution for copyright owners and original content providers: make your work available easily on YouTube for a fee. Most of them choose not to do so.

Vagabond

You are entitled to your moral judgments, but the law in the United States is more complicated than that.

Fair use

It's been quite some time since I watched anything on TSL, but I don't recall ever seeing anything there that clearly violated the fair use doctrine.

natsulian

Talk about guts! Isabelle, who placed fourth at the Junior Grand Prix in Egna, missed her 3F+3T combo in the beginning so she added it in the second half AND did a 2A+3T+2T. She earned a personal best of 167. I think she’s the best contender for the third spot for Junior Worlds.

Kate Wang placed a disappointing 11th, but this is a good learning experience for her. She’s been consistently putting out two clean programs since the summer, so this was a bit of a surprise. Congrats nonetheless to both ladies.

Maximillian

RIP TA
You are entitled to your moral judgments, but the law in the United States is more complicated than that.

Fair use

It's been quite some time since I watched anything on TSL, but I don't recall ever seeing anything there that clearly violated the fair use doctrine.

I don't think Fair use would be applicable since they're making money off it...

natsulian

Top International Junior Ladies' Scores:
1. Alysa Liu, 208.10 (USA) / 203.10 (Poland)
2. Isabelle Inthisone, 156.03 (Latvia) / 167.47 (Italy)
3. Kate Wang, 164.59 (Russia) / 144.99 (Italy)
4. Gabriella Izzo, 160.94 (Latvia) / 149.71 (Croatia)
5. Hanna Harrell, 160.50 (France)
6. Lindsay Thorngren, 158.09 (Poland)
7. Emilia Murdock, 148.95 (USA)
8. Sarah Jung, 148.81 (Croatia)
9. Jessica Lin, 148.35 (USA)
10. Calista Choi, 148.19 (France)
11. Audrey Shin, 143.29 (Russia)

Rock2

Sorry for dashing your hopes. But unlike so many here, I don’t think think TSL is trash.

I don't either.

Dave is out there for sure but he's very well researched and has actually toned down his act from the Aunt Joyce days, which is where so many people's residual hatred originates.

They dare to talk about things no one else will which is why they get labelled controversial. I love Jackie Wong, but I don't see him leading a discussion about abuse in sport. When the heat gets turned up a bit, these guys all scatter and hide. They are also not afraid to have an opinion on something. They are pretty unique in that regard.

Last time I checked, TSL had way more engagement and following than any other skating personality in social media. They are not going away because their content is in demand, and no other platform will take them on. If anything, they should feel empowered to move forward.

Rock2

I wonder how Gracie is feeling. On one hand it's super tough to come back to competition after all this time and the heights you have achieved. So it's just one event to get her feet wet - can't overthink the result.

On the other hand, by the protocols it looks like she checked out of the back half of her long program completely. I wonder to what extent she's up for the fight to have to raise her score significantly just to get into nationals and face a whole new kind of pressure and exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information