Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimi

Jack Gallagher got Benoit Richaud to comment on Daisuke's "big move". The article doesn't really contain new info, but it's always nice to read people saying nice things about Dai :)
“I think Daisuke has a lot to offer in ice dance — his musicality, his expression, the way he moves on the ice,’ Richaud said. “But he has to learn to do it with another person.

Sylvia

TBD
Sad news: https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1179730432142671872
Mai Mihara has withdrawn from Regionals. 😢 Details haven’t been given yet, but she was unwell during the off season.

Regionals was required for her to advance to Nationals (unless perhaps some exception can be made?). No word yet on whether she’ll compete on the Grand Prix.
Mihara is assigned to Skate Canada and Cup of China.

JPN Regionals thread in the Kiss & Cry forum (4 competitions are completed with the final 2 this weekend): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...onal-qualifying-domestic-competitions.106094/

J

Jeschke

Why did she have to skate regionals?
She is the pewter medalist, 4cc medalist of last season with 2 GP's.

I cannot recall JPN skaters with GP's had to go through regionals to qualify for nationals.
What's going on? :drama:

Colonel Green

Following up on my earlier point about Yoshida/Nishiyama qualifying a spot at the Youth Olympics (which they would presumably then take themselves), my :COP: indicates that they're in a slightly better position than I thought earlier, though there's one team at this event they have to somewhat worry about, namely, the Germans currently in fourth place after the RD in Egna. If both teams hold their current positions, Luft/Schuster would earn nine points from the event (for a total of nine; they got no points from their first assignment) and Yoshida/Nishiyama would earn four points, for a total of nine, adding the five they got in Lake Placid. Luft/Schuster would then win the tiebreaker based on their having a higher placement.

Now, there's a pretty good chance Japan would get a spot anyway, as one of the qualified spots belongs to Georgia, and I don't think Georgia even has any other teams apart from Kazakova/Reviya (if they do, they weren't on the JGP). But it's always better to gain a guaranteed berth.

Sylvia

TBD
Why did she have to skate regionals?
She is the pewter medalist, 4cc medalist of last season with 2 GP's.

I cannot recall JPN skaters with GP's had to go through regionals to qualify for nationals.
Mihara withdrew from Lombardia Trophy last month (but I'm not sure if the timing of that comp. would have given her a bye through her Regional? eta: according to the document translated by @denise3lz in the Kiss & Cry section, the answer seems to be no). I believe Yuna Shiraiwa is competing at Regionals this week and she has 2 GPs. If you're not a current national medalist ("pewter" doesn't count in JPN ;)) or Hanyu, the fed. normally won't designate a skater with seeded status (direct bye to Nationals).

Mai Mihara's name was crossed out of Skate Canada yesterday on the grid but not Cup of China... so maybe there's still hope her season isn't over yet? Here's what @rosewood posted in Mihara's cheer thread earlier:
I knew there were examples in the past that some skaters withdrew from Regionals due to injuries but they were allowed to participate in Sectional as exceptional cases by submitting a medical certificate.

Last edited:

Fairuza

Following up on my earlier point about Yoshida/Nishiyama qualifying a spot at the Youth Olympics (which they would presumably then take themselves), my :COP: indicates that they're in a slightly better position than I thought earlier, though there's one team at this event they have to somewhat worry about, namely, the Germans currently in fourth place after the RD in Egna. If both teams hold their current positions, Luft/Schuster would earn nine points from the event (for a total of nine; they got no points from their first assignment) and Yoshida/Nishiyama would earn four points, for a total of nine, adding the five they got in Lake Placid. Luft/Schuster would then win the tiebreaker based on their having a higher placement.

Now, there's a pretty good chance Japan would get a spot anyway, as one of the qualified spots belongs to Georgia, and I don't think Georgia even has any other teams apart from Kazakova/Reviya (if they do, they weren't on the JGP). But it's always better to gain a guaranteed berth.
So now that Utana and Shingo are above the Germans, what does that mean?

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Yuna Shiraiwa placed 7th at Kinki Regionls this past weekend(2 8 141.96). Prior to the Regional she withdrew from US Classic although she made it to the US. Here is an article published between SP and FS during the Reagional, which explains her health condition.

(my rough translation)
Shiraiwa had step throat in the beginning of August. "Since then various things happened. I had viral cold, too." she explained. She made it to the US but she had to withdraw from US Classic due to poor health condition. After coming home, "I was in bed for 10 days. I was not able to do good training for 3 weeks in total." She participates in Kinki Regionals in such a bad condition.
"I'm not recovered fully yet but getting better little by little." she said with a smile on her face.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
2019-2020 International Scores so far-

MEN
Yuzuru Hanyu 279 Autumn
Keiji Tanaka 249 USFS Intl
Yuma Kagiyama 245 JGP
Sota Yamamoto 240 USFS Intl
Shun Sato 219 JGP
Koshiro Shimada 214 Nebelhorn
Mitsuki Sumoto 209 Ondrej Nepela
Kazuki Tomono 203 Lombardia
Sena Miyake 189
Kao Miura 185 JGP

TBD- Shoma Uno (FIN), Daisuke Takahashi, Tatsuya Tsuboi?, Yuto Kishina?

WOMEN
Rika Kihira 224 Autumn
Satoko Miyahara 204 USFS Intl
Kaori Sakamoto 194 Ondrej Nepela
Rino Matsuike 193 JGP
Nana Araki 181 JGP
Tomoe Kawabata 177 JGP
Marin Honda 174 Nebelhorn
Chisato Uramatsu 171 JGP
Wakaba Higuchi 164 Lombardia
Mako Yamashita 163 Ondrej Nepela
Mana Kawabe 163 JGP
Rion Sumiyoshi 161 JGP
Moa Iwano 157 JGP
Azusa Tanaka 125 JGP

TBD- Yuhana Yokoi (FIN), Ayaka Hosoda?, Yuna Shiraiwa (GP)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I :rolleyes: at Jack Gallagher's tweet that he described as a 'scoop'.

(my rough translation)
It seems the reason why #Shoma Uno decided not to join #Eteri Tutberidze's team was all the members in their team have to use #Daniil Greikhengauz's choreography.

Shoma's brother Tatsuki (@jumokuno0108) immediately denied Gallagher's 'scoop' by quoting tweets from @ShomaUnofacebookpage.
https://twitter.com/jumokuno0108

(my rough translation)
tweet 1:
ShomaUnofacebookpage:Shoma has a lot of respect to Coach Tutberidze and her team. To begin with he originally planned just to join their camp. It's not the case that he changed his original plan or refused to join their team. It's the point that I wished you didn't misunderstood.
Tatsuki: Agreed.

tweet 2:
SUFP: (same tweet as tweet 1)
Tatsuki: Absolutely agreed.

tweet 3:
SUFP: This timing, with no source announced, you just wrote "It seems...". It's your suspicious speculation story with no clear source, right? I could be pleased if you had a solid report based on an actual interview and paid enough attention to leave Shoma just focused on his ongoing competition.
Tatsuki: Absolutely x 2 agreed.
___

Some articles were published (such as in Russia) based on Gallagher's tweet. I think Gallagher needs to prove that his 'scoop' is not a false rumor. If he can't, I wish he'll clear up his speculation. It'll be respectable to all of Shoma, Eteri, and Daniil. @japanice 🤷‍♂️

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Mai Mihara explained about her current condition in a handwitten message posted on her (and her team mate Karoi Sakamoto's) official site run by their sponsor company Sysmex.

(my rough translation)
Thank you very much for your supports as always.
Due to the bad health condition caused by aggravation of my [chronicle] disease I had to withdraw from Kiniki Regional and Skate Canada of GP series.
To come back on the ice one minute or even one second sooner I want to focus on treatment for now.
I received lots of presents and letters that I'm reading. I'm truly truly filled with gratitude to everyone.
I'll come back stronger and will skate with smiles again. I'm doing my best for that right now. Please wait until then. Thank you for your warm supports in advance.

Mai Mihara
____

Health is the first. I'll wait for Mai's come back whenever it will be. 🌹

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
During a mix-zone interview at SKAM Kaori Sakamoto answered that she injured in her left ankle on an axel jump during training about a month ago.

Kaori also said she had to reduce amount of training due to the injury. She's not confident with the jumps that she's usually good at, she explained.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Hot on the heels of Alena Kostornaia debuting her triple axel at the Finlandia Trophy, it looks like Wakaba Higuchi is attempting the same thing for her free program at Skate America.

Here is a link to the Ladies' Planned Program Content - Check List.

Well, skaters don't always follow their planned program sheets. We'll see what she does, but according to Jackie Wong's practice reports, she didn't attempt any 3A in practice yesterday. We'll see if she does today.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Well, skaters don't always follow their planned program sheets. We'll see what she does, but according to Jackie Wong's practice reports, she didn't attempt any 3A in practice yesterday. We'll see if she does today.

I've found that fascinating, too.

Wakaba's triple axel is a good one. I believe there is footage of her landing it in practice at the 2017 WTT.

It's a funny element to list, if she hasn't been attempting it. No harm in building a little self-promotional buzz, I guess.

You would think with the restrictive nature of IJS, that skaters would pretty much stick to a well-rehearsed script. But, I have seen more than a few athletes change their programs mid course, switch jumps, or omit combinations which they have added later. It must do even the best mathematician's heads in trying to keep track of building points.

Of course, how Higuchi does in the short program may determine whether she goes for the triple axel in the free, or not.

Anyway, I really enjoy her skating. Here's hoping she is on the comeback trail.

Last edited:

all_empty

Sad that the Japanese ladies are struggling this season with illness or injury.

I'm really bummed about Mai Mihara and Yuna Shiraiwa, both of whom seem to be exceptionally hard workers.

Kaori Sakamoto wasn't bad at Skate America and was close to the podium. Wakaba always starts her season a bit more slowly. Not sure what's going on with Mako Yamashita -- injury?

This is a great opportunity for Marin Honda but given her few seasons I'm not sure she'll break out of the middle of the pack (or be given the PCS she deserves).

Of course, Rika Kihira and Satoko Miyahara have upcoming GP events, as well as Yuhana Yokoi, who podiumed at Lombardia.

Marco

Hopefully the strong short program will give Wakaba some confidence going forward. Still so much work to be done to regain her 2018 form, let alone to exceed that to accomplish 3axels and quads to be competitive with the Russians.

Is Mako injured? I am sorry she has decided to reuse her short program with the distracting singing.

I actually really like Kaori's package this season. Matrix really highlights her speed and flow. Love the spirals nearly slitting the throats of everyone on the juding panel. She is also consciously holding her jump landings a lot more and I love that. Evidently the judges love her too given she was only a few points off the podium with 5 triples vs 8 from Liza.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Sad that the Japanese ladies are struggling this season with illness or injury.

I'm really bummed about Mai Mihara and Yuna Shiraiwa, both of whom seem to be exceptionally hard workers.

Kaori Sakamoto wasn't bad at Skate America and was close to the podium. Wakaba always starts her season a bit more slowly. Not sure what's going on with Mako Yamashita -- injury?

This is a great opportunity for Marin Honda but given her few seasons I'm not sure she'll break out of the middle of the pack (or be given the PCS she deserves).

Of course, Rika Kihira and Satoko Miyahara have upcoming GP events, as well as Yuhana Yokoi, who podiumed at Lombardia.
Mako injured in her back during her final season in Jr field. She's struggled with the chronicle injury all the way since then. She lost her pretzel spin due to the injury. She also injured in her right ankle during the off season after winning a bronze in JW. It's the injury affected her performance level the most all through her Sr seasons. She recently said she feels pains even during off ice training. :( Wish quick and complete recovery from the ankle injury (at least)!

Last edited:

all_empty

I feel like Kaori has had the wrong packaging her entire senior career (minus the incredible Moonlight Sonata short that landed her at the Olympics).

Both she and Wakaba are power skaters and should be given strong music.

Let's not forget that Kaori is the Japanese national champion and typically very very consistent. With the Trophee de France field depleting quickly, she has an outside shot for the gold and potentially a berth in the GP Final.

all_empty

in my view... maybe before, but this season her SP and FS choreо, music and costumes are to DIE FOR! Two of the best ladies' dresses at Skate America (in add. to Tennell's SP dress, and Shcherb's FS dress).

Yes, I meant until this season! Don't love the SP costume but I do like the program very much.

Tinami Amori

Yes, I meant until this season! Don't love the SP costume but I do like the program very much.
Can't argue about the "taste in costumes". I personally (for myself) think it's her best costume ever!! I love it!
(I am just as excited about Tennell's SP costume and choreo. But Kaori is +5).

And the choreography and the expression in that programme is just great! I am so sorry she did get 3rd place over all. Just one jump short... I think she is following the right style, both in SP and FS.

she is going to be my fav. japanese lady for now. she is showing the same "style" that i loved in Higuchi's "Skyfall" 2 seasons ago, but unfortunately she chose to go "lyrical" this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information