The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

chantilly

I am just noticing that Guignard & Fabbri are scheduled to go up against Sinitsina & Katsalapov at the Shanghai Trophy. Oct. 3-5.

If it happens, I believe it would be the first head-to-head this season between two top 8 teams. Two teams which, despite being far apart at Worlds, actually split results last season and also split dances at both the GPF and Europeans.
I’d like to believe based on this it’ll be a fair battle but I’m guessing it will not be the case.
I expect S and K to win by a land mile.
Saying that I’m not a massive fan of either team but if I had to choose I’d pick S and K. They just seem to have more speed, power and dynamics.

However I am going by last year’s impressions.

Eisfee

I am just noticing that Guignard & Fabbri are scheduled to go up against Sinitsina & Katsalapov at the Shanghai Trophy. Oct. 3-5.

If it happens, I believe it would be the first head-to-head this season between two top 8 teams. Two teams which, despite being far apart at Worlds, actually split results last season and also split dances at both the GPF and Europeans.
G/F are off the list. Only 4 dance couples will be at this competition.

binbinwinwin

Daisuke/Kana for Gold 2026? ;)

Seriously, I think this is going to be challenging for them to be competitive, but I'm really interested to see how they progress

I'm really interested in this partnership too, and what it can bring beyond 2022. I think so far it's bringing a lot of attention to ice dance as a sport and I think Daisuke can inspire a lot of young skaters in Japan to consider the discipline as a viable option for a competitive career.

nimi

I think so far it's bringing a lot of attention to ice dance as a sport and I think Daisuke can inspire a lot of young skaters in Japan to consider the discipline as a viable option for a competitive career.
MTE. There are so many young Japanese singles skaters with soft knees and nice flow, I'd love to see some of them give ice dance a try!

Right now there are two inexperienced but talented Japanese junior teams on the JGP circuit, and I think one of them (Takanami/Ikeda) ages out next season, so if we're lucky we might see some real competition at the Japanese Nats next season! I hope all these teams stick together and manage to stay relatively injury-free 🙏

ETA: Has anybody heard anything about how Ko/Ko are doing? I remember hearing they had to withdraw from their scheduled CS event because Komatsubara suffered a concussion, but no news after that... Hope they're okay...

Last edited:

clairecloutier

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
That isn't THAT different from their OD noone liked when Tessa&Scott came back with Prince. But this time IMO, they're pushing Guillaume to get there. A lot of work to come, but IMO, if the point was having fun and make a great nod to the musical AND the original film, there it is.

kittysk8ts

For those who didn't see it in the Papadakis/Cizeron thread--their new RD to Fame. I think it looks good so far! Love the concept, it obviously needs more polishing, but quite interesting IMO:

I like it! As a child of the 80s, it brought back so many memories. Excellent choice for them. The Finnstep was awesome.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
For those who didn't see it in the Papadakis/Cizeron thread--their new RD to Fame. I think it looks good so far! Love the concept, it obviously needs more polishing, but quite interesting IMO:

Definitely out of the box for them . It looks like this could be some campy fun with the right mileage and costumes.

I have to confess that I kinda wish they had also used "I sing the Body Electric" as it's my favorite song from the movie

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I think H/B's FD is delightfully weird. Is she going for Helena Bonham Carter? That character step is my favorite of the season so far.
That FD was so much better than their first outing. Still, something's missing. Can't put my finger on it.

nimi

I think H/B's FD is delightfully weird. Is she going for Helena Bonham Carter? That character step is my favorite of the season so far.
This was my first time seeing this FD and while I didn't love it right away, I too found the program pretty enjoyable and definitely interesting, and I just really appreciate that H/B and their team didn't give us another paint by numbers flamenco program. (I almost felt bad for C/P skating theirs...)

I think the circular step might be one of the most watchable ones this season. It's kind of refreshing to see two skaters do that element while dancing in hold. I feel like a lot teams' "step sequences in hold" are, like, "let's do a couple of steps in actual dance hold, then we'll separate, then we'll hold hands and push and pull each other, oh let's separate again and flail a bit, now let's push & pull & separate and rinse & repeat, then a couple of steps in hold, separate, double twizzle, PHEW WE'RE DONE" and it gets a bit old.

Also, this might be the first time that I felt Kaitlin was selling the program just as much as he was. Looking forward to seeing this FD develop. Also looking forward to seeing JLB's fabulous jacket again! :encore:

Debbie S

That FD was so much better than their first outing.
I thought this comp was H/B's first outing. :confused: Guess I haven't been keeping up.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I preferred C/P. If you're going to skate to flamenco, use actual flamenco music and not a Beethoven adaptation. Shrug. By my calculations, C/P lost about 3 points on Anthony's twizzle mistake so overall, they may have beaten H/B w/o the error. H/B should be worried. I'm sure they will improve as the season goes on but so will other teams and it's looking like the battle for the 3rd spot at Nats will be tight.

I do think C/P's FD needs a bit more tweaking, namely a bit less of dragging Christina on the ice. But I think they have captured the feeling of flamenco, as have H/B, but at this point C/P's program feels more cohesive to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information