CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

rdavies

Spooner points out that she's bigger than most female figure skaters (5' 10" 181 lbs), an added challenge for her partner, ice dancing champion Andrew Poje who has to lift her in the air.

"I don't think little girls have probably seen a figure skater quite as big as me, so hopefully it shows them that they can do anything that they put their mind to and want to do."

Last edited:

starrynight

Spooner points out that she's bigger than most female figure skaters (5' 10" 181 lbs), an added challenge for her partner, ice dancing champion Andrew Poje who has to lift her in the air.

"I don't think little girls have probably seen a figure skater quite as big as me, so hopefully it shows them that they can do anything that they put their mind to and want to do."

The pairs and dance guys are so strong they can manage this. I've seen pairs guys lift other pairs guys. Dylan Moscovitch can lift other pairs guys above his head. I've seen videos of Andrew easily lifting Natalie. It probably more only becomes an issue if these lifts need to be repeatedly done amongst other elements in a 5 minute competition program.

But the BOTB programs are shorter and don't have any set elements, so I think they will all be fine.

rdavies

Andrew Poje

Q: I was asked if I needed a spoon for my ice cream?...
A: I already got my dancingspoon

WuMJNwc.jpg

rdavies

rdavies

The pairs and dance guys are so strong they can manage this
They are strong, yes. But it's all about leverage, timing and balance. Like pro wrestling, the guy getting lifted is doing a lot of the work, you can't "deadweight" somebody. If you notice the early footage of spoje (Spooner and Poje) she didn't go up so easily. That's because she didn't know how to help. Practice makes perfect.

Colonel Green

Amanda/Colton: My mother remarked that she was clearly doing most of the work there. But he seems quite sturdy in the lifts, which is good.

honey

I think should should keep Colby as a judge. I find him delightful.

Sheldon Kennedy is by a long shot the best skater thus far. I wish Scott had explained even more how amazing it was for him to have been doing some of the Yankee Polka. Doubtful the general public will have a clue that he was doing part of competitive dance pattern. Loved it.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
It's great to watch the CBC feed from Halifax - hope everyone enjoys this when it's 8 p.m. in your CDN time zone :)

Colonel Green

Vanessa/Bryan: Not especially complicated choreographically, but that's probably the smoothest we've seen so far.

rdavies

Colby Armstrong is a good judge, he must have talked to his mother (skating coach). Gerry Dee in the crowd, funny as always.

Poje/Spooner
Good start. She is a big girl, I think you'll see them do a lot of intricate skating because I'm not sure how good the lifts will look aesthetically.
9.3 9.3 9.3

Evora/Orr
Looks like another Evora/Thornton pairing (a little stiff)
9.2 9.1 9.1

Elladj Balde makes an appearance and we see a clip of him helping the skaters (Sheldon Kennedy might be good at this)

Weaver/Kennedy
Graham James gets buried
Sheldon's buying into this (gets a standing O)
9.4 9.4 9.5

Radford/Kessel
She's rockin the skirt and does a death spiral, a little unsteady but not too bad
9.3 9.2 9.2

They've got to get Colby Armstrong back as a regular judge (or is he) he's better than Virtue/Moir
Some schtick with PJ and V, charming as always

James/McGrattan
Is is just me or does Brian remind anyone of a younger Randy Bachman (looks and talks/sounds just like him) Seems to feel the music like him too. Vanessa James, I don't know her too well, she seems nice.
This could be THE pairs team
9.4 9.3 9.2

Gordeeva/Gervais
They're going to be in there, Gervais was pretty good
Gerry Dee picks them to win
9.4 9.4 9.4

Colonel Green

They've got to get Colby Armstrong back as a regular judge (or is he) he's better than Virtue/Moir
I agree, I was very impressed with Colby.

I'll be interested to see who else they get as guest judges. I guess Meagan would probably be a conflict of interest.

Between this and the Aurora Games, this is a golden age for people who like skating contests with baseline numeric scoring that have no discernible criteria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information