U.S. Ice Dance 2019-20 season news & updates

platniumangel

Tkachenko/Kiliakov's Sherlock Holmes FD practice clip, filmed in Lake Placid: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1bS4Y0HwQ_

This Freedance reminded me so much of Andreeva/Desyatov’s Freedance from last season - and I just realized why - both Sherlock Holmes.

platniumangel

platniumangel

On Ice Perspectives has an interview up with Nguyen/Kolesnik. I've never heard Avonley speak before. Bless her, she makes Meryl Davis sound like James Earl Jones!

They’re both adorable! Wholesome and refreshing!

aftershocks

Banned Member
On Ice Perspectives has an interview up with Nguyen/Kolesnik. I've never heard Avonley speak before. Bless her, she makes Meryl Davis sound like James Earl Jones!

Avonley's speaking voice is soft and very childlike with a slow cadence in a high tonal range, while Meryl's is soft and very high-pitched. Both could do voice-overs for cartoon characters. :) Since Meryl is a lot older, her voice is less childlike probably than it used to be.

jlai

Question everything
The U.S. only has 6 senior dance teams in the ISP this year. There are now 9 junior dance teams in the ISP but at the time of the entries deadline for Latvia, the only 2 teams in the ISP not yet assigned were C/Y and the Browns (who likely were slotted in for #4 Russia already).

If people really want to continue discussing this particular topic, I suggest the U.S. Dance thread in GSD would be a better place?

And the bar for Sr isp is so high that only gp skaters get Sr B now. The bar isn't so high for the other disciplines. They could have set the isp requirement to where there are some lower ranked sr teams who can get Sr Bs. But they didnt.

That’s disappointing as well. I think maybe because there are so many junior teams in comparison to senior teams right now. Many of the junior teams earned points for ISP..... but will get 0-1 international assignment.

So Many? Only one team will be left out because of Latvia. And so many new unproven teams at that.

Last edited:

Dobre

And the bar for Sr isp is so high that only gp skaters get Sr B now. The bar isn't so high for the other disciplines. They could have set the isp requirement to where there are some lower ranked sr teams who can get Sr Bs. But they didnt.

What is the bar? Only two years ago, Manta & Johnson and Biechler & Dodge made the ISP and had Senior B events without competing on the GP.

The teams that I could have pictured having a crack at it this year and/or next--Gropman & Somerville, Erdman & Vlasenko, and Haines & Koszuta--dissolved. I think a non-guaranteed GP team would have a great argument for making the ISP if they met the World minimums.

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
What is the bar? Only two years ago, Manta & Johnson and Biechler & Dodge made the ISP and had Senior B events without competing on the GP.
Last year one US lady ranked 15th at nationals and one middle ranked Jr lady that moved up got Salt Lake City. In dance you usually have to be top 8 or 9 in sr to get anything (even granting the fewer teams in Sr dance)

platniumangel

So Many? Only one team will be left out because of Latvia. And so many new unproven teams at that.
[/QUOTE]

There are many junior teams that earned their way on to ISP is my point.

Sylvia

TBD
Originally posted in the JGP Latvia thread:
And the US didn't use all their dance spots in Salt Lake City. In fact they could have assigned 2 more senior teams there, no? But no one seems to mind that. Somehow that Latvian spot seems to bug people more than wasting 2 senior slots at home. In fact why isn't US sending two Sr teams to every other Sr Bs? So far no non gp teams are getting even one Sr B.
The new senior team of Livvy Shilling & Alexander Petrov scored 140.64 at Dance Chicago (their second competition together) and I heard they just missed the ISP. I don't know of any other senior teams who have scored this summer in that range?

JGP dance assignments as currently listed on USFS' website:

JGP France
Tkachenko/Kiliakov (12,13)(12)
Wolfkostin/Chen (4,5)(5)

JGP Lake Placid
Ales/Tsarik
Lavrova/Gart
Nguyen/Kolesnik

JGP Latvia
Cesanek/Yehorov

JGP Russia
Brown/Brown
Wolfkostin/Chen

JGP Poland
Ales/Tsarik
Nguyen/Kolesnik

JGP Croatia
Cesanek/Yehorov
DelCamp/Somerville

JGP Italy
TBD

Dobre

Last year one US lady ranked 15th at nationals and one middle ranked Jr lady that moved up got Salt Lake City. In dance you usually have to be top 8 or 9 in sr to get anything (even granting the fewer teams in Sr dance)

I assume this is because we don't usually have more teams meet the required score. There is currently a huge gap in U.S. dance between the senior teams that are on the GP and the rest of the senior field. Again, because many of the teams that have had a crack at the ISP have dissolved, elected not to make the leap to seniors, or run away to the circus. Can you name a time when a team that met their World minimums did not make the ISP?

Teams that do not have whatever the ISP required score is can try to earn it in domestic events or at Lake Placid International.

jlai

Question everything
I assume this is because we don't usually have more teams meet the required score. There is currently a huge gap in U.S. dance between the senior teams that are on the GP and the rest of the senior field. Again, because many of the teams that have had a crack at the ISP have dissolved, elected not to make the leap to seniors, or run away to the circus. Can you name a time when a team that met their World minimums did not make the ISP?

Teams that do not have whatever the ISP required score is can try to earn it in domestic events or at Lake Placid International.
So the us ladies who got SLC all got world minimums? :)

Who set these standards? UsfsA.

I don’t particularly care about that in particular, only that rules and reasoning are arbitrary things that one can question ad nauseous.

Dobre

So the us ladies who got SLC all got world minimums?

I haven't the foggiest.

I did not say that the required score was to earn World minimums. I said it would be a really great argument for a team, regardless of whether they made the GP.

Sylvia's post above says the required ISP score is just slightly above 140. (That would be at least 10 points below any team that qualified for the Worlds FD last year even if you don't take into account higher Nationals scoring). She also says that Schilling & Petrov almost earned the required score in only their 2nd competition together as a team. Efimova & Petrov were 11th at Junior Nationals last year. Schilling has never even competed in dance. This does not seem like the bar is unreachable. I would think Logan Bye & his new partner may take a crack at the ISP if their new partnership works out & they give it time. (And provided they compete for the U.S.)

And the US didn't use all their dance spots in Salt Lake City. In fact they could have assigned 2 more senior teams there, no? But no one seems to mind that.

All the senior teams on the ISP that wanted Challengers last season had 2-3 Challengers. I think the same will be true this season.

I am surprised there are only two at Salt Lake. I thought McNamara & Carpenter and Green & Parsons would both go, as G&P are brand new & the teams no longer ranked neck & neck. But Carreira & Ponomarenko are going again instead. The thing is that these teams are all competitive with each other. Usually USFS sends the dancers that are competitive with one another to separate Challengers first and then maybe puts them head-to-head at a later one.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1pQHphHp1_/?igshid=10vdw4zm1etpj

On Ice Perspectives has a video up of Anya Lavrova and Maxwell Gart from training in Novi. They will be making their JGP debut together in Lake Placid this week.

Great perspective as always from Jordan Cowan of OIP. Anya and Max look like they've been skating together for a long time, and they only just partnered! They seem so well-matched physically, musically and personality-wise (per the recent icedance.com interview linked earlier). They even appear to have a slight facial resemblance:

jlai

Question everything
I haven't the foggiest.

I did not say that the required score was to earn World minimums. I said it would be a really great argument for a team, regardless of whether they made the GP.

Sylvia's post above says the required ISP score is just slightly above 140. (That would be at least 10 points below any team that qualified for the Worlds FD last year even if you don't take into account higher Nationals scoring). She also says that Schilling & Petrov almost earned the required score in only their 2nd competition together as a team. Efimova & Petrov were 11th at Junior Nationals last year. Schilling has never even competed in dance. This does not seem like the bar is unreachable. I would think Logan Bye & his new partner may take a crack at the ISP if their new partnership works out & they give it time. (And provided they compete for the U.S.)

All the senior teams on the ISP that wanted Challengers last season had 2-3 Challengers. I think the same will be true this season.

I am surprised there are only two at Salt Lake. I thought McNamara & Carpenter and Green & Parsons would both go, as G&P are brand new & the teams no longer ranked neck & neck. But Carreira & Ponomarenko are going again instead. The thing is that these teams are all competitive with each other. Usually USFS sends the dancers that are competitive with one another to separate Challengers first and then maybe puts them head-to-head at a later one.
My point all along is not about sr ice dance.
So you are fine with the new teams needing time. So who is missing out on not going to Latvia that ice dance fans are so upset about? New teams like Lavrova Gart or Ling Wein? And they made the isp scores though not scored much above? All the other teams still with a shot of placing top six all hit a second jgp already. I assume the last jgp goes to the Browns and Somerville and partner

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Challenger Series (teams currently listed on USFS' Assignments page except for Nebelhorn Trophy):

Lombardia Trophy
Green/Parsons

U.S. International Classic
Carreira/Ponomarenko
Chock/Bates

Ondrej Nepela Memorial
McNamara/Carpenter
(Note: J.T. Michel is listed with Aurelija Ipolito for Latvia)

Nebelhorn Trophy
Carreira/Ponomarenko
Hawayek/Baker

Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 11-13) is one week before Skate America this year. I assume that Hubbell/Donohue have elected not to compete at a Challenger this year?

Last edited:

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
IIRC H/D had said in interviews before the season that they may do US classics, or nothing at all and take time to work on the programs. So it seems like they will debut directly on the GP.

Lara111

So you are fine with the new teams needing time. So who is missing out on not going to Latvia that ice dance fans are so upset about? New teams like Lavrova Gart or Ling Wein? And they made the isp scores though not scored much above? All the other teams still with a shot of placing top six all hit a second jgp already. I assume the last jgp goes to the Browns and Somerville and partner
I feel bad for Wein.

Dobre

Daniel Brykalov is listed to compete with Ekaterina Kuznetsova for Azerbaijan at the Croatia JGP.

Your quote that I responded to was about senior teams not being able to get onto the Challenger Series because the supposed bar was too high for any team to receive a CS unless they were on the GP. This is false, and I responded because such a statement could discourage teams that are absolutely capable of earning a CS from making the leap to seniors or sticking it out long enough to develop as a new team in order to reach the real bar. They can make the CS Series. And from there work their way toward the GP.

As far as the juniors are concerned, USFS or rather the placement committee (I forget their official title) had and still has no clear evidence of how most of these teams will score on the JGP. I am opposed to shutting doors before you have the evidence. Ling & Wein met the bar they were asked to meet as far as being listed on the ISP. If they had not met it, then fine. Take the year & work. But they met it. It's entirely possible they may even get an event--that Ales & Tsarik or the Browns or anyone else may not meet whatever bar has been set for earning a second event. (Apparently the USFSA Assignment list is no longer being used to confirm everyone's second assignments). It is also possible that another spot could go unused after teams skate because not enough teams earn whatever score is needed at their first event. And there has never been any requirement that all ISP athletes receive JGP invites. It is quite common for athletes not to receive one when the field is deep. The far-sighted plan, however, would have been to fill all the early berths and wait until the end of the JGP before dropping a spot. As we can see because it now seems quite plausible that L&W won't get a berth. Despite swapping results with at least one team that earned one and splitting dances with another.

It's just thinking long term. Sending the message that if you do the work and if you meet the bar and if there is room, then you can earn the opportunity to compete. It's not USFSA's fault that all these teams decided to play musical chairs this season. No one could read a crystal ball & tell how many of the new teams would earn a place on the ISP, and no one can read one now and tell how many will meet whatever the bar is for a second JGP. It is even quite possible that if all the teams who were on the ISP at the start of the summer were asked where they wanted to go, then Latvia wound up being the spot that someone didn't. But for the good of the junior dance program as a whole, it would have been wise to keep the door open for those teams that did meet the bar until the end of the JGP.

But it is done now. I am, in fact, moving forward, which all great dance teams do when they hit a bump in the road. They use it as motivation to become stronger and they plow forward full steam ahead.

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
I suspect fans won’t stop complaining until Latvia is over. FWIW single skaters barely making the cut for isp get left out all the time.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I still don’t see any logical rationale to give up these spots. Less teams get to compete. Less teams get to earn points. Less teams get opportunities to make themeselves known to the judges. They gave up spots at a less competitive event only to assign skaters to a very competitive event.

It’s not smart. It’s not well planned out. It’s not in any way logical. Even if USFS knew it was going to give up spots, why rid yourself of flexibility in the meantime? Why pigeonhole yourself?

I’m not sure how anyone can defend this decision when there is no obvious reasoning behind it.

jlai

Question everything
I still don’t see any logical rationale to give up these spots. Less teams get to compete. Less teams get to earn points. Less teams get opportunities to make themeselves known to the judges. They gave up spots at a less competitive event only to assign skaters to a very competitive event.

It’s not smart. It’s not well planned out. It’s not in any way logical. Even if USFS knew it was going to give up spots, why rid yourself of flexibility in the meantime? Why pigeonhole yourself?

I’m not sure how anyone can defend this decision when there is no obvious reasoning behind it.
I am not defending it. It is not ideal but It is tiresome to hear this ad Nauseum and it is gonna be another two weeks before it stops. There are at least 25 posts on this already.... while there are so many questionable things USFS does that are worthy of discussion. But fans would rather focus on a possible jr dance spot on Ling/Wein or a similar team than at least one of Thorngren or Cheng or Slavicek who may likely not get a jgp despite being meeting over the isp score and then some. Selected outrage often ignored situations just as worthy of discussion.

I have often thought the federation does not use spots well and this is par for the course. Having said that this is pretty minor for a USF’s ‘offense’. They have made so many mistakes over the years, I don’t have a high bar for them. THey have just so many bad calls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information