Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I view this as Queen Margrethe having a lucky escape.

Particularly with the entire Trump clan and in-laws, not to mention administration enablers and hangers-on liable to have again traveled with their Trumpster pappy/ boss-in-need of babysitting. :p

Japanfan

I can just imagine Queen Elizabeth picking up the phone up in Balmoral and telling Queen Margrethe that she had dodged a bullet there 😁

Including have to maintain a dignified demeanor while Trump prances around in his tux looking like a silly stuffed penguin. No offense meant to penguins, which generally have more dignity than the POTUS.

mag

When the Cambridges flew to Mustique on holiday this summer, there wasn't this intense criticism. All the royals fly on private airplanes and have wealthy friends who share their yachts, jets and homes with the Windsors.

Seriously? There is always snarking when the Cambridge’s go to Mustique and I believe they have always flown commercial. When they went to France when Charlotte was a baby and flew on a private jet there was plenty of snarking about that too. When the news broke about about Meghan working on a clothing line during maternity leave, there were many comments in comment sections about how wonderful she was and how “at least she wasn’t lazing around on a beach in Mustique.”

Meghan and Harry’s friends are doing them no favours. I love Elton John’s music, but he is seriously out of touch with the common person. Two private jet holidays, no matter who pays for them, even if you pay the $150 to make them “carbon neutral” is going to get you bad press when you present yourself as someone out to save the world from climate change. I get why they did it and I think they should do what ever they like. They are a prince and princess with a ton of money. I also think if they want a day and a night nanny, go for it. Again it is their life and they should lead it the way they want. What does bother me is Jessica Mulroney’s assumption that the criticism is somehow racist bullying. People are rightfully calling out the hypocrisy. Air miles Andy got his nickname because of his love of free flights from friends. He got raked over the coals for it in the press, and he wasn’t giving speeches and interviews about climate change. If Prince Andrew can take, Prince Harry can take it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Okay @mag. Your opinion and you're welcome to it. There is a much more negative intensity being focused upon the Sussexes right now than on any of the other royals combined. It's not about whether or not Harry 'can take it' either. It's about human decency, and about focusing on the good work the Sussexes are doing, instead of constantly seeking to find fault with them in all kinds of petty and false ways. As far as I can see, the Sussexes are not planning to allow this relentless press and online troll negativity and attempts to tear them down or tear them apart to succeed on any level.

And nope, there were not headline articles and public comments and dressings down by royal reporters directed at the Cambridges for their various vacations this year on the magnitude of the negative and avidly intense coverage the Sussexes have received. Yes, other royals sometimes suffer unfair critiques, but the bile against the Sussexes is way OTT at this point in time. Part of this is the RRs wanting the Sussexes to kowtow to their 'access' demands. There's fat chance of that ever happening at this rate.

As far as Randy Andy, give me a break. The tabs right now are overfocused on Meghan in particular while they leave Andy's serious messes and the earlier gossip about William's recent extracurricular activities fairly much out of sight, out of mind.

The fact you feel it's necessary to dump on Sir Elton John for his sincere and forthright defense of his friends, the Sussexes, is rather crude and uncalled for. Elton John has certainly earned his riches, and he's also raised a lot of money for charity, and he's obviously very kind to all of his friends. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being wealthy. It's what people do with their wealth and status that is what matters in the long run.

Your referencing Elton as 'out of touch with the common man,' is pure uppity, self-righteous nonsense. Elton John was born to humble beginnings and he made something out of himself with his prodigious talents. He is a legend in his own time, and he certainly doesn't deserve you trying to crap on him because you cluelessly continue to have some kind of beef with the Sussexes for whatever reason. If you actually do like Elton's music maybe you should take a deeper trip down 'the yellow brick road,' and familiarize yourself more fully with his genius and his humanity. As I observed earlier, Elton said it all in his recent public statement, which bears repeating:
"I am deeply distressed by today’s distorted and malicious account in the press surrounding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s private stay at my home in Nice last week.

Prince Harry’s Mother, Diana Princess Of Wales was one of my dearest friends. I feel a profound sense of obligation to protect Harry and his family from the unnecessary press intrusion that contributed to Diana’s untimely death.

After a hectic year continuing their hard work and dedication to charity, David and I wanted the young family to have a private holiday inside the safety and tranquility of our home. To maintain a high level of much-needed protection, we provided them with a private jet flight. To support Prince Harry’s commitment to the environment, we ensured their flight was carbon neutral, by making the appropriate contribution to Carbon Footprint™

I highly respect and applaud both Harry and Meghan’s commitment to charity and I’m calling on the press to cease these relentless and untrue assassinations on their character that are spuriously crafted on an almost daily basis."

Unfortunately, I think it's 'gonna be a long, long time' before relentless haters, criticizers, and negative nancy naysayers let up on their compulsive need to gaze on the Sussexes with a mixture of wrath, envy, patronizing disdain, conscious or unconscious bias, and clueless negativity.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wills, Kate and the kids fly budget:

The Cambridges are off to Balmoral

Eh, Meghan and Harry have flown together before on commercial aircraft, as have some other members of the royal family, on occasion. So now with the hot spotlight on royal air travel, the Cambridges made sure to not call to the fore anymore negative attention, while at the same time managing to contrast themselves at this particular moment. What else is new(s). The press are after the Sussexes, and RRs have said as much on more than one occasion, particularly in the aftermath of the Sussexes choosing not to publicly share plans for the birth of their first child. It was rather overly presumptuous for the press to expect the Sussexes to extend them any favor after the way Meghan was negatively dragged in the press throughout her pregnancy.

When I saw the below photo, I was like, Whoa! Bejesus, no thanks, not so soon after giving birth. Not to mention the heavy security costs and disturbance to other hospital patrons and visitors:

Kate's a trooper, and I respect Meghan and Harry for taking a completely different approach that suited them. The Sussexes' approach worked for them and their newborn son. Harry's enthusiastic unplanned announcement at Windsor in front of the horse stalls will remain memorable. They had intended two days later to conduct the photo-op on the back steps of Frogmore House (scene of their engagement and wedding photos), but rain led to St. George's Hall at Windsor Castle becoming the venue. That will be a memorabe moment too. In fact, the Sussexes' more controlled and press-limited approach against historic royal backdrops might become more the norm for baby birth photo-ops among royal couples in the future.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Seriously? There is always snarking when the Cambridge’s go to Mustique and I believe they have always flown commercial. When they went to France when Charlotte was a baby and flew on a private jet there was plenty of snarking about that too. When the news broke about about Meghan working on a clothing line during maternity leave, there

were many comments in comment sections about how wonderful she was and how “at least she wasn’t lazing around on a beach in Mustique.”

Meghan and Harry’s friends are doing them no favours. I love Elton John’s music, but he is seriously out of touch with the common person. Two private jet holidays, no matter who pays for them, even if you pay the $150 to make them “carbon neutral” is going to get you bad press when you present yourself as someone out to save the world from climate change. I get why they did it and I think they should do what ever they like. They are a prince and princess with a ton of money. I also think if they want a day and a night nanny, go for it. Again it is their life and they should lead it the way they want. What does bother me is Jessica Mulroney’s assumption that the criticism is somehow racist bullying. People are rightfully calling out the hypocrisy. Air miles Andy got his nickname because of his love of free flights from friends. He got raked over the coals for it in the press, and he wasn’t giving speeches and interviews about climate change. If Prince Andrew can take, Prince Harry can take it.

Great post!
I agree with you about their friends are not doing Meghan and Harry any favors nor are Meghan and Harry doing themselves any favors. They seem to be trying so hard to paint themselves as regular folk, and they are not. They are Royalty. Enjoy! I think sometimes Meghan gets Royalty and Hollywood confused. They are way different.

They are both privileged and constrained by their position. I would think having them fly commercial would create such havoc at the airport and on the plane that it would be overwhelming for other passengers, the airline, the airport. It all goes with the job description.

As to Jessica Mulroney...............I read that yesterday, and had to re-read it to make sure she was actually saying the criticism was racist. That kind of assertion is not only ridiculous, it is prejudice at it's core. She needs to have her lens cleaned!

mag

And nope, there were not headline articles and public comments and dressings down by royal reporters directed at the Cambridges for their various vacations this year on the magnitude of the negative and avidly intense coverage the Sussexes have received.

Maybe that is because the Cambridges didn’t take four private jet flights in 11 days after doing an interview where they spoke about the effects of climate change and how they would have a maximum of two children to minimize their impact. Also, when Elton John speaks, he gets press coverage. The story grew exponentially when he added his 2 cents. And yes, there was plenty of snark about the Mustique trip by Meghan defenders.

Again, I think they should travel however they please and say whatever they please in interviews. I have travelled with a small baby and if I could have flown on a private jet I would have jumped at the opportunity. I also think there has been some seriously over the top criticism, much of it rooted in racism, of Meghan. But that doesn’t mean ALL criticism is racist or over the top. Any royal who gave the interview Harry did and then took four private flights in under two weeks would face the same on-slot from the press.

Furthermore, to be absolutely clear, I was criticizing Meghan’s friends, not Meghan and Harry. Her friends, IMHO, need to shut up. They are making things worse by giving the story legs. Live your life the best way you know how and don’t worry about the naysayers.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Maybe that is because the Cambridges didn’t take four private jet flights in 11 days after doing an interview where they spoke about the effects of climate change and how they would have a maximum of two children to minimize their impact. Also, when Elton John speaks, he gets press coverage. The story grew exponentially when he added his 2 cents. And yes, there was plenty of snark about the Mustique trip by Meghan defenders.

Again, I think they should travel however they please and say whatever they please in interviews. I have travelled with a small baby and if I could have flown on a private jet I would have jumped at the opportunity. I also think there has been some seriously over the top criticism, much of it rooted in racism, of Meghan. But that doesn’t mean ALL criticism is racist or over the top. Any royal who gave the interview Harry did and then took four private flights in under two weeks would face the same on-slot from the press.

Furthermore, to be absolutely clear, I was criticizing Meghan’s friends, not Meghan and Harry. Her friends, IMHO, need to shut up. They are making things worse by giving the story legs. Live your life the best way you know how and don’t worry about the naysayers.

All of the royals have flown on private jets and have done a lot of things over the years that has not met the OTT scrutiny the Sussexes are continuing to receive, as I said, largely for the particular reason that RRs are intent on trying to gain more access to the Sussexes and their inner circle. But in this day and age, the Sussexes have options other than kowtowing to the gnarly press and tabloids who rely on the royal beat for their bread and butter. In case anyone has been living under a rock the past three years, Meghan and Harry are the most talked about and examined British royals these days, and so they sell and pictures of them and articles about them mean clicks and mucho dinero. The Sussexes have a few responsible, respectful journalists they choose to relay advance information to. Those who continue to bray, whine, criticize, and mischaracterize might as well get used to the changing of the guard.

FYI-- it doesn't matter what any of us think, the Sussexes will continue to do what they feel is right for them, and what moves them to make a difference for other people via their charities and patronages.

You seem to have backed a little bit off your disdain toward Elton John. And yet, you still have the nerve to term his serious and well-articulated comments, "his 2 cents." It is precisely because of Elton's stature and reputation in the world that he spoke out for his friends whose safety, privacy, and well-being he is deeply concerned about, particularly with his personal knowledge of and painful memory over what happened to his dear friend, Harry's mother, Diana PoW.

You must be following all of this more closely than me, because I am unaware of Elton's comments making anything 'grow exponentially.' Obviously, Elton's comments were a plea (similar to Harry's plea in the early stages his courtship with Meghan, and similar to George Clooney's comments on behalf of Meghan earlier this year) for the press to mind their own business and back-off. As far as I can see, the negative attention and OTT scrutiny the Sussexes have been subjected to is already beyond exponential, and then some by this point.

As far as your last sentence, I can suggest in turn that it might be best for you to 'live your life the best way you know how and not worry about' the Sussexes traveling to vacation venues aboard private jets. Much less should you get p.o.'ed and bent out of shape about Meghan's close friends and other well known or little known people speaking out in support of her against these unceasing and relentless attacks in the media and on the Internet.

puglover

I think it is valid to question how authentic someone is who expresses concern for the environment, climate change, etc. and then flies around in private jets - no matter who they are. I, for one, am sick of being talked down to by celebrities and high profile people who clearly do not practice what they preach. I am a big fan of all the royals including Harry and Meghan and very rarely critical, but I think this criticism is fair. I have no real problem with celebrities flying in private jets and I am sure there are a lot of very good reasons they choose to do it - just don't lecture the rest of us from your lofty perch.

skatfan

I’m guessing here, but I think Meghan is probably still getting significant numbers of death threats and now the baby is too. Which means that they probably cannot realistically fly commercial at this time. Nobody wants to say so publicly because they might multiply even more.

There’s a lot we don’t know.

I do agree that Meghan and Harry’s celebrity friends posting have an echo of when Diana would get her friends to say things in the Press

aftershocks

Banned Member
... just don't lecture the rest of us from your lofty perch.

Right back at 'ya puglover. What you project, you own. :) The fact is that it's impossible to have genuine constructively critical and non-polarizing conversations about the Sussexes in this current WTF environment of OTT and relentless negativity about anything and everything to do with their existence.

Ah, supportive and likely yummy cupcakes from Luminary Bakery (a charitable business spotlighted by Meghan in the September issue of British Vogue): https://www.instagram.com/p/B1d4fMTlsX-/

And here's a Youtube video taken from a Sussex Instagram story about Meghan's behind-the-scenes work on the upcoming capsule designer collection for SmartWorks and their clients:

As usual, Meghan is going about her business with 'no bad energy,' and lots of genuine positivity.

puglover

I do own those comments. I am a huge fan of the royal family and think it is just disgusting the vitriol that is aimed at them. That does not mean I agree with everything and feel I have the right to express it. They have taken a public stand and so they should, and will, be held to the standard they espouse.

Japanfan

Two private jet holidays, no matter who pays for them, even if you pay the $150 to make them “carbon neutral” is going to get you bad press when you present yourself as someone out to save the world from climate change.

To what does that $150.00 go, exactly? How does it cancel out the environmental harm of something?

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ That was my reaction too. I've never seen that view before. It's such a huge crowd, and we aren't even seeing the entire crowd of reporters and onlookers who were there. This is only what's in the frame. I've only ever seen the view of William & Kate coming out of the hospital and saying a few words, never the crowd view.

It makes me wonder how large the crowd was for Diana and Charles back when William was born. It must not have been quite as large back then, since it was more of a developing situation at that time, and not an expected so-called 'tradition' to gather outside the Lindo Wing with worldwide press attendance. William was probably the first modern-day direct line heir to the British throne to be born in a hospital. AFAIK, royal ladies in the late 1970s who were the first to give birth in a hospital include Princess Anne and the Duchess of Gloucester.

ETA:
Who or what is “RR”?

RR = royal reporter; RPO = royal protection officer

Last edited:

mag

To what does that $150.00 go, exactly? How does it cancel out the environmental harm of something?

“A Carbon offset is a way to compensate for your emissions by funding an equivalent carbon dioxide saving elsewhere. Our everyday actions, at home and at work, consume energy and produce carbon emissions, such as driving, flying and heating buildings. Carbon offsetting is used to balance out these emissions by helping to pay for emission savings in other parts of the world.”

I haven’t done a calculation but one article read that it would be about $145 to offset the cost of the flight.

As far as I can see it allows those who can afford it to have a larger carbon footprint without feeling guilty about it.

Japanfan

“A Carbon offset is a way to compensate for your emissions by funding an equivalent carbon dioxide saving elsewhere. Our everyday actions, at home and at work, consume energy and produce carbon emissions, such as driving, flying and heating buildings. Carbon offsetting is used to balance out these emissions by helping to pay for emission savings in other parts of the world.”

That's kind of messed up, as people should be trying to reduce the environmental harm they do as well as supporting efforts to combat climate change.

Don't take a private plane, but still make a donation.

puglover

I apologize if some of my comments appeared directed to anyone in this thread. My comment about "lofty perches" was referring to certain movie stars/celebrities who seem to me to have a lot to say about the environment and have no problem lecturing all of us - but then make inconsistent choices themselves.

kittyjake5

I apologize if some of my comments appeared directed to anyone in this thread. My comment about "lofty perches" was referring to certain movie stars/celebrities who seem to me to have a lot to say about the environment and have no problem lecturing all of us - but then make inconsistent choices themselves.

Your post was pretty clear to me. :)

Lorac

Trust me - the vast majority of people reading this thread understood exactly what you were saying including myself - and I totally agree with your sentiment. Actions speak louder than words!!

mag

“The Royal Family’s finances for the last year have been published and show that costs went up by over 40% for 2018/19, compared to the previous twelve months. Much of the rise is down to the ongoing work being carried out at Buckingham Palace which is undergoing an extensive ten year refurbishment. The latest figures are equivalent to a £1.24 cost to everyone living in the UK right now...”

“...The official expenses of the Queen and her family are funded by the Sovereign Grant which is given in return for the surrender of the revenue from the Crown Estate, one of the wealthiest property portfolios in the world. Last year, the estate brought in revenues of £343.5 million for the UK Treasury.”

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The Cambridges flew commercial with the kids.

Kate Middleton, Prince William, and their three kids appear to have taken a commercial flight from Norwich, England to Aberdeen, Scotland, according to photos and video footage published by The Daily Mail. The family of five was seen on the tarmac leaving a plane from FlyBe, a British budget airline, and being escorted to their cars. The outlet suggests they could be on their way to visit the queen and Prince Philip at Balmoral Castle, which royals often do in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information