U.S. Ladies [#26]: Bell, Boots, and Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Ditto. Emmy certainly created a MOMENT with her expressive SP performance at 2019 Nationals and I'm very glad she got to experience the appreciative audience reaction in Detroit.

She didn't compete internationally last season (last comp. was 2018 Junior Worlds: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102622.htm ) so, if all is in order, she could start representing TPE in 2019.

She got her release that quickly?

Marco

I am glad to hopefully be able to see more of Emmy.

However, with her current jumping profile (only 3/2s), it will be hard to qualify for the free skate at Worlds / Olympics.

Sylvia

TBD
Any word on who's going to be at Glacier Falls yet?
This club competition (Thursday, July 18 through Sunday, July 21) recently changed venues from their usual rink in Anaheim to Great Park Ice & FivePoint Arena in Irvine, California (as announced in the competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2019-glacier-falls-summer-classic-venue-moved.105783/

For those who can't access the Kiss & Cry, some of the notable ladies registered for the competition include (SENIOR): Alysa Liu, Megan Wessenberg, Emmy Ma (listed as representing Academy at Mitchell Johansson Method here), Akari Nakahara, Heidi Munger, Gabriella Izzo, Audrey Shin, Emilia Murdock, Sarah Jung, Alyssa Rich, Paige Rydberg;
(JUNIOR): Alena Budko, Indi Cha, Emma Coppess, Caitlin Ha, Aubrey Ignacio, Amie Miyagi, Noelle Rosa, Ellen Slavicek, Kate Wang, Allison Zheng.

Last edited:

natsulian

Best of luck to the ladies. Audrey Shin recently had surgery after the Egna Spring Trophy and is on the mend, so I'm hoping that she's recovered fully or is at least healthy enough to jump and perform a Short and Long.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Roughly some of the top scores this season (thanks for top 5, Sylvia!)- I am sure I missed some stuff but and my first draft ran away...feel free to correct. Looking forward to a new batch of scores from Glacier Falls!

SENIOR
Alysa Liu 214 Broadmoor
Hanna Harrell 182 Cannon
Karen Chen 171 Vail
E Gabriella Izzo 169 Lake Placid
M Alyssa Rich 151 Broadmoor (SP&QFS)
P Starr Andrews 149ish LA Open
E Sarah Jung 143 Broadmoor (SP+QFS)
E Jill Heiner 142 Cherry
P Brynne McIsaac 141 Broadmoor
M Amber Glenn, 140 Cannon TX
P Akari Nakahara 140 LA Open
E Kristine Levitina 139 Atlanta Open
P Emilia Murdock 138 Lake Placid
M Pooja Kalyan 136 Broadmoor (SP+QFS)
M Paige Rydberg 136 Broadmoor
M Maxine Bautista 135 Milwaukee
P Sierra Venetta 133 Broadmoor

TBD- Heidi Munger, Audrey Shin, Megan Wessenberg, Ting Cui, Courtney Hicks, Gracie Gold, Sonja Hilmer, Mariah Bell, Bradie Tennell

JUNIOR
* = in ISP

*Jessica Lin 164 M Broadmoor
*Lindsay Thorngren 161 E NACS (Novice)
Elsa Cheng 158 M NACS (Novice)
Isabeau Levito 156 E Broadmoor (SP+QFS)
Finley Hawk 151 M Southport
Emma Coppess 149 P LA Open
Mia Kalin, 147 P CCIA
Noelle Rosa 146 P Broadmoor
*Isabelle Inthisone 144 M Southport
Indi Cha 141 E Colonial
Ellen Slavicek 139 P SoCal Open
Allison Zheng 139 P NACS (Novice)
Calista Choi 138 M NACS (Novice)
Tiffany Pennella 137 E Broadmoor
Alena Budko 136 P Broadmoor

TBD- *Aubrey Ignacio P, Laura Jacobsen E

Updated 7/17, thanks Sylvia and natsulian!

Last edited:

natsulian

I am unsure as to the credibility of this report, but I remember someone stating that Mia scored 90-something in her Free at the CCIA event and around 50 for a total of 140-something. Again, I’m not sure if it’s correct at all. Also, Mia’s TES is probably the highest of all the Junior ladies, but her PCS is the lowest. If she had the same PCS as someone like Lin or Thorngren, she probably would get 110+ in her Free.

natsulian

Cannon Texas Open Senior Ladies:
1. Hanna Harrell, 182.50
2. Amber Glenn, 140.92
3. Alyssa Rich, 133.92

Link --> https://www.skatelonestar.org/cannon-texas-open

EDIT:

Per "ice coverage" from GS:
  • Emma Coppress, 149.96 at Los Angeles Open
  • Akari Nakahari, 140.57 at Los Angeles Open
  • Mia Kalin, 147.04 at CCIA
Thanks to ice coverage from Golden Skate for more scores:
  • Calista Choi, 138.29
  • Elsa Cheng, 158.83 (NQS-Novice)

Link: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?81121-2019-20-U-S-Ladies-Figure-Skating/page22

Japanfan

It's wonderful that everyone has different personalities and varying talent levels. Even though every top competitor is in it to win it or they may as well not be skating, ultimately it's all about individual journeys and the choices skaters make.

Not all skaters (or athletes in general) are in it to win it. Some just want to make it to Nationals, and just doing so is their reward. And for some, just making it to the World Championships and representing their country is the reward, and that's all they want.

concorde

Not all skaters (or athletes in general) are in it to win it. Some just want to make it to Nationals, and just doing so is their reward. And for some, just making it to the World Championships and representing their country is the reward, and that's all they want.

That makes no sense. They would have had to win a lot of smaller competitions "just" to have made it to Nationals or Worlds.

natsulian

The international reaction to Alysa’s Free is quite amusing.

Everyone else botching a program: IT’S OKAY. IT’S JUST A SMALL SUMMER COMPETITION AND YOU CAN’T EXPECT PEOPLE TO BE IN TIP-TOP SHAPE.

When Alysa “botches” a program: WOW. WHY IS SHE NOT LANDING HER 3A and 4LZ? SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG. SHE SHOULD BE LANDING THEM WITHOUT ANY ROTATION PROBLEMS AND CLEANLY.

I think the problem with Alysa will not be hype or falling under pressure, but the way she is marketed. She will be marketed (and already is being marketed) as a consistency queen who delivers every time and when she does not deliver ONCE, people will overlook all the times she’s delivered and tear her apart. There’s a saying in my culture that goes, “One bad fish can ruin an entire batch” and I think such a saying perfectly sums up the toxicity of figure skating fan culture. Best of luck to Alysa. Yes she has problems and hopefully she fixes them.

I wonder if she will compete at Philly as a junior. It might be good to perform under an ISU panel before her JGP debut.

Tavi

Everyone else botching a program: IT’S OKAY. IT’S JUST A SMALL SUMMER COMPETITION AND YOU CAN’T EXPECT PEOPLE TO BE IN TIP-TOP SHAPE.

When Alysa “botches” a program: WOW. WHY IS SHE NOT LANDING HER 3A and 4LZ? SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG. SHE SHOULD BE LANDING THEM WITHOUT ANY ROTATION PROBLEMS AND CLEANLY.

I think the problem with Alysa will not be hype or falling under pressure, but the way she is marketed. She will be marketed (and already is being marketed) as a consistency queen who delivers every time and when she does not deliver ONCE, people will overlook all the times she’s delivered and tear her apart. There’s a saying in my culture that goes, “One bad fish can ruin an entire batch” and I think such a saying perfectly sums up the toxicity of figure skating fan culture. Best of luck to Alysa. Yes she has problems and hopefully she fixes them.

I wonder if she will compete at Philly as a junior. It might be good to perform under an ISU panel before her JGP debut.

I admire Alysa for her drive and desire to push herself technically, but unless her issues last night were due to illness or injury, it looks to me like the program is just too hard for her right now. Realistically, she botched her first 4 jumping passes, and IMO, rotation looked questionable on a couple of the later jumps.

Given that her JGP debut is only six weeks away, it will be interesting to see what she and her team decide to do.

layman

Judged as a 1st year Junior (compared to Junior peers) Alysa seems to be doing just fine...but judged as the US "Senior" Champion, the lack of speed and the weak, laboured stroking hold Alysa back. I think she could get those quads and 3-axels around if she had more speed.

Her overall technique needs tweaking. Everything looks laboured now. If she is to be a truly great skater (think Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Janet Lynn, Michelle Kwan), they are going to have to address her basic skating skills.

It is interesting to compare her to Kwan (at around the same age):

Michelle is not doing Quads but nothing in her skating looks laboured or muscled. There is an ease and a lightness in her skating (that is missing in Alysa Liu's skating). That's the difference that good technique can make.

Lest this seem like all (constructive) criticism, I do want to point out that I do see improvements in Alysa's skating from last season to this season (just not enough yet to be on the same level as her senior peers) and the program is beautiful and has the potential to become a signature piece.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Beautiful new FS for Alysa. It’s a shame that she had some bobbles the first time out but it’s a big step up, artistically.:cheer2:

Tinami Amori

Michelle is not doing Quads but nothing in her skating looks laboured or muscled. There is an ease and a lightness in her skating (that is missing in Alysa Liu's skating). That's the difference that good technique can make.
Kwan's video is from US Nationals, 6 months after "summer time" and time to learn it. Alysa is skating now, in "summer time" after just learning her FS. Let's see how her FS will look by Nationals, before looking at it with "negativity".

Seems like she just had an off-day, because at Broadmoor few weeks ago, her performance was much stronger, and would have beat Kwan's (if two were scored).

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
This wasn’t the first time out.
Ok....that was frightening. Did she grow? Did someone try to tweak her jumps? Was it an off day? But that is a lot of awful in one skate.

If she calls me I would advise sh get herself to an ice dance coach who will improve her skating skills.

I ride with a group of women. A new gal came. She has a great horse and was doing so well over the jumps she got moved up to higher fences. She is now in all kinds of a mess because she missed the foundation of flat work (think stroking..rhythm..blade use)
So she does not know how to correct things when the horse is slow..fast..or crooked.

If Alyssa was injured (which I hope..because that is fixable). I hope she gives herself the time to heal. Don't need another Tara.

oleada

Maybe I’m oblivious but what international reaction? Where?

oleada

By international reaction, I mean the reactions from international fans.
I'm just asking, where? I don't see anything on FSU that really indicates that type of reaction. Just comments that it wasn't exactly a good skate, which it wasn't and hopes that she'll do better at the JGP.

natsulian

I'm just asking, where? I don't see anything on FSU that really indicates that type of reaction. Just comments that it wasn't exactly a good skate, which it wasn't and hopes that she'll do better at the JGP.
YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, etc... I hope she does better by her JGP as well. Best of luck to her. Also, I hope to see Hanna at Philly and I'm crossing my fingers for Ting's return.

Dobre

I think negative reactions from trolls on social media are pretty much a constant (especially when it comes to competitive ladies). That's why the JGP Channel disabled comments. Probably we can leave the drama out there unless there is actual news related to it?

I mean, I understand the need to vent. I can never figure out how to comment on youtube (which is just as well); but sometimes I want to go in and post, "You idiots! That hasn't been illegal in ice dance for a decade! It's a perfectly awesome lift." Etc. But, really, there's no reason everyone on FSU should have to hear it, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information