Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
As usual, What Kate Wore has a very informative post on the State Banquet.

https://whatkatewore.com/2019/06/03...littering-jewels-for-state-dinner/#more-59261
Those pictures were fabulous. As usual, Kate looks fabulous, as does Ivanka. Loved Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester - the dress is drop dead gorgeous (as is she) and the glasses are quite the touch!.
Someone better needs to dress Camilla. I don't think that dress is doing her any favors at all.

Emma Walmsley, CEO of GlaxoSmithKline - not enough words for that green dress and plaid handbag.

Melania looks relaxed and beautiful. The opera gloves are kind of odd....but appropriate to the occasion.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I couldn't stand Ivanka's dress for the state dinner. Way too casual for the occasion. And I didn't think Melania's gloves were appropriate - none of the others were wearing gloves except the Queen & even she didn't wear the type you would wear to a ball.

AxelAnnie

I couldn't stand Ivanka's dress for the state dinner. Way too casual for the occasion. And I didn't think Melania's gloves were appropriate - none of the others were wearing gloves except the Queen & even she didn't wear the type you would wear to a ball.
Melania's gloves were technically appropriate. They are opera gloves......I have not found a rule about the proprietary of wearing a certain length of glove to a State Dinner. There were lots of women wearing gloves of various lengths.

Upon looking again, I am not so whipped up about Ivanka's dress. I assume it is of some fabulous fabric. Those bows on the sleeves...............yuk. I didn't notice them at first.

PDilemma

Ivanka's dress is awful, as was that white dress and hat she had on earlier in the day. Someone on Twitter said it looked she had a maxipad on her head. I'm surprised. Usually she knows how to dress. (I can't stand her, but usually she does know how to dress!)

I saw a post on Instagram where someone photoshopped her in that white mess into the cast of Dynasty. She just needed some 80s bangs to fit right in. I can't get on board with this 80s revival in fashion. Yuck. It was bad enough the first time.

The banquet dress would've been a great shirt dress cut to around the knee. Made as a day dress, it would have worked better for the earlier part of the day than the white mess. Merging a shirt dress and an evening gown is just a big no for me.

PDilemma

Melania's gloves were technically appropriate. They are opera gloves......I have not found a rule about the proprietary of wearing a certain length of glove to a State Dinner. There were lots of women wearing gloves of various lengths.

Upon looking again, I am not so whipped up about Ivanka's dress. I assume it is of some fabulous fabric. Those bows on the sleeves...............yuk. I didn't notice them at first.

Wearing gloves wasn't the problem. The fact that they were all bunched up and wrinkled was my issue with them.

I also missed the bows on Ivanka's dress. No. Just no.

Japanfan

But Melania is not royal, so outside of royal events her wardrobe is of no interest.

I think Melania's problem is that so many years later she dresses like a runway model. I've known some runway models who didn't get to supermodel status but did do fashion shoots and runways. The tendency is to look super-sleek and stick-like, with a cold blank expression while taking pictures so that the focus is not on the face, but the clothes. Even now she favors huge sunglasses, big hats, super-sleek dresses, six inch stilettos -- the kind of looks that are favored by fashion magazines. But she's way past the runway model stage of her life and she could expand her style and go for a warmer, more personable look.

But I do think that as a First Lady the idea is to look more approachable and her clothes tend to scream "get away from me" rather than "First Lady."

Melania freaks me out - she is the stiffest person I have ever seen. She doesn't look like she can even raise an arm let alone bend over.

I agree that Melania dresses like a runway model - it was because she had that model-look that Trump was attracted to her in the first place. I'm sure she's had cosmetic work done as well, which has tightened her mouth up.

As to being stiff and uncomfortable, she probably is. My guess is she signed up to be Trump's wife, not FLOTUS, and was not prepared for the limelight that she'd be thrust under as FLOTUS. She also seems not well-suited to the role (much like her husband).

She doesn't have the demeanor that naturally suits her to the role of FLOTUS, as Michelle Obama did. Michelle was never pretentious, but always graceful and with a personality that suited her to the role.

Michelle has a big personality, whereas Melania may be somewhat lacking in personality. That would be my guess, as Trump wouldn't want a woman with the capacity to upstage him.

To me, Melania looks like a deer caught in the headlights most of the time.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

I agree that Melania dresses like a runway model - it was because she had that model-look that Trump was attracted to her in the first place. I'm sure she's had cosmetic work done as well, which has tightened her mouth up.

As to being stiff and uncomfortable, she probably is. My guess is she signed up to be Trump's wife, not FLOTUS, and was not prepared for the limelight that she'd be thrust under as FLOTUS. She also seems not well-suited to the role (much like her husband).

She doesn't have the demeanor that naturally suits her to the role of FLOTUS, as Michelle Obama did. Michelle was never pretentious, but always graceful and with a personality that suited her to the role.

Michelle has a big personality, whereas Melania may be somewhat lacking in personality. That would be my guess, as Trump wouldn't want a woman with the capacity to upstage him.

To me Melania looks to often have a deer in the headlights expression.

To me, Melania looks like a deer caught in the headlights most of the time.
I watched Melania give a tour of her home...news or documentary..i don't remember. But she was relaxed, open and charming.

Japanfan

I watched Melania give a tour of her home...news or documentary..i don't remember. But she was relaxed, open and charming.

That wouldn't necessarily refute my pet theory (I recognize it's no more than that). She would be comfortable in her own home - perhaps not so comfortable in the presence of royals and world leaders.

Plus she has to know how badly her husband comes off time, she may not be particularly bright, but she has certainly been schooled in girl manners (which she doesn't always show, like time she wore the T-shirt with words something like "I don't care).

And she had to know how ridiculous he looked in that tuxedo, how out of place he seemed in the company of the royals.

AxelAnnie

That wouldn't necessarily refute my pet theory (I recognize it's no more than that). She would be comfortable in her own home - perhaps not so comfortable in the presence of royals and world leaders.

Plus she has to know how badly her husband comes off time, she may not be particularly bright, but she has certainly been schooled in girl manners (which she doesn't always show, like time she wore the T-shirt with words something like "I don't care).

And she had to know how ridiculous he looked in that tuxedo, how out of place he seemed in the company of the royals.
Ahh....good thought. Although the comfort in her home could be offset by the interviewer and the cameras. She said at one point that she hides Donald's phone from time to time to curb the txting.

Winnipeg

KAte, as always looks fabulous. Loved her dress.

Princess Eugenie's wedding picture was beautiful - she really looked gorgeous.

I liked Melania's white dress and hat but it did look way too tight and she seemed very stiff and uncomfortable.

How do you get one of those blue ribbons?

MLIS

The Queen, Princes Charles, William, and Edward, Princesses Anne and Alexandra, and the Duke of Kent are all wearing the Order of the Garter, the highest order of chivalry in the UK. Camilla, Sophie, and Kate are not members of the Garter, but they have all been made members of the Royal Victorian Order, which is considered the only order where the Queen is completely free to gift it as she chooses, and it usually considered a recognition of her personal esteem (the other orders have political appointments). Camilla and Kate may some day be admitted to the Order of the Garter when their respective spouses become the sovereign, but not likely before that. This was Kate's first appearance with her order, it was given to her in April (on her and William's 8th wedding anniversary).

Most countries have some kind of honours system, and the wearing of them comes with elaborate protocols. This blog has a good explanation:
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/09/royal-splendor-101-sashes-and-stuff.html
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/09/royal-splendor-101-sashes-and-stuff_26.html
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/09/royal-splendor-101-royal-family-orders.html

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Wearing gloves wasn't the problem. The fact that they were all bunched up and wrinkled was my issue with them.

I also missed the bows on Ivanka's dress. No. Just no.
Interestingly enough.........................Check our Marilyn Monroe and lots of other glove wearers .... there are lots of wrinkles here.

Susan1

What is wrong with her gloves? Do they look like that on purpose or are they just too long or too big?

Melania looks fine sometimes and not so much at other times. But I feel like her big problem is that she has no personal style. There is no look that makes you say, "that's so Melania". She apparently has a stylist, but I feel like he is just picking things that are expensive and seem okay for whatever the event is and has not worked with her to find her own style aesthetic. She just doesn't have one.
Why do Melania's clothes always remind me of "Pretty Woman" after the makeover?

aftershocks

Banned Member
What I can't understand is why they gave him this honor.

The royals didn't. It was Theresa May who requested a State Visit/dinner be given to Trump, and some members of Parliament vocally disagreed. Only Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama have been so honored under the current QE-II's reign (in 2003 and 2011 respectively). Once the government makes such a request, the Queen and the royal family do their duty. IMO, May's request has a lot to do with May's worries about Brexit and her fears over Trump's boorish, narcissistic unpredictability, coupled with the British government's urgent need to strike a trade deal with the U.S.

Certainly, the entire Trump crew (adult children and political appointee entourage) were all over Twitter with self-aggrandizing photos. 'Look at us! We bein' feted by royalty!' Alas, proximity to true royalty will never make a silk's purse out of a sow's ear! With apologies to all dignified, intelligent pigs of the animal variety. ;)

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
As for Melania's gloves, maybe she thought she was going to a ball.

I think the long gloves are part of the dress code. Mrs. Obama also wore long white gloves, but I think she looked more stylish and classier than Melania:
http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-c...lle-obama-queen-elizabeth-state-dinner-09.jpg

BTW, Trooping the Colour (QE-II's official birthday celebration) is coming up on Saturday. Prince Louis is expected to make an appearance on BP balcony for the first time. There's also media speculation regarding whether Meghan will appear, coupled with references to Kate having appeared last year at TTC while on maternity leave:
https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a27597613/will-meghan-markle-attend-trooping-the-colour/
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...-birth-trooping-the-colour-public-appearance/

Whatever decision that is made will be personal to Meghan, having nothing to do with what other royal ladies on maternity leave have done in the past. I hope Meghan does not appear this year. Archie is her first child, and it will probably be more fun for Meghan to stay home and continue spending time with Archie a couple of days after his one-month-old milestone. :) In addition, there continues to be undue blather and speculation about Meghan when she hasn't even been seen in public since mid-March, aside from May 8th for several minutes. :drama: The tabloid media and 'nasty' instigators like Piers Morgan simply need to chill.

Meghan can just as easily show her respect and give tribute to her grandmother-in-law, the Queen, on the Sussex Instagram. I'm not even certain there will necessarily be photo-ops when Archie is christened, likely in July. If he's christened at the chapel inside Windsor Castle, it may be kept private, with photographs released afterward, with maybe the names of the godparents. If he's christened at St. George's Chapel (where Harry was christened), then there will probably be brief photo-ops entering and exiting the chapel.

Meanwhile, another indication of unabated interest in the Sussexes: a previously unseen photo taken by Alexi Lubomirski on M&H's wedding day, has surfaced on tumblr:
https://66.media.tumblr.com/5cdbc00e295ac0a419d3e6a0021d7783/tumblr_psn7oyVL6d1rwqf19_1280.jpg

The new Lifetime movie about H&M (Harry & Meghan: Becoming Royal), debuted last weekend. From the reviews I've heard, it was cheesier and less well-cast than the original effort, complete with OTT, laughable scenes and dialogue.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

AxelAnnie

Kate makes a surprise appearance at Beating Retreat:

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/fashio...dleton-catherine-walker-coat-beating-retreat/

https://whatkatewore.com/

The What Kate Wore link has a great description of the event and photos from last year for people who are not familiar with it.

She looks gorgeous.....as always.

I wonder how many people it takes to take care of her clothes............like, what she has, what goes with what, when she wore it last. I hope they have a system :)

PDilemma

She looks gorgeous.....as always.

I wonder how many people it takes to take care of her clothes............like, what she has, what goes with what, when she wore it last. I hope they have a system :)

I want those earrings. My nephew and his fiancee finally have a wedding date. I have a set of pearls, necklace and bracelet that I plan to wear. But the earrings are just single studs. I'm thinking of finding a replica of those for it.

Japanfan

I'm sure there is a system, and Kate would have a team. She's probably got a fashion consultant, seamstress, hairdresser and staff who launder/press her clothes and put them away in the proper place. And several attendants whose duties include laying out her clothes and helping her to dress if needed, among other things.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
https://whatkatewore.com/wp-content...ALASTAIR-GRANT-AFP-Getty-Images-777-x-520.jpg

I think part of the problem with Melania's gloves is that they don't go with what she's wearing re the two different shades of white or off-white, plus the non-traditional sheer design at her neckline. In addition, the gloves are not pulled up all the way on Melania's arms.

There was some comment regarding the woman Kate stopped to shake hands with when they were entering the dining room and passing the guests assembled at tables. I heard that the lady is Steve Mnuchin's wife, Scottish actress, Louise Linton (Kate was accompanied by Steve Mnuchin walking in to dine).

ETA:
TBT (ThowBackThurs): Meghan's beagle Guy was so cute wearing his British flag sweater:
https://dw1ixebl10gex.cloudfront.ne.../8-meghan-markle-dog-with-uk-flag-sweater.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information