UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

Clarice

Ok guys....here is my next report. I saw Nick today,and he worked with me on m swizzles,and showed me some excerizes to do at home to straighen my mussles. I even got to meet a full-fledged senior Ice-Dance Team and compliment them. I can only say that if I can only make it past getting my toes to touch and my on-foot glide, it'd be cool!!! Btw. Nick was hosting a skating clinic. What's the difference between a clinic and learn to skate?

Learn to Skate is usually a series of classes you sign up for, lasting for maybe 8 weeks or so. A clinic is a one-time thing, and is usually geared to people who already have some skills.

FSWer

Ok,thanks. Anyway guys,here's my report from yesturday. I worked with my girl coach and we worked on Spinning,Hopping,Dips and my One-Foot Glide. I even got a complement from a parent on how well I was doing. In the end I got to watch another Ice-Dance Team practice.

FSWer

Ok guys, lol. I know it's been 3 months since I've had anything to post here. As I had to see my girl coach to catch up payments with her. As she's been tide up. Anyway,I just saw her again today,and she was really impressed with me!!! She had me practice my jumps on 2 feet,as well as my 1-foot Glide. I even kept my left foot up for 7 sec.!! I even got to try it,hand in hand with her (one hand holding her hand),and she said I did well,and that I didn't even press down on her!!! She also started me on Stroking. Which she says I did well and caught on to. We also worked on my 2-foot Spin.Which I am improving on. So,it looks like I'm getting there. It surely feels good when I get compliments. My Staff and I also decided to wait until after the Holidays and the New Year to hook back up with my coaches. Due to it being hectic. I sure hope to have more to post soon.

Dana

Shyjosie

Wow, FSWer, that sounds like you had a joyful comeback to the ice!
Keep spirits high and go on!
I'm looking forward to your next reports.

FSWer

Ok guys....I need some help. I am looking into buying new Skates, and Nick suggested Wesco Skate Shop in Brookfield,CT., which my Aid says would be w2hrs from were I am (and I trust you all, so I will tell you that I live in Bristol,CT.). So she has asked me about a Shop that would be closer to me. I asked Nick, and he says my next best bet would be a Sporting Goods Store. But he says that the enployees don't usually know much about fitting Skates....So I was wondering if anyone here knows of a Skate shop closer to me in my area? Thanks.

Skittl1321

Honestly, FSWer- for your level of skating, a sporting goods store is probably OK. Just as long as they have skates in stock that you can try on before you buy them.

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
OMG - I'm so jealous of you and proud of you all at the same time.
I wish I had the courage/time to pursue your skating dreams. I live near a bunch of good rinks, but my job and family take up all my time.
I put my daughter in skating and lived vicariously through her. I was a crazy skating mom who would have done ANYTHING to advance my daughter's career. Luckily, my daughter give up skating to play soccer, and she is much happier. My husband says that I was an embarassment at the rink anyway.
I hope that some day I can take skating lessons too.
Best of luck, and hey....maybe someday we'll be good enough to compete against each other?

Ok,thanks. Anyway guys,here's my report from yesturday. I worked with my girl coach and we worked on Spinning,Hopping,Dips and my One-Foot Glide. I even got a complement from a parent on how well I was doing. In the end I got to watch another Ice-Dance Team practice.

FSWer

Ok guys. I just returned to Rink today and did a warm-up on the Ice until my Girl Coach came, and we worked on Spins... as well as Combinations and my One-Foot Glide (I tried doing it on my own at the start of Public Skate). But, LoL. I think I still need to get used to pointing my toes straight. We also tried some Hand to Hand skating. Which I must say is my favorite move in Ice-Dance!! She also agrees with me that I do VERY WELL in THAT Department (LOL. I think if there were a contest for that move we would win it!!! Say,btw. has anyone here ever tried it besides me? She also worked with me on Gliding with my knees bent in a Sit-Spin position.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCC

FSWer

Ok my friends. Here's my Report from my lesson today (4/27/19....I worked with my Girl Coach again. She worked with me on Spins,Dipping,Hopping on 2-Feet,One-Foot Glides and standing on one foot (LOL I hope I can master it)... She also introduced me to the "T" Glide, and we worked on that as well too...and she said I did very well too!! I also got to watch some Freestyle Skaters,as well as another Ice-Dance Team practicing.

Last edited:

FSWer

Ok guys, here is my lesson report from today (5/25/19).....I met with my girl coach today. We worked on my Spins. As well as my One-Foot Glide. I sure hope to get it down-packed. She also worked with me on Swizzles and reviewed my T-Glide. We also worked on Gliding while squatting. In the end she even asked me if I wanted to see her do some tricks, and she showed me her Spiral and a Shoot the Duck.

Last edited:

FSWer

Ok guys. I just got back from the Rink, and here's my report from July,20th. I saw Nick today,and we worked on putting my toes together for Swizzles. As well as my One-Foot Glide. We also worked on a few tricks to help me with balancing on one foot (putting my feet together and looking up and being tall while gliding). He also says he's very impressed with me. I also saw a Pairs Team practicing,as well as some Freestyle Skaters.

Clarice

That's great! I just started teaching my husband. He's working on one-foot glides, too.

IceSlider

Good luck. I want to start ice dance as soon as I'm done with moves in the field.

You may have your reasons for sequencing ice dance after MiF but you don't have to, they are complimentary., If you wanted to start ice dance, even by learning the steps to the early dances, that would start you on your ice dance journey.

I'm in UK and its not uncommon for ice dancers to do Field Moves (as they're called in UK) along side Pattern Dance and Free Dance tests.

Quite a few people take up ice dance to apply the skills they've learned in field moves in an fun, social and enjoyable way. Even solo dance in an ice dance club, if it's a friendly club, can be hugely motivating and in ice dance, clean foot work and edge quality is all, that can breathe new life into field move practice. :)

FSWer

Ok my friends. I just met with Nick again today,and we worked on some more stretches to improve my balance and posture. As well as some marching. He also did some Off-Ice leg-lifts with me lay on the bench on my back. By lifting both legs up at the same time,counting to 5. Lol. I must admit that laying a bench on my back is not one of my strong points. As I always feel like I will fall off. But he did hold me down. He also gave me some of the stretches to do at home. He says too that I'm improving!!!!

FSWer

Ok my friends...here is my report from the Rink today....Nick and I went out to the Track to do some Off-Ice Training. He worked on stretches with me and gave me some to do at home. He also says that I'm doing better. I will also will be getting a new girl coach sometime in the near future. As my other girl stopped coaching.

FSWer

Ok Friends...here's my report from my trip to the Rink today (11/23/19)....I must say that I had a DOUBLE DOSE of coaching today!!! Nick worked with me on my Swizzles. As well as some off-ice foot excerises to help me do them. He also did some more arm and body stretches with me,to help my posture.
I also got to work with my new Girl coach along with him too. They both worked together with me on my 2-Foot Glide,as well as my 1-Foot. They held me up,and I held one foot up for 10 sec.
Nick says I'm progressing and also suggested to me that I go to the Rink twice a month (1 time to practice and 1 time for lesson) to help me progress even more. I hope to progress even more in 2020.

FSWer

Ok guys,here's my Rink Report from today....Nick worked with me on turning my toes in and out for Swizzles. We also did some Off-Ice Training to help me get stronger. I also thought you guys might like to see a list of the Off-Ice Training excerises that I do. They are...
1= Turning my feet out 10 times.
2= Practicing marching chin up.
3= Toe touches 3x's for 10sec. (bending down to touch my toes and keeping my knees straight).
4= A T-stretch for 30 sec. (stretching my arms out like a T).
5= An Overhead stretch for 30sec. (holding both my arms up over my head.
6= Circling each arm clockwise and counter 15x.
7= putting one hand on the wall with my fingers behind for 30sec.
8= stretching my body on the floor for 30sec.
9= left foot over right and right over left while touching my toes.
10= An d leg knee lifts to see how high I can lift my knees.
Does anybody else here do these? I also met with Nick and my girl coach at the end and they took some photos of me for my progress to see how for I've come in a month.

Reactions: KCC

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information