CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

starrynight

Maybe they can also have another female hockey player like they had with David Pelletier? They were a cool match.

Great idea. I hope they do to balance it out a bit.

Not sure how I feel about hockey players at the moment after seeing that dreadful fight where a player was knocked unconscious. All seems totally toxic to me and the last thing you’d be wanting kids to want to emulate.

Last edited:

jmtfti

Emily Samuelson is in finance, Paige Lawrence is living in Texas and about to begin work as an executive performance coach, and Alexandra Paul will be in her final year of law school. But Jessica Dube has been skating consistently on the cruise circuit and with Vanessa Crone's hockey skating training, I could see her in the potential pool as well.

And yeah, Meagan seems guaranteed.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
This show was SO much fun! I went to a taping when Amanda Evora was on the show (thankfully she was safe so I got to actually see her and Scott skate that night, LOL) and it was such a fun experience. I can't wait to hear more about the cast and the judges! :cheer:

Scrufflet

I went to several of these shows each of the 4 years and it was a terrific experience. It will be interesting to see if Sandra gets an international cast (hope so). That can make for some fabulous skating. Gordeeva was wonderful with Bure. Oddball casting - Kasikova (Dmitriev's second gold medal partner) was the strangest; she didn't have a clue about the show and engaged nobody. Got voted off early to no one's surprise. I would love to see Meryl/Charlie/Tanith come up; maybe that would get the American networks interested?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The US had "Skating With Celebrities", but since hockey isn't as big a deal in the US as it is in Canada, I would be really surprised if a US network picked up this show. There didn't seem to be much interest in buying it when it was on before, even though other CBC shows have been bought by US networks (e.g. Murdoch Mysteries, the most recent version of Anne of Green Gables).

Colonel Green

The US had "Skating With Celebrities", but since hockey isn't as big a deal in the US as it is in Canada, I would be really surprised if a US network picked up this show. There didn't seem to be much interest in buying it when it was on before, even though other CBC shows have been bought by US networks (e.g. Murdoch Mysteries, the most recent version of Anne of Green Gables).
Probably if it gets any international distribution it will be put on Netflix for some token amount.

Anemone

I am looking forward to this. I enjoyed the previous seasons for the fun show that it was, and hope that continues.
Somebody (Shae- Lynn & Patrice I think? ) did Monster Mash for the halloween episode one season, and I think that is still one of my favourite programs from the show.

Last edited:

starrynight

Is it the job of the ‘pro’ skater to choreograph the routines for the team? Or do they have external choreography?

yfbg722

Here's an idea. I'd love to see Dylan and Eric do the show together so I went looking for female hockey players. Wouldn't it be cool if they got Gillian Apps and Meghan Duggan, both very successful female hockey players who just happen to be married to each other? I'm so excited it's coming back. Can't wait to hear cast announcements. I'm just sad I no longer live in the Toronto area. I used to go to every taping.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Is Kristi Yamaguchi still skating? She could be a good addition. Also Natalia Mishkutenok.

I would love to see Volosozhar in this show.

Scrufflet

Something that might be of interest: Georges Laraque was paired with Annabelle Langlois one year. Despite the fact that they had a local hospital on speed dial, he emerged from the whole experience loving pairs skating and took it up as a hobby. I don't know if it lasted but it would be cool to see him come back with improvements and see how he does. Personally I was glad they got voted off because I wasn't sure they would make it to the end inone piece. His costume for Halowe'en was the Best. What a scary dude!

coppertop1

I also remember Marie-France and Bryan Berard in season two. Bryan didn't look anything like a figure skater but he learned to move like one, especially when he and M-F danced to "I can't help falling in love with you"

Anemone

I seem to remember seeing an interview piece with PJ Stock after he was on Battle of the Blades and he said something about continuing to skate on his figure skates, that he had taken a liking to them over hockey skates or something to that effect.

victoriajh

trying to ignore rod and find the eurosport feed
My favourite number on that show.
That, and basically everything Katia and Val Bure did. They were in a complete league of their own on the show.
as was katia in the russian ice age...she makes everyone look like a pro!! i doubt she will do it again but boy i would love it if she did..did not miss one episode with her ... and I managed to find a good youtube stream for her russian tv ice age....

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information