Fire in Notre Dame Cathedral

ballettmaus

What CNN is saying is not encouraging: wood on the inside and a structure that holds in heat on the outside. The Chicago Tribune also tweeted that the falling spire brought the fire inside and that all of Notre Dame was burning. :(

Lorac

I didn't realise the roof was totally wooden - that explains why the fire took hold so quickly. It appears that some of the French media feel it will be totally destroyed except for the 2 towers - utterly devastating. I visited Notre-Dame over 35 years ago and I remember being awestruck by the power and majesty of it - and I am not at all religious. It is so utterly sad - words can't really explain how I feel :(

MsZem

I see the sea
I didn't realise the roof was totally wooden - that explains why the fire took hold so quickly. It appears that some of the French media feel it will be totally destroyed except for the 2 towers - utterly devastating. I visited Notre-Dame over 35 years ago and I remember being awestruck by the power and majesty of it - and I am not at all religious. It is so utterly sad - words can't really explain how I feel :(
At this point, I hope that the towers at least will indeed remain. It looks horrible.

All that history, everything that cathedral survived. Gone :(

skateboy

So terrible. MSNBC keeps showing the picture of the spire falling to the ground and every time my heart just feels a thud.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I seriously feel like crying. I haven't been to Paris yet, but when I studied the French language in high school, I was always fascinated with the flying buttresses on the outside of the cathedral. I always wanted to visit it.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
Completely devastated. My co-worker came and told me as soon as she found out, because of my connections to France. Now I'm watching the live coverage, and just can't believe it.

I'm thankful for the many chances I've had to visit the cathedral over the years.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
There are 400 workers going in the Cathedral by small groups to try and rescue whatever they can according to French news.

Lorac

One of the towers is now on fire. This is so devastating :fragile:

Not sure that is true - I think someone saw the flames through the windows that were from behind the tower. Watching the BBC live reporting and the Towers don't look like they are burning. One can only hope they survive.

MsZem

I see the sea
I read that the interior is likely gone. The question is what will remain of the exterior, and what can be salvaged.

Eyewitnesses are reporting that the firefighters appear to be getting things under control. Please let this be true.

Trump tweeted they should use flying water tankers and further offered the advice that they “should act quickly.” :rolleyes:
French authorities respond: bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information