NCAA Gymnastics

LarrySK8

For those who have the SEC Network, there’s massive NCAA gymnastics on tonight! :D

6:00-7:30pm EST: Arkansas at Kentucky
7:30-9:00pm EST: Alabama at Georgia
9:00-10:30pm EST: Florida at LSU
Alabama v Georgia is always good! Florida v LSU - LSU will try to beat a great Florida team - isn't Mary Lou's daughter at LSU?

ilovepaydays

Final: Kentucky 195.275, Arkansas 193.875.

Time for Alabama at Georgia. What has happened to these two teams? Georgia is now ranked #10 and Alabama is now only #17? :confused:

skipaway

- isn't Mary Lou's daughter at LSU?
Yes, McKenna Kelly. She had an Achilles’ tendon injury last year and was supposed to make her comeback last week, but tweaked her ankle in floor warmups so they pulled her. Not sure if she’s competing this week.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
:wall: I keep forgetting that Friday is NCAA gym night. I need a reminder!

Aceon6

I tried to watch Ohio State/Penn State last night, but it just confirmed what a bad fan I am. The drop off from top 10 teams to top 20 teams is ridiculously steep. Add in some overscoring and the event wasn’t that enjoyable for me.

Rob

Beach Bum
McKenna did compete. Sarah Finnegan looked great, and Trinity Thomas is just a dream gymnast. But my dvr Cur off before the last 2 routines of each team. Rachel Gowey looked great too.

ETA, just watched Edney, Finnegan on floor, and Thomas, Baumann on beam. Edney was a bit sloppy so I think that gave it to FL. The rest looked great.

Last edited:

Lucy25

The SEC Channel seriously rocks. Three meets last Fri and another three this coming Fri! Then, both the B10 Network and BYU Network both have meets scheduled this coming weekend, too. Coverage is amazing. I cannot believe how fabulous the gymnastics has been only a couple weeks in. My fav is LSU, but I cannot deny Florida this year (Trinity Thomas!!). It will be interesting to see who ends up as AA champ this year. I know Kyla Ross has the rep, but I favor Mykayla Skinner because of her difficulty. My absolute fav is Sarah Finnegan for her incredible technique, but I don’t think she can beat the other two. Michigan has an incredible new freshman, too, named Natalie Wojcik. So many good ones out there. Happy to see Mckenna Kelly back on Fri.

Erin

Banned Member
I tried to watch Ohio State/Penn State last night, but it just confirmed what a bad fan I am. The drop off from top 10 teams to top 20 teams is ridiculously steep. Add in some overscoring and the event wasn’t that enjoyable for me.

Penn State had a rough meet, but I thought that Ohio State looked pretty good - better than, say, Georgia and Alabama have looked in some of their outings. The comment about overscoring surprises me though - I'd say the scoring here was tougher than you would see at any of the SEC or PAC 12 meets. It's something I find frustrating about going to the Minnesota meets - the scoring there is so much tougher than what you would see in some other conferences. Maybe the answer is that the scoring in the Big 10 is the way it should be and the SEC and PAC 12 should bring theirs down, but that's never going to happen...

Rob

Beach Bum
Is Maggie Nichols injured? I saw her limp off FX during the GA meet, and she didn't compete this week.

Lucy25

Forgot about Maggie 😱. That’s another one to watch for AA. Glad it’s not a serious injury!

barbk

Michigan has an incredible new freshman, too, named Natalie Wojcik.

Thank you! I found the YouTube videos and Natalie is good. (The commentator, however, ought to be told to quit yabbering throughout the entire routine. Added to that, she had an awful voice. Ugh.)

Not too sure about those Michigan leotards. The bejeweling of the boobage makes a lot of the women look bulky in the boobs, and not in a good way.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Time for Alabama at Georgia. What has happened to these two teams? Georgia is now ranked #10 and Alabama is now only #17? :confused:

It's a different era post-Yoculan/Patterson, and they don't seem to be attracting the same level of recruits as in their heyday. The level of parity in the SEC has also really increased in just the last two years. Teams like Missouri weren't even close to the same ballpark when I first watched them, now they can hold their own on a good day and take advantage of mistakes by top teams.

Aceon6

I wonder if more level 10 athletes who might have quit when they started high school are staying in making the pool much stronger. NCAA gym is a big deal and there’s lots of scholarship money out there.

Lara

For those with VPN (or who actually live outside North America), I didn't realize the Pac12 International YouTube stream was free now. Likely a better option if you can get it than the Reddit links.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tHLXGCNCwc
Schedules:
https://pac-12.com/article/2018/11/16/pac-12-announces-2018-19-winter-gymnastics-television-schedule
https://pac-12.com/womens-gymnastics/schedule

And the full weekly schedule:
https://usagym.org/pages/home/college/2019/weeklyschedule.html
Will be tough to keep up this weekend with US Nats though.

Lucy25

Thank you! I found the YouTube videos and Natalie is good. (The commentator, however, ought to be told to quit yabbering throughout the entire routine. Added to that, she had an awful voice. Ugh.)

Not too sure about those Michigan leotards. The bejeweling of the boobage makes a lot of the women look bulky in the boobs, and not in a good way.
Bejeweling of the boobage! 😂 Perfect!

Lara

Oklahoma vs Florida tonight! Help to watch:

1) If you don't have Fox College Sports Pacific on TV, it may be available on the FoxSports Go app/website. Log in with your cable provider.
2) Both www.fubo.tv and www.directvnow.com carry the FCS channels in an extra sports package, and you can have a week's trial. Just make sure to cancel before you're charged.
3) If you can wait, there's a good chance the meet will be uploaded to YouTube - check out user https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc0bw8SzE1UAbZi2PdbunZQ. You can also search "Oklahoma Florida" and filter for uploads from this week with length over 20 min.
4) Should YouTube not come though www.soonersports.tv has the meets on demand (I don't think they stream live but worth checking). It's $10 for a monthly premium subscription.

Looking forward to this one!

Last edited:

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
ROFLMAO!

I was a low-level high school gymnast who attended/graduated from Michigan but was nowhere near good enough to be on the team. I envied them and loved watching them compete while I was in college. At best, all I could be was an athletic supporter.

If I were good enough to be on the team, I probably would have bejeweled my boobs too.

alexikeguchi

I just had the pleasure of watching Katelyn Ohashi’s floor routine live in Norman OK, and even a number of Sooner fans paused from cheering the home team to take their own cellphone videos. She is completely amazing in person... She has such lightness and spring. Score is tied after three rotations following OU’s weak beam rotation, and I think UCLA is going to win. I’m totally enjoying myself at this meet regardless.

ETA the Sooners pulled it out after all with a huge comeback on floor and a somewhat mediocre beam performance by UCLA. Neither team got their highest score but looked strong nonetheless, and the crowd really appreciated this event. At the end, KJ Kindler announced that over 10,000 attended, roughly twice the prior record.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Will PACs be streamed? I’m anxious to see Ohashi’s new floor routine sans Michael Jackson music and moves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information