Robin Szolkowy: "The adventure is totally thrilling", Freie Presse, Chemnitz

text_skate

There is a totally adoarble picture of Robin and his little family. I like the tone of the interview, it has quite some news in it. Therefore I'd like to share. Translated with the help of DeepL Translator.

Robin Szolkowy: "The adventure is totally thrilling"

Please click on the original: https://www.freiepresse.de/sport/robin-szolkowy-das-abenteuer-reizt-mich-total-artikel10475984

Figure skating: The former world-class pair skater from Chemnitz is facing a new professional challenge in the USA.

Together with Aljona Savchenko, Robin Szolkowy determined the pair skating level worldwide for a decade until 2014. The duo from Chemnitz won two Olympic bronze medals, five world championships and four European championships. At the end of his career, the 39-year-old switched to the coaching profession. From April he will be working in California. Martina Martin spoke with him.

Freie Presse: Where are you following the current World Figure Skating Championships in Japan?

Robin Szolkowy: This time only from a distance, because the schedule didn't fit. We've only been in the USA since Thursday. It's already unusual for me, because I've been there continuously since 2005, until 2014 as a skater, then always as a coach.

How are the first days in the USA going?

We are settling in. The house where we live in Irvine was completely empty except for the kitchen and the fridge. On the way from the airport, for which we had a rental car, we first bought some necessary things in a supermarket, a kind of camping equipment. Everything else comes little by little.

You lived with your family in Zurich. Did you give up everything there completely?

As far as living is concerned, yes. Fortunately we found a new tenant. It's the French trainer, who in turn takes over my previous tasks at the Küsnacht ice skating club. We spent the last two weeks before our departure in my parents-in-law's holiday apartment in the Swiss mountains. After the intensive chaos months in which we had to organize everything, this was a somewhat relaxed and wonderful time with the family.

What proved to be particularly difficult in this phase?

Especially all the formalities. For the work visa I had to submit a whole book. A lot of documents were needed to get it. Already in September I started to organize and collect necessary certificates, applications, letters of recommendation, proofs of work, licenses, also newspaper articles about my career, photos and much more. A lot of time went by until the approval.

How long are you planning to work in the USA?

I don't want to commit myself there. The work visa, to which the family is linked, is valid for three years. You can then extend it relatively stress-free for another year. I have to see how everything develops. In any case, I have not broken off my previous connections; for example, I am still planning training camps in Europe.

Can you describe your field of activity in more detail?

In the ice sports complex in Irvine near Los Angeles, which is also the training facility of the NHL Club Anaheim Ducks and was completely new, I am forming a coaching team with the former successful USA pair skaters Jenni Meno and Todd Sand as well as ice dance expert Christin Binder. We want to set up groups for pairs and individual races, but we are also open internationally and could also take over the supervision for short periods of time. Our concept is that all age and performance classes can come to us. So it should be possible to accompany runners from their beginning in childhood to professional level.

What prompted you to make this change?

It is certainly an adventure for me, but above all a totally exciting challenge. I have the opportunity to build something from scratch, to contribute my ideas, and to decide from the start which direction to take. I'm really looking forward to these tasks and I'm glad that it's finally starting on April 1st.

Are there any athletes on site yet?

There are already couples, for example Alexa and Chris Knierim, who trained with Aljona for a short time. We did a lot of advertising, over the internet or with conversations at different championships or events. I think that won't be a problem, also because the conditions and the all-round support are simply the best. There are four ice rinks under one roof, we are allowed to use the weight room of the ice hockey cracks. Parents can watch the training from a restaurant and the children can also do their homework in the building.

Was it difficult to win the family for the project?

Not at all. My wife Romy, who speaks perfect English, thought it was cool from the start and was involved in all the activities. And our Henry, who is now three and a half years old, also handles it well. He already understands what is happening, deals with it. He had his farewell party in the kindergarten, is now curious. As a guy who approaches people openly, everything will fit.

How did this commitment actually come about?

During my time in Moscow, where I had been working in the team of coaching legend Nina Moser since 2014, we completed a pair skating camp in the USA in the summer of 2017. That was when I was first asked whether I could imagine wearing an American jacket as well. Then followed contacts with the sports director of the association, again and again conversations on different occasions. It was a creeping process, which I myself did not push forward at all. At first it was also clear that I would fulfil my contract in Moscow until the 2018 Olympics.

Could you have stayed in Russia?

That was settled by the decision that the Russian federation would not pay any more coaches from abroad. There might also have been opportunities through sponsors. But there was also a general restructuring in the team, so that we ended our cooperation, but want to stay in touch. In the long run, it was not an option for the future for us as a family - simply because of the language. But after the four years I wanted to reorient myself anyway.

What other directions did your thoughts take?

In the meantime, I also worked as a trainer in Switzerland. There I was also offered the opportunity to build something up. But since there were hardly any opportunities in pair skating, which I know best, I don't know if I would have been happy. I also thought about returning to Chemnitz. This is complicated by the base system (Stützpunktsystem), there was also a lack of security. In the summer we spent four weeks in the USA, looked at conditions in Colorado, Florida and California. We were particularly taken with Irvine. That's when we made our decision.

You are still the 1st chairman of the Chemnitz Ice Skating Club, for which you started almost 20 years ago.

I have to give up the honorary office. I've noticed since I moved to Switzerland that it's difficult when you're hardly ever there. Nevertheless, I always tried to support the club, to contribute ideas or to give advice. Of course I am still available for the Chemnitz club.

Since the end of your career, you have always emphasised that you want to try out a few things before you commit yourself to a career. Have you now found your passion?

Working as a trainer is the most important thing to me, that's where I can unfold, contribute and develop. I got to know different systems and different facets, gained experience everywhere. I have reached a good level, I feel a lot of recognition in the figure skating profession. So I am on the ISU's list of candidates for the Technical Commission for Pairs Skating. I would say that I have now arrived - and yet I am very excited about what is to come.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks for sharing this interview with the translation. It's interesting to learn these details about Robin's and his family's experience of making this move. I understand about the work visa process and how intensive and time-consuming that can be since I've worked in immigration law. The description of how Robin was approached by U.S. fed officials when he first spent time assisting at summer training camps in the U.S. with Nina Mozer, is also interesting. The interview provides a lot of understanding about how the U.S. fed interest evolved, and eventually resulted in Robin joining Meno/Sand and Christine Binder at the training facility in Irvine, CA.

In addition to the Knierims, Calalang/Johnson also train in Meno/Sand's group. Wishing all the athletes involved in this new collaboration much success and valuable progress in reaching their training and competition goals. And kudos to all the coaches too! I hope that Robin and his family enjoy settling into their new California digs over the coming months. :)

I don't know a lot about Christine Binder. Here's a video interview of Binder speaking to Ted Barton, and explaining her work as President of PSA (Professional Skater's Association). I wonder if she's still working with the PSA, in addition to coaching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4ydp5pOMY

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information