From Russia With Love (No 32): Spring to Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Thank you! Great guy, awesome movie.
In the voice part he also invites people to write/to share what it means for them to be "The Highest. The Furthest. The Fastest".

PS: Tuktamysheva takes the challenge and repeats the motto "The Highest. The Furthest. The Fastest".
https://www.instagram.com/p/Buq9_EBnhvE/

:D ... good! because The Highest. The Furthest. The Fastest... certainly does not include "TAT politics" and "pushy sponsors"..

Last edited:

Candela

Long time lurker here, zero skills at quotes.

Tinami, your explication of Mishin’s comparison between the council’s vote and Pasternak’s experience is quite interesting, and provides a rare glimpse (for me) into another culture’s mindset.

May I ask—who, or what set of factors, do you believe determines the current ‘party line’ in the esoteric world of figure skating?

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Long time lurker here, zero skills at quotes.

Tinami, your explication of Mishin’s comparison between the council’s vote and Pasternak’s experience is quite interesting, and provides a rare glimpse (for me) into another culture’s mindset.

May I ask—who, or what set of factors, do you believe determines the current ‘party line’ in the esoteric world of figure skating?
Such situation don’t require a “party line”, it is universal and happens in any structure where there is a hierarchy and an issue to vote on. The top tier has its own agenda and tries to influence the lower tier. If the lower tier has nothing personal to lose, they are not much concerned with the fairness of the vote, and support the top tier’s decision, in order to avoid negative consequences/repercussions to themselves.

Any former Soviet, and now Russian, sports federation’s “party line” was and is “to produce best results, win medals, and make the country proud”.

In the soviet days and until recently good results (medals, quotas, etc.) meant bigger budgets, financial funds for the federation from the Government. Which meant for the officials they can have better salaries, conditions, travel and perks.

The coaches and minor officials played their own games, each pushing their own skaters and agenda, through politics, merits and any means possible, but the Federation's officials main goal was "results" and that meant "to send best skater" in most cases (because their own welfare depended on medals and results).

After 2014 many popular sports started to become more commercialized, and federations started to receive money from private sponsors and corporations, not just from the Government. Figure Skating is more and more popular in Russia since 2014 Olympics, and money and sponsorships are bigger and bigger, and they make demands.

Rostelecom for example, signed a contract for 2018/2019 season, and now a major sponsor of Russian Figure Skating Federation, with official status of “co-partner of the Federation”, which cost them 95.7 million rubles, plus additional 57.7 million rubles, which is 153.4 million rubles (in USD $2,330,000.00) and that’s just officially.

https://rns.online/sports-economy/R...go-kataniya-Rossii-100-mln-rublei-2018-02-26/

Of course, for such money, the sponsor wants “ratings” and ratings often have nothing to do with “merit of the sport”. A scandal, a favorite personality, an intrigue, etc., bring ratings.

In USSR the party line was “make Russia number one in sports, and if you do, you’ll get a car, an apartment, and get to travel abroad”.

Now the party line is, in addition, “make big money from sources other than government”… :lol:

... and that's just the "Federation part" since you asked me. There are other interests taking place, that have to do with sponsorship of and investment into a specific athlete, personal egos and games between coaches, journalists, officials, etc..;)

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Mishin would know something about politicking, of course. "Closed test skate," anyone? They could have gone that route again...:slinkaway

What goes around comes around...
And don't forget what happened to Lozko and Nugumanova "that season" and future careers.. ;)

In Mishin's defense i must say that ALL coaches play games and seek leverage because they honestly believe their skater is the best and deserves... it would be unnatural if they did not.

In "this situation" Mishin was not up against another coach's interests... He lost out to private interests that have nothing to do with the sport itself.. And it looks now, like he lost out even before he entered the game, which started back in 2017 pre-olympic season.

.... and then the "not so secret" meeting with the Minister of Sports of Russian Federation, which accidentally did not escape the eye of watchful media, so it became official... :D but of course with just a "general meeting" twist.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Br2yBSvhDu1/?utm_source=ig_embed

Last edited:

Bigbird

I would love to see Soloviev back. If this is true, hopefully Ilinyk's alleged past of not working to potential in training is over and done with.

I think Zhulin would never even mention it or contemplate training them if she hadn't matured somewhat. Soloviev is a hard worker but he also learns fast, so she had better be prepared to match him on both accounts.

Tinami Amori

I think Zhulin would never even mention it or contemplate training them if she hadn't matured somewhat. Soloviev is a hard worker but he also learns fast, so she had better be prepared to match him on both accounts.
He already addressed that question in Dec. 2018.
https://rsport.ria.ru/20181214/1547980516.html

- Бывшая партнерша Кацалапова Елена Ильиных тренируется у вас на катке в паре с вашим танцором Дмитрием Соловьевым. Это не вносит дискомфорт в вашу работу с основным дуэтом?
- Лена с Димой и Никита с Викой катаются на разных льдах. Это сделано специально, более того, заранее обговаривалось с Димой.
- А если новый дуэт захочет выступать не только в шоу, но и в соревнованиях, пойдете навстречу?
- У нас с Соловьевым на эту тему тоже был разговор, но я, если можно так сказать, взял рекламную паузу. Сказал, что мы можем вернуться к обсуждению этой темы не раньше того, как закончится нынешний сезон.

Q: Former partner of your skater Katsalapov, Elena Ilinykh, is now training at your rink with your dancer Dmitry Soloviev. Is it causing any discomfort in the work place with your main dance team (Sin/Kat)?
Z: Lena and Dima (Dmitry) and Vika and Nikita are training on different ice (rink). It is set up this way intentionally, and more so, Dima and i discussed it.
Q: And what if a new team (I/S) decides to not only skate in shows but in competitions, will you accommodate?
Z: I had a conversation with Soloviev about that also, but i, let's put it this way, took a commercial break (postponed my decision). I told that we can return to this conversation not earlier than the end of this season (2018/2019).

caseyedwards

You can’t just blame bobrova for b/s being the least successful Russian number one dance team ever and choking at two Olympics! They were both part of a truly awful team in an awful system and need to go away forever

Bigbird

You can’t just blame bobrova for b/s being the least successful Russian number one dance team ever and choking at two Olympics! They were both part of a truly awful team in an awful system and need to go away forever

Well you could also throw in Zhulin's inability to give any team ever two decent programs in one season.

Tinami Amori

... so please send your message to Zhulin's office directly, and spare us all the 1000x nagging session.

[email protected]
(7-499) 179-39-64

lala

Mishin would know something about politicking, of course. "Closed test skate," anyone? They could have gone that route again...:slinkaway

What goes around comes around...

You are right. But you don't forget Putin in the background. He knew everything even the competition's happenings in Sochi. This is not just rumour

Rina RUS

:D ... good! because The Highest. The Furthest. The Fastest... certainly does not include "TAT politics" and "pushy sponsors"..
In Mishin's defense i must say that ALL coaches play games and seek leverage because they honestly believe their skater is the best and deserves... it would be unnatural if they did not.
LOL. These are two posts by one person. Your war is ridiculous, Tinami Amori! :watch:

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Stanislava Konstantinova gave a short interview after her 2nd place finish after the SP, at Universade Games.
She states that she is skating with a permanent ankle injury, and that she is sorry to not be on the Worlds Team, but very happy to be out of the news and the hype around it.
details:
https://m.sport-express.ru/universi...stila-svoe-mesto-na-chempionate-mira-1520806/

- Моя травма голеностопа? Она идет еще с лета. Это хроническая травма – всегда болит, всегда в тейпах, терплю. Это естественно, все спортсмены проходят через это, сейчас соревновательный сезон, идут тренировки, пока не до лечения. Займусь им после Универсиады, когда будет небольшой перерыв. (Егор Бычков)

- My injury of the ankle? It inflamed earlier this past Summer. It is a chronic injury - always in pain, always taped up, i am enduring it (but i can handle it). This is normal, all athletes go through this, the competition season is on, we're training, it is not the right time to go into treatment. I will worry about it after Universade, when there is a small break.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Last edited:

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Could she just be having an attack of Osgood-Schlatters? That involves the ligament between the patella and tibia. Or shin splints? I had a terrible case and could barely walk for over a week. Glad Alena is enjoying the competition so she doesn't focus on Jr.Worlds.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

@caseyedwards powers of understatement never cease to amaze me.
I just wish for once he'd stop sitting on the fence and show a strong opinion about something ;)

Mad for Skating

He is saying that he now has a new role model, who gave him a challenge (a motto) to live his life by:

Врываюсь в челлендж от Бри Ларсон (да-да, та самая Капитан Марвел) и рассказываю всем, что для меня значит «Выше. Дальше. Быстрее». Этот девиз о ежедневном героизме, когда ты, несмотря на обстоятельства, отговорки, оправдания, несешься к своей цели на сверхзвуковой, а когда силы заканчиваются, говоришь: «Нет, это ещё не всё, погнали по новой».

Taking on a challenge from Brie Larson (yes-yes, that very one, from Captain Marvel). I am sharing with everyone, what it means for me (to become) "The Highest. The Furthest. The Fastest". This is the motto for the daily heroism, when you, regardless of obstacles, denials, excuses, is dashing towards your goal on a supersonic power; and when your strength are depleted, you still say "No, this is not the end! Start again/keep going".

Thank you for the translation! I was trying to figure it out myself and couldn’t manage 😀

There is a lot of excitement taken place on Russian chats. They say Elena Ilinykh is planning to team up with Soloviev, and skate competitively...:skandal :watch:

Ah, didn’t this rumor come out months ago? I would love to see this though.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Alena Kostornaya, while on med leave, went to Universade as a spectator, with Sergey Rozanov (as a guardian).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Buv4-wGn5il/

... good idea! better than staying home and thinking about the missed JW. She is walking and wearing normal shoes, so her injury is likely not a fracture.

SP JW ladies fotos (the dog has matching dress).
https://vk.com/eteritutberidze?z=photo-97272391_456279156/wall-97272391_139057
That dog has a better wardrobe than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information