Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafter

In The Skating Lesson thread in the Trash Can someone posted that in the recent TSL mocking review of the Tessa Virtue Tour (I mean the Thank You Canada Tour ;)) that it was mentioned (I’m assuming by Lease) that Bruno Marcotte and Meagan Duhamel are relocating to Florida for coaching positions. This is very interesting if true (and I don’t doubt that it is because Meagan and Dave Lease are buddies).

TSL

What I said in the video was the word offer, which most coaches, choreographers and top skaters receive throughout the year frequently. Many rinks and rink owners are always trying to recruit top talent. What I did NOT say, was that they are going there. This has been misconstrued by this thread. We discussed that we hoped it would happen because it is an amusing idea, but with Meagan thanking Canada and Bruno coaching with Richard in Montreal, I don't think anyone actually believes it would happen (considering that Jim has also operated as lone wolf for many years). Imagine Deanna and Meagan on the same rink together. That's a lot of talking.

They have tons of students in Montreal. When I mentioned it, it was as a joke of someone making Jim less intense (Meagan has been seen on the beach), but we did not intend this to be twisted into speculation as such. When I said it, I thought it sounded rather preposterous and fit with the entire over the top nature of The Thank You Canada Tour and the episode at large.

Rafter

What I said in the video was the word offer, which most coaches, choreographers and top skaters receive throughout the year frequently. Many rinks and rink owners are always trying to recruit top talent. What I did NOT say, was that they are going there. This has been misconstrued by this thread. We discussed that we hoped it would happen because it is an amusing idea, but with Meagan thanking Canada and Bruno coaching with Richard in Montreal, I don't think anyone actually believes it would happen (considering that Jim has also operated as lone wolf for many years). Imagine Deanna and Meagan on the same rink together. That's a lot of talking.

They have tons of students in Montreal. When I mentioned it, it was as a joke of someone making Jim less intense (Meagan has been seen on the beach), but we did not intend this to be twisted into speculation as such. When I said it, I thought it sounded rather preposterous and fit with the entire over the top nature of The Thank You Canada Tour and the episode at large.

Thanks for clarifying!

barbarafan

Yeah, I'd assume it's reliable.

Seeing as almost all Canadian pairs train under Marcotte, it'll be interesting to see how many (if any) follow him south.
No Bruno works with Gauthier at Gauthier's rink on most of the pairs. He doesn't have that many at his rink and he has quite a few single skaters. His younger skaters would all still be in school so I don't see the likelihood of them relocating.

barbarafan

So the lesson here might be to watch what you say when you think you are being clever but really you are just stating shi**t. As well you need to check out your sources with a lot more care. You sometimes repeat things as if they are facts but the person who for some weird reason you trusted fed you a bunch of BS when they have a horse in the race and it was their to benefit themselves that you were told BS which you swallowed and spewed.

ChiquitaBanana

This is very interesting if true (and I don’t doubt that it is because Meagan and Dave Lease are buddies).

I cannot even think of a move anywhere , even less outside of the country. Bruno Marcotte is a true man of honor and I cannot see what would bring him to Florida at this stage (even if we know the rumour is not true) Money is not a bait in this case. Marcotte came back to Quebec to work with Richard and take over eventually. Richard doesn't work much with the junior teams these days.

Japanfan

What I said in the video was the word offer, which most coaches, choreographers and top skaters receive throughout the year frequently. Many rinks and rink owners are always trying to recruit top talent. What I did NOT say, was that they are going there. This has been misconstrued by this thread.

In The Skating Lesson thread in the Trash Can someone posted that in the recent TSL mocking review of the Tessa Virtue Tour (I mean the Thank You Canada Tour ;)) that it was mentioned (I’m assuming by Lease) that Bruno Marcotte and Meagan Duhamel are relocating to Florida for coaching positions. This is very interesting if true (and I don’t doubt that it is because Meagan and Dave Lease are buddies).

I don't watch TSL. But from what Rafter said was said on TSL, Bruno and Meagan are making the move.

Japanfan

Must come down to money?

This is discouraging news for those up and comers who NEED the support that being on the National Team provides.

Think of a team like S&F who likely won't finish in the top 3 for a while? Or someone like Conrad Orzel, Phan, or Sadovsky who are all young, solid skaters... but will likely be edged out by Messing, Nam & Gogolev for the next while... Just doesn't make sense to me.

It is not just about needing the support, it is about earning it through placement. Skate Canada is not a charity.

especially because gogolev won't even be able to compete on teh sr grand prix for a while - it's very discouraging to the other skaters if they're not funded

But Gogolev earned his spot on the national team, as did Messing, Nam, Phan and Orzel.

When a skater wins Junior Canadian Nationals, he/she moves up to seniors. This is a recognition and arguably offers the skater an opportunity to progress that he/she might not otherwise have. And if he/she finishes top five at Senior Nationals, he/she earns a spot on the National team. It just so happens that a 14-year old surprisingly earned a spot on the national team. This is an exception to the norm and who knows if he'll survive his growth spurt. If 14 year olds frequently made the national team and then failed to fulfill their promise after puberty, the rules might change. But, this is not a frequent occurrence.

No matter what rules apply to being a member of the national team and getting funding, there will always be only so many spots on the national team. And the majority of competitors at Nationals will not make the national team.

Discouragement is part of being an athlete, unfortunately. But there are also athletes for whom Nationals is as high as they are going to go, and they are often just happy to be there.

So what doesn't make sense to you? Do you think Messing, Nam and Gogolev should not be edging out Orzel, Phan and Sadovsky even if the former three skate better than the latter three?

Last edited:

insideedgeua

So the lesson here might be to watch what you say when you think you are being clever but really you are just stating shi**t. As well you need to check out your sources with a lot more care. You sometimes repeat things as if they are facts but the person who for some weird reason you trusted fed you a bunch of BS when they have a horse in the race and it was their to benefit themselves that you were told BS which you swallowed and spewed.

This! So many things are twisted and repeated as fact! Not necessarily by TSL directly, but by people interpreting things that are said there.

Be clear, be direct, be concise and make the difference between jokes or speculation and facts very obvious.

It may not be intentional but surely we’ve seen enough evidence of where such speculation can lead.

I know we can all indulge in a bit of ‘what if’ at times, but let’s try to be clearer about what if fact and what is just in our minds.

Rafter

I don't watch TSL. But from what Rafter said was said on TSL, Bruno and Meagan are making the move.

I have not seen the TSL episode where it was mentioned. I am referring to a post in The Trash Can where someone said Lease said it.

barbarafan

No doubt TSL joining FSU to comment on this topic was likely due to Meagan Duhamel learning of this "fake news" - or however DL wants to sell it here - and giving him grief for it.
Ha Ha....u are almost right....I looked up TSL's profile here and TSL became a member in 2013 but this is his first message. He has been lurking and reading for years. I do think that prob. Meghan saw this here or the mocking show with the maybe offered and let him have it or he read the interpretation here and printed the denial in terror of her reading it. You can get away with an oopsie I am so sorry once but when it comes to Cdn pairs besides his KMT connection I think he is now done. In fact....if anybody has connections in CDn customs................................

Mad for Skating

No doubt TSL joining FSU to comment on this topic was likely due to Meagan Duhamel learning of this "fake news" - or however DL wants to sell it here - and giving him grief for it.

I knew Meagan would see the light someday!

I don’t always agree with what she says, but I think she could start her own podcast and be much better than TSL. She has the means to do it.

IloveFS

Charlie is suppose to be with Lubov now. With her Cirque commitment, it might be awhile before the "official" announcement comes though.
I have to say that I will be VERY disappointed with this announcement. I don't think that Lubov is the right person for him... She's not a strong singles skater and she definitely cannot jump! Julianne was an exceptional singles skater.. This is a huge mistake for Charlie.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I didn’t have a strong opinion one way or the other of Lubov when she competed but I adore the clips of her I have seen recently so I would be thrilled to see her in competition again. I am not a particularly huge fan of Charlie so far (nothing against him) so I don’t mind that she isn’t a strong jumper, I just want to see beautiful amazing bendy moves :swoon:

Rafter

Wasn't there some discussion earlier this season that he had asked her for a try out? Or was it Evelyn Walsh?

It was Walsh but I’m sure he asked Brasseur as well. I’m not convinced Bilodeau would be tall enough for Brasseur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information