U.S. Men 2018-19 season (cont.) - news & updates

Tavi

Good for you for not getting hurted by Nathan's scores. For your note, I haven't hit back by saying negatives about Jason the past two years.

You haven’t said anything negative about Jason in two years? Did I miss something?

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
:drama: So now there's a 'Who said something negative about Jason in the last two years' contest?? :p

Meanwhile, skaters are busy preparing for 4CCs and other upcoming contests, while defending World champion Nathan Chen is back at Yale, hitting the books and keeping up with his on-ice training and his Raf FaceTime. :D

wickedwitch

Has anyone seen anything regarding junior worlds assignments now that the camp is over?

On a related note, I don't like the timing. I think everyone would be better off if the camp was held after 4CCs.

RoseRed

Has anyone seen anything regarding junior worlds assignments now that the camp is over?

On a related note, I don't like the timing. I think everyone would be better off if the camp was held after 4CCs.
JW is March 4-10th this year. 4CCs ends Feb 10th. Doing a camp after 4CCs would be very close.

toddlj

JW is March 4-10th this year. 4CCs ends Feb 10th. Doing a camp after 4CCs would be very close.
Just a guess, but I assume they'll wait to announce since there are competitors in contention for the spots competing this weekend.

sharsk8s

Junior world camp is now I think. Some skaters were doing live streams two days ago and said that they were at camp

Debbie S

Last edited:

insideedgeua

The entries have been announced now.

Poor Tomoki though, he had US Nationals in Detroit with senior programs. Then back to Colorado Springs for 5 nights. Off to the camp with Junior programs. They ran short programs on Sunday and Free Skates on Monday. Now he’s in Anaheim and back to senior programs.

wickedwitch

:( for Torgashev. I adore Pulkinen too, but the Nats results should have been weighed more than JGP results. I guess they're hoping Pulkinen can improve his season best enough to get two GPs, while Torgashev will be back on the JGP.

Debbie S

:( for Torgashev. I adore Pulkinen too, but the Nats results should have been weighed more than JGP results. I guess they're hoping Pulkinen can improve his season best enough to get two GPs, while Torgashev will be back on the JGP.
Pulkinen, Hiwatashi, and Krasnozhon are aging out after this season, so I guess I can understand the rationale for helping them get world ranking/season's best points. But they've had other opportunities at JW and Krasnozhon got GPs this year. I know the importance of getting the max number of JGP spots, but I wish USFS had changed things up and sent the 'next gen'. Oh well, there's always next year...

RoseRed

Pulkinen, Hiwatashi, and Krasnozhon are aging out after this season, so I guess I can understand the rationale for helping them get world ranking/season's best points. But they've had other opportunities at JW and Krasnozhon got GPs this year. I know the importance of getting the max number of JGP spots, but I wish USFS had changed things up and sent the 'next gen'. Oh well, there's always next year...
In my opinion, Hiwatashi and Krasnozhon undoubtably earned the spots with their performances at Nationals (plus Alex has been saying he wanted to come back this year since right after last year when he had to pull out with that ankle injury). Pulkinen's really the one they're helping out because he didn't get it done at Nationals. I think Andrew's the only one who had an argument for the team (I would have sent him over Camden probably). I like Ryan Dunk, but he's only a year younger than Tomoki and Alexei, so I don't see a reason to boost him over them, and no one else was close score-wise internationally.

Next season, since those three guys are aging out (and assuming the US can keep 3 spots for JW), there will be room like you said. Maybe guys like Ryan Dunk and Dinh Tran could get spots along with Andrew. Or younger guys could be in the mix too (next season those three will be 19, 18 and 18). But I expect Andrew to be there for sure.

jlai

Question everything
Pulkinen may have two bad free skates in a row, but it's not as if Torgashev has a better track record, despite his 7th finish. It is a close case anyway, and Pulkinen has been having at least one good portion of the competition.

RoseRed

Pulkinen may have two bad free skates in a row, but it's not as if Torgashev has a better track record, despite his 7th finish. It is a close case anyway, and Pulkinen has been having at least one good portion of the competition.
Actually 4 bad free skates in a row for Camden: JGP Czech, CS Inge Solar, JGPF and Nationals. At JGP Czech, his SP was strong enough to help him and the FS wasn't quite as bad as the next few, so his overall score was fine, but he came 5th in the FS (1 fall, missed combo, spin error and low GOE on most of the jumps). And Camden had mistakes in his SP at Nats and the CS, so not always one strong portion.

It's still close between them, but Camden's really been having a rough season since his first JGP (at the end of August), maybe more than people realise.

jlai

Question everything
Actually 4 bad free skates in a row for Camden: JGP Czech, CS Inge Solar, JGPF and Nationals. At JGP Czech, his SP was strong enough to help him and the FS wasn't quite as bad as the next few, so his overall score was fine, but he came 5th in the FS. And Camden had mistakes in his SP at Nats and the CS, so not always one strong portion.
Still, it's not as if there is a skater a notch above in track record to send. Torgashev had two flawed free skates and he also had flawed skates at jgps.

Colonel Green

I mean, it's not like Torgashev was good at Nationals; he just sucked less than Pulkinen did.

Andrew has all the talent in the world, but he has not had a single good event this season. Camden's results have been on a worrying downward spiral, but he's at least had good programs as well. I'd have chosen to send Camden for that reason, but either way the USFSA is likely relying on Alexei and Tomoki being strong enough to keep three spots. And on the off-chance that Camden does put it together, he'd be a strong podium contender.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I’m an Andrew fangirl, and admit my bias (I also quite like Camden, how he’s grown over two years), and I think it’s a close one, but I would go for Andrew.

What Andrew is good at, Andrew is greaaaat at. :cheer2: Those skating skills, those level 4 step sequences, those spins (Tomoki is close, but we’re not talking Tomoki), those performance skills....sigh. And the last few comps, although Andrew had his usual falls and pops, he fought for it. He held it together. And he scored high on what he scores high on.

Camden, sadly, just fell apart:( which was indeed sad for me to see. And has done it for a few comps now.

I’m not one for who has the greatest value jump that they landed three out of ten times (I am making up this figure, I have no idea if it applies to anyone) and so if they landed them, and if the moon was in Aquarius, they would podium. I would send the person who is on at least a steady trajectory.

And of course I wouldn’t cry if I got to see that wonderful, marvelous Roxanne step sequence once more time ;)

insideedgeua

I think it really was a close call between Camden and Andrew.

That said, Camden is part of the reason that USA has three spots. After Alexei had to withdraw last year, it was Camden’s 6th place and Tomoki’s 7th that helped to keep 3 spots.

Keep in mind too that Camden, Tomoki and Andrew also had very regular monitoring at World Arena in the lead up to Nationals.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I’m happy for Tomoki. He deserves 4CC and JW, I didn’t think the assignments should be split for the sake of it when he had 2 very good if not perfect skates at Nationals. I hope he skates well at both, he’s seemingly not the most consistent skater but I hope that will improve!

VGThuy

Well, I guess we know to deduct like 30 points off of Vincent's LP TES BV at least.

Regarding Junior Men, I have a feeling this will be like a test for Camden. If he bombs JW, I can see the USFS not doing him any more favors in close calls like this unless his career as a senior goes way differently and he ends up being a consistent hitter.

SCeline

The entries have been announced now.

Poor Tomoki though, he had US Nationals in Detroit with senior programs. Then back to Colorado Springs for 5 nights. Off to the camp with Junior programs. They ran short programs on Sunday and Free Skates on Monday. Now he’s in Anaheim and back to senior programs.

Wow that's pretty brutal. At least he's typically 'trained' at altitude. The whole Colorado Springs test skate idea makes sense, but the altitude is one of the factors which seemed to influence USFS' decision to give the new Raf rink in LA a try for this year's Champs Camp.

Hope Tomoki won't be too wiped out. A senior debut internationally at a Championship event is very important.

rinettoii

Wow that's pretty brutal. At least he's typically 'trained' at altitude. The whole Colorado Springs test skate idea makes sense, but the altitude is one of the factors which seemed to influence USFS' decision to give the new Raf rink in LA a try for this year's Champs Camp.

Hope Tomoki won't be too wiped out. A senior debut internationally at a Championship event is very important.

Are they actually going to try to have Champs Camp at Raf's rink? That would be really exciting! I haven't seen any sort of announcement related to this yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information