The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 74551

I’ll love them forever, but it is acutely embarrassing to be a fan of V/M sometimes.

sharsk8s

Lajoie/Lagha were absolutely breathtaking in both their programs at Canadian junior nationals. WOW. If they skate like they did this week they deserve a medal at junior worlds 100%. (Marie-France said the reason they didn't move to seniors is because they want a medal at junior worlds first)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I’ll love them forever, but it is acutely embarrassing to be a fan of V/M sometimes.

I wouldn't waste your time feel embarrassed. Every skater has crazy fans. I take no responsibility for their lunacy ;)

Lajoie/Lagha were absolutely breathtaking in both their programs at Canadian junior nationals. WOW. If they skate like they did this week they deserve a medal at junior worlds 100%. (Marie-France said the reason they didn't move to seniors is because they want a medal at junior worlds first)

Missed the RD but they skated that FD so well and still didn't seem satisfied with what they put out there so I suspect they have skated it better in practice. I think MF also mentioned they were still age eligible to be in juniors as well. I think it's smart to keep them in junior but training as seniors until they have to make the move.

Dobre

Lajoie/Lagha were absolutely breathtaking in both their programs at Canadian junior nationals. WOW. If they skate like they did this week they deserve a medal at junior worlds 100%.

They will make a run at it and they have a real shot. But whether they deserve a medal at Junior Worlds will depend upon how everyone skates, no? Also, I'd think they definitely need to not muck up the twizzles in the RD like they did at Nationals. They're getting the second mark this season though. Junior Worlds is pretty unpredictable. Ushakova & Nekrasov have been placing/scoring pretty solidly high. But Shevchenko & Eremenko upset them at the JGPF. And Shevchenko & Eremenko, Lajoie & Lagha, Nguyen & Kolesnik, and Khudaberdieva & Nazarov have split results this season.

Head to head between the Greens and Nguyen & Kolesnik next week.
Then head to head between all the Russian teams at Junior Nationals.

Then we'll see where things stand.

sharsk8s

They will make a run at it and they have a real shot. But whether they deserve a medal at Junior Worlds will depend upon how everyone skates, no? Also, I'd think they definitely need to not muck up the twizzles in the RD like they did at Nationals. They're getting the second mark this season though. Junior Worlds is pretty unpredictable. Ushakova & Nekrasov have been placing/scoring pretty solidly high. But Shevchenko & Eremenko upset them at the JGPF. And Shevchenko & Eremenko, Lajoie & Lagha, Nguyen & Kolesnik, and Khudaberdieva & Nazarov have split results this season.

Head to head between the Greens and Nguyen & Kolesnik next week.
Then head to head between all the Russian teams at Junior Nationals.

Then we'll see where things stand.

Very well put

skategal

Bunny mama

Awesome! I hope someone uploads video of the competition.

Stupid work getting in my way of watching skating. :wall: :rofl:

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Awesome! I hope someone uploads video of the competition.

Stupid work getting in my way of watching skating. :wall: :rofl:

Here are the archived videos from Canadian Nationals across all categories (won't be streaming seniors)
Link

By the way, Lajoie/Lagha have said in an interview back in September (Link ) that they are planning to go senior next year.
I'm a big fan of theirs and I hope/think they will medal at Jr Worlds, they certainly have the skills for it.

Pastilage

The only team I can't like is Katsalapov. I just can't. He's talented, but I can't. He has crushed one of the most talented ice dancing team ever on earth. I still miss I&K.
But I'll give him that this season's RD is probably his best ever OD / SD / RD. The FD is not on the same level, and IMO, Vika will never ever be as good as Elena.

Oh well.

I so wish H&D had two decent programs. Let's hope the revamping will convince me more by US nationals, because IMO they've wasted their silver of last season on those.
I agree with every word!

RoseRed

Someone mentioned that they will not be streaming seniors, where will I be able to watch it?
It is being shown on TSN and CTV (the specific channels can be found on TSN's site, but also on Skate Canada's main Nationals page). Mainly TSN 1 and 4 (nothing on 2, but one of the time slots doesn't specify which channel yet).

If you are in Canada and have access to those channels, TSN can be streamed online or via their app. I believe you can watch CTV the same way, but I'm not 100% sure.

Not sure otherwise if there will be a way to watch. It looks like, from the TV schedule, that not all the SPs will be on TV (the early groups of the women's SP at least, not sure about Pairs). And the first two groups of singles FS also look like they won't be on TV. Whatever is not on TV should be streamed.

Spun Silver

That's a very nice summary. I like "an air of dignity bordering on arrogance." :lol: I didn't realize it had so many more key points than other rhythms.

I really wish we could have a group interview of tech callers to find out exactly what they are looking for. I don't understand why it should be such an impenetrable mystery. In a way the GOE has made up for it, but surely the skaters are supposed to be able to get the rhythm right.

clairecloutier

There's an article about Hurtado/Khaliavin in this month's issue of International Figure Skating.

They talk a bit more about their programs. Zhulin & Sergei Petukhov choreographed their short dance to "I've Seen That Face Before" and a modern version of "Libertango."

Hurtado/Khaliavin chose the music for their long program themselves. They acknowledge that it's quite an unusual mix of songs, but don't give any details as to why they chose them. The article says their FD choreographer is Iker Karrera Pena, a Spanish dancer who choreographs for a dance TV show in Spain. Karrera Pena had never worked with figure skaters before. But he immediately said "yes" when they asked him to choreograph the program (they wanted to try a different choreographer).

Sara is learning Russian, and Kirill is learning Spanish. :D Sara enjoys training in Moscow because it's much closer to Spain than Montreal was. It's only a 4.5-hour trip from Moscow to Madrid. They were both very happy to win their first GP medal at Rostelecom. It was made more special for Sara because Maria Teresa Samaranch, president of the Spanish federation, was there & presented the medals.

starrynight

Again some good examples of how the GOE can affect placements. Weaver/Poje and Fournier Beaudry /Sorensen got the same levels. Gilles/Poirier scored a level 2 and level 3 in the tango romantica but otherwise matched the levels of the other team.

There was only a point between W/P and G/P in the technical score despite two level 4s compared to a level 2 and level 3.

Gilles/Poirier's level 2 TR1 only scored 0.08 less of a point than Fournier Beaudry /Sorensen's level 4 TR1 . Fournier Beaudry /Sorensen's level 4 TR2 scored 0.19 less than Gilles/Poirier's level 3 TR2.

VGThuy

Again some good examples of how the GOE can affect placements. Weaver/Poje and Fournier Beaudry /Sorensen got the same levels. Gilles/Poirier scored a level 2 and level 3 in the tango romantica but otherwise matched the levels of the other team.

There was only a point between W/P and G/P in the technical score despite two level 4s compared to a level 2 and level 3.

Gilles/Poirier's level 2 TR1 only scored 0.08 less of a point than Fournier Beaudry /Sorensen's level 4 TR1 . Fournier Beaudry /Sorensen's level 4 TR2 scored 0.19 less than Gilles/Poirier's level 3 TR2.

To be fair, this happened before the GOE range increases as well. It's just the increased range has made the effect a bit larger than what it was before. Maybe an issue is that there isn't enough of a BV difference between the levels as well. Maybe the ISU tech committee didn't want there to be one so the focus could be on dance/performance rather than teams just looking like they are skating to hit the levels.

starrynight

To be fair, this happened before the GOE range increases as well. It's just the increased range has made the effect a bit larger than what it was before. Maybe an issue is that there isn't enough of a BV difference between the levels as well. Maybe the ISU tech committee didn't want there to be one so the focus could be on dance/performance rather than teams just looking like they are skating to hit the levels.

I make these comments because we get articles like this https://bevsmithwrites.com/the-tango-romantica-blues/ going on and on about how difficult this pattern is.

So it's worth crediting teams when they manage to hit the levels. So credit where it's due to Fournier Beaudry /Sorensen and Weaver/Poje at this competition for managing level 4s on both patterns and also managing performance aspect at the same time.

I kind of think that the level 4s this season are like shooting stars (particularly on both patterns!!) - you never know when a team will get another one, so it's worth celebrating when they do!

Last edited:

Dobre

I just think that RD for Weaver & Poje is really gorgeous. I don't know what the international callers will do with it; but it's beautiful. So smooth & intense at the beginning, and they bring the drama for the end.

Kudos to all three of the top-placed teams for bringing it under pressure in the competition today.

yurokis40

I just think that RD for Weaver & Poje is really gorgeous. I don't know what the international callers will do with it; but it's beautiful. So smooth & intense at the beginning, and they bring the drama for the end.

Kudos to all three of the top-placed teams for bringing it under pressure in the competition today.
I think that they have proven already that they are great skaters , their tango I think is right up there with Papciz this year, the ones who should worry are H&D.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

W&P's RD absolutely FLEW by. At this point in the season, each rhythm dance feels longer and longer and looonnngggerrr. Even G&P and F-B&S - they drag a little bit for me. One can only handle so much heavy accordion, and I'm part Suomi. I can handle my accordion. :p But I was honestly surprised when Weaver & Poje's was over. The only other RD that went quickly for me this year was P&C.

All three were very good, but could be better - that's also exciting. (Points be damned, home-inflation is in full effect)

starrynight

I like Weaver Poje's RD - It really flows as a whole piece and they stay totally in character for the duration of the dance. There was no break in the performance while they concentrated on the pattern. Which was very good as they did get both level 4s.

It's also a different take on the Tango Romantica as it is an intimate, romantic program. Which is another way of doing it instead of the more aggressive tango option.

Dobre

It's also a different take on the Tango Romantica as it is an intimate, romantic program.

If it was only this, it would not work for me. But it brings the aggression and drama in the second half and transitions into it while maintaining the relationship and the character of the dance.

I think Guignard & Fabbri and Chock & Bates both have a similarly intimate/mature approach; but Weaver & Poje's program achieves both this and the dramatic power and sense of conflict I need in a tango.

Bigbird

W/P should definitely challenge for the top 3 with the RD. Not sure about the FD though, but the RD is very very strong

True, my favourite FDs just in terms of composition are P/C, G/F, C/B and if only G/P could bring it. Everything is just so wide open, exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information