U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD

Jammers

Greens probably would have made the JGPF if not for injury. This was going to be their breakout year but the battle with N/K for who will be the top US Junior ice dance team next season is going to be wild.

RoseRed

Greens probably would have made the JGPF if not for injury. This was going to be their breakout year but the battle with N/K for who will be the top US Junior ice dance team next season is going to be wild.
If they'd been able to get those scores at a JGP - not a given that they would have gotten those calls. Several teams who did the JGP then did a Jr B event and scored way higher, so the scores are not necessarily comparable.

Dobre

If they'd been able to get those scores at a JGP - not a given that they would have gotten those calls. Several teams who did the JGP then did a Jr B event and scored way higher, so the scores are not necessarily comparable.

Agreed. Historically speaking, however, the Greens are very likely to get strong levels and especially the pattern. They had the highest combined levels of any dance team at Junior Worlds last season. (And the caller there was the same man who is calling the JGPF and GPF dance event this week).

Last edited:

RoseRed

Agreed. Historically speaking, however, the Greens are very likely to get strong levels and especially the pattern. They had the highest combined levels of any dance team at Junior Worlds last season. (And the caller there was the same man who is calling the JGPF and GPF dance event this week).
That's true, they have very good tech. But I don't think we'll be able to see how they line up internationally until JW. Although US Nationals against Nguyen/Kolesnik and Gropman/Somerville should give us some idea.

Lara111

Greens have much better basics so hopefully judges see and recognize it at Nationals...

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Tried to watch the video of the Greens, but it was slow and glitchy. From the little I saw, though, they look REALLY good!

Sylvia

TBD
Chock/Bates and Green/Green are listed as going to the Mentor Torun Cup in January on USFS' international assignments page.
I looked up the dates - the Senior/Junior Dance events at 2019 Mentor Torun Cup in Poland take place on January 11-12.

Junior RD & FD at Nationals are scheduled for January 23 & 24 and the Senior Dance events are Jan. 24 & 26.

Dobre

I am glad the Greens are getting the opportunities for an international season. Missing out on the JGP was a blow, but it's wise to get them out there and in front of the international judges and different panels.

Is Torun Cup an official Challenger event?

No. But it's an opportunity to run the programs in competition before Nationals.

euterpe

C/B will get ranking points for the Torun event----just not as many points as they would get for a Challenge event.
However, B competitions don't get skaters on the Seasons Best list.

Dobre

Yes. I'm glad C/B have a chance to put out their programs before Nats, just wish they could also gain rankings points. Oh well. I hope there's a live stream, or an attendee with a YouTube account. :)

I think there are 250 WS points for a gold at a Senior B international.

Sylvia

TBD
Hubbell & Donohue won the gold in their 4th consecutive trip to Grand Prix Final with 3 ISU SB scores (205.35 total, 80.53 & 124.82) and blogged for USFS' Fan Zone ("As told to Nick McCarvel"):

#1: Changes Aplenty – and We Can’t Wait to Show You

#2: Tomorrow We’ll Be Fearless Again

#3: Creating Our Own Wins From the Inside Out

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker set a new ISU SB in the Rhythm Dance (71.23) and placed 5th in the FD (6th overall) - here's an article on them that was published before the GP Final (Dec. 4): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...uc-baker-to-their-first-grand-prix-final.aspx

clairecloutier

Spiralgraph

Yes. I'm glad C/B have a chance to put out their programs before Nats, just wish they could also gain rankings points. Oh well. I hope there's a live stream, or an attendee with a YouTube account. :)

I'm interested to see their new programs. I'm especially curious to see what their lifts are like since moving to Montreal, and whether their coaching team has simplified the lifts yet still maintaining their level 4 requirements.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I'm interested to see their new programs. I'm especially curious to see what their lifts are like since moving to Montreal, and whether their coaching team has simplified the lifts yet still maintaining their level 4 requirements.

I hope they don't. Their lifts have always been one of their strongest points. I'm not a fan of the most of the lifts from Team Montreal.

layman

I don't know if this was posted before but it's a short (recent) interview featuring Hawayek and Baker:
https://youtu.be/PDdDhiUgd_w

Some (surprising) takeaways:
They teamed up in 2012. I always had the impression that they had teamed up much earlier. The connection between the two makes it seem like they have been skating together all their lives.

Anyway, they teamed in 2012 and won the Junior World Championships in 2014. That's quick progress.

Then, in 2018 (this year) they win their first Senior ISU Title, the 2018 Four Continents Championships and their first Senior Grand Prix, the 2018 NHK Trophy and qualify for the 2018 Grand Prix Final, their first Senior Grand Prix Final. Plus, they placed top ten at the 2018 World Championships, their first senior World Championships.

These two are having a lot of firsts! I am just now appreciating how ambitious and hard working they are. They set goals and achieve them, then set higher goals.... Plus they are such cool, humble, sweet people. I absolutely adore them!

Dobre

There is a link to an athlete list for U.S. Nationals on this page:
http://2019uschampionships.com/athletes/

It includes the new senior dance teams and also confirms the junior teams. Erdman & Vlasenko are listed to compete as a senior team as well as Binotto & Judd. The Purnells and Udells are on the list for junior dance. Congratulations to them for perseverance this season! (No Rose & Michel).

Sylvia

TBD
Copying out the names of the Senior/Junior/Novice teams scheduled to compete at Nationals:

SENIOR (12 teams):
Alannah Binotto (Pittsburgh FSC, Inc.) and Shiloh Judd (University of Delaware FSC) NEW
Christina Carreira (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Anthony Ponomarenko (The Skating Club of San Francisco, Inc.)
Madison Chock (All Year FSC) and Evan Bates (Ann Arbor FSC)
Lydia Erdman (Philadelphia SC & HS) and Yuri Vlasenko (Arctic FSC) NEW
Kaitlin Hawayek (Detroit SC, Inc.) and Jean-Luc Baker (Seattle SC)
Madison Hubbell (Lansing SC) and Zachary Donohue (Lansing SC)
Karina Manta (Coyotes SC of Arizona) and Joseph Johnson (Broadmoor SC, Inc.)
Lorraine McNamara (Peninsula SC) and Quinn Carpenter (Washington FSC)
Bailey Melton (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Ryan O'Donnell (The SC of Houston) NEW
Rachel Parsons (Washington FSC) and Michael Parsons (Washington FSC)
Elicia Reynolds (Ice Line FSC) and Stephen Reynolds (Ice Line FSC)
Nicole Takahashi (Skokie Valley SC) and Oleg Altukhov (The North County FSC) NEW

JUNIOR (13 teams; Sectionals placement included):
Ella Ales (Los Angeles FSC) and Daniel Tsarik (SC of Novi) NEW M2
Oona Brown (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Gage Brown (The SC of New York, Inc.) E2
Molly Cesanek (Washington FSC) and Yehor Yehorov (Peninsula SC) NEW P1
Katarina DelCamp (Dallas FSC, Inc.) and Maxwell Gart (All Year FSC) M4
Alina Efimova (Peninsula SC) and Alexander Petrov (Hershey FSC) P4
Sophia Elder (Louisville Skating Academy, Inc.) and Christopher Elder (Louisville Skating Academy, Inc.) M3
Caroline Green (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) and Gordon Green (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) E1
Eliana Gropman (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) and Ian Somerville (Washington FSC) M1
Jocelyn Haines (Buffalo SC, Inc.) and James Koszuta (Glacier Falls FSC, Inc.) P2
Avonley Nguyen (Washington FSC) and Vadym Kolesnik (SC of Novi) Bye-JGPF
Claire Purnell (Louisville Skating Academy, Inc.) and Lucas Purnell (Louisville Skating Academy, Inc.) M5
Samantha Udell (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Garrett Udell (All Year FSC) P5
Katarina Wolfkostin (Peninsula SC) and Howard Zhao (Detroit SC, Inc.) P3

NOVICE (12 teams; Sectionals placement included):
Katherine Bronov (IceWorks SC) and Oleksandr Kolosovskyi (IceWorks SC) E4
Maria Brown (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) and Marius Driscoll (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) M2
Claire Cain (Washington FSC) and Andrei Davydov (Washington FSC) E3
Layla Karnes (All Year FSC) and Kirill Aksenov (Skokie Valley SC) P1
Anna Nicklas (Ann Arbor FSC) and Max Ryan (All Year FSC) P3
Elliana Peal (Skokie Valley SC) and Ethan Peal (Skokie Valley SC) M1
Joseline Pretto Simmons and Dmitrijs Naudzuns (SC of Western New York) P5
Cordelia Pride (All Year FSC) and Benjamin Lawless (Philadelphia SC & HS) P2
Kelsey Schaub (IceWorks SC) and Anthony Haddad (All Year FSC) E5
Jordan Lin (Washington FSC) and Morgan Sletten (Washington FSC) E2
Breelie Taylor (Atlanta FSC) and Tyler Vollmer (Los Angeles FSC) P4
Elizabeth Tkachenko (Washington FSC) and Alexei Kiliakov (Washington FSC) E1

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information