The first President George Bush has died

Ohyes

lol, of course, you old white pseudo-liberals will try to defend him. HE WAS EVIL.

Sylvia

TBD

Japanfan

I wonder if Bush made it clear that Trump was not welcome to attend, like McCain did?

Sylvia

TBD
Bush family seeks to steer clear of anti-Trump sentiment at 41st president’s funeral: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...fe5828-f738-11e8-8c9a-860ce2a8148f_story.html
Excerpts:
The family of former president George H.W. Bush has planned a state funeral that will steer clear of the kind of anti-Trump sentiment evident at the recent funeral of Sen. John McCain, according to people familiar with the funeral planning.
The Bush family contacted the White House this past summer to say that President Trump would be welcome at the funeral, scheduled Wednesday at Washington National Cathedral, and to assure him that the focus would be on Bush’s life rather than their disagreements, according to one former administration official.
While Trump will not deliver a eulogy, he will be seated in the front row alongside former presidents Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter. Bush’s son, former president George W. Bush, will deliver a eulogy.
Neither he nor the other eulogists — former Canadian prime minister Brian Mulroney, former senator Alan K. Simpson, and presidential historian and Bush biographer Jon Meacham — are expected to focus on the stark differences between the genteel and patrician Bush and the bombastic Trump.
“If you have a sensitivity for human feelings, you just don’t get into that,” Simpson said in an interview Monday. “It’s not what a funeral is for.”

easilydistracte

Geezette
I wonder if Bush made it clear that Trump was not welcome to attend, like McCain did?
The difference, I believe, is that, despite appearances, John McCain's funeral was a private funeral (wasn't it?); whereas George H. W. Bush's funeral will be a State Funeral. If I'm not mistaken, the US government is making all the arrangements and footing the cost of 41's funeral; having the current occupant of the White House attend a State Funeral would be standard protocol, I would think. I don't know if the family of the deceased has total control over the guest list, in such a case, but, from remarks made by commentators during the coverage of today's proceedings, the Bush family invited the current POTUS and First Lady. Given the friction between the families, it would be understandable if the Trumps were excluded, but I think 41 would not have authorized them being excluded, since he respected the Office of the Presidency, regardless of what his personal feelings may have been toward the current occupant. For what it's worth, 45 wasn't invited to speak at the funeral.

Re: Sully--I'm glad that he'll be assigned to Walter Reed to work with the patients there. He's a highly trained service dog. It would be a tremendous waste of his abilities for him just to become someone's pet. His being at Walter Reed would, in a way, be a continuation of 41's legacy of public service. (Regarding the picture of him next to Pres. Bush's casket, it's wondrous how a single photo can be simultaneously heart-wrenching and uplifting, isn't it?)

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
lol, of course, you old white pseudo-liberals will try to defend him. HE WAS EVIL.
Or, perhaps we can recognize the contributions while still acknowledging an individual's flaws, while at the same time not losing our own sense that being a Liberal means being able to speak of others with respect, particularly when we disagree with them.

Last edited:

Susan1

The difference, I believe, is that, despite appearances, John McCain's funeral was a private funeral (wasn't it?); whereas George H. W. Bush's funeral will be a State Funeral. If I'm not mistaken, the US government is making all the arrangements and footing the cost of 41's funeral; having the current occupant of the White House attend a State Funeral would be standard protocol, I would think. I don't know if the family of the deceased has total control over the guest list, in such a case, but, from remarks made by commentators during the coverage of today's proceedings, the Bush family invited the current POTUS and First Lady. Given the friction between the families, it would be understandable if the Trumps were excluded, but I think 41 would not have authorized them being excluded, since he respected the Office of the Presidency, regardless of what his personal feelings may have been toward the current occupant. For what it's worth, 45 wasn't invited to speak at the funeral.

Re: Sully--I'm glad that he'll be assigned to Walter Reed to work with the patients there. He's a highly trained service dog. It would be a tremendous waste of his abilities for him just to become someone's pet. His being at Walter Reed would, in a way, be a continuation of 41's legacy of public service. (Regarding the picture of him next to Pres. Bush's casket, it's wondrous how a single photo can be simultaneously heart-wrenching and uplifting, isn't it?)

I swear, I have looked for Sully and haven't seen him. I want to cry just thinking about his loss. (Yeah, we cry at dog food commercials!)

One negative observation I have to make. They keep being amazed that G. H. W. Bush volunteered to join the service when he was 18. Well, that's what they did back then. My dad graduated in June of 1944, turned 18 in August and joined the navy in December. The war was almost over. A year later he was stationed in Japan. Their ship brought guys back home to the U.S. and my dad went to college on the GI Bill. My aunt's husband lied about his age (I don't know how) and joined the navy at 17 back then.

Neither of them ended up being war heroes or the President or anything, but it's just not that remarkable that 18 year olds joined up in WWII, even the rich and privileged. It's not like there was a draft or anything. Maybe they are just contrasting him with 45 who did everything he could to get out of going.

So don't yell at me! It just kept reminding me of my dad's service.

DFJ

I swear, I have looked for Sully and haven't seen him. I want to cry just thinking about his loss. (Yeah, we cry at dog food commercials!)

One negative observation I have to make. They keep being amazed that G. H. W. Bush volunteered to join the service when he was 18. Well, that's what they did back then. My dad graduated in June of 1944, turned 18 in August and joined the navy in December. The war was almost over. A year later he was stationed in Japan. Their ship brought guys back home to the U.S. and my dad went to college on the GI Bill. My aunt's husband lied about his age (I don't know how) and joined the navy at 17 back then.

Neither of them ended up being war heroes or the President or anything, but it's just not that remarkable that 18 year olds joined up in WWII, even the rich and privileged. It's not like there was a draft or anything. Maybe they are just contrasting him with 45 who did everything he could to get out of going.

So don't yell at me! It just kept reminding me of my dad's service.

I think I saw Sully there this morning.

Susan1

I think I saw Sully there this morning.

I've seen the picture of him in front of the casket (it's even on FB), and the video of him being walked across one of the tarmacs. There was even a report on one of the network morning shows about how he will "go to work" at Walter Reed. I haven't seen much of the live coverage. I think he is supposed to be at the funeral tomorrow? Did he get to ride with the family in the passenger part of Air Force One? Imagine what 45 thought! Have we mentioned he is the first president not to have a pet? Figures.

Oh, I also wish they would stop saying that maybe everything will be bipartisan now and everyone will get along. That's what they kept saying after McCain died. Of course both sides are going to be respectful of each other around a funeral. I wonder what gaffe 45 will pull. He has to be invited, but all of the other ex-presidents are friendly. I bet it kills him that George H. W. loved the Clintons. And President Obama visited him less than a week before he died. Another famous death, and it's all about the one who doesn't belong.

Moto Guzzi

This morning my friend Marcia and I took Metro to the Capital and got in line to visit the rotunda to pay our respects to President George H. W. Bush. The line was long and was much longer when we came out. People of all ages were there. We spoke with a young woman in line who had brought her 4-year-old son to witness history.

There were a number of reporters. While in line, we were interviewed by a woman who was with the French press. Marcia told me this evening that several friends had called her to tell her they'd seen us on CNN when we were in the rotunda.

We signed the condolence book and noted that people were there from all over the country. We spoke with a man who was visiting from Japan this week and decided to come.

It took just over two hours to make it through. We were glad we went and were glad we went as early as we did. The lines continue to grow.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
This morning my friend Marcia and I took Metro to the Capital and got in line to visit the rotunda to pay our respects to President George H. W. Bush. The line was long and was much longer when we came out. People of all ages were there. We spoke with a young woman in line who had brought her 4-year-old son to witness history.

There were a number of reporters. While in line, we were interviewed by a woman who was with the French press. Marcia told me this evening that several friends had called her to tell her they'd seen us on CNN when we were in the rotunda.

We signed the condolence book and noted that people were there from all over the country. We spoke with a man who was visiting from Japan this week and decided to come.

It took just over two hours to make it through. We were glad we went and were glad we went as early as we did. The lines continue to grow.
That warms my heart. When a President dies, it muffles all the partisan nonsense. It is one of the few times that we, as Americans, become who we are meant to be. We act with dignity and respect. Presidents who campaigned (viciously) willingly put that aside to honor one of their own. It is a small club, but a very great one.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

My husband stood in line for more than two hours this afternoon, knowing this was a rare American moment, and was very glad to have the opportunity to see the lying-in-State in the rotunda. Amazingly dignified is how he, a non-American, described it.

ballettmaus

since he respected the Office of the Presidency,

Like with so many inanimate objects and/or symbols, the office is only as good and deserving of respect as the person in it.
That said, if it was Bush's wish, Trump should attend. I just hope that he will not make it about himself and if he does try to do that, that the media will ignore him and focus on Bush like they should.

Susan1

Interestingly, I've seen reports of two funeral homes in the Dayton area that have "visitation hours" where you can sign a guest book that will be sent to the Bush family.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am watching the Bush 41 funeral and getting ready to leave for Vancouver in less than two hours. I had set up the Dvr to record the whole program last night but it was not recording g, so I had to start recording live.

Obamas and Clintons are sitting next to each other. The Trumps will probably be seated next to the Obamas. So many heads of states and royalties in attendance!

Lynn226

The minister who just prayed outside over Bush 41's casket looks like the same one who preached at the wedding for Harry and Meghan. Is he the same person? I missed the name when it was announced.

skatesindreams

The minister who just prayed outside over Bush 41's casket looks like the same one who preached at the wedding for Harry and Meghan. Is he the same person? I missed the name when it was announced.
It was:
Reception of the Body
  • The Most Reverend Michael Bruce Curry, Presiding Bishop and Primate, The Episcopal Church and The Right Reverend Mariann Edgar Budde, Bishop, the Episcopal Diocese of Washington

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information