DWTS Season 27

Spiralgraph

Geesh was that the outcome? I"m glad I bailed around 9:30 and didn't watch the end of the finale. The only think I can say about Bobby is that he's pleasant and inoffensive, but the winner? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

love skating

Clueless American
I audibly yelled out "WHAT?!?!" at the results. I don't mind it when the best dancer doesn't win, but the winner should at least be a decent dancer. I wonder if it would have been different if they had the usual two night finale and people voted after the freestyles. (and not live voting which half the country couldn't vote on or would have to vote "blind" or find an East Coast stream to watch.) If they had eliminated one of the four before the finale night as they have done in the past with a two night finale and assuming Alexis would have got cut - maybe her votes would've gone to Milo and Evanna rather than Bobby? Oh well, it is what it is. I didn't really have a favorite this season. And maybe that's why Bobby won and Joe got so far - the other stars split votes like mine but those two had well galvanized fans. All in all, a pretty disappointing season results-wise.

screech

IIRC, every season before this one, the winner was one of the top 3 scorers for the season. Bobby's average had him ranked 8th.

Bobby had the huge benefit of being able to promote himself to a huge audience on a daily basis. I do also geneuinely think that Milo and Evanna split a lot of votes. I read many places that people were giving some votes to Milo, some to Evanna. Or people were just picking one or the other if bating based on dancing ability. If Evanna hadn't had her breakthrough a few weeks ago, I'm betting a lot of her votes would have gone to Milo.

Apparently viewership was way down this season, at about 7 million per episode. Season 26 had about 7.5 million, but season 25, the last full season, had about 9 million per episode. Less viewers means it made it easier for Bobby fans to get the votes in there.

Unless there's voting reform, or major names next season, I may be done with the show. This is just ridiculous. Bobby won fair and square based on the rules, but sometimes rules need to be changed.

PeterG

I wish that halfway through the season they could do something like reset the judging levels to 5 out of 10 for everyone. And have Len talk about how the judging would be stricter and maybe on screen there being points listed about why some dancers would be marked lower and get a 3 or 4 out of ten for lack of content and other errors. For Bobby to be getting three 8's on the last night alongside the other three dancers is crazy. If I was a guest judge, I would have given him three out of ten. :EVILLE:

screech

Haha I feel like I remember a long time ago they did one episode where they gave two marks (technical content/performance). I'd like that idea to come back.
They also for a bit gave half marks. Which meant Len gave a lot of 9.5. I feel like something along those lines could be useful too.

They either need to:
a) make the judges scores worth more than viewer votes
b) do ballroom audience voting (like with Juniors) and either just rely on that (since they don't do result shows anymore), or combine that with viewer votes
c) open it back up to allowing Canadians to vote online
d) allow rankings (like you rank your picks. Top pick gets 5 points, second pick 3 points, third pick 1 point or something like that)
e) make sure to have a 2 night finale, so that everyone can see everyone's dances and have time to vote
f) some combination of the above
g) just cancel the show

annie720

Haha I feel like I remember a long time ago they did one episode where they gave two marks (technical content/performance). I'd like that idea to come back.
They also for a bit gave half marks. Which meant Len gave a lot of 9.5. I feel like something along those lines could be useful too.

They either need to:
b) do ballroom audience voting (like with Juniors) and either just rely on that (since they don't do result shows anymore), or combine that with viewer votes
d) allow rankings (like you rank your picks. Top pick gets 5 points, second pick 3 points, third pick 1 point or something like that)
e) make sure to have a 2 night finale, so that everyone can see everyone's dances and have time to vote
g) just cancel the show

I vote for a, c, e, and g. :)

BaileyCatts

They need to make it so Judges scores count for 75% of the score and viewer votes count for 25%. What's the point of having Judges scores if they don't mean anything?

Then do a 2 night finale where Night 1 is do-over dance and Freestyle dance so everyone gets to vote in a one-hour show.

Then do a 2-hour finale where all 4 do a 24-hour fusion dance (or whatever it was called) that is Judges vote only and that score gets you an extra 20% bonus added to your score.

There. I fixed it. Somebody call ABC. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

They either need to:
g) just cancel the show

Disagree with b) if one team has lots of supporters in the audience they would automatically get more votes, c) it's an American show, I watch X Factor UK but I don't get to vote, where would you draw the line, would Mexico get to vote?, & g) why cancel, if you don't like it don't watch.

Firedancer

I still can’t believe Bobby won. I was shocked. I agree they need to make some changes. I agree with everyone that they need the two night finale. The free style has always been the make or break moment. They kind of ruined that by having only a limited opportunity for some people to vote. I also agree they need to do something different with scoring - make the judges votes count more. And I know it might not be easy but they need to get better celebrities. I watched the whole season but I wasn’t as into it as I normally am.

screech

Disagree with b) if one team has lots of supporters in the audience they would automatically get more votes, c) it's an American show, I watch X Factor UK but I don't get to vote, where would you draw the line, would Mexico get to vote?, & g) why cancel, if you don't like it don't watch.
IIRC, on Juniors the stars are only allowed to bring a certain number of people to the audience to help kind of curb that (it's not a perfect system)
As for Canada voting, we used to be able to vote until last year! We have the same time zones, and we also have live access to ABC, the network that airs the show.
As for cancelling, I'm not saying that's what should happen, but a spring season is not yet planned, and many people are saying the show has jumped the shark. It's easy money for the network, though.

IIRC, the scoring used to be done differently. I believe in the first few seasons they used to rank performers based on their scores (so this week Evanna and Milo would have been ranked 1st, Alexis 3, Bobby 4), and then ranked the viewer votes (based on overall results, I'm guessing Bobby 1, Milo 2, Evanna 3, Alexis 4), then calculate the overall results based on rankings (or give points based on rankings... rankings were used somehow!). That would have led Milo winning, Evanna runner up, Bobby 3rd, Alexis 4th.

So after my previous post, I looked it up, and it was during Evan's season that one week they had separate technical and performance scores for their dance. I also rewatched some of his dances, and damn, he was a hell of a lot better than I remembered. His paso doble in particular was spectacular! I also really liked their futuristic cha cha (though he looks like Ross Geller in it). I definitely think he was better than Adam was...

Jay42

Between the click of the light
So I will start this off by admitting I am very bad at watching DWTS, most of my knowledge of the show comes from this thread and Sharna's Instagram. I have a lot of shows and DWTS tends to fall by the wayside for me pretty fast.

I was both surprised and not surprised Bobby won. From what I had read on here it didn't sound like he had been in the bottom much, if at all so I can see how a potential vote splitting situation would have benefited him.

I feel kind of bad for Sharna though, she's definitely had better partners in the past that were more deserving of the win and it didn't work out for her. It's too bad her finally getting the win was with a lesser partner.

That said, considering viewership is already down, people would be less likely to tune in and vote if the judges score counted for a higher percentage of who advances than their voting.

BaileyCatts

Good point about viewership, because it is way down per some articles I've been reading. One way to fix that is don't put it on twice a year! Its getting old and tired having it on twice a year.

It needs to be on once a year in the Spring. And I don't see why they couldn't do a 2 night show so there is none of this 'voted out on the night you get a 30' thing but its 'based on last weeks votes' thing happening. The vote out show could be just 30 minutes long on Tuesday (which ABC runs 30 minute shows on Tuesday's anyway), and with commercials that's like a 23 minute show so that's more than enough time to do vote outs and toss in 2-3 Pro only productions as filler. A big opening number, do a results call on Saved and Bottom 3, then a Pro spotlight dance, more results to on Saved/Bottom 3, another quick group number, and final results to build Bottom 3 and then elimination. That could work! :p

PeterG

The judges just need to mark the contestants accurately. If each judge gave Bobby the 1 or 2 out of 10 that he deserved each week, he would storm off at some point and quit. Either that, or he'd break down and weep realizing how horrid a dancer he truly is and have to seek out such copious amounts of medication, that he'd be a zombie on the dancefloor and new paddles would have to be made in red numbering with a negative sign in front of his mark of one or two.

:EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE:

screech

The judges just need to mark the contestants accurately. If each judge gave Bobby the 1 or 2 out of 10 that he deserved each week, he would storm off at some point and quit. Either that, or he'd break down and weep realizing how horrid a dancer he truly is and have to seek out such copious amounts of medication, that he'd be a zombie on the dancefloor and new paddles would have to be made in red numbering with a negative sign in front of his mark of one or two.

:EVILLE::EVILLE::EVILLE::EVILLE::EVILLE:
Often judges score poor contestants higher so that people don't vote. Like 'Oh, X got a perfect score. They're probably safe.' It's the same reason they no longer announce the 'jeopardy' couples as 'the bottom two'. This way it's a form of manipulation. For all we know, Joe was in the bottom two each week, but if people saw his name there, it would push them to vote for him. Making them think he's safe means less people would vote. Same reason they can put someone 'in jeopardy' even if they're at the top of the heap - they can manipulate people to vote for them.

I've read speculation from semi-insiders that the Len is either told or given an idea of who's in jeopardy before the episode airs, but that Carrie Ann and Bruno don't know much. But also that producers kind of try to nudge them to score the way they want them to score (which is why the scores given don't always seem to match the dance presented).

I actually think that for the most part, other than the freestyle Bobby was scored fairly accurately throughout the season. But he had the absolute benefit of being able to be in peoples minds constantly because of his show, so he got a LOT more promotion than anyone else, And even people who don't watch the show would likely vote for the guy they listen to every day over people they've never heard of.

skatesindreams

He had the absolute benefit of being able to be in peoples minds constantly because of his show, so he got a LOT more promotion than anyone else, And even people who don't watch the show would likely vote for the guy they listen to every day over people they've never heard of.
I believe that this had much to do with Bobby's win.

taf2002

I like the twice a year shows. I also like The Voice being on twice a year & don't get tired of either. If I was I wouldn't watch. Those who are tired should maybe take a season off. I don't get why it's even an issue. There are lots of shows that go on for years that are on for 13 shows per season & ppl still watch them. Some of the soaps have been on for 40 or more years & ppl still look forward to them. And why say they should cancel? Why deny other ppl just because you're done with a show?

This season was one of my favorites but then I say that every season. I don't get why ppl have to have A or B list celebrities in order to enjoy the show. This way we get to know ppl we didn't know before & as long as they produce good television it's all good. I like there being older celebs that maybe we grew up with & some young ones I hadn't heard of & then some in the middle. I find the ppl as interesting as the dances. YMMV

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Results like this make me wonder if the judges should have more control over the voting, but if they did, I'd say that the results were manipulated by the producers for storyline or other reasons that had nothing to do with the actual dancing.

taf2002

Results like this make me wonder if the judges should have more control over the voting, but if they did, I'd say that the results were manipulated by the producers for storyline or other reasons that had nothing to do with the actual dancing.

Maybe the fairest way would be to count online votes only. Most people don't have multiple email addresses or FB accts & those who do are probably a drop in the bucket. That plus judge's scores would probably be pretty accurate as to what most of the viewers want.

As to next season, I've already read about 2 or 3 people who have been asked to join the cast next time.

screech

Maybe the fairest way would be to count online votes only. Most people don't have multiple email addresses or FB accts & those who do are probably a drop in the bucket. That plus judge's scores would probably be pretty accurate as to what most of the viewers want.
Actually, I think lots of people use multiple email addresses. I have my personal email, my email I use for websites/contests and such, work email...
They ABSOLUTELY should do away with the one night finale, though. Especially if they split up the dances so much. IIRC Evanna and Milo didn't do their first dance until and hour or so into the broadcast. Bobby and Alexis did theirs in the first 15 minutes.

pixie cut

I also wondered if the result would have been different if it was a two-night finale. Lots of people don't watch it live in Eastern or Central time. Those in the Mountain and Pacific time zones didn't even get to vote -- unless they did it without watching the show. As it is, they cut down online voting time and options all season. It used to be you could vote online until 9 am Pacific time on Tuesday. This season it was either 4 am Eastern or 4 am Pacific. I'm not sure which. That's a lot less time. Also, no Facebook voting. Only ABC.com. When you combine less time and options with a kind of uninspiring cast, then the guy with the avid fan support can seize the day. Bobby seems like a very nice person and he was truly touched, but he is by far the worst dancer to ever win. There's no hair-splitting. This isn't Emmitt Smith v Mario Lopez or Mel B v Helio Castroneves. This is comparable to if Meryl Davis lost to Drew Carey.

The only season DWTS used the .5's was the All-Star season. The reasoning was that all of them were good dancers, so the judges had to be really picky with their scores.

screech

I also wondered if the result would have been different if it was a two-night finale. Lots of people don't watch it live in Eastern or Central time. Those in the Mountain and Pacific time zones didn't even get to vote -- unless they did it without watching the show.
Also, most of Bobby's listeners are located in the Eastern and Central Time Zones, where his show is broadcast from Nashville, and where the DWTS finale aired live. This could have helped in putting him at an advantage over someone like Milo who is LA/Disney based.
I honestly think the way this finale was done was extremely unfair to the contestants. Of any season, this is one where I think they should do a 'dance-off' like they did after the upset of Kelly Monaco winning in season 1.

pixie cut

I honestly think the way this finale was done was extremely unfair to the contestants. Of any season, this is one where I think they should do a 'dance-off' like they did after the upset of Kelly Monaco winning in season 1.

The show no longer has the popularity to warrant a dance-off. That 1st season was heavily watched and relatively inexpensive to produce. Ratings were down this season. By today, most people have forgotten who won. Sadly, to some of us, the stain remains.

taf2002

The show no longer has the popularity to warrant a dance-off. That 1st season was heavily watched and relatively inexpensive to produce. Ratings were down this season. By today, most people have forgotten who won. Sadly, to some of us, the stain remains.

I don't see it as a stain because I believe that Bobby would have won this year even if there had been a 2 day finale & if all 4 had danced without the 30 mins in between & if there were no tweets counted. I don't know how many of you vote by phone but Bobby had tons of people who were doing just that.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I don't see it as a stain because I believe that Bobby would have won this year even if there had been a 2 day finale & if all 4 had danced without the 30 mins in between & if there were no tweets counted. I don't know how many of you vote by phone but Bobby had tons of people who were doing just that.
Sharna did an Instagram live today and she was apparently told that they were so far ahead from voting that their scores didn't matter. I checked Wikipedia because I couldn't remember if Bobby & Sharna had ever actually been in the bottom and they hadn't. So clearly fans were really coming out for them full force.

PeterG

Sharna did an Instagram live today and she was apparently told that they were so far ahead from voting that their scores didn't matter.

How many days (weeks?) before the finale was Sharna told this? I'm curious how good an actress she is to have to looked so shocked/surprised when she won. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information