From Russia with Love [#30]: If There Are Test Skate Videos, It Must Be Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

screech

Mistakes in the LP for Evgenia too, but I enjoyed the program (though I think her dress could use a little bit more holding it up...) Her lutz has definitely improved.
Her reaction after ending the program was cute (even Ted Barton and Debbi Wilkes commented on it), and if I didn't already like her as a person, I would now, after she clapped for the leader when she was announced to be in second place.

starrynight

I think the point of being an adult skater with a long career is that there are ups and downs.

Look at some of the nightmare skates that Yuzuru has had - but you pick yourself up and keep going. And I think as an adult skater that tunnel vision and self-perception of invincibility that young teens can have is gone. It's just a different kind of thinking and being. Goodness knows the way I viewed the world from a 16 year old to even a 19/20 year old was vastly, vastly different.

Now is the time for skaters to build up to be ready to get through the quad. lol It does remind me of some of the results we got on the grand prix in the 2014/2015 season. Remember how Maxim Kovtun went to the Grand Prix Final with the highest number of points?

Tinami Amori

Eteri has never never (yet) coached a successful adult.
We have prebubescent skaters winning the Olympics, but that still doesn’t make them adult by any mean. That doesn’t take anything from her accomplishments. It is just a fact.

"adult" is subjective in general, but also by country, by situation, by background, by administrative specifics, etc.

There is no classification "adult" in elite competition skating divisions.

There are two division, "jr." and "sr.", and that is how the ladies are segmented, and how coaches handle the technical and administrative requirements. Eteri has success in both divisions: sr. and jr.

and..Med was not pre-pubescent when she got silver at the Olympics, she was 18, and Zag went through puberty in summer/fall 2017, just before Olympics and her body changes were "officially" noted in winter 2018.

All other "adjectives" describing any condition of the girls are IRRELEVANT.

Eteri also did not have girls that are: "red heads", "taller than xxx meters", "shorter than xxx meters", "from Sweden", "who jump in reverse/clockwise", "who came from pairs or dance", "who insert whatever...".

When one can't accept another one's success, he/she starts applying irrelevant criteria to judge by.

Old joke i heard: A 6 year old jewish boy is applying to a russian school, and has to pass a very basic 1st grade russian language spelling test, consisting for 3 words, to qualify for 2% admission quota. Examiner tells him to spell "cat", he spells "c-a-t". Examiner tells him to spell "dog", he spells "d-o-g". Then to spell "house", he spells "h-o-u-s-e". Examiner is frustrated that he can't fail him, and asks him to spell "eucalyptus"... :D

ChiquitaBanana

"adult" is subjective in general, but also by country, by situation, by background, by administrative specifics, etc.

There is no classification "adult" in elite competition skating divisions.

There are two division, "jr." and "sr.", and that is how the ladies are segmented, and how coaches handle the technical and administrative requirements. Eteri has success in both divisions: sr. and jr.

and..Med was not pre-pubescent when she got silver at the Olympics, she was 18, and Zag went through puberty in summer/fall 2017, just before Olympics and her body changes were "officially" noted in winter 2018.

All other "adjectives" describing any condition of the girls are IRRELEVANT.

Eteri also did not have girls that are: "red heads", "taller than xxx meters", "shorter than xxx meters", "from Sweden", "who jump in reverse/clockwise", "who came from pairs or dance", "who insert whatever...".

When one can't accept another one's success, he/she starts applying irrelevant criteria to judge by.

Old joke i heard: A 6 year old jewish boy is applying to a russian school, and has to pass a very basic 1st grade russian language spelling test, consisting for 3 words, to qualify for 2% admission quota. Examiner tells him to spell "cat", he spells "c-a-t". Examiner tells him to spell "dog", he spells "d-o-g". Then to spell "house", he spells "h-o-u-s-e". Examiner is frustrated that he can't fail him, and asks him to spell "eucalyptus"... :D

You totally know what I am saying, you are just stirring things up.
... Adult, let's say people older than 19 years old. By pure linguistic definition, people not in their teenage years anymore.

Tinami Amori

You totally know what I am saying, you are just stirring things up.
... Adult, let's say people older than 19 years old. By pure linguistic definition, people not in their teenage years anymore.

No, i don't know what you're saying, but it is you who is stirring up trouble by introducing an non existent requirement for evaluation of coach's work and accomplishments.

So... you randomly decide that only someone over 19 is an adult... because Eteri never had a 20 year old skater.. oh please. :D Officially it is an 18 year old that is considered an adult in some countries, and 17 and 16 in others, and even 15.

The whole "adult" thing is your invention... There is no requirement for a "good coach" criteria to have 20+ years students. The criteria for good coach is medals in Jr. and Sr.

Eteri is a figure skating coach. In figure skating there are 2 categories which compete on elite international level - Sr. and Jr. Last 4-5 years Eteri's girls, both Sr. and Jr. are on top of ALL piedestals.

Elena Boyanova also does not train any "adult girls" then, all her top ladies are under 20... :D

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Mistakes in the LP for Evgenia too, but I enjoyed the program (though I think her dress could use a little bit more holding it up...) Her lutz has definitely improved.
Her reaction after ending the program was cute (even Ted Barton and Debbi Wilkes commented on it), and if I didn't already like her as a person, I would now, after she clapped for the leader when she was announced to be in second place.

It is not unusual for Zhenya to be classy. When she lost the OGM to Zag, she was the first person to congratulate her. She has always sounded very mature in her interviews, so what took you so long to like her? Just because she has a Canadian coach?

She would have improved no matter where she trained, because she is always improving. I did not like her programs, however. She needs a better choreographer.

screech

It is not unusual for Zhenya to be classy. When she lost the OGM to Zag, she was the first person to congratulate her. She has always sounded very mature in her interviews, so what took you so long to like her? Just because she has a Canadian coach?

She would have improved no matter where she trained, because she is always improving. I did not like her programs, however. She needs a better choreographer.
If you look at my original post, I said "If I didn't already like her as a person, I would now," meaning that I did already like her. What does a Canadian coach have to do with my comments? I never said anything about her coach.

Mad for Skating

lily

She’s such a cutie. I think she was just nervous about the new programs and looked a little tentative but I’m sure she will shine later in the season. I have faith in her!

This season Zhenya probably has plenty of room to make fun, fall and be cutie ....

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
This season Zhenya probably has plenty of room to make fun, fall and be cutie ....
I think this season she will fight for survival because if her season is weak, she won’t have any chance when next season Tutberidze’s new crop moves to seniors.

Willin

@hanca Not only that, but if she fails the Russian federation may not let her train abroad anymore and may block the way for others to do so in the future. There's a lot at stake - the question is how long the federation will let this experiment play out before passing judgement. Because while we may think it's reasonable to allow for some errors while she fixes things and makes changes, the federation may have little patience with so much talent coming to potentially replace her.

hanca

Values her privacy
@hanca Not only that, but if she fails the Russian federation may not let her train abroad anymore and may block the way for others to do so in the future. There's a lot at stake - the question is how long the federation will let this experiment play out before passing judgement. Because while we may think it's reasonable to allow for some errors while she fixes things and makes changes, the federation may have little patience with so much talent coming to potentially replace her.
I think the federation would not prevent her to train abroad, but they may refuse to fund it. However, that should not be a problem because I guess Medvedeva would have some of her prize money saved so she could probably afford it. I don’t think the federation would want to make her life hard, because she did bring them medals in the past, but they may just replace her with the newcomers. Next season Trusova, Scherbakova, Kostornaya and Tarakanova are senior eligible. Even if not all of them survive puberty or injuries, there will be one or two who will. Next star is coming.

ChiquitaBanana

No, i don't know what you're saying, but it is you who is stirring up trouble by introducing an non existent requirement for evaluation of coach's work and accomplishments.

So... you randomly decide that only someone over 19 is an adult... because Eteri never had a 20 year old skater.. oh please. :D Officially it is an 18 year old that is considered an adult in some countries, and 17 and 16 in others, and even 15.

The whole "adult" thing is your invention... There is no requirement for a "good coach" criteria to have 20+ years students. The criteria for good coach is medals in Jr. and Sr.

Eteri is a figure skating coach. In figure skating there are 2 categories which compete on elite international level - Sr. and Jr. Last 4-5 years Eteri's girls, both Sr. and Jr. are on top of ALL piedestals.

Elena Boyanova also does not train any "adult girls" then, all her top ladies are under 20... :D

Re-read your posts. You are the one fabulating on people hating Eteri. Sure there are. But my point is neutral. No need to show what other coaches have done or not. Why can’t you just not acknowledge a fact?!

Tinami Amori

Re-read your posts. You are the one fabulating on people hating Eteri. Sure there are. But my point is neutral. No need to show what other coaches have done or not. Why can’t you just not acknowledge a fact?!
Your point is not "neutral", because you are introducing a criteria (girls over 20) that does not exist in evaluating coach's success, and not an official criteria in the sport. There are two categories: Jr. and Sr. Eteri has Gold in both.

Why don't we acknowledge all sorts of other irrelevant facts.... Eteri does not have: a skater past 30 years old (like Mishin and Caro); she does now not teach beginner classes for girls under 10; does not hand them cookies and candy after practice like Plushenko, does not cook them dinner like Tarasova for Kulik, etc...:D

ChiquitaBanana

Your point is not "neutral", because you are introducing a criteria (girls over 20) that does not exist in evaluating coach's success, and not an official criteria in the sport. There are two categories: Jr. and Sr. Eteri has Gold in both.

Why don't we acknowledge all sorts of other irrelevant facts.... Eteri does not have: a skater past 30 years old (like Mishin and Caro); she does now not teach beginner classes for girls under 10; does not hand them cookies and candy after practice like Plushenko, does not cook them dinner like Tarasova for Kulik, etc...:D

Fact: Eteri has never coached a girl over 20. Final. Point. Interprete it as you want for your propaganda/fabulation...

Tinami Amori

Fact: Eteri has never coached a girl over 20. Final. Point. Interprete it as you want for your propaganda/fabulation...

"Coaching girl over 20" is a subjective invented criteria, it has no merit...

:D she also never coached a girl over 25, 30, 40, 50... she does not braid their hair, does not have a son, and does not drive a Mercedes, and does not eat ice cream...

She is success in Ladies Singles, because her Jr. and Sr. girls have all past 3 seasons' Gold and Silver... :D

Perky Shae Lynn

I apologize to the rest of the posters for this rant. I've been reading your disturbing comments for years. The smilies do not make the content any less nasty. I think you are simply a troll that likes to stir things up. The alternative is too hard to believe. Nobody can be that obtuse, that void of sense of reality or compassion. This comment is a perfect reflection of your tactics. Non-existing requirement for evaluating coaches... lol. Yeah, being a decent person who treats her students as human beings, not cockroaches, sure is a non-existing requirement. Enjoy your trolling.

Tinami Amori

I apologize to the rest of the posters for this rant. I've been reading your disturbing comments for years. The smilies do not make the content any less nasty. I think you are simply a troll that likes to stir things up. The alternative is too hard to believe. Nobody can be that obtuse, that void of sense of reality or compassion. This comment is a perfect reflection of your tactics. Non-existing requirement for evaluating coaches... lol. Yeah, being a decent person who treats her students as human beings, not cockroaches, sure is a non-existing requirement. Enjoy your trolling.
Yes, a very nice rant, indeed...... And now, can you provide any proof that "coaching girls 20 and over" is a) a legal ISU requirement, and... b) indicates that a coach is treating his/her students as human beings?

... because Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes may disagree that their coaches did not treat them as human beings when they won Gold and retired as teenagers.... :rofl:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Can we please go back to Russian figure skating now, please?
Sinitsina/Katsalapov and Kolyada won gold, Voronov won silver and Popova/Mozgov and Konstantinova won bronze at Ondrej Nepela Trophy :cheer:

Kolyada even outscored Hanyu who was competing at the Challenger in Canada by 11 points.

Willin

@Moka-Ananas It's an early competition and she hasn't had much time with these programs yet. In fact, the FS isn't even done yet. Both programs have had stuff added since the test skates. I'm sure she'll have more life when she's had actual time to practice the completed programs.

I think it will be a struggle for her to medal at Russian Nationals, but only because they have two juniors with quads, Alina, Liza with her 3A, and at least one other talented Junior. I don't think she'll be off the world team, since most that can beat her at Nationals are too young for senior worlds.

hanca

Values her privacy
@Moka-Ananas It's an early competition and she hasn't had much time with these programs yet. In fact, the FS isn't even done yet. Both programs have had stuff added since the test skates. I'm sure she'll have more life when she's had actual time to practice the completed programs.

I think it will be a struggle for her to medal at Russian Nationals, but only because they have two juniors with quads, Alina, Liza with her 3A, and at least one other talented Junior. I don't think she'll be off the world team, since most that can beat her at Nationals are too young for senior worlds.
That’s true, but I am not sure if that’s the whole story. I missed seeing the spark in her skating. It felt as if she went through the motions. I am wondering if she struggles with her motivation a little bit, on one side wanting it and that’s why she changed coaches, but not wanting it so strongly as before. There have been a number of skaters who struggled with motivation after they achieved Olympic or worlds medals, so it probably isn’t that uncommon.

Madison25

That’s true, but I am not sure if that’s the whole story. I missed seeing the spark in her skating. It felt as if she went through the motions. I am wondering if she struggles with her motivation a little bit, on one side wanting it and that’s why she changed coaches, but not wanting it so strongly as before. There have been a number of skaters who struggled with motivation after they achieved Olympic or worlds medals, so it probably isn’t that uncommon.
I doubt it's about lack of motivation, but rather lack of stamina... she looked exhausted at the end of the free program.

lily

I doubt it's about lack of motivation, but rather lack of stamina... she looked exhausted at the end of the free program.

May be the lack of stamina but I ask myself why she lacks stamina now while when she was with Tutberidze, she didn't lack it.

hanca

Values her privacy
Maybe it is not motivation, but it is the spark, or the fight inside her. Something was definitely off this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information