2018-19 Programs and Choreographers

lauravvv

Thanks, sleepingsleeping. I see that Yuzuru is going by the saying "why fix it, if it ain't broken" (don't remember the exact wording) :D. Good that he is doing what has proven to be the best and most comfortable for him in terms of collaborations and choreography, but he could at least try it the other way round for once (Shae-Lynn for the SP, and Jeffrey for FS) :shuffle: :D.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

It is rumored that Mikhail Kolyada's new LP is to Carmen, I haven't seen any confirmation on Russian media - only a quote from Lambiel's interview
- Russian skater Mikhail Kolyada has posted pictures of the two of you together on Instagram. Are you choreographing his Short program?
Stephane: That's right. The program has some duality to it, a bit rock but at the same time romantic. His charm is in his energy and speed. Also, his personality is very unaffected, simple, and innocent. I wanted to express that in the program. I also choreographed the step sequence of his FS. This has a completely different theme, a Latin/Hispanic one. Working on the choreography with him was a lot of fun. That's because he not only takes beautiful positions, but he can control them magnificently. Furthermore, he's an extremely positive person and leaves a good impression on you. When I watch him skate, I really admire what a truly cheerful guy he is.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It is rumored that Mikhail Kolyada's new LP is to Carmen, I haven't seen any confirmation - only a quote from Lambiel's interview

Well, at least that should be better than his Elvis Steamroller.

aftershocks

Banned Member
See that's the problem. The version he used is an abomination. Both in the fact the singer doesn't really understand what he's singing about, and the orchestration.
There are too many french or canadian GOOD version of that song. Let me hope they use either the Norman Groulx version or the Bruno Pelletier one.

Thanks for your explanation. It doesn't change the fact that Denis' artistry still lives and breathes, despite anyone's dislike for that particular fp music selection.

Bigbird

Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue
RD:
Tango: Alevare by Astor Piazzolla
Tango: Tangata del Alba by Astor Piazzolla
FD: Introduction to Romeo (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong
Kissing You Instrumental (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong
Kissing You (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) performed by Desree
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013466.htm

Considering what they did with the Blowers Daughter, this might go over very well for them. I'll wait and see. What else had we envisioned for them, just out of curiosity?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
RD:
Tango: Alevare by Astor Piazzolla
Tango: Tangata del Alba by Astor Piazzolla
FD: Introduction to Romeo (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong

Great choices! I was getting tired of their “smoky lounge” theme. Enough is enough.

Viscaro

Thanks for the info for H/D programs ! I am a bit surprised (there are indeed so many ways a RJ program can go wrong, plus I have a hard time imagining RJ on any other music than Prokofiev's (sorry, even you Piotr Illitch)), but it is indeed a change from their usual theme. It's very intriguing !

On the W/P front... Well sadly once again our tastes in French songs do not overlap. Spartacus last season was a beautiful music though, I wish they had not changed the music for a French song I hate. It's very frustrating when you cannot enjoy a program because of it. But if it means the memory of friend to them...

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
While it's nice that Romeo and Juliet is very different from last year's FD, I was really hoping they'd get away from the romantic route. Romeo and Juliet is the last theme I would have chosen for them; I think they can do something a lot more original. So this is a tad disappointing for me.

Still, I can't wait to see what their programs look like. Hopefully the FD will surprise me.

ETA: I hope the 'Introduction to Romeo' section doesn't have voiceovers :lol:

Last edited:

Bigbird

Has no one seen the hideous junior ice dance programs from Sofiya and Igor and Dmitry and Eva? I could not watch either of them until the end. Hopefully, the offerings from their seniors will be much better.

barbarafan

Has no one seen the hideous junior ice dance programs from Sofiya and Igor and Dmitry and Eva? I could not watch either of them until the end. Hopefully, the offerings from their seniors will be much better.
They were diff. all right but they scored well.

sleepingsleeping

FD:
Introduction to Romeo (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong

It is wonderful just to not have music of a completely different movie soundtrack abruptly inserted.
"Hanging" "Escape"
Craig Armstrong
From the Album Plunkett And Macleane
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YQ3Z48/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
In the program of the Russian skaters, suddenly, it becomes totally different kind of music. For example, they insert different music between Mozart's piano concertos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5eT5RXMifQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy50uHZoFGI
Wow, Kolyada and Tuk used the same music for their SPs and it happens to be an unusual interpretation of Mozart's piano concerto, big deal. So, of course all of their programs have to be like that. I love your logic.

sleepingsleeping

That's my fav Armstrong piece, why the hell does no one skate to that? :drama:

https://www.amazon.com/Escape/dp/B0...535808598&sr=8-6&keywords=Plunkett+&+Macleane
Many skaters are mixing these two different soundtracks. A typical example is Yuzuru's one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AK5hJY44LU&list=PLBlBq_z2FiKeF2wy3ZYnjvMxZ12pf4te1
In the 2017-2018 season, Vincent was also mixing these two.
In figure skating, when someone mixes different music, it often happens that other athletes imitate and mix.
But they are music composed for different movies, with different concepts. I do not like such a mix. I think it is strange as one art.

Last edited:

sleepingsleeping

Mozart - Piano Concerto No 23 is a masterpiece among many piano concertos. Classical top musicians and experts will be surprised and sick of this kind of mix. It does not show respect for Mozart's masterpiece. It should not be mixed with such low level music. It shows that the athlete and choreographer do not understand this masterpiece. There are lots of such mixes in Russian competitor's program. That is disappointing.

Willin

Disappointed in H/D's choices. I think they're like G/P in that they excel at unusual music choices - maybe they don't go the humorous route, but they pulled off hip hop and that steamy FD so well. Romeo & Juliet (even the tacky 1996 version) seems like a step back artistically when they were creating a nice modern style of their own. If they are going to do R&J and the 1996 version in particular I'd rather they took it the full 1990s tackiness.

@sleepingsleeping I don't really know what you're talking about since I'm not musically inclined, but I would believe you. It seems that people who cut skating music are dedicated to using the most egregiously awful arrangements/covers of any piece of music, even when it would be perfectly adequate to use the original version. Broadway programs are most guilty of this.

One thing I've noticed watching the JGP is how bad music choices can make lovely skaters seem awful. The Korean girl who did West Side story had a gorgeous dress, wonderful skating, and solid jumps but had exactly 0 swag. Considering at least half of her music was the stuff played during the prologue gang dance battle, she needed to show swag and since she couldn't the performance was lacking - except during the very short "somewhere" section that was lovely. Another girl did the jazzy Seven Nation Army cover. While I would've again like to see swag or confidence for that song given her age and the lyrics, I could've taken sexy as well (given the jazzy style), but the skater couldn't do either.
I get it's juniors, but this extends to Seniors as well: if you can't bring the swag don't skate to music that requires it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information