Status
Not open for further replies.

Seerek

Certainly in terms of competitive skating, there's been no Erik Satie in the senior divisions for the better part of 2 decades. I think only Tatsuki Machida in exhibition in recent memory.

Will be interesting to see if Pooja sticks with Scott Brown this season (at least hold over one of the programs).

Vagabond

kwanatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtWXbYI6yZU

Just watched Ting's FS from Broadmoor. That was a rough one but I really do love her skating overall. Good speed and flow across the ice and I love her style as well. She's got those long limbs but she controls them quite well for her age. There's a natural power to her skating that I feel will survive post-puberty so that gives me hope. It's just finding that focus when she's competing...that's what's missing for her.

Vagabond

Lynn, Curry, Kwan. That's mighty fine company. It still appears that Kalyan is unique in doing an entire competitive FS to Erik Satie, albeit at the Junior level.

I was thinking about Lynn because she did do an entire FS to Debussy's Prelude to an Afternoon of a Faun. Like Gymnopédie No. 1, it's a beautiful, subtle work with a slow tempo, making an entire Free Skate to that one piece challenging, to say the least.

skatesindreams

Is there anyone competing that has a legitimate chance of being in the top 5 at Worlds?
Present competitors lack both consistency and history, I fear/

kwanatic

and somewhere across town, Ashley just Naomi Cambelled her phone across the room :p

LOL! It's the truth though. Ashley only made that one team. Can't fight the facts...but she can throw a phone at them if it makes her feel better :lol:

That's good to hear Mirai is taking a break. She has been competing nonstop since turning senior IIRC (what was that? 2008-2009 season), so a break is well deserved. I don't expect to see her come back to skate competitively and that's fine too. She went out on a high note: silver medal at nationals, historic moment and bronze medal at the Olympics, and top 10 finish at worlds. She'll always be one of my sentimental favorites :saint:

I don't really see Mirai as a public speaker (sometimes she doesn't express herself that well when she speaks) but public speaking is a skill so it's something she can work at and get better. I wish her the best. With both Ashley and Mirai (apparently) bowing out, that's the last of the post-Vancouver crowd. Definitely a changing of the guard for the US women.

feraina

LOL! It's the truth though. Ashley only made that one team. Can't fight the facts...but she can throw a phone at them if it makes her feel better :lol:

That's good to hear Mirai is taking a break. She has been competing nonstop since turning senior IIRC (what was that? 2008-2009 season), so a break is well deserved. I don't expect to see her come back to skate competitively and that's fine too. She went out on a high note: silver medal at nationals, historic moment and bronze medal at the Olympics, and top 10 finish at worlds. She'll always be one of my sentimental favorites :saint:

I don't really see Mirai as a public speaker (sometimes she doesn't express herself that well when she speaks) but public speaking is a skill so it's something she can work at and get better. I wish her the best. With both Ashley and Mirai (apparently) bowing out, that's the last of the post-Vancouver crowd. Definitely a changing of the guard for the US women.

Has Caroline said for sure she’s retiring? I expect she will. But I haven’t heard anything official either.

RoseRed

Bradie Tennell was sixth last season. She certainly has a legitimate chance of finishing higher than that this season.

For sure. Evgenia wasn't there of course, but we don't know if Kaetlyn will be at Worlds 2019, so that kind of evens out.

I think Bradie would need a bit of luck to finish much higher than 6th (3rd-4th I mean), baring significant improvement. In my eyes, if present/healthy Alina, Evgenia and Carolina are almost certainly ahead of her. If she's there and her form is decent, Kaetlyn too. If Satoko is on the Japanese team, she's probably there too (unless the new UR rule really hurts her - depends how it's applied). And when Wakaba skates well, she'll beat Bradie.

Then, depending on who the 3rd Russian lady is, she could beat Bradie (e.g Polina T). And a 3rd Japanese lady. And then Gabby was only ~3 points behind skating on a sprained ankle. Of course, Bradie could beat them too, I'm just laying out how competitive it might be. Post-Olympics Worlds is always kind of weird, so it will be interesting to see how Bradie stacks up this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information