I, Tonya

VGThuy

Back to the movie, I hope with I, Tonya underperforming at the Oscars, it means Best Supporting Actress is an open race again and Metcalf can sneak in a win. I'm sure Janney plays LaVonna in a fun-to-hate, I can't believe a woman like this exists, trashy, and campy way, but I prefer performances that are more multi-layered and nuanced and human. From all the clips, it seems Janney just got the LaVonna is a total monster report and simply went with that.

Vagabond

Back to the movie, I hope with I, Tonya underperforming at the Oscars, it means Best Supporting Actress is an open race again and Metcalf can sneak in a win. I'm sure Janney plays LaVonna in a fun-to-hate, I can't believe a woman like this exists, trashy, and campy way, but I prefer performances that are more multi-layered and nuanced and human. From all the clips, it seems Janney just got the LaVonna is a total monster report and simply went with that.
You should watch the movie. Even filtered through Tonya Harding's antagonistic point of view, the LaVona Golden character is multi-layered, nuanced, and human, particularly in that last :eek: :eek: :eek: scene, which is what makes her so horrific.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance

Lesley Manville is also very deserving for "Phantom Thread." There could be an upset here. 3 terrific actors, and 3 great performances.

Yazmeen

Yeah considering its previous nominations at other guilds and award shows. At least Picture and Screenplay.

However, the movie wasn't nominated for the "Best Cast" award at the SAGs, their equivalent of Best Picture. When it comes to comedies vs dramas, Oscar tends to lean on the side of the dramas. The only real comedy nominated was "Get Out." Guess Oscar didn't like the idea of nominating two very dark comedies.

VGThuy

However, the movie wasn't nominated for the "Best Cast" award at the SAGs, their equivalent of Best Picture. When it comes to comedies vs dramas, Oscar tends to lean on the side of the dramas. The only real comedy nominated was "Get Out." Guess Oscar didn't like the idea of nominating two very dark comedies.

It did get the important Producer's Guild Nomination and Writer's Guild Nomination the former being the biggest indicator of a Best Pic nomination. However, this is a weird year and every movie that has a chance to win is missing some big precursor that most Best Pic nominees/winners tend to collect. Like The Shape of Water is now the front runner but missed a SAG nomination for Best Cast as well though at the Oscars it received three nominations for acting alone, which is a strange occurrence. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri just missed out on a Best Director nomination which is the biggest thing going by stats. Both Get Out and Lady Bird missed out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations at the BAFTA which has a lot of overlap with Academy membership and both directors of those films missed out on Golden Globe nominations but got the important Director's Guild nominations before these awards were announced.

Inessence

Yeah considering its previous nominations at other guilds and award shows. At least Picture and Screenplay.

Those were long shots, but if best picture had been nominated, Margot would have been the first woman to be nominated for best acting and best picture for a movie she produced.

VGThuy

Those were long shots, but if best picture had been nominated, Margot would have been the first woman to be nominated for best acting and best picture for a movie she produced.

It wasn't as long of a shot as some other films, but it not being nominated wasn't a surprise either. I think the studio was seriously hoping it got in and had its expectations raised based on the precursors. Now it seems back to normal with a surprise editing nomination.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'd say No, myself. I expected Margot and Alison to get nominated but absolutely nothing else. Not for Oscars anyway.

You should really stop hating on this movie based on what you think it is about. It's not like you. :)

VGThuy

Again, it's not based on how you feel. It's based on the awards it was already nominated for that had overlapping membership like the Writer's Guild of America and Producer's Guild of America. I wasn't surprised that it didn't get nominated for Picture and Screenplay, but it wasn't like Transformers or Wonder Woman where a screenplay and picture nomination would have been a total shock.

Anyway, I'm watching the movie tomorrow and believe it or not I'll have an open mind despite feeling certain things about what I've already seen.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Again, it's not based on how you feel.
I should have been more clear. My "feels" are based on how people were talking. There was a lot of talk pre-Oscars about those two being nominated. And they were. No talk about other categories until other Awards came out with their lists but they didn't really win any of those which, to me, means they were longshots for Oscar nominations.

BaileyCatts

Gee, since you seem to be suggesting she threw caution to the wind wearing that dress: I wonder if she would have worn it if there was no whack and Nancy was competing...

Oh I believe she would have. :p 1994 was it for her, and I believe she knew it. Her skating was already on a downswing compared to how well she was improving 1991-1992, and then she stopped working as hard and her skating suffered. No way she had the work ethic to put in the time to bring her skating back up to 1992ish levels and with on-the-rise new kids Michelle, Nicole and Tara on the horizon, she was done. I think she knew it, and it was her final FU to the judges knowing she wouldn't be back. And at the time I thought this, I was still a huge Tonya fan and still believed that dress was a feck-off to the judges. But that's just me ..... and I'll always believe that was the intent of that dress. :p
:EVILLE:

Last edited:

vesperholly

No way she had the work ethic to put in the time to bring her skating back up to 1992ish levels and with on-the-rise new kids Michelle, Nicole and Tara on the horizon, she was done.
I'll give you Michelle and Nicole, but Tara was a Novice in 1994 :p

Tonya was many things but forward-thinking was far from one of them.

jenniferlyon

:shuffle: that's right. I don't even think I knew who Tara was in 1994. Must have been projecting my thoughts to 1996. sorry! :p

Tara became famous a year or so later, during the skating boom. There was sort of this push to market "child star" skaters. I don't know if this was because of Oksana (who was, at that time, the youngest OGM since Sonja Henie) or if the powers-that-be wanted the sport to "return to innocence" after the whack. Or else the parents of young, up-and-coming skaters decided to strike while the iron was hot. But kids like Tara, Michelle, and the Steiglers were getting agents and appearing in ice shows.

Inessence

I thought the kids took over once the last of the school figure trained skaters retired and it became a jumping contest. Young girls apparently have a better jumping ability before reaching full womanhood.

Yazmeen

I thought the kids took over once the last of the school figure trained skaters retired and it became a jumping contest. Young girls apparently have a better jumping ability before reaching full womanhood.

Combination of exciting new kids (Michelle, Tara), pushy parents, and younger bodies being able to jump better.

jenniferlyon

True, but these kids were famous a year or two before they ever won any major senior-level events.

bardtoob

if the powers-that-be wanted the sport to "return to innocence" after the whack. Or else the parents of young, up-and-coming skaters decided to strike while the iron was hot. But kids like Tara, Michelle, and the Steiglers were getting agents and appearing in ice shows.

... Well, it certainly was not the PTB in US Figure Skating for Tara ... Apparently US Figure Skating basically said to Tara, "You have your gold medal. You can go now."

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I saw the film tonight with a couple of skating friends. We all really enjoyed it and thought it was very well done. Particularly editing in the skating scenes. But it was funnier than I though it would be. The way everyone said "The incident" really summed it up. It actually had a Goodfella's feeling about it in regards to the documentary style.

I think Margot's performance, while of course she wasn't a real physical match for Tonya, I thought did a great job.

Vagabond

As it turned out, eliminating school figures happened at almost the same time as the breakup of the Soviet Union, which led to there being some very talented skaters with an incentive to stay in skating, rather than to retire. These events were followed by other events. As a result, women well into their twenties have had much more noteworthy success since figures were eliminated than they did in the three decades or so before. Examples: Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Maria Butyrskaya, Tatiana Malinina, Carolina Kostner., Akiko Suzuki, and Ashley Wagner.

We might even see a Ladies' medalist at the Olympics or Worlds this year who would be in her thirties. :fan:

cmk

As it turned out, eliminating school figures happened at almost the same time as the breakup of the Soviet Union, which led to there being some very talented skaters with an incentive to stay in skating, rather than to retire. These events were followed by other events. As a result, women well into their twenties have had much more noteworthy success since figures were eliminated than they did in the three decades or so before. Examples: Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Maria Butyrskaya, Tatiana Malinina, Carolina Kostner., Akiko Suzuki, and Ashley Wagner.

We might even see a Ladies' medalist at the Olympics or Worlds this year who would be in her thirties. :fan:
Carolina better skate better than she did at Euros if she wants to be on the Olympic podium.

gkelly

As it turned out, eliminating school figures happened at almost the same time as the breakup of the Soviet Union, which led to there being some very talented skaters with an incentive to stay in skating, rather than to retire.

I think that is true.

However, of the ladies who were competing in the 1980s with school figures, the goal seemed to be to get triple salchow and triple toe and maybe one other triple if you were a good jumper and otherwise aim to be well-rounded in other skills especially figures.

So most skaters who were already over 20 ca. 1990-91 had no incentive to continue with two or three triples. The younger girls coming on the scene ca. 1993-95 had been training as many triples as possible since juniors or before.

For those who came up in the 1990s and 2000s, getting all the triples was always the goal, so older skaters don't suffer from a generational difference in jump content, just from whether their bodies are still able to execute what they learned in their teens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information