Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
For all we know (which is nothing really ;)), Chartrand and McLeod could be in a tryout phase at 4CC. Only time will tell.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
At least once McLeod has asked other coaches at Worlds to "take on" a skater so that she could focus solely on Kevin. Unless she has changed her ways, I would be suspicious of the possibility that she would agree to take on another skater when she is there with Kevin.

Rock2

Perhaps it's just a case where Michelle was not able to make it and the Team asked Joanne as a favour, given she was there with Kevin. One can hope, right. Sylvia? :(

That or the whole coaching team was fired (or jumped ship) after this year's debacle culminating in nationals.

In such a scenario you survey who might already be going to 4CC and find someone to coach/babysit you for the event.

Agreed, we'll find out the longer term plan soon enough.

For now, I can't imagine how Alaine would be able to get herself together for this event so soon after nationals and the emotional aftermath. Here's hoping she can end her season on a high(er) note.

Rafter

This press release says Chartrand is coached by Joanne McLeod.

https://skatecanada.ca/2018/01/cana...four-continents-figure-skating-championships/

Not to sound rude, but I think she’d have been better off staying with Michelle Leigh if this was the change she was going to make... :shuffle:

But maybe any change would be good for Alaine at this point. I remember Annie Bellemare improving under McLeod and I was dubious of that change as well.

Wow if true. I’m sure Michelle Leigh thought her ticket to Korea was a given. Wonder which party ended the relationship.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
All of mcleod’s Students have UR issues

True, but McLeod did help Annie Bellemare regain her confidence in herself, and that helped Annie's jumps be consistent when it counted. Sometimes fixing jumps is more mental than physical.

Joanne McLeod has no shortage of students, she runs the largest Skating Centre in BC.
Moving to Vancouver might be a good thing for Chartrand if it gets her away from her family.

But how many have the potential to get her to worlds, Grand Prix events, etc...?

The more I think about it, if Alaine’s family is a problem, that sounds like Joanne’s kind of student :shuffle: I doubt it’ll be a good move for her though. Joanne tends to indulge crazy parents.

coppertop1

True, but McLeod did help Annie Bellemare regain her confidence in herself, and that helped Annie's jumps be consistent when it counted. Sometimes fixing jumps is more mental than physical.

I don't think Annie had UR problems, she had big jumps. Alaine seems to have technical

But how many have the potential to get her to worlds, Grand Prix events, etc...?

The more I think about it, if Alaine’s family is a problem, that sounds like Joanne’s kind of student :shuffle: I doubt it’ll be a good move for her though. Joanne tends to indulge crazy parents.

Like Mira's mom? I hadn't heard that Alaine had over involved parents before.

Which coaches could help Alaine with her jumping issues?

skatingguy

decently
McLeod skaters typically have small jumps that, though sometimes cheated, are often easier to control on landing and terrible Axel technique. All practice reports have mentioned that Chartrand was landing everything in practice but that didn't transfer to the competition, as everyone knows, so maybe the issue is that the extra adrenaline, and nerves of competition make it difficult for her to control her jumps, so maybe McLeod can help her control the technique better. Have to try something different because the direction has been poor for 3 years now.

mag

Of all the Vancouver area coaches, the choices are really McLeod, Keegan & Eileen Murphy, or Bruno Delmaestro & Kelly Champagne. That is really it that I can think of. I think Keegan has a couple of international level skaters, Taiwan and somewhere else? I would put Alaine with Bruno and Kelly because I don’t believe they have any students left at that level and they coached Ronald Lam to 14? or about in the World. He always had lovely technique. That, of course, would put her in the same rink as Austman, but given that Austman went to Christy Krall for help a month before Nationals ...

(But mainly just because Champagne is such a cool last name and so she should have an international student.)

coppertop1

Alaine is eighth after the SP at 4CC. She had a good skate. She was with McLeod but her coaches were still listed as Michelle Leigh and Cristy Crall. Alicia Pineault in 14th, Michelle Long is 17th.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
McLeod's students are generally glacial. I missed Tamura's SP, but in her FS she didn't even look like a Junior. I think 4 in SS would have been generous. It was that glaring.

I also realize Chartrand was skating the EX after the equivalent of a stomach punch, but she was gracious and trying hard, yet still slow, especially when she was doing character-based FW.

Therea are also Firus' first coach, Lorna Bauer, if she's still coaching, and the woman from Coquitlam with gorgeous blades who I saw competing as an adult when I went to see @overedge in the same adult comp. overedge told me she was a coach. (In Coquitlam, maybe?)

If Chartrand can land the jumps correctly in practice, then unless her technique isn't solidly grounded, then it sounds like she doesn't need some to teach her how to jump. She could certainly use someone who could work with her on mastering the blade.

I know the training center Chan was planning for was, at best, put on hold, but if he's moving out here after this season, maybe he'd at least consult?

ChiquitaBanana

Alaine should go to Kelowna with the Mongrain. Their skaters are well-rounded with great technique and some flair.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@kwanfan1818 I think that skater/coach was Roberta Sawatzky who's based in Aldergrove.

I may have missed something earlier in the thread. Is there a reason why Chartrand has to train in Vancouver? Or is she there only because she's working with McLeod?

Last edited:

GreatLakesGal

Not for about 2 Years now

Has it really been that long since Alaine worked with Orser? I know he was in the K&C with her at 2016 Skate Canada.

Not surprised it ended up not working out. It always seemed like an odd coaching arrangement.

mag

Therea are also Firus' first coach, Lorna Bauer, if she's still coaching, and the woman from Coquitlam with gorgeous blades who I saw competing as an adult when I went to see @overedge in the same adult comp. overedge told me she was a coach. (In Coquitlam, maybe?)

Bauer coaches at a basically recreational club. There is no way Chartrand could train on their sessions. Furthermore, other than the Firus brothers, her skaters tend to have less than average skating skills and even less than average competitive nerves. Would be interested to know who the “woman from Coquitlam” is. Unless they have added someone recently, their two female coaches are Kelly Champagne and Heather Austman (Larkyn Austman’s mother.)

Alaine should go to Kelowna with the Mongrain. Their skaters are well-rounded with great technique and some flair.

Can you name one even semi successful senior skater from Kelowna? Not being snarky, just that it is a subject of conversation throughout the Section that Kelowna seems to be able to get skaters to junior and then they fall apart and quit. Rachel Pettit and MacKenna Colthrop being excellent examples of skaters with huge potential who trained in Kelowna and quit before going senior. They have a very high injury rate as well.

Another possibility is that Alaine’s family decided they didn’t want to pay a coach to go with Alaine so McLeod is just pinch hitting for this comp.

mag

McLeod's students are generally glacial. I missed Tamura's SP, but in her FS she didn't even look like a Junior. I think 4 in SS would have been generous. It was that glaring.

That may be true, but Tamura’s SS are not nearly as bad as Coltop’s.

Rock2

Which coaches could help Alaine with her jumping issues?

It's quite possible the answer to this is 'no one'.

If the assessment is she needs brand new technique then I don't see that happening at this age when all your habits are so locked in. If her problems can be fixed with some adjustments then great...but I doubt that. I think we're looking at finding the right coach to tweak things to make her 10-20% better. I remember that being a quote from Callahan when he took on Robinson later in her career.

lyneyuki

Ouch, that's a harsh burn! But I guess I deserved it for making so many controversial posts here!

Anyway, my wife and I are going to be rooting for all the Canadian ladies at the Olympics! We have been looking up recipes for slow cooker poutine to make when NBC shows the skaters on prime time!

Slow cooker poutine?? That can't be. Fries must be crispy, you will spoil it for our ladies. Beside poutine really is from Quebec and none of our girls are from La Belle Province... I am kidding of course, you do as you please!

ChiquitaBanana

Slow cooker poutine?? That can't be. Fries must be crispy, you will spoil it for our ladies. Beside poutine really is from Quebec and none of our girls are from La Belle Province... I am kidding of course, you do as you please!
I am sure Kaetlyn ate some while she trained in Quebec way back then... :)

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

Can you name one even semi successful senior skater from Kelowna? Not being snarky, just that it is a subject of conversation throughout the Section that Kelowna seems to be able to get skaters to junior and then they fall apart and quit. Rachel Pettit and MacKenna Colthrop being excellent examples of skaters with huge potential who trained in Kelowna and quit before going senior. They have a very high injury rate as well.

I admire the Mongrain for taking the girls from sratch when they are basically toddler and making them the great well-rounded skaters. Success into seniors will come soon. It is easy for a well-reknown coach to have success at the senior level when you get all the good skaters when they are cooked or almost cooked. You just need one good senior skater and then they all flock to you... How many skaters did Orser take from A to Z? When you're big, you can take whoever you want, as you want. You don,t waste time with ok skater. You take the ones who have the most potential. I have more trust in someone who brings the most out of the skaters they have in their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information