2018 Oscar Nominations

VGThuy

I read a funny comment after the Broadcast Critics' Choice Awards where someone said they couldn't wait to see Timothée Chalamet win his first Oscar in thirty years for playing a historical figure in a generic biopic.

Cachoo

I don't mind the extra award shows when they explore comedy, musicals, science fiction and areas that often are overlooked by Oscar. And of course I do agree with those who call this a "golden age" for television. And I'm glad to see those shows and actors awarded too. I think Oscar should expand to a comedy/action category. I think being funny is harder than being "tragic."

Oh--I wanted to add that I'd love to see Mike Leigh win that special Oscar that is awarded each year to a director for his body of work. (He has seven Oscar nominations to date.)

Last edited:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
ITA with this. All these earlier award shows dilute the impact of the Oscars. At times I wonder if they influence each other? They seem to influence the Oscars.

Yes, they do influence them and not infrequently, the one who wins the Globe and SAG especially wins the Oscar.

But other issues can creep in, like the potential that the sexual harassment/assault charges may have knocked James Franco out of the Oscar race this year. For those who don't know the "Norbit" effect, it's widely believed that Eddie Murphy was on his way to an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in 2006. He won the Globe and SAG and other awards up until the Oscar for his amazing work in "Dreamgirls." And then before the Oscar voting, his movie "Norbit" was released to wide disdain and condemnation. It was a totally offensive movie where among multiple roles, he portrayed an enormous, black female she-devil (her name was "Rasputia," for cripes sake...). The movie was panned and he got nailed by the critics and public for that portrayal. On Oscar night he sat waiting for his name to be called, and then Alan Arkin won for "Little Miss Sunshine." Murphy supposedly exited the auditorium immediately afterward, and his career has frankly been on a downward slide since that night.

Next rule for the Oscar nominees: don't PO the voters...

ssminnow

I think Get Out was the best movie of the year. However, Daniel Kaluuya gave a rather average performance and his nomination really should have gone to James Franco. On the actress side, Streep's nomination should have gone to Chastain.

VGThuy

Yes, they do influence them and not infrequently, the one who wins the Globe and SAG especially wins the Oscar.

But other issues can creep in, like the potential that the sexual harassment/assault charges may have knocked James Franco out of the Oscar race this year. For those who don't know the "Norbit" effect, it's widely believed that Eddie Murphy was on his way to an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in 2006. He won the Globe and SAG and other awards up until the Oscar for his amazing work in "Dreamgirls." And then before the Oscar voting, his movie "Norbit" was released to wide disdain and condemnation. It was a totally offensive movie where among multiple roles, he portrayed an enormous, black female she-devil (her name was "Rasputia," for cripes sake...). The movie was panned and he got nailed by the critics and public for that portrayal. On Oscar night he sat waiting for his name to be called, and then Alan Arkin won for "Little Miss Sunshine." Murphy supposedly exited the auditorium immediately afterward, and his career has frankly been on a downward slide since that night.

Next rule for the Oscar nominees: don't PO the voters...

I really thought the scandal wouldn't have an effect on Franco getting nominated because it all came out like two days before the nominating ballots were due. Maybe the members of the actor's branch were such big procrastinators that they didn't fill them out and submit them until the very last minute, haha. It's also strange that Denzel got in for a movie I don't think ANYBODY is talking about.

PeterG

Very happy to see Lesley Manville get nominated for supporting actress for Phantom Thread.

IMO Michelle Williams not getting nominated for All the money in the world is a travesty. This is her best performance ever.

I am disappointed that I, Tonya is getting so much love. The movie is artistically 'cheap' - appealing to crude taste of the audience.

Lesley Manville was so brilliant in Another Year. I can't recommend that movie enough. It also stars Jim Broadbent and Imelda Staunton.

Totally agree about Michelle Williams being robbed. She just keeps giving stronger performances with each role.

I'm torn about I, Tonya. I agree that the movie has a tone that could make you think it has a feeling of cheapness to it, but I think that was kind of the point in a way. To make us feel uncomfortable with these people and their story...and hopefully make us question why we feel this way. I'm okay with the movie getting attention because the themes of the movie are ones which we need to address. I didn't comment in my review in the movie thread about the sexist aspect of the movie, I should think more about that and post again.

Oscar nominations closed just two days after the allegations about James Franco came out, so it's difficult to gauge how much those hurt his chances for a nomination and how much of it was apathy for the movie which despite a lot of critical love ended up with only a writing nomination, where's it not highly likely to win.

On The View this morning, I thought they said there was only a week of voting left for nominations after the allegations came out. But maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention and it was only a few days like you say. Ever since the first trailer came out for The Disaster Artist, I've been wondering if Franco would get a nomination. But there's only five spots available, so there's always going to be performances of note that are not recognized.

VGThuy

Mike Leigh has some of my favorite filmography and Lesley Manville in Another Year gives an incredible performance and probably the best in that entire year. She, with Sally Hawkins in Happy-Go-Lucky, and David Thelewis in Naked are like three of the most amazing performances to not be Oscar nominated and those are all Mike Leigh films.

screech

Of the top films, this year I've seen Get Out (didn't love it), I, Tonya (well acted but LONG), Dunkirk (found it a bit hard to follow at times), and Disaster Artist (once I got used to the accent I loved it!)

I hope if James Franco was left out it was because voters didn't love his performance (for some reason) and not because of the controversy. It was (IMO) a really well done film, and he did great in it.

But then again, Gary Oldman got the nomination (and likely win) and he has a sketchy history with women as well...

VGThuy

But then again, Gary Oldman got the nomination (and likely win) and he has a sketchy history with women as well...

Some who want the Best Actor race to get exciting are hoping Lesley Manville does the Oscar campaign junket and tell people what a horrible ex-husband he was. I truly doubt that's going to happen, but I did hear some questioning Oldman after his SAG win.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really thought the scandal wouldn't have an effect on Franco getting nominated because it all came out like two days before the nominating ballots were due. Maybe the members of the actor's branch were such big procrastinators that they didn't fill them out and submit them until the very last minute, haha. It's also strange that Denzel got in for a movie I don't think ANYBODY is talking about.

I was surprised by Denzel's nomination. I had seen the trailer of that movie many times in theatres and had no desire to see the movie. It ran for many weeks though. I can't judge if he deserved that nomination because I didn't see the movie.

I do plan on seeing Disaster Artist. James Franco is a very good actor. I will enjoy the performance, regardless of anything else. I don't know much about the allegations so I have to reserve my judgment.

annie720

Get Out and 3 Billboards FTW!

I enjoyed I, Tonya but I enjoyed it in spite of Margot Robbie who I thought was wrong for the part. Very surprised at that nomination. Very much on board with Janney!

Thought The Post would get more. It's one of two nominated movies that I haven't seen, so I was only going by word of mouth.

ETA: A little surprised about Dunkirk's nominations though I kind of understand why. It was my least favorite movie of the year.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Get Out and 3 Billboards FTW!

I enjoyed I, Tonya but I enjoyed it in spite of Margot Robbie who I thought was wrong for the part. Very surprised at that nomination. Very much on board with Janney!

Thought The Post would get more. It's one of two nominated movies that I haven't seen, so I was only going by word of mouth.

I am surprised that Spielberg didn't get a Director nomination for Post. It is an excellent movie, and very timely. Thus could be th 'All the president's men' of our time.

BaileyCatts

Sort of Oscar question ...... now that its coming back around and all the jokes are starting up again about the wrong envelope last year, why is Warren Beatty the one who took all the heat for that mistake when it was Faye Dunaway that read the wrong card?

peibeck

Simply looking
Sort of Oscar question ...... now that its coming back around and all the jokes are starting up again about the wrong envelope last year, why is Warren Beatty the one who took all the heat for that mistake when it was Faye Dunaway that read the wrong card?

I don't think he's "taking the heat" I think he's just appearing in the promos with Jimmy Kimmel because he has a sense of humor. Something Faye Dunaway reportedly lacks. :p

PeterG

Christopher Plummer (at 88) becomes the oldest person to ever receive an acting nomination.

And did I hear correctly that Rachel Morrison's "best cinematography" nomination (for Mudbound) is the very first nomination for a woman in the category? :eek:

This year seems more obvious that different branches came up with the nominees for their respective categories. Disappointed that Call Me By Your Name didn’t get more nominations and that Hong Chau was snubbed.

There was a lot of talk about Chau getting a nomination. So I was surprised that Octavia Spencer got a best supporting actress nod...I don't remember hearing any talk about her performance being a possible Oscar nominee.

Yay for Peele and Gerwig!!!! I loved Get Out. I enjoyed Lady Bird as well but wasn’t quite as enamored with it as others were but just glad to see some diversity in the Best Director nominees.

On the news they said that Gerwig is only the fifth female director in Oscar's 90 year history to receive a nomination. And that Peele is only the third person to get nominations for picture, director and screenplay on their very first film.

Japanfan

Mike Leigh has some of my favorite filmography and Lesley Manville in Another Year gives an incredible performance and probably the best in that entire year. She, with Sally Hawkins in Happy-Go-Lucky, and David Thelewis in Naked are like three of the most amazing performances to not be Oscar nominated and those are all Mike Leigh films.

Don't forget Mike Leigh's Secrets and Lies, a masterful, wonderful film.

Loved Naked, and love David Thewlis.

I also enjoyed his Vera Drake, which was about a woman who performed abortions back in the day when they were still illegal. It didn't get a whole lot of publicity or acclaim, but was very well-done, and I applaud Leigh for taking on a topic that the movie industry shuns. The only American film I can remember that dealt directly with abortion was "If These Walls Could Talk", which featured three women at different points in time (Sissy Spacek and Demi Moore were two of them). It was very good, but also came out a very long time ago.

Cachoo

I love David Thewlis too....he is so underappreciated imho. I think he stole the show in the latest "Fargo." I'm glad he received great recognition in Europe for "Naked." And Sally Hawkins is having a moment now. As for Manville ita about "Another Year" but I loved her most in Leigh's "All or Nothing." If I see her, Ruth Sheen and Timothy Spall in a film together I will look to see if it is Mike Leigh's production.

D

Deleted member 40371

Dunkerque ??? Really ???? That movie is a bore !!!!
A movie that whitewashed history as well..,
I am glad two of my favourite actress got nominated, Saoirse Ronan (It is hard to not like her after Brooklyn) and Sally Hawkins.

Japanfan

I am glad two of my favourite actress got nominated, Saoirse Ronan (It is hard to not like her after Brooklyn) and Sally Hawkins.

For me, it's actually hard to like Ronan after Brooklyn. But although I didn't care for the film (found it quite superficial), my dislike is probably more a reflection of my dislike for the man who played her boyfriend/husband-to-be. I thought he did a very bad job of channeling Marlin Brando.

I also don't think the film allowed Ronan to exhibit much range, so should be fair and give her another chance.

Ladybird has piqued my interest but I'm not inspired to shell out $13. to see it in a theater - will wait for it to accessible on Pay-Per-View.

katmari

"The Post" ending up with just 2 nominations is somewhat of a surprise as well, including John Williams getting a nod for "Star Wars" instead of "The Post" for score.

While I'm not surprised John Williams was nominated, I also thought it would be for The Post and not The Last Jedi. My favorite John Williams score from last year though is from another nominated film, the animated short Dear Basketball. If that category allowed more than two people to receive an Oscar, I'm sure he would have been included in it's nomination as well.

Dear Basketball

pat c

There was a lot of talk about Chau getting a nomination. So I was surprised that Octavia Spencer got a best supporting actress nod...I don't remember hearing any talk about her performance being a possible Oscar nominee.

I did, but I can't remember the reviewer or where I read it. I thought there might be more of a buzz about OS as the part was supposedly written with her in mind.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I completely forgot about this. I don't even remember what exactly happened.

VGThuy

I had a feeling that Chau’s chances were dead when the reviews of Downsizing came out. She’s not a big name nor did she have a lot of support so she was dependent on the film receiving positive reviews to keep her name in there and to encourage members to actually watch her performance.

peibeck

Simply looking
While I'm not surprised John Williams was nominated, I also thought it would be for The Post and not The Last Jedi. My favorite John Williams score from last year though is from another nominated film, the animated short Dear Basketball. If that category allowed more than two people to receive an Oscar, I'm sure he would have been included in it's nomination as well.

Dear Basketball

Thank you so much for sharing! :cheer: A great animated short, and also inspiring. The message is certainly timely right now with the Olympics so close as well. In fact, I could see skaters using that music for a program (if they could get their hands on a copy). :)

If I remember correctly, unless designated (as in animated short/documentary short), all nominees must come from full length features.

If anyone else has/finds links to Vimeo or YouTube of the short length features, please feel free to post them. Thank you again for sharing @katmari

vesperholly

I also enjoyed his Vera Drake, which was about a woman who performed abortions back in the day when they were still illegal. It didn't get a whole lot of publicity or acclaim, but was very well-done, and I applaud Leigh for taking on a topic that the movie industry shuns.
I've seen Vera Drake; it was excellent. It got Oscar noms for best actress (Imelda Staunton), best director (Mike Leigh) and best screenplay. Staunton also got a Golden Globe nom and a pile of critics' awards.

VGThuy

Don't forget Mike Leigh's Secrets and Lies, a masterful, wonderful film.

Loved Naked, and love David Thewlis.

I also enjoyed his Vera Drake, which was about a woman who performed abortions back in the day when they were still illegal. It didn't get a whole lot of publicity or acclaim, but was very well-done, and I applaud Leigh for taking on a topic that the movie industry shuns. The only American film I can remember that dealt directly with abortion was "If These Walls Could Talk", which featured three women at different points in time (Sissy Spacek and Demi Moore were two of them). It was very good, but also came out a very long time ago.

Now you're making me wonder if there has been any big name American film that came out recently that dealt with abortion and reproductive rights.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas

I believe people requested to change their votes, perhaps the Academy allowed it.

VGThuy

Is that reported anywhere? I didn’t know people could change their votes once it’s been submitted.

snoopy

I saw the Denzel movie. His character had a mental illness (and it was based on a true story). It was not a fun movie and I would never sit through it again but it is one of those roles where it’s almost an obligation to give it a nomination. Like when a gorgeous actress shaves off all of her hair or puts on 30 pounds for a role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information