Which man has had the hardest competition during his reign as king

Which man had hardest competition during their reign

• Total voters

bumblebeevich

Banned Member
The candidates I would list are:

Boitano 1986-1992, including his professional career where he was also dominant, and as he was generally regarded the best in the world amateur or professional during all these years.

Hoffmann 1974-1980, since when you consider that whole period he was the most consistent and had the most success of everyone, particularly with all his European titles.

Hanyu 2014-2018

Chan 2009-2013, since even though his reign didnt really start until 2011 the seeds of it were planted in 2009 with his dominant Four Continents win and world silver (which most thought should have been gold)

Curry 1976, only a 1 year reign but since many consider him the best skater ever he should be included

Plushenko 2000-2006, I started in 2000 as his dominance sort of started that year despite his bombing worlds as he won all of the Grand Prix final, Europeans, and Russian Nationals that year.

Yagudin 1998-2002

Fernandez 2015-2016

Stojko 1994-1998

Browning 1989-1993

I would exclude the following as it is obvious they wouldnt qualify as their competition wasnt even strong and I could include 10 poll options so had to leave someone out anyway, and apart from Hamilton these are generally regarded much weaker skaters than all of the above additionaly.

Hamilton 1981-1984

Lysacek 2009-2010

Lambiel 2005-2006

aliceanne

I would say Orser, but you don't have him on your list. He was the jumper who was overshadowed by the performer Hamilton, then when his artistic range improved he was overshadowed by the jumper Boitano. Other than figures, he had it all, and was on top of the competitive scene for 8 years, followed by a pro career that lasted into his 40's.

bumblebeevich

Banned Member
aliceanne, I wish I could include Orser but for obvious reasons it is kind of hard to someone who has nicknamed himself as Mr. Second Place as having any kind of reign. I agree he did have the hardest competition of anyone, which is the very reason he was so often Mr. Second Place to various different skaters, despite so many incredible performances. That and some bad luck, and a few arguable wuzrobbings too. I wonder today if there were even rumours he was gay, and it is one reason the judging often went against him in close calls, but then again I would guess there were rumours over Boitano too.

briancoogaert

Very difficult to answer. For sure, Browning vs Petrenko, Yagudin vs Plushenko, Boitano vs Orser, Hanyu vs Chan or Fernandez are interesting rivalries.

blue_idealist

Yagudin, since he not only had a rivalry with Plushenko (and in his own country to boot), he was also faced with other very high-quality skaters like Stojko, Goebel, Weiss, Eldredge, Honda, Abt.

angelflies

Banned Member
I would pick Yagudin. He faced amazing competition his whole career. Although Hoffmann would be a great choice too.

Stojko should not be included in the poll at all. He only faced undermarked Eldredge and really inconsistent Urmanov and Kulik. If Kulik and Urmanov were more consistent he would have 0 world titles. If Eldredge got the scores he deserved Stojko would lose his 95 and 97 world titles and his lone GPF title in 97 too. And Stojko is so overmarked and such a crybaby about his scores when he is in fact being held up.

Spun Silver

I think Hanyu because the quadmania that happened right smack during his "reign." He's gone from leading the attack technically to playing defense, he's been defeated by Javy at Worlds repeatedly, he's been hurt because of the crazy stuff he's trying to keep up with, he's had to deal with rising stars both nationally and internationally, he faced Patrick in 2014 who really could have beaten him... his crown is heavy indeed.

usova94gold

Banned Member
Hanyu by far. I mean the guy is probably the best skater ever and has only 2 world titles and a narrow Olympic gold, which means his competition must be unbelievable.

Plushenko only had Yagudin, and won most of his titles after Yagudin having his career ending hip injury.

lala

Plushenko only had Yagudin,Plushenko won most of his titles after Yagudin having his career ending hip injury.

Yes, I would say Plushenko won more titles when Yagudin retired because when they had that great rivalry Plushy was 15-19 y.o.
Plushy 1998-2002 (15 -19 y.o.)
OG: 1 silver
WCH: 1 gold, 2 silvers, 1 bronze
ECH: 2 silvers, 2 golds
GPF: 2 golds, 1 silver , 1 bronze
GP: 10 golds, 3 silvers
Finlandia Trophy, Goodwill Games: 2 golds and 2 silvers
Rus Nat: 4 golds
In total : 21 golds, 11 silvers, 2 bronzes
This wasn't Plushy's peak time.

Yagudin 1998-2002 (18-22 y. o.)
OG 1 gold
WCH 4 golds, 1 silvers, 1 bronze
ECH 3 golds, 2 silvers
GF 2 golds, 1 silver
GP 12 golds, 2 silvers, 2bronzes
Goodwill games 1 bronze
Rus Nat 4 silvers
In total: 22 golds, 6 silvers, 4 bronzes

I can't see big difference. It's true, Yagudin won more major titles, but don't forget their age difference! Look at Yag's titles between 15-19..

I don't know why do you say Plushenko had only Yagudin..Joubert, the wonderful Lambiel, Buttle, Weir,.

But true, Yuzuru has too many. I voted to him.

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I’m not sure what “hardest competition” means? The closest scoring, most challengers, etc? Not sure I know or care.

But the best Olympics for men EVER ... John Curry and Toller Cranston. That is all you will ever need:D

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
I voted for Elvis Stojko. I think that men's skating was much harder in those days, at least in a competitive sense. Now the hardness comes from jumps that almost no one can seem to do consistently! I guess I miss the type of hardness from the 80's and 90's. Elvis also had that "Dragon" program with was one of the best ever set to music from a movie (another one, of course, was Galustyan's "Mouse Hunt")!

bumblebeevich

Banned Member
It is kind of interesting to see Yagudin with 12 votes and Plushenko with only 1 when they were basically contemporaries. Then again the field was a lot better in 99-2002 than what it was after 2002 which is probably the reason for that. Although an event like 2004 worlds was just spectacular and Plushenko won that handily.

Still was Yagudin's competition that hard. He faced Plushenko but other than while there were some good skaters who was really a threat to him. Stojko was past his prime and never the same post his Nagano groin pull, and no threat to beat Yagudin unless he bombed by then. Weiss was a contender, but really no competition for Yagudin either. Goebel beat Yagudin once when he in Yagudin's own words "today was his absolute best skating and my absolute worst". Stojko, Goebel, Abt, Weiss, old quadless Eldredge had a combined 1 win over Yagudin post his 98 world title. Maybe some of that is how great Yagudin is, but that even includes events he was badly injured and nowhere near his best like the 2001 worlds he still took 2nd place to only Plushenko.

While the 2003-2006 seems weaker than 1999-2002 (and Plushenko dealt with 99-2002 too) Plushenko actually lost a couple times to Joubert, Goebel was close to him more than once in 2002-2003, Lambiel didnt seem to be a direct threat to Plushenko but did win worlds twice, and Sandhu even beat him once or twice IIRC.

Regardless neither would be my pick. I would put Hoffmann, Hanyu, Fernandez, and Chan all over both in this category personally. To make it clear I am not saying say Hoffmann is a better skater than Yagudin or Plushenko of course, he definitely isnt, just that IMO his competition was harder. 74-80 was a super tough field to deal with as he had to face all of Curry, Cousins, Kovalev, Volkov, Ovchinnkov, Cranston, Tickner who were all serious contenders as well and capable of beating him everytime out, and he still generally was the most consistent guy and had the best record and most wins over that period even dealing with that.

lala

It is kind of interesting to see Yagudin with 12 votes and Plushenko with only 1 when they were basically contemporaries. Then again the field was a lot better in 99-2002 than what it was after 2002 which is probably the reason for that. Although an event like 2004 worlds was just spectacular and Plushenko won that handily.

Still was Yagudin's competition that hard. He faced Plushenko but other than while there were some good skaters who was really a threat to him. Stojko was past his prime and never the same post his Nagano groin pull, and no threat to beat Yagudin unless he bombed by then. Weiss was a contender, but really no competition for Yagudin either. Goebel beat Yagudin once when he in Yagudin's own words "today was his absolute best skating and my absolute worst". Stojko, Goebel, Abt, Weiss, old quadless Eldredge had a combined 1 win over Yagudin post his 98 world title. Maybe some of that is how great Yagudin is, but that even includes events he was badly injured and nowhere near his best like the 2001 worlds he still took 2nd place to only Plushenko.

While the 2003-2006 seems weaker than 1999-2002 (and Plushenko dealt with 99-2002 too) Plushenko actually lost a couple times to Joubert, Goebel was close to him more than once in 2002-2003, Lambiel didnt seem to be a direct threat to Plushenko but did win worlds twice, and Sandhu even beat him once or twice IIRC.

Regardless neither would be my pick. I would put Hoffmann, Hanyu, Fernandez, and Chan all over both in this category personally. To make it clear I am not saying say Hoffmann is a better skater than Yagudin or Plushenko of course, he definitely isnt, just that IMO his competition was harder. 74-80 was a super tough field to deal with as he had to face all of Curry, Cousins, Kovalev, Volkov, Ovchinnkov, Cranston, Tickner who were all serious contenders as well and capable of beating him everytime out, and he still generally was the most consistent guy and had the best record and most wins over that period even dealing with that.

Just for accuracy Plushenko lost to Eman because he did 3 quad combinations, and 2 two was allowed. He receieved zero points for it. He lost to Joubert once. No more from anyone not cuple of times... When Lambiel won in 2005, Plushenko was injured and WD, and Plush didn' compete on WCH after OG 2006 and Lambiel could win.

Last edited:

lala

I would pick Yagudin. He faced amazing competition his whole career. Although Hoffmann would be a great choice too.

Stojko should not be included in the poll at all. He only faced undermarked Eldredge and really inconsistent Urmanov and Kulik. If Kulik and Urmanov were more consistent he would have 0 world titles. If Eldredge got the scores he deserved Stojko would lose his 95 and 97 world titles and his lone GPF title in 97 too. And Stojko is so overmarked and such a crybaby about his scores when he is in fact being held up.

and @blue_idealist Yagudin had only Plushenko because Plushenko also beat those amazing competitors like Eldredge, Stojko, Weiss etc... Who won the gold that was between them. No one else could win only them.

Red Hot Chili Keegan

Banned Member
Hanyu by far. I mean the guy is probably the best skater ever and has only 2 world titles and a narrow Olympic gold, which means his competition must be unbelievable.

Plushenko only had Yagudin, and won most of his titles after Yagudin having his career ending hip injury.

I disagree. Also, you sure like to post under a lot of different names in this thread. My husband thinks so too.

Fiero425

Funny how all the people mentioned as rivals you don't respect, but 2 of them have Olympic GOLD! :2faced: :plush: :rofl:

Fiero425

Just for accuracy Plushenko lost to Eman because he did 3 quad combinations, and 2 two was allowed. He receieved zero points for it. He lost to Joubert once. No more from anyone not cuple of times... When Lambiel won in 2005, Plushenko was injured and WD, and Plush didn' compete on WCH after OG 2006 and Lambiel could win.

After Yagudin retired, Plushenko had no peer and when he lost, it was all on him; mistake, injured, or didn't skate! :rolleyes:

Fiero425

and @blue_idealist Yagudin had only Plushenko because Plushenko also beat those amazing competitors like Eldredge, Stojko, Weiss etc... Who won the gold that was between them. No one else could win only them.

Plushenko was Yagudin's only peer! Even when he skated poorly, the judges gave him the marks to win except one instance where he was bloody awful; missed jumps and even tipped forward falling on a spiral sequence giving the gold to Tim Goebel! :rolleyes: :plush: :respec: :yikes:

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

Really! If Hanyu has then Fernandez also..

Javi is not the better between he and Hanyu in terms of actual skating. Hanyu's jumping abilities are superior. Hanyu's edge control and blade mastery are from another planet. Javi is not poor in either of those areas and lately, in the big events, his prowess is manifest and proven with world titles. This injury is THE ONLY reason i'm doubting Yuzuru's second Olympic title. I am an immense fan and am in awe of his well exectued plan to add technical merit. Yuzuru has chosen to rely on great jumps but also on great programs. Not his best but Olympic worthy for sure.

I actually think that Javi and Hanyu are a modern Battle of the Brian's and not just because Javi and Orser have undeniable similarities.

joubertelegant

Banned Member
Clearly Joubert even though he isnt on the poll. He was king of the world of skating from 2006 world to 2009 considering he was robbed in 2006, robbed and only lost due to mistakes in 2008, and only lost due to mistakes in 2009. And won in 2007. He had peak Lambiel, peak Chan, peak Verner, peak Lysacek, peak Takahashi and he dominated them all.

skatingguy

decently
Clearly Joubert even though he isnt on the poll. He was king of the world of skating from 2006 world to 2009 considering he was robbed in 2006, robbed and only lost due to mistakes in 2008, and only lost due to mistakes in 2009. And won in 2007. He had peak Lambiel, peak Chan, peak Verner, peak Lysacek, peak Takahashi and he dominated them all.
:rofl: Wow, that's hilarious. Very well written hyperbole.

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
Javi is not the better between he and Hanyu in terms of actual skating. Hanyu's jumping abilities are superior. Hanyu's edge control and blade mastery are from another planet. Javi is not poor in either of those areas and lately, in the big events, his prowess is manifest and proven with world titles. This injury is THE ONLY reason i'm doubting Yuzuru's second Olympic title. I am an immense fan and am in awe of his well exectued plan to add technical merit. Yuzuru has chosen to rely on great jumps but also on great programs. Not his best but Olympic worthy for sure.

I actually think that Javi and Hanyu are a modern Battle of the Brian's and not just because Javi and Orser have undeniable similarities.

I dont think he is saying Javi is a better skater than Hanyu. He is saying if Hanyu's competition is super hard, Javi's is just as much since he faces all the same people.

Japanfan

I voted for Elvis Stojko. I think that men's skating was much harder in those days, at least in a competitive sense. Now the hardness comes from jumps that almost no one can seem to do consistently! I guess I miss the type of hardness from the 80's and 90's. Elvis also had that "Dragon" program with was one of the best ever set to music from a movie (another one, of course, was Galustyan's "Mouse Hunt")!

I don't think Elvis had the hardest competition, as he won his titles based on the strength of his quad, having stronger technical content than his competitors, and his ability to rise to the occasion in competition.

Elvis did face difficulty because his style wasn't popular and remained limited in range. To win, he had to be pretty much perfect and others had to make mistakes.

I do think his "Dragon" program was a masterpiece and agree that it was one of the best ever set to movie music.

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
I don't think Elvis had the hardest competition, as he won his titles based on the strength of his quad, having stronger technical content than his competitors, and his ability to rise to the occasion in competition.

Elvis did face difficulty because his style wasn't popular and remained limited in range. To win, he had to be pretty much perfect and others had to make mistakes.

I do think his "Dragon" program was a masterpiece and agree that it was one of the best ever set to movie music.

Actually usually his competitors only won when he made mistakes. Even his 94 Olympic loss to Urmanov he singled the first triple axel. His 98 Olympics loss he was injured and didnt do the quad or he probably would have won. Eldredge lost to Stojko even when Todd was perfect, Stojko made mistakes, and didnt even try his quad.

Japanfan

Even his 94 Olympic loss to Urmanov he singled the first triple axel.

Urmanov made one mistake as well. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it involved a stumble that took him close to the boards for sure, and perhaps an UR.

It could have gone either way in terms of technical content, and came down to artistry. IIRC the judges were split 6-3. And I agreed with the decision to award Urmanov the Gold.

MAXSwagg

I dont think he is saying Javi is a better skater than Hanyu. He is saying if Hanyu's competition is super hard, Javi's is just as much since he faces all the same people.

That's true but Javi doesn't have the pressure, nowhere near. No man currently does. The closest was Patrick the season or two leading into Sochi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information