What will Dance field look like in 2018-19?

caseyedwards

Or just the team that is popular/successful to start doing it and then everyone has to follow.

The reason everyone did the acrobatic lifts was that it became a part of the VM vs DW rivalry and everyone else had to try to match it to look like the best.

I think some teams/ a lot of teams are certainly doing acrobatic lifts now just to try to make themselves stand out even if they know they actually won't get more points for it.
That’s the zhulin philosophy!

barbarafan

G/Poirier? Why would they retire now when coast is clear, definitely will be staying on. Same for H/D regardless of a medal at Olys or not.
Some of the juniors coming up are truly great...and novices on their tails....maybe not for coming year but the year after.

barbarafan

If the Chinese are paying attention, there will be a team showing up on Marie-France's doorstep the day after the World Championships end. The Chinese are hosting in four years, as I'm sure everyone knows, and I would imagine that they'd like to compete for a medal in the team event. They've got a chance this year, but four years from now, a stronger dance team (top 10) would be a big boost to their medal hopes.
Hard to say...MFD blends everything together...on ice..off ice...health..How will the chinese manage to work them to death and starve them there?

barbarafan

Yes what they did for P/C is unprecedented in the history of coaching IMO. Just watch P/C at the gp events in 2013 leading into 2014 euros/worlds, the improvement in one season is super natural.
Imo that will always be MTL's biggest legacy, I'd love to know how they turned a young talented couple (plenty of those) into skating Gods in 12 mnths, just nuts..

MFD tries to find the key to each team inside them and bring it out. The talent and beauty was always there but she saw a vision of what they could look like if she pulled it from inside them. That is the magic she has. And Patrice is the technical wizard. Romain paired up with them is producing amazing packages.

chapis

MFD tries to find the key to each team inside them and bring it out. The talent and beauty was always there but she saw a vision of what they could look like if she pulled it from inside them. That is the magic she has. And Patrice is the technical wizard. Romain paired up with them is producing amazing packages.

If you click on +Quote you can quote more than one person in the same post.

Bellanca

I'm not so sure that Maia and Alex are seriously contemplating sticking around for another (entire) quad. Success in the next few weeks could ultimately decide their fate, but no one knows what the future will hold for this lovely ice dance team. One step at a time... So, for now, good luck at the Olys, ShibSibs! :)

Dobre

Questions I have about the future:

-Who will stay in? When in doubt, I find it's always wise to assume the dancers will stay in.

-How long will Hagenauer stay in Montreal?

-Will Italy become more of an ice dance megacenter in Europe? (Scali, Fusar-Poli, Margaglio--that's a lot of Italian dance coaches and Anna & Luca have said they want to start an ice dance school).

-Are we getting a real turnover of ice dance coaches in Russia? Seems like the juniors are all with different coaches rather than Zhulin & Morozov. And it seems the juniors are more plentiful. Are the results of integrating more money into the Russian sports system starting to emerge in dance--which would generally be one of the last places for it to pay off in medals, seeing as how the senior dancers are generally older?

-Stepanova & Bukin, McNamara & Carpenter, Carreira & Ponomarenko, Loboda & Drozd--I like them all. May they stay together so we may see what they can bring to the sport.

-Can we please, please get more interesting footwork sequences? If all we are looking for is edging, that is what compulsory patterns are for. I want dynamic footwork that reflects different types of music.

-How are we going to reward extra difficulty when all the teams are maxing out level fours?

-Are the U.S., Canada, & Russia all going to grab three spots for Worlds next year? . . . Or even Italy? It's being held there.

I cannot predict the future. Sorry. Shan't try.
(It's just futile. Am remembering how three years ago I was told that Nathan was staying in juniors too long for his PCS to climb to podium levels, and that Nam was the one with the advantage. Am remembering being told four years ago that Ilinykh & Katsalapov were going to move into Zoueva's and push the Shibs out. And remembering how last year Mirai was described on a GS thread as less consistent than Mariah Bell).

Note: I think the problem for China is the lack of high-level ice dance training at a young age. Not the quality of coaches. The top Chinese dance teams have almost always been with top international coaches, as long as I have been watching them--which is roughly 15 years. But I gather they don't go to work with them until the teams become a priority at the senior level. Probably, those teams could spend more time with said coaches. But I think China needs stronger coaching for their athletes at an earlier stage of development. That is what it took in the U.S. for the dance teams to break through. The Russian coaches immigrated here, but we had to wait a generation for the younger athletes to grow up.

Note 2: I don't picture Gilles & Poirier getting to the top of the world podium (which doesn't mean they won't), but at this point I don't see any threat from Soucisse & Firus. I haven't seen Lajoie & Lagha live yet so I don't have an opinion there. I am curious if they will move straight up to seniors next season or do the JGP and then a post season (Nationals, 4CCs, etc.? in seniors).

Last edited:

Willin

I'm not so sure that Maia and Alex are seriously contemplating sticking around for another (entire) quad. Success in the next few weeks could ultimately decide their fate, but no one knows what the future will hold for this lovely ice dance team. One step at a time... So, for now, good luck at the Olys, ShibSibs! :)
This is the big question - they've been pretty open that they've considered not continuing at some points in the past, so one thinks they've been thinking about retirement for a while now. They're young enough to keep going, but who knows at this point if that conversation has really been going on at least since Sochi if not beforehand. I don't remember when they started that conversation, but I remember commentators talking about it before Fix You. (IIRC Only one wanted to retire - maybe Maia? So maybe we'll see one continue with another partner?)
I think they both have college degrees now as well, so it's not like skating would be their only option after the Olympics. I'm sure they could do broadcasting, shows, YouTube stuff, or just move on to a normal life if they choose not to continue.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I think Montreal works for teams if the Montreal Style will work for a team.

In retrospect Paul/Islam needed much bolder packaging than what Montreal could give them.
The european way of ice dancing works only if the skaters themselves have something strong to state. May said concept work on not work. That's what Marie&Patch were taught in Lyon. You have to bring yourself to the ice to be able to defend a program.
And that's what they are doing in Montreal.

IMO Paul & Islam didn't know who they were. Because they were never encouraged to before. Thus it never worked.

Marie has the vision, Patch check the levels, and Romain is the one checking it all fits together. That is how I see them.

legjumper

I have been waiting for Milan to become more of an ice dance megacenter, but I think Fusar-Poli will need to find her version of Papadakis/Cizeron to start attracting a stable of top-drawer talent. Dubreuil and Lauzon cut their coaching teeth on Hurtado/Diaz, but they needed Papadakis/Cizeron to jump to the next level. Fusar-Poli is still in her Hurtado/Diaz phase. Oh, how I would love to see her coach a World Champion team someday!...

Cachoo

Re StepBukin: Early in the season I remember Charlie talking about them as if they had turned a corner and really improved and now I'm hearing the same from Ben and Tanith though Ben wants to see more of an emotional connection between the skaters. I do hope we will continue to see them improve. They certainly had the crowd in Moscow even more than their countrymen.

kittysk8ts

Re StepBukin: Early in the season I remember Charlie talking about them as if they had turned a corner and really improved and now I'm hearing the same from Ben and Tanith though Ben wants to see more of an emotional connection between the skaters. I do hope we will continue to see them improve. They certainly had the crowd in Moscow even more than their countrymen.

Yes, Charlie tweeted about them today and said they finally got some scores that reflected their improvements. (paraphrasing)

Anyasnake

All they need is to hold their nerves and to skate a clean FD tomorrow. Their PCS will get much higher with that.
I noticed that not even Chock/Bates got a 75 SD this season. Wow.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I keep wondering why Klimova/Ponomarenko don't have more prominent students. Do they prefer to coach only lower levels? Are their facilities subpar? And Platov apparently moved to Florida; seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

blue_idealist

What do people think Zagorski/Guerreiro will do? They finished higher at Europeans than I thought they would. Anyone see them becoming podium contenders at Worlds, later in the quad? (They probably won't surpass S/B in Russia, but S/B might become gold medal contenders)

chapis

What do people think Zagorski/Guerreiro will do? They finished higher at Europeans than I thought they would. Anyone see them becoming podium contenders at Worlds, later in the quad? (They probably won't surpass S/B in Russia, but S/B might become gold medal contenders)

omg, no, she has poor posture and lines.

Reactions: Tak

morqet

rising like a phoenix

No, especially not if they stay with Kustarova. They'll probably get another trip to Euros next year (assuming B/S retire, S/K still around, S/B new number 1), but I'd expect the current crop of juniors to overtake them within a couple of seasons. They have decent speed and ice coverage, but weak posture and not great connection, and since going to Kustarova, they've resorted to her usual flailing choreo to try to mask deficiencies. I'm happy that they took their chance well this year, but there's nothing special enough there to make me think they'll be a big force in the future.

The really interesting thing for me in Russia is whether B/S will do worlds. B/S and S/B should be enough to get 3 spots back, but S/B and Z/G probably won't be (unless 4 out of the top 6 North American teams don't go, which I can't see happening either, as they all have very good chances to get on the podium). S/B and a healthy S/K could have a chance at 3 spots, and Zhulin said that Nikita started on ice again this week, although he also said he was looking at the pattern for next year, so perhaps we won't see them again until September. 4 consecutive years of Russia only having 2 spots would have been unthinkable this time in 2014.

tylersf

Football fields usually look the same every year. Yard indicators, goal posts at each end.
So wouldn't the dance field the be the same as well? Just a bunch of frozen ice in a rink? If they're changing the shape of rinks, they'd better tell the ice dancers.

chantilly

I’m a little concerned with it being a bit predictable and boring for four years.

One team winning everything all the time with such a ridiculous point spread above a handful of other teams that will have to settle for the last two spots. I’m guessing based on who makes the least amount of mistakes.

I admit I don’t watch juniors, because I’m already invested in seniors, so I just don’t have room for my nerves. I generally like to see how juniors fair in the jump to senior competition, especially in dance.

I really hope the ISU does a bit more work on the judging and requirements, especially levels

The expanded GOE is a great move in the right direction.

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
LOL - Maybe the Ice Dance arena can be shaped a little different for each competition. One time, they could skate around a fountain, like a donut shape or something. Another time, it could be like a figure 8.
I don't know much about dance at all.
Football fields usually look the same every year. Yard indicators, goal posts at each end.
So wouldn't the dance field the be the same as well? Just a bunch of frozen ice in a rink? If they're changing the shape of rinks, they'd better tell the ice dancers.

MarieM

No, especially not if they stay with Kustarova. They'll probably get another trip to Euros next year (assuming B/S retire, S/K still around, S/B new number 1), but I'd expect the current crop of juniors to overtake them within a couple of seasons. They have decent speed and ice coverage, but weak posture and not great connection, and since going to Kustarova, they've resorted to her usual flailing choreo to try to mask deficiencies. I'm happy that they took their chance well this year, but there's nothing special enough there to make me think they'll be a big force in the future.

Kustarova has learned a lot working with Elena, and it already shows in her junior skaters.
Let's remember that she has had Tiff&Jon since June. A very late start to their season. And they were very unfit by then since noone paid attention to them in Zhulin's group.
What she has done with them in such a short time? It is brilliant.
I agree the FD is a bore and that they are not made for this kind of programs at all. And don't blame Kustarova, blame Peter T who did the choreo.
But pay close attention to their SD. It's a great program and vehicle for them (when they perform it like at nationals mind you).
They are some of the fatest accross the ice, as could be seen in their rhumba pattern.
What they lack is finesse and togetherness.

The really interesting thing for me in Russia is whether B/S will do worlds. B/S and S/B should be enough to get 3 spots back, but S/B and Z/G probably won't be (unless 4 out of the top 6 North American teams don't go, which I can't see happening either, as they all have very good chances to get on the podium). S/B and a healthy S/K could have a chance at 3 spots, and Zhulin said that Nikita started on ice again this week, although he also said he was looking at the pattern for next year, so perhaps we won't see them again until September. 4 consecutive years of Russia only having 2 spots would have been unthinkable this time in 2014.

We'll see if B&S go to worlds, but IMO, they will.

The Observer

Carol Lane does seem to be good at PR and t.v. relations. In addition to being a coach, she's also managed to get herself into the unusual position of becoming a commentator on CBC. And G&P often get a lot of interviews and guest appearances on lots of t.v. shows and media. That may be her influence.

However, I also think there is a limit to Carol Lane's coaching abilities. So far, her dance school has only produced 2 top teams -- Gilles & Poirier and Crone & Poirier.

If G&P want to progress further in the next Olympic cycle, wouldn't it benefit them to make a coaching change and move to one of the top ice dancing sites in Montreal or Michigan?

Sugar64

I keep wondering why Klimova/Ponomarenko don't have more prominent students. Do they prefer to coach only lower levels? Are their facilities subpar? And Platov apparently moved to Florida; seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Anyone have news on Evgeny Platov?? I haven’t seen him in the KnC for awhile.

MarieM

However, I also think there is a limit to Carol Lane's coaching abilities. So far, her dance school has only produced 2 top teams -- Gilles & Poirier and Crone & Poirier.

If G&P want to progress further in the next Olympic cycle, wouldn't it benefit them to make a coaching change and move to one of the top ice dancing sites in Montreal or Michigan?

Uh I would not put Gilles with Crone. Crone was a fabulous skater and ice dancer, Gilles will never be that good.
I don't know why Lane didn't like Crone, but IMO, she lost her chance of reaching the top when she let her go or whatever happened.

I don't think Montreal would take them. But you never know ;)
I sure hope they don't take too many teams. And going there could work, but I'm not sure about that. They already have good choreography and packaging, all they lack is a technical coach to make Piper become better. And to teach her to shut her mouth ... and he could teach that to Lane.

IMO, Lane should stop commentating. It's going to hurt this team's chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information