From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Crikey.

As a Brit this interests me - as I think us Brits look like a right miserable bunch.

Brits look stoic compared to Americans. My Israeli husband, who lived in the US, makes fun of American cheerfulness and what he thinks is phoney niceness.

Now I find native Israelis brutally blunt but also open to personal conversations with complete strangers. The country of TMI. The French immigrants in my neighborhood are much more courtly and restrained.

The Russians (of recent immigration) are hilariously sour. I go to the same Russian grocery store almost once a week to buy contraband. Even with language issues (I communicate with salesgirls whose Hebrew is worse than mine, I don't speak Russian and they don't speak English) most of them are...dour. No smiles. No thank-you's.

I want TahBka to come with me so she can explain that I'm a Med uber. Maybe then they'll like me.

hanca

Values her privacy
The ladies competition will be like the Hunger games again. Are there any talented men among the juniors?
There are some. Not as many as in ladies, obviously, but it doesn’t look so empty any more. Ignatov and Erokhov got into JGPF. Samoilov would get there very likely too if he had two events (he was second in his only JGP event). There is also several young men who looked quite promising the previous season but this season was not that great -fighting with growing up, struggling to get the 3A and quads. Tutberidze’s Skirda is one of those.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Russian Team for Olympics:
Men: Kolyada, Aliev
Ladies: Medvedeva, Zagitova, Sotskova
Pairs: Tarasova/Morozov, Stolbova/Klimov, Zabiyako/Enbert
Ice Dance: Bobrova/Soloviev, Stepanova/Bukin
https://rsport.ria.ru/winter2018_figure/20180121/1131430683.html
Now they only need to get invited by the Olympics.
We were speculating with what happens if they decide to invite the other athletes. For example, if they invite Ilinykh and Katsalapov without Sinitsina and whoever Ilinyh is supposingly skating with

BittyBug

Disgusted

Anyasnake

Btw what are your predictions for who will be on the Team Event?
Split Alina (LP) and Med (SP). Alina still has an odd record on the SP and they "just" need Med to do what she does to win that portion without giving it all because of her injury. Alina LP gets all the points all the time.

Split the Dance Teams : Step/Bukin do SD and B/S do FD.

It might be tough for T/M to do both but they can be reliable most of the time compared to the others 2 teams. And then, hesitation between splitting Dance or Men (if Men, let Bobrova/Soloviev do the whole Team event).

Splitting the Ladies is absolutely necessary though.

caseyedwards

Ioc just said this. Doesn’t it mean bobrova is banned?

None have been suspended for an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV) in the past. This means that a number of Russian athletes will not be on the list.

C

casken

I asked that weeks ago and was told that Bobrova being "cleared" by WADA made her exempt.

I'm still not convinced.

D

Deleted member 40371

I asked that weeks ago and was told that Bobrova being "cleared" by WADA made her exempt.

I'm still not convinced.
If someone is convicted based on DNA testing and then serves part of the time. Then later on it is shown the whole evidence is flawed and the case is thrown away, do you still call the person a convict ?. It is the same case, WADA claims to have studied impact of the drugs for more than a year, yet they didn’t know how long it stays in the system.
It is amazing what WADA was doing, and what is more Bobrova got no justice for that.

Bellanca

Split Alina (LP) and Med (SP). Alina still has an odd record on the SP and they "just" need Med to do what she does to win that portion without giving it all because of her injury. Alina LP gets all the points all the time.

Split the Dance Teams : Step/Bukin do SD and B/S do FD.

It might be tough for T/M to do both but they can be reliable most of the time compared to the others 2 teams. And then, hesitation between splitting Dance or Men (if Men, let Bobrova/Soloviev do the whole Team event).

Splitting the Ladies is absolutely necessary though.
I agree. This all sounds pretty good. It would be nice if S&B could get in on a team medal.

C

casken

caseyedwards

The issue is does ioc want to make a distinction between suspension from adrv and a provisional suspension from aaf? Can they do so politically?

Bigbird

Sotskova :cheer2:

And I hope they don't screw Bobrova based on fake science. They've already done that to B/S once, and, by extension, to the entire Russian dance program, because B/S surely would have been half of the formula to earn three spots when they were forced out.

They can go either way. Bobrova had no business taking the drug in the first place when no one could be sure how long it would remain in the system. But maybe they'll take into consideration that she's already served some time for failing the doping test. When do we know for sure if they'll be allowed to perform at the OGs? This is just too nerve-wracking.
I can't see how knowing so late in the game is going to to be helpful to anyone, just for that alone they should let her participate. They should have known their fate weeks ago, weeks ago. This is inhumane.

DobrinFan

They can go either way. Bobrova had no business taking the drug in the first place when no one could be sure how long it would remain in the system. But maybe they'll take into consideration that she's already served some time for failing the doping test. When do we know for sure if they'll be allowed to perform at the OGs? This is just too nerve-wracking.
I can't see how knowing so late in the game is going to to be helpful to anyone, just for that alone they should let her participate. They should have known their fate weeks ago, weeks ago. This is inhumane.

Athletes are notified on the 27th, announcement on the 28th. Russia submitted some 500 names and 390 were approved. I'm sure they have an idea by now if she can/can't go.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is really tough. I think it is safe to split the ladies- Med & Zag. IMO Med may want to get more mileage on her LP, so perhaps she should do the LP. Alina can do the SP.

Pairs is tough. If they split them, Z&E should do the SP and T&M the LP, but I just don't see the RSF giving up on S&K, no matter how many falls they have.

This means only one ID and one man will have to do both. I have lost confidence in Kolyada, but can Aliev do both? He is young and inexperienced. I am afraid they may have to split. In that case T&M may have to skate both programs.

B&S have no choice but to skate both.

Marco

I would do this:

Ladies: Medvedeva, Zagitova split short and free
Pairs: Tarasova & Morosov
Men / dance: one split, one doesn't - it doesn't make a difference.

lala

I would like to read a translation of Eteri's interview to Vogue Russia so badly!!!! :wuzrobbed

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information