Adam speaks his mind on US leader chosen for the Oympic delegation

skatingguy

decently
Looks like Pence has responded to Rippon.... and Pence has amnesia it seems.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/01/19/mike-pence-lashes-out-at-gay-olympic-figure-skater/

Mike Pence lashes out at gay Olympic figure skater
Seems like the headline is over selling the story. Pence's office released the statement saying that Rippon is wrong when he says that Pence financed conversion therapy. Hardly seems like 'lashing out'. Of course some of the stories have overplayed Rippon's initial statement as well and I think Adam did well with his full up statement saying something to the effect of being willing to meet with Pence after he is finished competing. I doubt that Pence will be in Korea long enough for Rippon to have completed his competition, but it would be an interesting meeting to be a fly on the wall.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Well, let me be clear now and ask you flat out since you are apparently sarcasm-immune: So, in your view, actors and athletes should not speak out except in circumstances that you pre-approve of, but you have the right to do so and also to tell them how to behave at any time. Am I correct that you are saying that they should keep their opinions to themselves unless you decide the "appropriate time and place" while it's just fine for you to spout your beliefs AND tell them how to behave at will?

Sorry for belaboring this, but I just have to shake my head when people like you tell famous people to shut up while simultaneously dictating how and when and even if they should speak up without limiting the circumstances where YOU can speak and share your opinions freely. I guess the hypocrisy here also flies over your head...

Goodness....a little testy, huh? That was my response to someone who was attempting to be sarcastic.
"People like me"....pretty judgemental of you.

A football player is on the field to play. That is what he is being paid for, and that is what he should do. It has nothing to do with me....it is their obligation. They should do the job they are being paid to do, during the time frame they are supposed to be doing it. What they do on their OWN time is up to them.

As to actors..........they should keep to acting. That is what they are good at. Now, to use that fame to speak out on an issue........sure they have that right, and sometimes that responsibility as in not hiding sexual abusers.
IMO - television award shows have turned into political events. Such nonsense. If they want to change the world, don't arrive in a limo, and talk about global warming. Don't wear a designer gown while speaking about America not doing our share to fight poverty. So, I guess hypocrisy doesn't fly over MY head.

Years and years ago, an actress, Brenda Vacarro did a commercial for some kind of tampon, letting us know that it was her favorite and she was recommending it. I like Ms. Vacarro a lot..........but I am really not interested in her views on random products. Does she have some expertise in the area? Did she get a degree in Tampons? I feel the same way about Actors speaking about policy and government. What makes them knowledgeable. Famous, but not knowledgeable. Give some of those millions to the schools in your community. Go read at libraries (boy one famous person could make a huge difference there). But simply flapping your mouth at the Oscars accomplishes exactly nothing, except a soundbite.

caseyedwards

You don't get to tell anyone how to act. It's Adam's choice. If you think he's hateful and anti-Christian for not wanting to meet at man who wants to force him the change and take away his rights then you are part of the problem.

Calm down and stop jumping down people's throats. If you're going to be judgmental and self-righteous then you should expect to be called out.

Rippon is the one who is all about behaving Christian and boycotting and absenting himself from meetings with people he thinks are sinners is not Christian. The whole point of rippons statement is more religious or theological than political or social.

And the sad part is that if Adam could easily complete quad jumps, casey would probably be defending him...

Lol no!!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I feel the same way about Actors speaking about policy and government. What makes them knowledgeable. Famous, but not knowledgeable.

Actors and football players and everyone else are citizens, regardless of what job they do. And that gives them the right to speak out about issues that they feel strongly about. What makes you any more qualified to speak than them? Judging by some of your posts, I would say there are many actors and football players who are a lot better informed than you on the facts.

Go read at libraries (boy one famous person could make a huge difference there).

Have you been to a library lately?
http://www.ala.org/news/mediapresscenter/factsheets/alacelebrity

Last edited:

ks777

A football player is on the field to play. That is what he is being paid for, and that is what he should do. It has nothing to do with me....it is their obligation. They should do the job they are being paid to do, during the time frame they are supposed to be doing it. What they do on their OWN time is up to them.
They do play football. Are they kneeling the whole time they are supposed to be playing? NO. You know damn well they only kneel during the anthem. It's their right to kneel or stand during that time. So stop making up shit to justify your argument.

Japanfan

A football field is not the place for political anything.

A football field is an ideal place to make a political statement, because it will reach a large audience.

Freedom of expression and the right to protest are key tenets of democracy, and IMO those rights should be exercised more, not less.

And I agree with you to a certain extent that celebrities can be hypocritical when they speak out against poverty or other things at the Academic Awards, wearing gowns that could feed a family for six months. But OTOH, celebrities and people in the public eye arguably have a responsibility to speak out against injustice precisely because they will be heard.

When Patricia (think it was Patricia) Arquette spoke out against gendered wage inequality at last year's Oscars, very, very many women heard and some among them might have been motivated to fight against it.

When Meryl Streep spoke out against Donald Trump mocking women and a disabled man, the world heard her, and it is important that Trump be known for the bigoted, contemptuous man he is.

Power must be held to account. Even so, it's easier to stay silent. Adam has put himself in an uncomfortable and vulnerable position by speaking out, and I applaud him for that.

Now that does not mean you don't have a voice, and you have every right to speak out - be appropriate.

You should be more concerned about your President's inappropriate words and actions than about activism/protests among football players or actors/people in the public eye. The former does far more damage than the latter and has much wider implications.

And as for Adam......how very kind of him to say that he might be willing to meet Mr. Pence.....how very gracious. Adam.....grow up, land your jumps, and respect your country.

But respecting your country means standing up for its citizens and holding the individuals who represent those citizens in government to account. Respect is something earned, not something automatically given.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Japan Fan....nice post. I agree with most of what you say, and applaud the way you said it.
I would like to point out that you have absolutely no idea regarding how I feel about Trump and his behavior, so I am surprised you said I should be more concerned about it.
And, where was Meryl when Harvey Weinstein was abusing her fellow women? She knew, and said nothing. Calling out Trump at an awards ceremony is a sound bite (no matter how accurate the comment is). Protecting an abuser is egregious.

Many Actresses have been speaking out about wage inequality.....and good for them. They have power and experience to make a difference. Although in the work place, I must say as an employer, women are more likely to be absent than men.........having babies, taking care of sick children. That is fact...despite anecdotal evidence that some men take care of that (well.....except for having the babies part).

I understand that the football field has a large audience (which has been shrinking while people are kneeling). If any employee took the opportunity, say during a WebEx demonstration of our services to the LA Superior Court to state their views on political issues, I would fire them. It is not appropriate.

And, respect IS earned, not given. Adam, saying, he might be willing to meet with Pence goes against what he is trying to accomplish. He had an opportunity to go to the White House, and actually have a meaningful conversation, or at the least open a dialogue with the President. He turned his back on that. And with Pence, if Adam wants to help people understand the issues of Gays (whatever they are) is not jumping at the chance to meet with a very powerful figure, and share his views. Who knows what might come of that. Adam has an opportunity to affect change in a meaningful way. What good does it do for him or the issue if he refuses the rare opportunity to speak with someone who actually is in a position of power. Maybe what he could say about the issue could open a door for Pence to start to look through.

At the very least, we can respect different opinions. Pence has a certain point of view, and so does Adam. Until G-d tells me which is correct, I am thinking they have equal standing to have that opinion.

D

Deleted member 53443

I am torn on the issue. I fully respect Adam to speak out of his heart, and I don't doubt for a second he is feeling everything he says. Nobody can judge a person that has been treated badly because of their race or their sexual orientation. Walk in their shoes first. Once, a long time ago, I was not let into a nightclub in Tokyo because it was Japanese only. The humiliation was unique. I felt things I never felt before. I was ready to kill someone.

Muhammed Ali once stood up against a lot of things instead of just playing it nice, and history proved him right. If you think there is NO biased police brutality against blacks AT ALL, then you are just blind. Why wouldn't a football player have the right to bring the issue up?

Now, having said that, I think Adam would get further with a more pragmatic approach. He doesn't have to win the hearts of me or any other person who has no problem with his sexual orientation. While his anger is totally understandable, a "I know Mike Pence doesn't accept my sexual orientation, but in the Olympics I am skating to make every American proud, whatever their political views."-kind of approach.

In this day and age, it simply works better.

Sometimes though, I'm just like, screw it. Let them hear it. lol.

Sylvia

TBD
Adaripp mentions on Twitter - a sampling:

Sam Champion: "Proud to now follow @Adaripp @Aly_Raisman ! Two strong American athletes standing for what they believe in"

Natalie Allen of CNN: My gay son would like the chance to share same with Mr Pence. Thank you Adam. Now, get the GOLD!"

"Today I started following @Adaripp not because I’m interested in skating but because he’s authentic, funny and stands up to haters."

"Researching for an article about @Adaripp and I think I may have accidentally fallen in love with him and now my history is filled with figure skating videos. I don't know how this happened but I'm completely ok with it."

"@Adaripp Imagine 4 a second if @VP objected to leading or attending #Olympics because of any #LGBT athlete??? The up roar would be devastating. But this asshole voices objections against man he does not know. Stupid moron"

"sadly I will not be pulling for you in the Olympics. I only pull for Patriots ... you are from a different country in mind than America... Your loss is a win for America"

"@Adaripp hope you end up last diva bi.tch!"

D

Deleted member 53443

"sadly I will not be pulling for you in the Olympics. I only pull for Patriots ... you are from a different country in mind than America... Your loss is a win for America"

"@Adaripp hope you end up last diva bi.tch!"

Please put these morons on the opposing team in one of my team's hockey games. I'll invite Adam as our coach. It would be fun. Hockey can be very, very physical.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I would like to point out that you have absolutely no idea regarding how I feel about Trump and his behavior, so I am surprised you said I should be more concerned about it.

You have a history of victim-blaming, sexism, pro-gun, anti-choice, "shut up and sit down" posts - I think it's obvious to everyone that you're an ideal Trumper. And if you're somehow not, maybe you should look in the mirror and try and figure out why your posts make people think you are.

He had an opportunity to go to the White House, and actually have a meaningful conversation, or at the least open a dialogue with the President. He turned his back on that. And with Pence, if Adam wants to help people understand the issues of Gays (whatever they are) is not jumping at the chance to meet with a very powerful figure, and share his views. Who knows what might come of that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: This is pure stupidity. A meaningful conversation? With the vile pig that's masquerading as a "president" at the moment? It would never happen. Adam could go in there as meek and respectful as you please and the orange moron would never listen. As for Pence, you're talking about Adam having a supposedly meaningful conversation with a man who wants to pull funding from disease prevention and put it into state-funded torture for gay people. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what was it you were saying about respect?

The very fact that you say something as moronic as "issues of gays (whatever they are)" shows that you have your head shoved right up your ass. There are plenty of places in the US where Adam would be at high risk of being beaten or murdered simply for being who he is.

coppertop1

Yes, how dare Adam not meet someone who wants to deny him rights, and will protect a doctor refuses LGBT treatment. He should just support his country like a good little boy. Why do certain people believe people must unquestioningly support the government? It doesn't. Theodore Roosevelt once said "Patriotism means loyalty to the country, not the president".

VGThuy

Makes you appreciate how the the founding fathers and other patriots got the American Revolution to actually start if they had to deal with so many people who think kow-towing and being meek is the only way one should act.

D

Deleted member 53443

I think athletes should go the the White House though. No president owns that building, we all do. It's the building of the people. I remember when Tim Thomas didn't go after Bruins won the Stanley Cup because of Obama. This doesn't feel right either.

Japanfan

Japan Fan....nice post. I agree with most of what you say, and applaud the way you said it.

Thank you for the acknowledgement.

Although in the work place, I must say as an employer, women are more likely to be absent than men.........having babies, taking care of sick children. That is fact...despite anecdotal evidence that some men take care of that (well.....except for having the babies part).

Oy! Seriously? I don't think I would want to work for an employer who viewed me as a liability because of my sex.

To state the obvious, if women did not have babies, you'd have no workers. And men can take care of sick children. They can take paternity leave. But women still do more of the child-rearing than men, although men's involvement in housework and child-care is much more than it used to be. Part of the reason for this is that women still earn less than men.

As evidenced by this article, women take more sick time than men to care for sick kids and aging parents. http://www.canadianbusiness.com/economy/an-epidemic-of-absenteeism/ Someone has to do it, and men can take on these responsibilities as well.

And you do realize that the reason men have been/are able to devote their lives to work and bread-winning for their families is that women are taking of them, their homes and their children (unless they can or do pay people to do that)? Double income households usually mean women come home to a second shift.

I once read a financial break-down of all the jobs housewives do - driving (to get kids to school and activities, to manage household affairs), cooking, chaperoning, cleaning, arranging schedules, shopping, making phone calls to deal with various issues. If other people (usually women) are paid to do those tasks, it works out to something like $80,000 per year.

Also, I'll point out that most women in the developing world work while pregnant (or sick) and work when they have infants/small children, because they have no choice (a high percentage of the developed world's food is cultivated by women). The same is often true of poor women in the developed world. Grandparents often take care of their children, or groups of 'other mothers' (a term I heard used to describe how African American women raise their kids as a community).

Last edited:

shady82

How unsurprising to find that discussion about Adam's statements are erupting before my eyes online! :lol:

I'm sure Adam and Ashley expected some controversy to stir after their statements. If I were giving them advice, I would tell them to not give a f*** about the 'losers' who berate them endlessly online about their public statements. And suggest Ashley and Adam invite these netizens to voice criticisms to their faces if they cared so much.

If I were an athlete going to the Olympics, straight or gay, I won't go to the White House to visit Trump. And also wouldn't give a rats ass what others think of my decision.

Japanfan

He had an opportunity to go to the White House, and actually have a meaningful conversation, or at the least open a dialogue with the President. He turned his back on that. And with Pence, if Adam wants to help people understand the issues of Gays (whatever they are) is not jumping at the chance to meet with a very powerful figure, and share his views.

If for some reason I had the same opportunity, I don't know if I'd take it. I would not be willing to shake Pence's hand, or Trump's for that matter. That would probably shut down the conversation opportunity. But for me, refusing the handshake would say all I needed to say.

Who knows what might come of that.

It might be a good thing for Adam or anyone to step forward and criticize Pence/Trump for their views of trans/gays or women or anything for that matter.

But would the meet and greet in question actually allow a person such an opportunity? I expect it would be a largely superficial, ceremonial affair, and that it might therefore be difficult to find an opening to pursue a politically-related, socially-charged conversation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 53443

Nelson Mandela proved that if the time is right and you move on from being a martyr to being a pragmatic fella, you get things done. But hey, that was before twitter.

AxelAnnie

Oy! Seriously? I don't think I would want to work for an employer who viewed me as a liability because of my sex.

To state the obvious, if women did not have babies, you'd have no workers. And men can take care of sick children. They can take paternity leave. But women still do more of the child-rearing than men, although men's involvement in housework and child-care is much more than it used to be. Part of the reason for this is that women still earn less than men.

As evidenced by this article, women take more sick time than men to care for sick kids and aging parents. http://www.canadianbusiness.com/economy/an-epidemic-of-absenteeism/ Someone has to do it, and men can take on these responsibilities as well.

And you do realize that the reason men have been/are able to devote their lives to work and bread-winning for their families is that women are taking of them, their homes and their children (unless they can or do pay people to do that)? Double income households usually mean women come home to a second shift.

I once read a financial break-down of all the jobs housewives do - driving (to get kids to school and activities, to manage household affairs), cooking, chaperoning, cleaning, arranging schedules, shopping, making phone calls to deal with various issues, taking kids. If other people (usually women) are paid to do those tasks, it works out to something like $80,000 per year.

Also, I'll point out that most women in the developing world work while pregnant and work when they have infants/small children, because they have no choice. The same is often true of poor women in the developed world. Grandparents often take care of their children, or groups of 'other mothers' (a term I heard used to describe how African American women raise their kids as a community).

I once read a financial break-down of all the jobs housewives do - driving (to get kids to school and activities, to manage household affairs), cooking, chaperoning, cleaning, arranging schedules, shopping, making phone calls to deal with various issues, taking kids. If other people (usually women) are paid to do those tasks, it works out to something like $80,000 per year.

Also, I'll point out that most women in the developing world work while pregnant and work when they have infants/small children, because they have no choice. The same is often true of poor women in the developed world. Grandparents often take care of their children, or groups of 'other mothers' (a term I heard used to describe how African American women raise their kids as a community).
Oh you did not understand my point.....but at least you agree with the facts of life....so to speak.

I run an all women company. I have had the pleasure of having 4 babies come into the world on my watch. I have had such fun decorating their offices as nurseries.........crib, recliner, changing tables.
Our motto is families come first..........we always have each other's back........and pick up the slack when needed.

One of the kids was very sick, with a blood disorder. 8 weeks her mom needed to stay home with eyes on to make sure Isabelle did not get a bruise or fall. And 8 weeks she was off, with full pay.

There is a difference between discriminating against, and understanding that women with small children will need more flexibility. Facts are useful guidelines.

As to going to the White House or taking a knee. We will just have to disagree. It is probably as much a generational thing as a right/wrong thing. I grew up standing for the National Anthem.................still do...........even if I am in my house alone.....I stop the car when I can and stand.

I was taught to respect the office of the President........regardless of what I thought of his policies or hm as a person. Period.

Japanfan

Oh you did not understand my point.....but at least you agree with the facts of life....so to speak.

I run an all women company. I have had the pleasure of having 4 babies come into the world on my watch. I have had such fun decorating their offices as nurseries.........crib, recliner, changing tables.
Our motto is families come first..........we always have each other's back........and pick up the slack when needed.

Glad to know that AxelAnnie, and good for you. :respec:

There is a difference between discriminating against, and understanding that women with small children will need more flexibility. Facts are useful guidelines.

Men with small children will need the same, if they are sole or joint childcare providers.

As to going to the White House or taking a knee. We will just have to disagree. It is probably as much a generational thing as a right/wrong thing. I grew up standing for the National Anthem.................still do...........even if I am in my house alone.....I stop the car when I can and stand.

I don't think it is a generational thing. Case in point: your country was born of revolution. :)

I was taught to respect the office of the President........regardless of what I thought of his policies or hm as a person. Period.

Respect for the office does not mean the person who holds it automatically merits respect - to the contrary, respect for the office demands that the person holding it earns respect.

And there is so much wrong with your 'regardless of . . . .'. Policies directly impact citizens, and if you/people are to respect a person who would implement harmful, damaging policies, then you support tyranny and oppression. I don't think that is the American way.

AxelAnnie

Glad to know that AxelAnnie, and good for you. :respec:
Thanks. And of course same goes for men who are the caretakers.

Men with small children will need the same, if they are sole or joint childcare providers.

I don't think it is a generational thing. Case in point: your country was born of revolution. :)

Respect for the office does not mean the person who holds it automatically merits respect - to the contrary, respect for the office demands that the person holding it earns respect.

And there is so much wrong with your 'regardless of . . . .'. Policies directly impact citizens, and if you/people are to respect a person who would implement harmful, damaging policies, then you support tyranny and oppression. I don't think that is the American way.[/QUOTE]
I agree with most of what you say. And people can have their own opinion of others beliefs. I get Pence from a religious POV. That is the doctrine of his faith. Faiths are ever evolving...well most are. I suspect Pence is a nice man who has done much good. And does not...yet...have an evolved view of gay being a state of being ...like being white...rather than a choice that is made. He isn't there yet. May not get there...but Adams comments are polarizing and don" T help either man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information