Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir # 47: Come What May...

Goody2shoes

Well deserved honour indeed :) What a wonderful feeling it must be to conclude their amazing career/skating journey with this honour. Can't imagine how excited Canadian fans must be feeling right now ...

If according to schedule, they'll have a couple of days to rest between the team event and individual. Maybe V/M considered them doable based on their experience from Sochi? Wish them best performances on all events :)

Opening ceremony is scheduled for Friday, Feb.9th. Team Event (Skating) Feb.11th (SD) &12th (FD). Later, Ice Dance: (individual discipline) Feb.19th (SD) and 20th (FD)

Canada's official Olympics 2018 website
https://olympic.ca/pyeongchang-2018-competition-schedule/

I always thought that team event would have been nice to held after individual medaling. Does anyone know if committee did this way to draw more crowds?

Last edited:

manhn

In 2014, NBC opposed having the Team Event end the Games. They wanted the Ladies to be the final skating competition.

topaz

In 2014, NBC opposed having the Team Event end the Games. They wanted the Ladies to be the final skating competition.

LOL, I think the final skating event should be the team event or another discipline like Dance or Men's.

Golden1

Nothing against the US, but how can it be that one country decides for everyone? It's the same with the time schedule. In my dream scenario the schedule (event- and time-wise) would be done in cooperation with the athletes and the TV stations would have to deal with the result. But money wins, so nothing will change...

Goody2shoes

Thanks for answering my question. I guess, besides money, it's tradition to conclude figure skating competitions with Ladies event. I'm with topaz if it were my choice of order of events. On topic of tradition, a friend of mine just informed me that Tessa & Scott would be breaking tradition by becoming the first duo (male & female) in history of Winter Olympics to carry the flag. Awesome, yes :) True?

Zazy

My first thought was that it was a really risky thing to do considering they have to skate four programs in two weeks right after. But they look so happy and excited, probably it means more to them than a potential 2nd Olympic gold medal.

Still, why can't they drop one of the team event skates? It's the team event, noone cares! (except them, apparently...)

I guess I can see how they would want to experience as much of the Olympics as they can, since it's their last one. I hope they enjoy it!

elisa_p

My god...as a Canadian I am soooo thrilled to hear the news! They totally deserve this and honestly they would be crazy to turn down this opportunity. Especially considering the lead up to the last two games was probably incredibly stressful for them between injuries and lack of coaching support. So I’m so glad they have this lead up to really soak in and enjoy the Olympic expirence. Something tells me that they’ll treasure the memories from this week and that walk with the flag for a lifetime and regardless of which colour medal they end up winning and I couldn’t be happier for them. Needless to say I wish they’d ditch one of the team event as well but they are very patriotic people and it probably means a great deal to them to be part to the team event. They know the risks and if they’re happy then i’m happy.

bbkenn

I think they want to skate as much as possible and get more mileage on those programs with the changes they've made before they perform in the individual events. They look so confident and happy, more like they were last year, and I wish them all the best!!! Can't wait to see all the skating.

sap5

They mentioned in an interview that they're working with b210 and MF+P to figure out the best way to be flag-bearers and still be ready for all their events. If I had all the support b210 provides, I wouldn't turn down the chance to be flag bearer either. ;)

Agree that it's a good idea to use the team event to get the programs in front of the judges before the individual event. If they score well, then they get momentum. If they have no chance of winning, then doing the team event won't make much of a difference anyway.

Goody2shoes

They mentioned in an interview that they're working with b210 and MF+P to figure out the best way to be flag-bearers and still be ready for all their events. If I had all the support b210 provides, I wouldn't turn down the chance to be flag bearer either. ;)

Agree that it's a good idea to use the team event to get the programs in front of the judges before the individual event. If they score well, then they get momentum. If they have no chance of winning, then doing the team event won't make much of a difference anyway.
I agree with the training aspect. As it is, they said they train on ice for at least 4hr/day. In between resting period and other non-ice activity. Correct? I trust they would have consulted the trainers. Plus they did have experience at Sochi. Only concern probably i think is overcoming the jet lag first and stay/feel healthy all through the weeks during Olympics. As for team event, I presume Canada wants to score as many points to get gold? Best chance is to put their best athletes to perform. I look at this also as dress rehearsal for V/M. Oh it also occurred to me that we can somewhat get a feel on how the judging will be (and scores will given) to the programs then too. In comparison to what they've earned so far from past competitions. (Pray for clean skate on both events, of course) If they gain momentum from this, it will surely boost their confidence going into individual event. Hope all goes well and smoothly...

Last edited:

Sonata

A behind the scenes look at the photo shoot for the flag bearing announcement.

Video

How cool is it that we get male and female collaborators as flag bearers in this age of the MeToo movement? Perfect choice, Canada.

Regarding agreeing to be in the running to be flagbearer, I wouldn’t be surprised. A few Olympics ago, the chosen Canadian flag bearer and defending Olympic champ competed the next day or after (can’t remember which) and did not medal. He complained loudly that he should never have accepted to be flagbearer. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Team Canada now floats the idea to potential flag bearers before they offer the position to them.

I have full confidence V/M will be prepared for the team event. They look genuinely overjoyed and have embraced this honour.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
A behind the scenes look at the photo shoot for the flag bearing announcement.

Video

How cool is it that we get male and female collaborators as flag bearers in this age of the MeToo movement? Perfect choice, Canada.

Regarding agreeing to be in the running to be flagbearer, I wouldn’t be surprised. A few Olympics ago, the chosen Canadian flag bearer and defending Olympic champ competed the next day or after (can’t remember which) and did not medal. He complained loudly that he should never have accepted to be flagbearer. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Team Canada now floats the idea to potential flag bearers before they offer the position to them.

I have full confidence V/M will be prepared for the team event. They look genuinely overjoyed and have embraced this honour.

Jean Luc Brassard in moguls. I don't think he was too loud, but he did say he didn't take flag bearing responsibilities into account enough. I vaguely remember even Elvis said he wasn't sure he'd say yes if asked then, in 1998.

kittysk8ts

Jean Luc Brassard in moguls. I don't think he was too loud, but he did say he didn't take flag bearing responsibilities into account enough. I vaguely remember even Elvis said he wasn't sure he'd say yes if asked then, in 1998.

Yes, it clearly is exhausting. I think Tessa said they have 2 rehearsals to attend for the Opening Ceremony. These will undoubtedly be time consuming and then the ceremony itself will be long, tiring and emotional.

Apparently Mike Slipchuk told them about the offer "half way through" the Canadian Championships. So, they had time to consult Marie-France and Patch and to discuss the pros and cons. Honestly, I am so glad they said yes. I have faith in them, because of their experience and ability to understand their limitations. They know this is going to be challenging.

Parsley Sage

I know for a few Olympics, the various federations would put forth the name of one of their athletes to the Canadian Olympic Association to be considered as flag bearer(s). I'm guessing they still do something similar to that so the athletes are aware and can make the choice to be under consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information